I desperately want strength T.T

Hello, 

I'm Jordan. I'm quite the anime buff and enjoy the occasional Thor or Batman comic book :) . I'm going to be 25. I'm 6 ft 1 inch tall and weigh anywhere between 167 to 170 lbs a day. I'm tall, thin and I can barely support my own weight. I'm told often I'm so thin and so slim but I don't really feel that way.  I can barely lift a heavy bag of groceries and I'm tired all the time. I don't have any muscle tone and while I don't think I'm fat I'd like to have flatter or at least toned abs. 

I grew up in a family where my father used exercise I felt as punishment. We had to run until we were tired every Sunday, going out and running 3-4 miles before breakfast and having to do this every Sunday even when you don't want to run because for you running makes your joints hurt. I actually have lasting joint damage from such exercise (but the doctors say I can still exercise now I just chose not to or have before now.) Because I wasn't the fastest runner and that was always thrown in my face I have a real aversion to running or any exercise were someone next to me will be better. This makes exercising in a gym or in public hard to for. But I'm seeking to change that. I really have some goals I'd like to accomplish and I think Nerd Fitness will be that place for me to finally get in shape. 

My goals are very simple and I'd really like them to just be starting points but they're something I'd really love to be able to do. 

My goals are really as follows: 

Be able to do 10 push ups. (I know kind f sad, I can't even do 1 unmodified push up not even in Gym through high school)

Be able to do 2 pull ups. (I have never been able to do even one). 

Be able to climb a rope attached to a ceiling. (I can't even do a pull up so This would be awesome)

Be able to perform a deadlift of at least 75lbs. I'd like to say 100 but don't want to get ahead of myself. 

When I actually have strength I'd like to take up martial arts and parkour. 

I picked Ranger for my avatar because I think that would be best for me now. 

I found Nerd Fitness almost a year ago while researching the Paleo Diet. I have basically been a quiet stalker of the blog posts and emails but haven't joined until now. 

Hopefully I've come to the right place to learn fitness with like minded people. 

Jordan

• Like 1

Welcome to the rebellion. Here is the first piece of good news. You never have to run again. If you are wanting to get stronger, you don't really need to run. Strength training is about working out smartly and eating properly. Basically, you need to do things that make you stronger and eat protein. If you can't do an unmodified pushup, do modified pushups till you can do a regular one. Steve has a blog post on how to build up to a pull-up, there are intermediate steps you can do to get there. Why not start with the beginner body weight workout (with all the modifications you need) and go from there?

You can do this, we are with you.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Hello, 

Be able to do 10 push ups. (I know kind f sad, I can't even do 1 unmodified push up not even in Gym through high school)

Not sad at all, I know schools try, but gym is always more the"do this now" to get kids moving, rather than "let's sit down in a classroom, work out how and why to do it and get there slowly"

Stop being so hard on yourself :)

Sending vibes of motivation and love to all x

Second the beginner body weight workout as a great way to get started toward your goals. The best way to master ten push-ups is by doing modified push-ups until you can do a strict one, and then to do more strict ones.

I empathize greatly over your "dad problem." Mine did very similar things throughout my childhood. It's taken me decades to recognize that he probably thought he was doing good things for me, at least a good part of the time. But I swear I will never, ever drink a freaking protein shake again in my natural life.

I have more good news for you, though. Strength training can be very helpful to joints, even damaged ones. You will protect them over time by building up muscle and connective tissue around them. And if you eat plenty of protein (around 170 grams a day for your weight) and start in on some basic strength training, I think the progress you make will surprise you. As a 25yo guy, your body is a muscle-making machine.

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous

Thank you guys for the warm welcome :)  I should have mentioned my name is a misnomer. Jordan spelt for a boy but given to a girl (my mother felt that would make me unique but yeah not that I appreciate the uniqueness of my own name, another story for another time) :) I'm female though I assume at 25 i should still be able to build muscle. 

I will do my best to build strength I still feel like the first and final boss battle for me is going to be against myself. 

Kind of like in Kingdom Hearts where you battle the Heartless Version of yourself in the beginning of the game after choosing your main attribute (the staff, sword or shield) and then how at the end of the game you battle yourself again as a Heartless.  (Oh man nerdy Disney + Square Enix talk) lol. 

I'm a master procrastinator and excuse generator + I have really sorry levels of self esteem (also why I'm here I'm hoping to bring up my self esteem by finding people who are like me nerdy and all). Though I'm trying not to have to respawn right out the gate. lol Maybe I should stay  away from any red shirts or tank tops till i'm into my new routine. Everyone knows what happens to that noobie in the red shirt. 

I'm going to look into the strength exercise and I'm debating starting a Warrior Log. I think that Might help me stay honest. and actually make me do the work (lol). 

• Like 1

Hi Jordan, I have similar stats as you. I couldn't do push ups in high school either. One time I decided I wanted to prove myself that I could improve so I did as many normal push ups as I could, 4 max at the time, and the continued with the modified push ups until muscle failure.

Keep in mind that "muscle failure" at this noob level is not really muscle failure, is just being noob.

So just do push ups, eat and get straaaaaaang

• Like 2

Amount of what you have to give in order to succeed.

The Adventure Awaits...

Instagram

Echoing all the great advice already given!

Bodyweight workouts are a great way to start and there are tons of modifications you can do for most movements that allow you to build the strength to work up to a full movement (such as push up) 

Making sure you get enough food to start building muscle, you'll need to eat a caloric surplus to do that. Between that and your current workouts you'll be unstoppable in no time! 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Be able to do 2 pull ups. (I have never been able to do even one). 

Be able to climb a rope attached to a ceiling. (I can't even do a pull up so This would be awesome)

Be able to perform a deadlift of at least 75lbs. I'd like to say 100 but don't want to get ahead of myself. 

When I actually have strength I'd like to take up martial arts and parkour. 

Welcome Jordan!  I'd say jump into martial arts and parkour.  You'll become strong in the process of doing those things, in no way is being strong a prerequisite.  You're more likely to stick with fitness activities that you actually enjoy and feel a desire to get better at.  Good luck!

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101