• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nastynate

Am I working out too quickly?

I've looked around at a few beginner guides to bodyweight training, and most of them seem advocate a 30 minute routine involving 3 sets each of a handful of mixed exercises, with close to 10 reps per set. After accounting for rest time, this leaves me with a comfortable 30 seconds to do a single rep. Should I utilize the full 30 seconds, doing a super-slow rep focusing on maintaining control, or should I do them as fast as possible while maintaining perfect form? Slower sets or more circuits?

Some people like to play around with rep speed as a way to change things up.  Personally, I usually stick to reps at a "normal" pace.  You know, 1-2 seconds up, 2-3 seconds down.

Work out for however long you'd like to work out.  For some people, that's over an hour.  For many others, it's on the order of 30 minutes.  If you finish your work out early, then you finish early!  If you're feeling up for an extra set, throw in an extra set.  If a work out took longer than usual, then it took longer than usual.  No big to do either way.

It sounds like the exercises you're doing are a bit too easy. Try more difficult variations of the exercises.

When the routine says push-ups, you could do one-arm push-ups or handstand push-ups instead. When it says bodyweight squats, you could do pistol squats. Check out my website (link in my signature).