I like cars, you like cars, this is a thread for cars.

Just out of grad school and my little old Honda Fit is getting on in years and miles. Now that life has money in it I'm debating what to get next.

A lot of my work will be done in national parks and rural spots so I've been considering something a bit more durable. I've liked Honda and I've heard the CRV is pretty reliable, but I'm also considering Subaru because... Subaru.

Though there's a not insignificant part of me that wants to go full bro and get a jeep. I try not to listen to it because they're not really particularly economical, and I hear they break pretty often.

The desire is still there though.

Miles run, 17.3/72

24%
24%

Days with logged fitness 9/43

20.9%
20.9%

Days without refined sugar 7/43
16.3%
16.3%

my challenge thread!

Seconding the Chevy pickup. Jeeps are good though. Really so long as it ain't an import, a soccer mom special, or a Ford(excluding Mustang) I like it.

Every time people fight about Ford over Chevy, a marketing exec smiles.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Any of the full size trucks are going to take a lot more gas than a CRV or Subaru.  My BIL showed up to a campout in the river bottoms in his wife's 14 outback and we all laughed until he went right up the levee.  If Ford irons out there issues with mytouch then they are up there in quality with imports.  Chevy has caught up a lot on dependability but I still wouldn't buy a Mopar.

I drive an Xterra, 2003 the second to last year they came with a manual T case.  If I had to get a New SUV now I would look seriously at a Fourrunner.  But I tend to stick with vehicles a long time (last car I had as a daily driver 14 years) and I like a nice simple vehicle.

And Ford, Xerox and Coke have all stopped donating to PP, but that's another ball of wax.

• Like 1

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

I'd consider a truck, but i'm regularly going to have to commute with it too, and travel will be enough of an issue that I'm trying to find some balance between decent gas mileage and durability.

Trying to keep to the mid to high 20s range on mpg

Also considered going diesel to keep it up there, but there aren't many options I've seen outside of vw, and most of those are smaller cars.

Not that I'm against a smaller car, I've seen smaller vw's turned to rally cars, but I'd rather not have to do a ton of work to it to make sure it can handle regular trips up and down dirt roads. I'm not doing any serious off-roading, but as an archaeologist, I'm every so often going end up needing to deal with crappy dirt roads.

Miles run, 17.3/72

24%
24%

20.9%
20.9%

16.3%
16.3%

my challenge thread!

I'd consider a truck, but i'm regularly going to have to commute with it too, and travel will be enough of an issue that I'm trying to find some balance between decent gas mileage and durability.

Trying to keep to the mid to high 20s range on mpg

Also considered going diesel to keep it up there, but there aren't many options I've seen outside of vw, and most of those are smaller cars.

Not that I'm against a smaller car, I've seen smaller vw's turned to rally cars, but I'd rather not have to do a ton of work to it to make sure it can handle regular trips up and down dirt roads. I'm not doing any serious off-roading, but as an archaeologist, I'm every so often going end up needing to deal with crappy dirt roads.

My 02 Ram got 22 mpg, and it was an extended cab as well, newer ones might do better, I've had guys tell me their gas Rams are getting 20 now.

I do think either Toyota or Nissan are coming out with a Diesel next year that's a small truck... I'll see if I can find anything for you.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

My 02 Ram got 22 mpg, and it was an extended cab as well, newer ones might do better, I've had guys tell me their gas Rams are getting 20 now.

I do think either Toyota or Nissan are coming out with a Diesel next year that's a small truck... I'll see if I can find anything for you.

That's really not bad for a truck. I'll go check them out for sure. Thank you.

Now that I think about it one of our field trucks was a Nissan. I'll take a gander at their line up too.

Miles run, 17.3/72

24%
24%

20.9%
20.9%

16.3%
16.3%

my challenge thread!

That's really not bad for a truck. I'll go check them out for sure.

Now that I think about it one of our field trucks was a Nissan. I'll take a gander at their line up too.

I was impressed at what it could do, for as big as it was. Being able to tow a house helped too... The only part I hated was replacing batteries, oil, etc... Stuff lasts longer but there's more of it to replace. Oil could go 10,000- 15,000 miles, but replacing it is 10 quarts.

I could find that toyota is bringing a full size diesel, but no smaller one. Nissan looks like they're bringing both...http://www.carpricenews.com/2016-nissan-frontier/

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

I currently drive a 92 jeep 4 cylinder and an 04 jetta diesel.

The jetta is a mountain goat, front wheel drive with a manual has to be the easiest car I have ever driven in the snow by a good margin. Last winter I drove my jetta in bad weather more than the jeep. It also gets over 40 mpg and I drive like I'm on fire most of the time. Now that I worm less than 10 miles from home I refill the jetta once a month at most.

The 4 banger jeep... I get 13-15mpg mainly because you have to keep it floored to keep from being road hazard.I can only go 70+ mph if I go downhill with a favorable wind. But this thing just won't die! They are stupid easy to fix, I can fit inside the engine bay if I really wanted to. It is fun as hell to drive. I've never managed to get myself stuck. It turns like a zero point lawnmower. Chicks dig it and I got it for 3 grand.

That being said if you get a jeep don't buy the 4 banger.

Hwrdfrnd - Goblin Adventurer

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge

One more thing about the jetta I forgot to type out. You know how every car has those problems that are common to that make and model? The jetta has a huge list of those.

My trunk doesn't lock anymore.

My window doesn't work anymore,

my a/c doesn't work anymore.

Passenger side heated seat doesn't work anymore.

The transmission has been replaced.

Been through 2 water pumps which by the way can seize and snap the timing belt and in a diesel will blow your whole damned engine

All of these are common to that car except the tranny. I think the PO was rough on it

I've spent many times more on this 10 year old car that I've had 3 years than on my 23 year old jeep that I've had 7 years

All the jeep has needed was a fuel pump a starter a distributor and general maintenance

Current Challenge

I kinda hate that Titan is getting a cummins V8... to me that's all marketing and Cummins straight 6 is the way to go.

I wish Jeep woulda pushed the CRD liberty more.  I think they are trying diesel again in the Grands.  The us taxation and regulation is not as favorable to diesel as t is in europe.  We had a 79 diesel Rabbit that got mpg that would still be impressive.Ford has some sweet euro zone diesels I keep hearing rumors will come stateside.

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

In line engines don't get enough love.

My first car was an old volvo with a straight 5. As a teenager I was bummed because it wasn't a "sexy" car, but it had great pickup, was comfortable, and never broke down on me regardless of how much I beat the crap out of it (I was 16, I didn't know shit from shit about how to take care of a car).

Also those little vw diesels are something else, I have a friend who has an old golf that's got to have 250k miles on it and it gets better gas mileage than my fit did.

Miles run, 17.3/72

24%
24%

20.9%
20.9%

16.3%
16.3%

my challenge thread!

My wife just bought a '16 Explorer.  She loves it.  One of my work cars is the Explorer and it'll haul some serious ass!!! (Oh... my work car, it's a cop car, that is one reason I know it hauls ass!!!)  It's also frickin' awesome!!!  

I'm normally a MOPAR guy, but I'm currently driving a F-150 and really happy with it. 

3 things I'll NEVER own...1) Chevy 2) Glock 3) pit.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

My wife just bought a '16 Explorer.  She loves it.  One of my work cars is the Explorer and it'll haul some serious ass!!! (Oh... my work car, it's a cop car, that is one reason I know it hauls ass!!!)  It's also frickin' awesome!!!  

I'm normally a MOPAR guy, but I'm currently driving a F-150 and really happy with it. 

3 things I'll NEVER own...1) Chevy 2) Glock 3) pit.

Funny story, I always had rangers for a long time, loved those little trucks. Until one day when I was driving home from school and the control module for the 4 wheel drive went haywire and shifted me into 4 LO while I was going 50. It sounded like I hit a landmine and I had to limp it home another 15 or so miles after I managed tl get it to shift to 4 HI and sold it the next day when I found out that was a common problem around 100k miles on that year AND the only way to replace the module was to have a dealership program a new one to your truck.

Then I bought a jeep, the end

Current Challenge

I have a not so secret desire for a 68 Chevy Impala.

But also a not so secret desire for a 63 Thunderbird.

Decisions decisions.

Supernatural fan?

My not so secret desire is an Ariel Atom... if I could afford the V8, I'd be in heaven for the few seconds after I drive it off the lot, and splatter myself over 30 miles of highway....

• Like 2

My first challenge

'65 Camoro

I sincerely hope this was in jest. 

==================================

In any case, I work in maintenance management for a  Fleet Management company with over 300,000 vehicles on the program.  

In this day and age, so long as you properly care for the vehicle, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference who you buy it from.  They're all equally reliable.  (or, equally unreliable, as the case may be   :D )

As for winter driving, your tires make far more difference than your drivetrain.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Supernatural fan?

My not so secret desire is an Ariel Atom... if I could afford the V8, I'd be in heaven for the few seconds after I drive it off the lot, and splatter myself over 30 miles of highway....

Gotta be honest, I started watching that show because of the car.

Then I loved to show.

Miles run, 17.3/72

24%
24%

20.9%
20.9%

16.3%
16.3%

my challenge thread!