[Yuen] OHP>BW. Go.

Yuen

I've been having a bad run with completing 6WCs. I'd like to blame it on being sick (I'm still sick too!!) but I think I'm just making excuses.

Thus it is time for a really simple challenge.

(Step 1) Do OHP

(Step 2) Aim for 1RM of 75kg or greater (current BW 74kg)

(Step 3) See how much improvement I get on my parallette handstand push ups :)

(Step 4) Profit

I'm doing other exercises of course (otherwise this would be the most unbalanced exercise regime ever :)), but for simplicity I'm only going to log my OHP in this 6WC.

1 Aug 2015

OHP 

Warm up 20kg 7reps

60kg 7,5,5 (~5 mins break between sets)

First rep for each set is a push press. Other reps touch and go. Some reps didn't touch clavicle/chest  :(

Just a thought - if you are training for an OHP goal, then I'm not sure if the push press and then touch and go will be best for you. When you go to attempt your 1RM, you will be doing so from a dead stop, but not of your reps are helping to train that. Your first one is using the push and the latter reps are using the stretch reflex. Maybe that's just how you did these sets, but I would try and get one competition style rep in for each set.

Good luck! I've also been eyeing this goal for a while. The last time I tested my press was at 84 KG and bodyweight was at 91.5. I'm hoping this is my year if I can finally manage to lose some weight.

• Like 2

The iron never lies.

Agreed with mgage.

I don't think push press would hurt as a finisher, but I would start with strict presses for the initial work sets.

Where is your 1RM at now/last you tested?

Just a thought - if you are training for an OHP goal, then I'm not sure if the push press and then touch and go will be best for you. When you go to attempt your 1RM, you will be doing so from a dead stop, but not of your reps are helping to train that. Your first one is using the push and the latter reps are using the stretch reflex. Maybe that's just how you did these sets, but I would try and get one competition style rep in for each set.

Good luck! I've also been eyeing this goal for a while. The last time I tested my press was at 84 KG and bodyweight was at 91.5. I'm hoping this is my year if I can finally manage to lose some weight.

Thanks for the tips mgage. I tried with a pause at the bottom, and it certainly was a lot harder.

I'm kind of not a real warrior, as a competition OHP isn't my main goal. OHP is my accessory exercise to get a nicer form handstand pushup.

Basically I want this (taken in late Feb 2015) to be silky smooth (I was frustrated with my HSPU plateau with bodyweight training, so I looked to the OHP as a way of kickstarting my progress again):

To be honest I'd be happy reaching a BW touch and go OHP first, and then working on a strict one with a pause at the bottom later.

Agreed with mgage.

I don't think push press would hurt as a finisher, but I would start with strict presses for the initial work sets.

Where is your 1RM at now/last you tested?

62.5kg :) (yesterday). This is my first time trying OHP.

I just made a complete guess that having BW OHP would be a reasonable goal, since I assumed that doing a parallette wall HSPU is probably around ~85-90% BW OHP. I could be way off. I guess I will find out soon :)

• Like 1

For most of us mere mortals not named @Rookiebeotch, @mgage, @wildross, & @Shortgorilla, OHP is by far the hardest lift and quickest one to stall out. But if you're doing it in order to assist your HSPUs then keep up with the way you're going. Though having a stronger strict press will obviously translate as well.

• Like 1

6 Aug 2015

OHP 

Warm up 20kg

62.5kgx5,4,3 (~5 mins break between sets)

40kgx8 (drop set with no break from last 62.5kg set)

First rep strict press with pause. Then all touch and go.

Also.... I just bought a house today!!! Bye bye apartment. Hello power rack in garage! I'm perusing the internet as we speak for sexy power racks :)

• Like 1

For most of us mere mortals not named @Rookiebeotch, @mgage, @wildross, & @Shortgorilla, OHP is by far the hardest lift and quickest one to stall out. But if you're doing it in order to assist your HSPUs then keep up with the way you're going. Though having a stronger strict press will obviously translate as well.

Thanks for all the tips and help Matty :)

You flatter me, sir.

Sent from my N9520 using Tapatalk

I visit your battle log every 2-3 weeks or so when I need a mental boost on a day where I feel a bit unmotivated because <insert excuse here>. Some very inspiring stuff going on :)

Don't listen to Matty. OHP is easy.

Aren't you supposed to call him a bitch at some point in your post?

• Like 2

Yeah, don't know what his beef is.  All you need is a big chest, strong back and killer arms.  Easy peasy.

anyway, I find that inclined press helps a lot with both bench and overhead.  And chest exercises in general respond to a lot of volume.  So 5 sets of 10 at 70-80% of your max.  And all variations of pushups of course.  (At first I thought your embedded video was rotated 180 degrees.  Then I was oh, he's doing handstand pushups....)

• Like 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Haha, no I love the press mostly because it's hard and not everyone has a great overhead. Plus there is a lot of strongman events centered around it. But we all see in the forums that everyone stalls on it first and makes 2.5lbs PRs while their bench jumps by 5 or more.

And I agree...incline has always been a mover of my press and bench.

So looking at the motion of the HSPU, there is going to be a few issues with using the standard presses (though it should still help).  For all of the presses, your grip is 90 deg off from what you are doing on the HSPU, and you should be rotating your arms forward (trying to break the bar) to protect your shoulders.  Your positioning for the HSPU is very different.

Have you thought about using dumbbells instead of the bar, so the hand/arm/shoulder position is more similar?

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

So looking at the motion of the HSPU, there is going to be a few issues with using the standard presses (though it should still help).  For all of the presses, your grip is 90 deg off from what you are doing on the HSPU, and you should be rotating your arms forward (trying to break the bar) to protect your shoulders.  Your positioning for the HSPU is very different.

Have you thought about using dumbbells instead of the bar, so the hand/arm/shoulder position is more similar?

Or a football/swiss bar? Not sure if your gym has these, as they are specialty bars.

I have thought about dumbbells, but I'm quite happy performing a partially different motion. I hit a plateau improving the form of my HSPU doing it the regular bodyweight way, so I wanted to do something a little bit different but still with a good cross over strength gain.

The other reason I don't want to use dumbbells is that I will be converting from a gym membership to a home gym soon (by November 2015). And I was planning on a very simple home gym: power rack (with chin up bar and dip attachments of course!), bench, weights belt (for weighted chins and dips of course!), barbell and weights. So I wasn't planning to take up space with dumbbells. I wanted to pick an exercise that I would keep doing for the long term (ie beyond my transition to a garage gym)

Or a football/swiss bar? Not sure if your gym has these, as they are specialty bars.

My gym actually has one of the strongman metal log things, with a neutral grip style handle - which mimics my parallel bar HSPU motion quite well. But for the same reason as I gave Wildross above, I was pretty happy just doing OHP.

Also all the warriors do OHP. I just want to fit in *sniff* :tongue:

• Like 1

Oh here you are! Hadn't realized you'd moved to a challenge thread. And a warrior one too! o/

Actually i think moving to dumbbells wouldn't be more similar (though ofc the hand/arm/shoulder position would be)... the ehm... 'chain' of the movement would be far more open. Stabilizing with dumbbells is so much harder, therefore you'd be able to use far less weight. And the HSPU also has a closer chain.

It's like the difference between doing dips on paralletes or in rings.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Oh here you are! Hadn't realized you'd moved to a challenge thread. And a warrior one too! o/

Actually i think moving to dumbbells wouldn't be more similar (though ofc the hand/arm/shoulder position would be)... the ehm... 'chain' of the movement would be far more open. Stabilizing with dumbbells is so much harder, therefore you'd be able to use far less weight. And the HSPU also has a closer chain.

It's like the difference between doing dips on paralletes or in rings.

o/ Hi KB!

I've been really busy with 'adulting' recently - the wife and I bought a new house, and we have been madly organising to sell our current properties to avoid sitting at a ridonculous debt for too long. As a result I've been a bit slack at keeping up to date with everyone else's challenge/log threads, and only barely managing to update my own :)

Good point about the dumbbells. I guess maybe if I ever get to the stage of a rings HSPU then I should work towards a dumbbell BW/2 press. However I'm not sure if I will ever achieve that in my lifetime. I would one day like to get a freestanding full ROM HSPU though... (like 0:25 in the ido portal video below)

• Like 1

Hey, found you :) I'm especially interested in this as I've hit a massive plateau in the OHP at 60% BW and I'm interested in moving that up to 75% over the coming Winter, and looking here for motivation.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

OHP: 65x2,4,3 40x10,4 drop set

10 Aug 2015

OHP 

Warm up 20kg

65kgx2,4,3 (~5 mins break between sets)

40kgx10 (drop set with no break from last 65kg set)

40kgx4 (another set after a 5 breath break)

The first rep of the 65kg was a strict press (I'm starting to grind - this doesn't bode well for a strict BW OHP). The rest were touch and go.

I'm feeling reasonably confident about reaching a touch and go BW OHP by the end of the challenge.