Oh Wal*mart.  Order a rifle case, receive a baby mattress.  What goes on in their little heads?  lol

-Kinger

I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will be confused.

One: "Si vis pacem, para bellum."  If you want peace, prepare for war. 

Two: The old me is dead...he died with his old habits.  The new me will be stronger, faster, sharper, better.

Entry 24

Breakfast of champions today: bacon.  lol.  Keeping track of the caloric intake on MFP for now, trying to stay to around 1800 to 2500 depending on activity.  I'm slumped in front of a desk a lot right now.  Kind of a bummer. 

Tonight I have to go out to my favorite gun shop and pick up my Savage Trophy Hunter .308 and my Remmington 870 12 gauge.  Hooray...came in just before turkey season.  Time to go out and get me some grass fed, organic, antibiotic free, steroid free wild bird.  Provided, of course, I can hit one.  Then, come November, I'll hopefully have venison in the freezer.  Next season I may try my hand at bear...just because.  :)

-Kinger

Two: The old me is dead...he died with his old habits.  The new me will be stronger, faster, sharper, better.

Entry 25

Crappy weekend.  Not time to do anything...grad school devoured all of it.  I've gotta hit some kind of stride with this before my whole semester becomes a nightmare of cramming and crappy grades.  Work and school aren't leaving me a lot of time leftover for fun stuff or healthy stuff, so I need to figure out the time table better so I don't go insane. 

At some point this weekend I'm going fishing...if I have to taze people to keep them from interrupting me, I will.  Saturday I'm visiting relatives and hopefully sighting in firearms.  Sooo....all work things must be done by Friday.  I hope.

-Kinger

Entry 26

More nonsense, more frustration, and very busy.  Trying to get out more, fishing and hunting, etc...not doing so good on diet and exercise, though.  Ankles are still bugging me, and I've been having some issues with my anxiety disorder/depression.  Doc is playing with my meds...which kind of sucks.  :-\  Stepping away from Grad School for a while, too.  There's been too much on my plate, and the constant critiques have made me greatly dislike my artwork anymore.  Time to step back, get some focus, and maybe learn to like my creativity again.  I need to focus on my mental and physical health and get them on track. 

-Kinger

Hey! Just found this thread and was wondering if you've been continuing with TKD? I started Aikido around the same time you started TKD I think. I started Aikido in July. 

Just yesterday I was having a bit of an anxiety attack in the morning and I went to Aikido class in the afternoon and I felt so much better. It distracted me, gave me something else to focus on and I could take some time to logically think about what I was stressing out about instead of just seeing DOOMSDAY. 

Exercise might be a bitch during, but it really makes you feel good after you do it. Maybe going to TKD will help with the depression you mentioned? Not to mention, that's a good place for some social activity that isn't related to your job.

• Like 1

Entry 27

Ugh...apologies for the lack of updates.  The ankles are still a bit messed up, and I've also managed to injure my neck and back.  *sigh*  PT starts on Monday to try and remedy the problem.  I'm hoping that being very careful about my diet helps the therapy along by giving me all the good building blocks I need to heal up. 

In response to your question jackien1, I haven't been back to TKD in a while due to the injuries.  This has been super disappointing, but I'm in regular contact with my instructor so she'll know when I'm ready to head back and says she's going to alter the routines a bit for me to work around the problem areas.  Such nice people at Oakmont Martial Arts, really.  I'm glad I found that school.

These issues have also put a damper on hunting season.  I missed the last day of Turkey season I could have gotten out to enjoy, and I'm missing the first weekend of Deer season to boot.  Hopefully I'm in better shape by next weekend so I can enjoy the last day of Deer season with my uncle and try for a nice buck.  I want some of that good deer meat in my freezer. 

Oh well...never give up, never surrender. 

• Like 3

-Kinger

Entry 28

Happy New Year gang.  Still dealing with a rough road here.  My ankles are improving, but the neck issue seems to be getting worse.  They're calling it cervical radiculopathy.  Apparently that's probably coming from a combination of my weight and my desk-jockey career.  Sooo...in addition to PT, I really have to try and work through the pain and numbness in my hands and get down to work for my health. 

Still not back to TKD yet, but hopefully soon since the ankles are the least of my problems now.  Have to renew my gym membership, too...though I think I'll be stuck on the stationary bike for a bit rather than the free weights.  A weakness in my grip from the CR has completely kept me away from lifting heavy things.  :( 

Anyway, that's the update for now.  Fun times.  Trying to grind through them, though. 

-Kinger

Happy new year good to see you, glad your ankles are recovering, sorry to hear about your neck issues, keep moving forward, you will get there.  Fighting some shoulder issues myself, that hopefully PT will resolve and not require surgery.  Still hitting the TKD mat, hope to begin my Black Belt testing in Feb.  Hope you are back on the mat soon, get well and grind on!

The Reel Godfather, level 5 Ranger STR 10|DEX 7|STA 12|CON 12|WIS 8|CHA 6 My Respawn story

Entry 29

PT has left me sore and concerned.  It's starting to sound like I'm going to need further tests/scans to determine wtf is going on with my neck.  :(  I have a follow up with my PCP at the beginning of February, so if things haven't improved by then I guess I need to have the issue reassessed. 

Switched gym memberships to one of those evil chains.  I'm not a fan of supporting huge mega-conglomorates, but dammit, their facility is so much nicer than the local gym I'd been using.  Or, more accurately, not using, because they were cramped, uncomfortable, and didn't have a wide enough variety of equipment.  Especially stationary bikes...since, courtesy of my present health issues, those are super useful.  Plus...24 hour access is much nicer than the limited hours of service I had at my old place.  Hopefully this works out well.  Oh...it's also cheaper.  Yay for $15 per month savings. 

Well, that's all I've got to report for now.  More later. 

• Like 1

-Kinger

Entry 30

Early morning.  Trouble sleeping last night.  Pouring hot coffee down my gullet and cooking some italian sausage.  Going to hit the low-carb paleo for a while in order to drop some lbs quickly.  More PT tonight...yay.  We'll see how that goes.  Snap, crackle, pop, spine crispies.  :-\

TKD instructor says she may be able to alter routines for me with my current problems.  I just have to ask my PT crew if it'd be ok, or if they want to wait and see what the underlying issue is, before letting me get back to throwing punches and breaking boards.  

Still bucking for a promotion at work.  I've been turned down several times thus far, and other, less qualified individuals have been hired ahead of me (and also either fired or demoted because they weren't qualified).  State HR is a bitch to contend with.  They have to deal with "requirements," but honestly, what it boils down to is trying to make the organization look good.  This time, if they pass me over, I'm filing an appeal and taking it before a higher authority.  My 4 years experience, BS, 3/4 of a MFA, and management references should count for something.  Friggin' idiots.  

More later.

• Like 1

-Kinger

Entry 31

Morning...Thursday...why not Friday?  *groans, attempting to peel eyes open*  Cooking up some tasty chicken with a BBQ rub for breakfast, fried in a touch of lard.  Another day of work looms large on the horizon.  The usual beginning of the month blahs at DHS.  Lots of foot traffic, lots of people who need to submit paperwork, lots of people who are finally applying for LIHEAP now that our lovely PA weather has finally turned cold.  Heh...last minute much?  

Can't tell if PT is working or not.  The neck/hand issues seem to waver back and forth between "feels slightly less awful" and "holy shit this sucks!"  I'm doing the stretches, exercises, etc. religiously.  If there's no appreciable change by Feb. 3 when I see the Doc again, she's probably gonna want to stick me in a machine and scan me Star Trek style.  Which is fine...as long as it doesn't lead to surgery.  Not a fan of surgery.  At all.  I have noticed that things seem to be less inflamed since I started watching what I eat, but that's likely psychosomatic at this point.  We'll see, though.

Oh well, better chow down and put on work clothes.  I'm out.  *drops mic*

• Like 1

-Kinger

Updating FitBit firmware is way more annoying than it needs to be.   :offended:

-Kinger

Entry 32

Happy Friday.  Up early, sore from all manner of PT stuff I did yesterday.  Pork rib roast and kraut in the crock pot.  Should be ready by the time I get home from work, and I'll have lots of tasty meat to chow down on for the next several days without needing to cook.  :)  Go lazy paleo.  

Got to head to the new gym tomorrow to get my membership stuff.  Yay.  But first, have to get through today.  

-Kinger

Also...ceramic EggTastic Egg Cooker = best fast breakfast tool ever.  Insert egg, leftover sausage, nuke...3 minute food.

-Kinger

Official Pork Roast Update!!!

Holy crap...awesomeness!  Cooked that center cut rib roast slow and low with sauerkraut for roughly 10 hours while i was away at work and BOOM!  The meat melted off the bones.  It was like that scene in the original Robocop movie where they hit that guy who was doused in toxic waste.  lol.  Ok, maybe that's not the most appetizing comparison to make when referring to delicious home cooked food, but it sure turned out good.  Lots of leftovers to be had now.  I almost wanted to keep the bones as trophies since they came out so clean and shiny.   :triumphant:

• Like 2

-Kinger

Entry 33

Saturday.  Always good.  Woke up early, since my brain still functions predominantly based on my work schedule.  Fine by me, though, nothing says good morning on a weekend like playing Diablo 3 at the crack of dawn.   :)  Mucking about with my barbarian today before the new season starts next friday.  Good times.

Down around 7lbs since I started watching what I put down my gullet.  Hopefully I can keep it up.  Long road ahead...very long, indeed.  Gotta defeat this dragon, though, or I'll be dead before I'm 50.

• Like 1

-Kinger

Entry 34

Meh...not the best weekend.  Pizza, horror movies, and Steelers game.  Oh well...back to the better choices today.  PT tonight, Gym afterward, plus all manner of chores to do around the house.  I should be able to get it all squared away, though.  Hopefully I'll have enough time after to get in some gaming.  My PS4 has been gathering dust...unacceptable. 

Another dull day of work ahead.  Gotta grind through the waves of stupid that DHS throws at me.  Fun times.  When I retire I really should write a book.  :apthy:

• Like 2

-Kinger