Artist, gamer, musician...healthy?!

Hey Rebels.  I'm here looking for some support.  My doctors have read me the riot act over my weight...starting around 368lbs.  Apparently my liver hates me, my blood sugar is borderline, and I've developed sleep apnea.  Oh yeah, and on blood pressure meds and nightly meds for reflux.  :-\  Sooo...I'm trying to fix it.  I'm tracking macros/calories, adapting a Primal eating style (Paleo with some dairy...because cheese...), and plan to start exercising shortly.  I also gave up the cigarettes and replaced them with e-cigs...breathing much better now.  No alcohol...because again, my liver hates me.   :(  

Anyway...I could use some friends who actually give a damn about their health, and are known to Raid from time to time in WoW, blow up spaceships in EVE, nuke goblins in FFXIV, etc.  So yeah, help a guy out.  It's going to be a long road, hopefully free of War Boys and creepy guys played by Hugh Keays-Byrne.  

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

-Kinger

I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will be confused.

One: "Si vis pacem, para bellum."  If you want peace, prepare for war. 

Two: The old me is dead...he died with his old habits.  The new me will be stronger, faster, sharper, better.

Hi folks...thanks for the replies. 

Jess, recipes would be great...especially simple ones.  I'm a good cook, but between work and grad school, I'm often pressed for time.  If you have any magic crock pot recipes, I'd love to see them.  :D

Medic, you're not disqualified.  No need for a virtual existence akin to mine.  Being a game design major, I play a lot of stuff...but need to get out there and lift things and walk (not ready to run yet).  After carful consideration, I'd be happy to have you as a friend.  ;) 

-Kinger

Two: The old me is dead...he died with his old habits.  The new me will be stronger, faster, sharper, better.

well it sounds like i need to buy wow too... i just started minecraft though... i can help with stuff, and if i don't know something, i know people who do. i'm willing to help if you want help. we also have small accountability group in fb if you think you want someone to make sure you keep on following routines. welcome to the rebellion!! happy to have you here!

Thanks Vegeta.  I'm trying to be accountable...maybe a FB group would help.  Got a link you can send my way? 

• Like 1

-Kinger

it's a small group and it will not be seen in search by name but i'll hit you a link see if it works. and i'm looking forward hearing what you are planning to train. and eat. i might be able to help with meal planning if you are willing to suffer a bit :D(my food plans are usually pretty tasteless but effective.)

• Like 1

Welcome King! I just started, like literally a couple of minutes ago on the forums and your post was the first I had seen. You caught my attention with FFXIV (and cheese :D). I played FFXI from 2007-2014... unfortunately, my comp is not good enough for FFXIV so I didn't get to transition over. Anyways I had just wanted to stop in and say welcome! I see you have already started making changes and remember those small (but significant!) changes that you're making will add up. We're all rooting for you! (I'm starting at 280lbs :dejection:)

• Like 1

"If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail."

Auntie, I used to play FFXI!  I never got anywhere in that one, though...it was such a time sink!  I think I stopped when I had all my Whm Artifact gear, all the elemental staffs, and was perpetually hunting Kolibri.  lol.  If you ever get an upgraded machine, FFXIV is fun...but they totally revamped it with Realm Reborn so it's essentially World of Warcraft with a Final Fantasy skin and some of their better dynamics like level synch.  :)

Anyway, thanks for the support and good luck with your epic quest!  We'll all hit endgame eventually...just gotta put in the effort!

-Kinger

I could not agree more on the time sink! Haha it really is. I stopped for about a year and started again when they brought out the new stuff. The game got easier and less challenging and didn't really feel like the old days so I quit. I do hope to get a new system soon. I think I enjoyed the community more than anything and I miss it. I played FFXIV RR beta and loved it, I am sure it is better in Alpha now lol maybe I will get to see you on it one day! ✌

• Like 1

"If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail."

Welcome to the Rebellion. This is the right place for people who like video games and get fit. One day you will do the things IRL that you do in video games. We just started a six week challenge last week, why not head over to the recruit section and start a thread of your own?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

WoW player since vanilla. Just saying that made theHey Kinger, I’m pretty new here myself. Been a WoW player since vanilla and started playing FFXIV off and on since last year. Writing that just makes me feel like logging in now lol.

Echoing Tanktimus, definitely start a challenge thread. I just started mine three days ago so don’t feel like if you start now you’ll be left behind.

I definitely relate on the need to make changes due to medical issues. I have issues with high liver enzymes (fatty liver), I’m a diabetic (don’t need insulin yet and don’t plan on needing it), and I have some sleep apnea that has gotten better since losing just a little bit of weight.

Great job giving up the smokes. You’re not missing much with the alcohol. I had to give up alcohol because of my diabetes medication, but honestly, I don’t miss it and it’s been 17 months since I’ve had any alcohol.

Key is going to be consistency. I’ve found using Habitica (formerly HabitRPG) has been really helpful. It appeals to the gamer in me. If I do my dailies and to-dos, I can check it off and earn XP and gold to purchase items for my character. Of course, if you miss doing your dailies, it affects your HP so there is incentive there. :)

Good luck to you. You can do this. What are your more pressing/immediate goals?

• Like 1

Goal Weight: 180lbs

Starting Weight: 236lbs

Rising Heroes Faction: Volo

Martial Art: Tae Kwon Do

Kryple, that Habitica site is awesome!  Thank you so much!

My immediate goals for the moment are to just make better choices every day and build momentum.  I'm trying to plan in some rewards for myself for various accomplishments...but rewards that won't work against my goals.  Like, reach a certain rate, invest in a new gaming title or device...or take a martial arts class.  :)

-Kinger