Hey everyone!

Long time lurker here. I joined a few years ago when I was trying to lose weight on my own, but came to the realization I needed extra help to reach my goals. I ended up working with a local naturopath, and over the last year and a half, lost just under 90 lbs. Now I'm reaching the next phase of my new, healthy lifestyle, which is maintaining this loss. To be honest, it's the scariest part for me. I have learned so much about nutrition (particularly what's good for me individually rather than specific plans), and I know the habits I've learned over the last year will help. But at the same time, I feel like I'm suddenly doing this without a safety net if that makes sense? So I am hoping that being part of such an amazing community like this one will help me continue my success :)

So I figured I'd better start posting and getting invested!

I do have a total noob question though - I see the 6 week challenge (and also the nifty progress bars that some of the members have as their signatures), is this open to everyone, or only to the people who have paid to be part of the NF Academy?

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

~Kily

Kilyra|Level 4|Gorgon|Adventurer

Stats: STR 5 | STA 10 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | WIS 9 | CHA 6

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Introduction|Challenge|The Writer's Guild|Battle Log

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

Workout at least 4x a week (8 of 16)

50%
50%

Hollow Body Work 3x a week (6 of 12)

50%
50%

Life Goal: Write 3.5 hrs a week (1 of 4)

25%
25%

Welcome to the rebellion. Good job on all the weight lost! This is a great place to get fit and stay healthy. We recommend first time challenge participants go to the recruit section, head over and it will explain how to join the challenge. The progress bars you can edit by going to your profile and hitting the "edit my profile" button then selecting signatures. The progress bar button is right next to the twitter button.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Awesome, thanks for the info guys! :D Spent lots of time yesterday checking out the site - it's a lot to take in. But I'm really excited!

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

Yeah, there's a CRAZY amount of information out there. Honestly, the biggest thing I've learned is everyone's different and we each have to sort out what works for us.

Part of what I did with the naturopath was cut food down to the bare bones for a few weeks at a time - only certain veggies, fruit, and meat. Then slowly add stuff back in. At that point, I discovered I'm totally fine for eating peanuts, but 13 almonds and I pack on 1.6 lbs overnight (just water retention because it turns out I have allergies. It was gone the next day). Same with dairy - too much dairy in any form and I'm retaining water and snoring at night. Yet, I can have grains, bread or pasta at normal portions and maintain my weight just fine. 

It seems nutrition is a very, very personal thing. It's made me incredibly leery of diet fads or specific plans/instructions because the biggest thing I've learned is there is no one right path food-wise. 

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

Wow, congrats on the weight loss...

Food is bonkers! I did a Whole30 for that purpose but didn't really figure anything out aside from wheat and sugar make my face puffy (and probably everything else... like my butt... lol).

I'm curious, did you only change the foods you ate to achieve the loss, or was there a portion/calorie control aspect and/or working out involved?

and Welcome fellow newbie!

Whole30 - 30 days down 0 to go...

100%
100%

You know the first rule of combat? Shoot them before they shoot you. - Faye Valentine

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/70883-six-week-challenge-round-1-ready-fight/

Link to my blog for day to day rambling: http://melsuarez79.blogspot.com/

Hiya fellow newbie! 

Our bodies definitely let us know what it doesn't like, and the puffiness is a sign of water retention because it's surrounding the "toxin" with fluid and trying to flush it out. On those puffy days, you may have even noticed a small jump in the scale. But, depending on what we eat like, it's hard to listen because half the time, I didn't know what was causing it. Like the almonds thing, I had the respiratory issues before, but because I ate so many random things, I didn't even think to narrow it down to almonds. (still bums me out, I love those things!)

Anyhow, it was a pretty specific plan with portion control, getting active, and working with metabolism issues. I would lose weight kind of rapidly for a few weeks at a time, then stop and maintain my new weight for a few weeks, take a short break, and then go through another round. It was quite strict but apparently I do better with that for some reason haha

• Like 1

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

Cool! I think I'm learning that strict is the way to go for me too, give me an inch and I take a mile... or the whole bag of Doritos. :)

• Like 1

Whole30 - 30 days down 0 to go...

100%
100%

You know the first rule of combat? Shoot them before they shoot you. - Faye Valentine

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/70883-six-week-challenge-round-1-ready-fight/

Link to my blog for day to day rambling: http://melsuarez79.blogspot.com/

For losing weight, strict works for quite a few of us, especially if you're an emotional eater like I am. I think that's why this maintaining part scares me more than the weight loss. I have to learn how to live with balance and I've never been good at that! I'm an "all the Doritos!!" kind a gal myself, and while I know the all or nothing mentality won't make me happy for the rest of my life, I'm not sure how to do the whole moderation thing either.

I think this is the place for both of us to learn some good life hacks though :)

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

Congrats Kilyra on your 90lbs loss! That is amazing. I find processed candy puffs me out quite well and makes my skin itch like mad.... which makes me break out... no  bueno... :nightmare:

But... I just love sour gummy worms and nerds.... so I eat them once a year aka get on my pumpkin face :orange: for Halloween. LOL

• Like 1

"You'll never leave where you are until you decide where you'd rather be."

Race: Hybrid Elemental Dragon Spirit || Class: Recruit following the Monks around

Attributes:  0 STR | 0 DEX | 0 STA | 0 WIS | 0 CHA | 0 CON

Track my first challenge here

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Suck it up and SHINE: Perfect my Morning Ritual daily

7%
7%

Become a Strong Lady Ninja 5-6 days/week

40%
40%

Become a Flexible and Agile Lady Ninja 2-3 days/week

36%
36%

Eat Real Food, 90-110g protein/day

41%
41%

Welcome Kilyra! You're not kidding there definitely is tons of info out there. It's one of the reasons I keep quitting. It's so overwhelming and luckily NF has been pretty streamlined with Paleo/Crossfit info. I may do my own thing to lose weight but it's nice not having 50 million things thrown at me that are good one day and bad the next. I look forward to the day I am maintaining after weight loss. Congrats by the way, 90lbs loss and maintaining! :D Don't let the transition of maintaining overwhelm you. Keep doing what you're doing. Remember you are not dieting, you're making a lifestyle change. Changing the habits that had gotten you to WHERE YOU WERE and keeping the ones that got you to WHERE YOU ARE.

"If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail."