Hokay, so. Here's Mir. Not round. But damn, sweet Mir.

Anyway. Here is my word vomit: 

Background

I've struggled with depression and ADHD for pretty much my entire adult life. In particular, I have traditionally had enormous trouble maintaining a job of any kind. Part time, full time, retail, office, professional, etc., it doesn't matter. After a while, I just can't make it to work every day. I have struggled. I have tried. I have set goals, rewards, budgets, etc etc etc...nothing works. I'm sure that I've talked about this extensively in older posts; if you have questions, feel free to ask, but I don't want to get into the details here. To show how bad it really is, I've been with my current employer since January 2013. I earn 4 hours of sick time every pay period (2 weeks). I have no accumulated sick time.

Current Situation

I had something of a mental breakdown in May (a lot of things came to a head all at once and I just couldn't handle it); thus I have been off work since around Mother's Day. I have exhausted my FMLA credits, although I do get another 3 months or so of unpaid medical leave. This gives me until Nov 20. I had a meeting with work people recently to talk about going back, and I'm just...not ready. I feel as though I only have one chance to go back and make it work, because if I fail again, even if I have leave time left, who is going to feel they can rely on me?

Talking with my therapist, I have come to the conclusion that maybe the traditional work environment/schedule just doesn't work for me. I have spent my entire life trying to fit my square self into the round world, and it's impossible; so now it's time to see if I can make my world square. 

I know I am smart. I am ambitious, dedicated, enthusiastic, outgoing, friendly, and all-around awesome. When I become interested in something, I can (and often do) focus nearly all my attention to it until I have a handle on it. Trouble is, I seem to get bored easily, and the combination of boredom plus a work environment in which I don't thrive have created the perfect storm. I frequently wonder if I really am just lazy or stupid. Which makes me mad.

Okay, that was a tangent. Anyway.

What I Need

I need a job/career that is a better fit for me than what I've been doing. Some of the things I believe I need/value in a job are as follows:

• autonomy
  • flexibility re: scheduling
  • ability to try new things (even if they fail)/be creative
  • challenges
  • uhh, I can't brain - something that is able to capture and keep my interest, OR something that changes frequently

Those are all the things I can think of for now. So, considering something like contract or freelance work. I'm interested in EVERYTHING. My degree is a BBA in Information Technology Management, and I enjoy technical details as well as the overall picture. For the past couple of years, I've worked as an IT programmer/analyst using SAP Business Objects. SQL appeals to me because it's logical but also because it's like a puzzle to figure out...although I will also admit that I'm not always 100% awesome with all the details (missing commas, what?). I also have an interest in project management; specifically requirements gathering (probably). I've billed myself as a bridge between people and technology, because I can walk the walk and I can also talk the talk. I tend to be pretty good at putting technical concepts in layman's terms. Plus, I think that's really something that is lacking in the tech world.

SO. I never had enough self-confidence to think I could be an entrepreneur or do anything like contract/freelance...but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm excited. However....I have no idea where to start. I have a couple of people I can contact, and I will, but I have NO idea if they will be able to help me.

Any advice/suggestions/leads? My deadline looms large in my face. :(

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

How do you feel about web development or design? Freelance website writing is very changable and there is lots of creative problem solving, especially when you work with different types of clients. Different people need different things :) 

I'm currently in college but I've been working on my web design/development skills since... since before I knew that I was doing anything more interesting than playing with this fun stuff a book taught me (AKA age 9) It constantly evolves and changes, allowing you to discover new things and learn new languages/frameworks. 

I've got two serious projects currently, I'm writing a simple splash page for an organization at school (with a deadline, which I need direly) and I'm writing up a website for my grandmother's jewelry making business. I also wrote my boyfriend (who is an aspiring musician) a website for Valentine's Day my first year of school since I was broke, but the domain name expired and it's kinda on the backburner for now since it needs ANOTHER overhaul.

All that to say, you could give it a shot by making a small website for someone you know to build a portfolio, and start with smaller projects from friends and family to build the portfolio, then work on expanding as a business. (A good portfolio location and project is the site for your fledgling company).

So it's something a little different, but involves working with computers as your IT degree indicates you enjoy :) 

Another option is teaching- some school systems allow you to get your teaching certification while you're teaching. It takes care of your classroom time requirements for the cert as well!

But many schools, even stupid tiny public ones like in the county I graduated from, are trying to push STEM programs for students, especially those who are smart in a certain subject but aren't great at other things can learn coding as a trade or similar idea. (My parents are both teachers so I know an unpleasant amount about the US school system).

It's not terribly flexible per se, and doesn't pay terribly well, but you get long breaks during the year so that you can recharge. Programs that aren't within the standardized testing realm are very flexible in content and you usually have almost complete freedom with the curriculum (To my poor mother's dismay). 

You do need to be able to handle classroom management. And if you get along better with adults, I'd suggest that you focus on high schoolers or community college students(though I don't know a lot about that so I dunno how that would measure up with your schedule and flexibility needs)

Hope one of these ideas helps!

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63