[Yuen] OHP>BW. Go.

Yuen

Haha I use your challenges for motivation too :)I have a tendency to just silently stalk and lurk in the background though :(

Quit that shit

• Like 1

You are just uncomfortable that there are more people that understand your nature as a powerbottom than you previously thought.

False!

I want more people to join in on the nonsense and debauchery.

• Like 1

The touch-and-go nature may improve with the free neurological optimizations you get after training with a higher weight, but it will be tough to get an extra 10kg in the next 3-4 weeks :o I'd suggest figuring out the weakest part of your overhead press (the initial push? the middle section where the bar is around eye-level? the very top?) and add in some auxiliary exercises at the end of each overhead press session to help with that specific weakest part.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

o/ Hi KB!

I've been really busy with 'adulting' recently - the wife and I bought a new house, and we have been madly organising to sell our current properties to avoid sitting at a ridonculous debt for too long. As a result I've been a bit slack at keeping up to date with everyone else's challenge/log threads, and only barely managing to update my own :)

Good point about the dumbbells. I guess maybe if I ever get to the stage of a rings HSPU then I should work towards a dumbbell BW/2 press. However I'm not sure if I will ever achieve that in my lifetime. I would one day like to get a freestanding full ROM HSPU though... (like 0:25 in the ido portal video below)

That would be really awesome indeed! :) How is your handstand?

Also don't worry about it, I/we still enjoy reading your updates and occasional comments, even if they're not super frequent. Adulting is good :D

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth... I went on a conference/ski holiday in Queenstown, New Zealand for a week!

The touch-and-go nature may improve with the free neurological optimizations you get after training with a higher weight, but it will be tough to get an extra 10kg in the next 3-4 weeks  :o I'd suggest figuring out the weakest part of your overhead press (the initial push? the middle section where the bar is around eye-level? the very top?) and add in some auxiliary exercises at the end of each overhead press session to help with that specific weakest part.

Good luck  :)

The lower middle section (or upper lower section lol) is where I am the weakest. I actually do exactly what you suggest in my drop sets - I purposely stop and pause all around that weakest section (until the end reps where I do anything I can to get the bar up).

You pretty much figured out the reasoning behind my programming. I purposely want to 'get used' to the feel of my target heavy weight, even if it compromises form. Then I do some accessory work targeting my weakest section. Once I am doing volume at my target heavy weight, then I will add some sets where I work on perfect form (at a lower weight), then slowly attempt to increase the weight, until I have perfect form at my target weight.

That would be really awesome indeed!  :) How is your handstand?

Also don't worry about it, I/we still enjoy reading your updates and occasional comments, even if they're not super frequent. Adulting is good  :D

The handstand is pretty crappy at the moment. If I walk all over the place constantly over-correcting I can stay up for 20+ seconds. But actually standing still in one place? I suck badly.

I want to get a good form full ROM wall handstand push up first before working on my static handstand... its just my personal order of how 'fun' things are for me lol :)

• Like 1

Before the holiday I did these OHP sets. (During the holiday I just did paused elevated handstand push ups on the thickest pair of books I could find in the holiday house)

13 Aug (Thur)

OHP:

20kg warm up

65kg x 5,4,3

40kg x11,3 drop sets (pause at bottom)

Touch and go work sets

16 Aug (Sun)

OHP:

20kg warm up

67.5kg x 3,4,3

40kg x 9,4 drop sets (pause at bottom)

First rep of 67.5kg was strict press. The rest were touch and go.

Hopefully I can get back to the gym tomorrow!

What the hell are you doing in here?! No wonder it took me 4 weeks to find you :)

Impressive HSPU's, I am so jelly! Desperate to do some overhead work after a year now of injury precluding me. Will be interesting to live vicariously through your OHP progression! 

Congrats on the new house, we need a meetup soon to catch up. I'm guessing lower N shore?

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

Haha, that describes my handstands too... walking around all over the place is reasonably easy, but actually staying in one place takes so much technique-based warm-up even to get to 4-5 seconds... and this is after lots of practising. Handstand push-ups will probably be helped lots by your OHP - in fact with an OHP of 90% BW I'd be surprised if you can't already do the top part of the motion at 100+% BW, which is very similar to a handstand push-up....

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

What the hell are you doing in here?! No wonder it took me 4 weeks to find you :)

Impressive HSPU's, I am so jelly! Desperate to do some overhead work after a year now of injury precluding me. Will be interesting to live vicariously through your OHP progression! 

Congrats on the new house, we need a meetup soon to catch up. I'm guessing lower N shore?

Haha, how did you guess lower north shore? Spot on. Do I look like a lower north shore person? :) :)

Haha, that describes my handstands too... walking around all over the place is reasonably easy, but actually staying in one place takes so much technique-based warm-up even to get to 4-5 seconds... and this is after lots of practising. Handstand push-ups will probably be helped lots by your OHP - in fact with an OHP of 90% BW I'd be surprised if you can't already do the top part of the motion at 100+% BW, which is very similar to a handstand push-up....

I'm trying to find some motivation to practise 'still' handstands... but I always struggle when I set it as a goal :(

• Like 1

27 Aug (Thur)

OHP:

67.5kgx2,2

60kgx4

40kg drop sets (pause at bottom)

31 Aug (Mon)

OHP:

70kgx1,1

60kgx4

6 Sep (Sun)

OHP:

72.5kgx1,1

60kgx5

12 Sep (Sat)

OHP:

75kgx1

60kgx4,5,2

Notes:

I got sick again (+wife and baby) :(

The 27 Aug session felt terrible. I then adjusted to drop volume, but kept up with the weight increases (since my peak strength is relatively unaffected during sickness, but my endurance/ability to do volume goes to sh*t.

End of challenge summary:

BW:74kg

75kg = achieved but 'touch and go'. Also form goes to the crapper (back arch, reclining etc)

67.5kg = achieved a 'strict press'. I still naturally recline a bit to maximise mechanical advantage though, but nothing *too* terrible.

60kg = can do volume (up to 5 reps a set) with absolute perfect form.

I did a pretty crap job of updating, partly due to holidays, partly due to sickness, mostly due to me just being lazy :(

• Like 1

Haha, how did you guess lower north shore? Spot on. Do I look like a lower north shore person? :) :)

Heh heh, open season on gratuitous insults there but I'll bite my tongue :tongue: You'd mentioned you were looking there and your wife was keen on the area, wives usually win these sorts of discussions in my experience :lol: It's a nice part of Sydney to be in, I lived in Neutral Bay for a while, the foreshore walk round Cremorne Point is one of my favourites. 

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

I'm very impressed that you achieved the 75kg OHP! You should be very proud of yourself there :) I'm the same weight as you and I'm struggling at 40kg... Are you going to be posting a fresh challenge now?

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

I'm very impressed that you achieved the 75kg OHP! You should be very proud of yourself there :) I'm the same weight as you and I'm struggling at 40kg... Are you going to be posting a fresh challenge now?

Not much posting, but it's the training that matters right.

Whats the next plan?

Thanks for accountability you two!

I'm probably not going to do the current challenge :( I'm only just managing to maintain at the moment.

Our family has been a constant merry-go-round of sickness since my little girl started at childcare. Also sleep has been pretty bad for months now, due to her waking up constantly at night. Even so I had got used to those things and could work around them but....

Recently we added selling our apartments to fund our new house purchase to the mix, and then our girl has got some medical problems which required a lot of doctor's appointments and tests, and is culminating in surgery next Tuesday.

So yeah... I'm just maintaining for the moment, and putting my family as #1  :) :)

Ahh, sorry to hear about the illnesses and injury your family's been having :( Hope everything's back to normal again soon and that this wave of problems means that there won't be any other bad surprises for a long time.

Let us know when you're back to NF central :)

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin