Rangers gonna Ranger: The Topic

DarK_RaideR

I have an idea for a Ranger Reading List - Goodreads is a pretty great place to set up a bookshelf. I can set something up there and share it with the group, if needed. 

• Like 6

Level 71 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

That's a good idea, Foxxy! Goodreads is a nice site for stuff like that. Other than that, would we create another sub forum for "Ranger Reads"? I guess the smart thing to do would be create the sub forum with the Goodreads link added to it, right?

I have no problem setting this up as long as I'm not stepping on any toes...

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- Level 10 (Respec)

Class: Operator/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 196#

Stats: STR: 28 / DEX: 20 / END: 21 / CON: 27 / WIS: 31 / CHA: 30

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: The Scout Who Outwitted the Lifter of the Dead

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Sounds logical to me. I've created a GoodReads group: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/169940-rangers-gonna-ranger to get the ball rolling (if indeed we want to roll this direction). Wolf, do you want me to add you as a mod? Currently, the group is set to 'public' and the controls are open (anyone can add books, etc.). Let me know if we want/need to change to 'private'. 

• Like 9

Level 71 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

Sure thing [emoji106]ðŸ»[emoji106]ðŸ». I would say let anyone add books but then if it's open to the public- we could have people outside of NF adding stuff and I don't think we would want that. Anyone can view the group, though, right?

Honestly it's all about simplicity- whatever works for the group works for me. I want people to have easy access :)

Wolf

• Like 3

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Spoiler

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

I think a Ranger reading list/library is a great idea.

I third the list of Readings for Rangers.

YES to Ranger Reads! Has anyone done this yet? If so, please link to it! OMG such a good idea!

This has been one of the ideas floating around if I'm not mistaken. ShadowLion would be the one to answer, she's come up with a bunch of ideas after this thread debuted. We're just working out the details and trying to find out a format that works so that we won't flood the Ranger subforum with pinned threads. I'm not familiar with Goodreads, but it sounds like a good idea. Congrats on the initiative!

I'm just back from the supermarket where I got my Ranger supplies for this weekend's hike (even found wild radishes). Also grabbed a 2L hydration pack today. And toyed with my phone's camera and video editing software. This is going to be so epic. And it's only the beginning...

• Like 2

Lvl 44 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

YAY joined!! ^______^

And seconding (thirding?  fourthing?) the awesomeness of the Iron Druid series.  Great stuff.

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

This has been one of the ideas floating around if I'm not mistaken. ShadowLion would be the one to answer, she's come up with a bunch of ideas after this thread debuted. We're just working out the details and trying to find out a format that works so that we won't flood the Ranger subforum with pinned threads. I'm not familiar with Goodreads, but it sounds like a good idea. Congrats on the initiative!

I'm just back from the supermarket where I got my Ranger supplies for this weekend's hike (even found wild radishes). Also grabbed a 2L hydration pack today. And toyed with my phone's camera and video editing software. This is going to be so epic. And it's only the beginning...

Ok greatness- then I'll hold off on creating another thread. I'll let ShadowLion take over for that and if she needs my help or Foxxy, just hit us up :)

Goodreads is very easy to join- it's free and would be a good spot to track all he books we mention. Any one of us could go on there and be like, "OH! I'm going to pick this one to read next."

10009808_10152359306433872_3507557136712

Wolf

• Like 6

Spoiler

It's so great to read through this thread and see:

1)Idea Suggested

2)Excitement builds around the idea

3)Idea executed (i.e. the goodreads thing)

So. Many. Times.

Rangers gonna Ranger.

• Like 8

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

There aren't enough words to express how in love I am with this thread!! I looooove the Ranger archetype and the deep discussion that has begun around it! I can't believe the amount of enthusiasm y'all have! This is so exciting!!

Okay, let's see if I can remember/comment on everything that has taken place so far...

I think Aragorn is my favorite Ranger of All Time. Well, and Halt O'Carrick.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, I am not a member of Goodreads (yet), but we need to add LoTR and Ranger's Apprentice onto that booklist.

Also, I am not keen on parachuting, which I saw someone suggested; but how about bungee jumping? Hang-gliding also sounds amazing. Maybe using one of those suits that look like flying squirrels??

I love the idea of introducing new skills guild-wide that we can all practice! CLIMBING THINGS WOAH! I think I need to hit up the park this weekend and find a good climbing tree. Or, failing that, climb all over the jungle gym in ways it was not intended to be climbed on. ^_^

Can I express once more HOW MUCH I LOVE ALL OF YOU GUYS!!! I knew I picked the right guild. <3

• Like 7

dusk :: ranger

The GR bookshelf has been updated with everything I've seen in this thread. Feel free to add books if there's something I've missed. Likewise if I've gotten a series wrong/slapped something up that doesn't belong. 

The Iron Druid series that's been mentioned is: The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne, correct? 

Wolf, message me on GR, por favor, so I can mod you. I *think* know which member you are, based on your bookshelf, but I'm not 100% sure. ;) 

• Like 3

Level 71 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

What about books by RL Rangers we know and love? Anybody? I found Into The Wild, and I know Les Stroud has a few books. Anything else for our nonfiction readers? 

• Like 2

Level 71 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Woot woot!! Way to go Foxxy! I just sent you a message :)

I'm glad everyone else is so fired up about this!

Wolf

• Like 1

Spoiler

Ooh, Spark's book needs to be on the GoodReads list!!  He is a RANGER!!

http://amzn.com/B00LEWHOPM

• Like 5

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Great idea and initiative!

To keep challenge thread from clogging with a bunch of threads at the top, I'm checking to see if there is a way we can create a compendium of ranger lore and awesomeness within the NF ecosystem. I will get back to you all when I have more information. 

In the meantime, keep compiling and generating new ideas! (And, I can see that you are...new posts are coming in even as I am typing this. You are all so awesome! Rangers!) 

The end goal is to get some kind of wiki/group blog or other way to create and edit such a dynamic document/system together as a group, as opposed to having it all fall on one Keeper of the Thread. Even D_R couldn't keep up with all of that solo!

• Like 5

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

When I was a kid, I was obsessed with the book "Island of the Blue Dolphins," about a Native American girl stranded alone on a sea island and how she survives there on her own. Quintessential ranger stuff. One of the greatest children's books, IMHO.

I read books by Jack London and poems by Robert Service, pored over the Foxfire books and various field guides, and dreamed of building my own log cabin and being Park Naturalist at the Grand Canyon. Carried a battered old copy of the "Amateur Naturalist's Guide" and a journal/sketchbook on family camping trips all over the western US, identifying every rock, plant and animal I saw.

Other rangerly inspirations - The Count of Monte Cristo, every story about Native American life I could get my hands on and, most of all, my hunting, fishing, back-country hiking, badass grandmother who did as she pleased and never thought I was weird or couldn't do whatever I set my mind to.

Rangers rock.

SHADOW LION ARE YOU SPYING ON MY CHILDHOOD.  Seriously.  I read Blue Dolphins when I was in first grade, and I still have my copy - such an important book!  And Jack London - I actually grew up right around his stomping grounds, maybe half an hour's drive from the Jack London State Park, which is all this land he owned and his house and I remember being about eight years old, just having read White Fang for the first time, and going with my parents to this park and visiting the house, where they have his hat in a display case next to a photo of him wearing said hat, and I totally freaked out.

My dad gave me his old (much annotated) foxfire books when I was ten, and I had the benefit of living a short walk from a library to jumpstart my rigorous self-education in local plant life, geology, survival craft, and Generalism in General! My personal brand of Rangering has always been heavily flavored with eclectic, non-survival skills, and I spent as much time soaking up coyote stories and murder ballads as first -aid and knot-tying.  To me, being a Ranger means wandering off the beaten path, being a jack-of-all-trades, and being a little mysterious - something about it has always made me think of secret lore, old stories, forgotten legends. 

• Like 4

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Also yes I want to be a part of the Ranger Library...

• Like 1

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Thank the Maker for you people!  I'm hopping on a plane tomorrow and I need a new book for the flight... ought to be able to find a good suggestion at the library with the list ya'll have compiled for me.

There aren't enough words to express how in love I am with this thread!! I looooove the Ranger archetype and the deep discussion that has begun around it! I can't believe the amount of enthusiasm y'all have! This is so exciting!!

Okay, let's see if I can remember/comment on everything that has taken place so far...

I think Aragorn is my favorite Ranger of All Time. Well, and Halt O'Carrick.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, I am not a member of Goodreads (yet), but we need to add LoTR and Ranger's Apprentice onto that booklist.

Also, I am not keen on parachuting, which I saw someone suggested; but how about bungee jumping? Hang-gliding also sounds amazing. Maybe using one of those suits that look like flying squirrels??

I love the idea of introducing new skills guild-wide that we can all practice! CLIMBING THINGS WOAH! I think I need to hit up the park this weekend and find a good climbing tree. Or, failing that, climb all over the jungle gym in ways it was not intended to be climbed on. ^_^

Can I express once more HOW MUCH I LOVE ALL OF YOU GUYS!!! I knew I picked the right guild. <3

I skydove for the first time last summer.  It was tandem, with an instructor, but it was a pretty unreal experience.  Not 100% sure I would do it again (not out of fear or disappointment, just that I have so much else to do!), but I'm really glad I 'took the leap.'

• Like 4

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Ooh, Spark's book needs to be on the GoodReads list!! He is a RANGER!!

http://amzn.com/B00LEWHOPM

Stuff like this makes me mad I hadn't heard of this book before hand and it sounds so dope! Good suggestion!

Wolf

Spoiler

@Rurik Skydiving! I did a tandem jump for my 40th birthday. Jumping out of a plane from 13,000 feet above the earth, floating down over the desert, grinning like a fool the whole rest of the day. Adrenaline and memories...aaahhhh.

@Rowan Shadowlions are stealthy psychics.  :playful:   The outdoors - and libraries -  as a child. Better than any formal school!

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

The GR bookshelf has been updated with everything I've seen in this thread. Feel free to add books if there's something I've missed. Likewise if I've gotten a series wrong/slapped something up that doesn't belong. 

The Iron Druid series that's been mentioned is: The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne, correct? 

Wolf, message me on GR, por favor, so I can mod you. I *think* know which member you are, based on your bookshelf, but I'm not 100% sure. ;)

Correct! (re: Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles)

Thanks for doing this!!!! So Awesomesauce. 

• Like 4

:strawberry:Hobbit Ranger, Dragon Slayer, Crazy Cat Lady, Beekeeper :strawberry:

Sixth Ranger Challenge

What about books by RL Rangers we know and love? Anybody? I found Into The Wild, and I know Les Stroud has a few books. Anything else for our nonfiction readers?

I added Natural Born Heroes (non-fiction), which is practically a Ranger handbook with a bit of history thrown in.
  • Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

I added Natural Born Heroes (non-fiction), which is practically a Ranger handbook with a bit of history thrown in.

Holy smokes! I'm listening to this right now and it's.. Awesome! It totally is a hand guide to achieve badrangerassery, well put Pheonix! When he first mentioned parkour, I suddenly became so intrigued I forgot to do work stuff at work....

Did you add it to the list? [emoji4]

Wolf

• Like 3

Spoiler