Gravity is a harsh mistress

Hello, everyone!

I joined the academy about a year ago and have been lurking around, but never got around to posting. I'm nerdy in many different areas - games, comics, science fiction/fantasy books...a little bit of everything. Like a red mage. So, I became interested in parkour and climbing quite some time ago but never felt I was fit enough to get into it. I think I'm ready now. Stronger, faster and 20 pounds lighter (5'4, 136) than when I started, the only thing holding me back is agility and lots of practice. I know there are excellent parkour threads on here and I'm working on stretching and balance too! Just wanted to meet people who had similar interests to keep me motivated.

• Like 2

First Challenge

Hellany: level 2 Doppelgänger assassin
STR 5 DEX 2 STA 2 CON 4 WIS 3 CHA 6

You already know that you can ask me anything about parkour or climbing.  :)  Both are a lot of fun and well worth trying, but it can be kind of tough to get started.  

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Have you looked into Parkour groups (meet ups) or searched for a Parkour "gym". I looked into it last year myself and was pleasanty suprised there are groups that do that and seem more than happy to teach newcomers if you need more hands on instruction.

• Like 1

Goal Weight: 180lbs

Starting Weight: 236lbs

Rising Heroes Faction: Volo

Martial Art: Tae Kwon Do

welcome to the rebellion. i'm more to the strength and speed, but i'm adapting the stretching back after few years of not even trying.

Thank you! We can adapt together...it will be fun. :)

Welcome to the rebellion. Well done on your progress so far, the assassins are a great group of people to help you with parkour and agility.

I haven't gotten to know a lot of them yet, but from what I've seen the people here are pretty amazing.

You already know that you can ask me anything about parkour or climbing.  :)  Both are a lot of fun and well worth trying, but it can be kind of tough to get started.

Thank you in advance, I know I'll have a ton of questions later when I start to grasp how much I don't know. Firstly I need to master the pull ups, because I'm weak in that area. So that's tough right now, but it can only get...probably a lot more challenging? And more fun at the same time! ;)

First Challenge

Have you looked into Parkour groups (meet ups) or searched for a Parkour "gym". I looked into it last year myself and was pleasanty suprised there are groups that do that and seem more than happy to teach newcomers if you need more hands on instruction.

I did find a group and just made contact, we'll see how it goes. I'll let them know I'm just starting out, hopefully they are willing to work with a newbie. I'd love to get with a group that runs outdoors so I can explore my hometown with other people.

First Challenge

Well I do have something to ask... How do I get progress bars or my current challenge in my signature? I know there's got to be a how to thread for newbs but I can't find it.

So far, success at running and stretching and I did meet a group that practices parkour in my area. I'll try to attend their next few meet ups to see how they feel about letting me hang out and receive guidance. I also met a group that seem stark raving mad and appear to want to run down a mountain for two days straight. Either way looks like i'll be running and jumping soon enough.

First Challenge

I actually have never done the progress bars, so I'm not sure.  For the signature, just go to the top of the screen, click on your username, and then go to "My Settings" and from there "Signature"

In the signature file, type out "current challenge".  Then click on the icon that looks like a few linked chains with a little plus.  It's right under the font size selector.  Paste the url into the text field, and click "ok".  

I'm glad you found a local parkour group, and I hope it works out for you.  :)

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Ooooh.....Climbing and getting over walls and all sorts of fun stuff happening in this thread. 

So I have to ask....have you ever tried an OCR? (Obstacle Course Race- more commonly known as "mud run").....It sounds like you're doing the kind of training for it anyways, it could be a fun experience. ( I prefer Spartan Race)

....If you're on the East Coast we can do some together! 

You've given me a thought-I should totally raid the Assassins thread for Spartan Race buddies. :D 

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

welcome to the rebellion. i'm more to the strength and speed, but i'm adapting the stretching back after few years of not even trying.

How is your stretching going? I've discovered I'm quite miserable at it, and now I'm looking up tutorials and beginner videos for my daily workouts. If you know any good ones please share!

I actually have never done the progress bars, so I'm not sure.  For the signature, just go to the top of the screen, click on your username, and then go to "My Settings" and from there "Signature"

In the signature file, type out "current challenge".  Then click on the icon that looks like a few linked chains with a little plus.  It's right under the font size selector.  Paste the url into the text field, and click "ok".  

I'm glad you found a local parkour group, and I hope it works out for you.  :)

I think my phone is not being cooperative about showing the link options. Should have my computer back in a week or so, but now I know how to do it when I'm ready. I did join the local parkour FB group, they don't seem too organized as far as meeting up for stuff but I'll work on them. :P

Ooooh.....Climbing and getting over walls and all sorts of fun stuff happening in this thread. 

So I have to ask....have you ever tried an OCR? (Obstacle Course Race- more commonly known as "mud run").....It sounds like you're doing the kind of training for it anyways, it could be a fun experience. ( I prefer Spartan Race)

....If you're on the East Coast we can do some together! 

You've given me a thought-I should totally raid the Assassins thread for Spartan Race buddies. :D

No I haven't, but I signed up to volunteer at Tough Mudder in October just so I could try it out for free and see how I do. And I actually just joined the local Spartan group too. I think if I do one I'm going to love it and probably get hooked. I'm over in Nevada, alas. But I had the same idea about raiding NF for hiking/obstacle teammates. Hope we both meet some cool people in our area. :)

First Challenge