• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

Boromir was right!

one-does-not-simply-walk-into-mordor.gif

I'll have to disagree with the Leader of the Rebellion on the subject. Frodo and Sam didn't just walk into Mordor. "Walking" implies a flat surface or mild inclination, usually on an clear trail. That was not the case, as the heroes had to deal more than their fare share of mountains, cliffs and caverns, not to mention the occasional running. Technically, Sam and Frodo hiked into Mordor. Recreating that feat is what this thread is all about

Tracking Spreadsheet

• Like 6

or he was pedantic and people hated inviting him to a pub for a beer.

Boromir - "well technically its a double IPA .. one just doesn't order a stronger, very hoppy variant of an IPA that typically has alcohol content above 7.5% by volume by calling it a beer"

edit: forgot the ;)  and :tongue:

• Like 5

First hike done!

Date: August 15th 2015.

Distance: 15km (roughly over 9 miles)

LotR story progress: Left Bag End, crossed Tookland and continued to the Green Hill Country, until the point where the rolling hills hid Hobbiton from sight

Distance to next landmark: about 9km/5,5 miles until Stock Road

Distance left until Rivendell: 722km/449 miles

Here's a little video I made on that day

• Like 4

Assumed this was like the various Road to Mordor walking challenges that have popped up and we'd all be doing our own mileage.  You created this monster; it's your call.

I was thinking about taking up the mantle of a member of the Grey Company and making my way from Arnor to Gondor, which could take years at the rate I get out on hikes lately.

• Like 1

I am unaware of past challenges but realistically, going there and back again (I'm skipping the last part to Grey Havens) is 3.404 miles total, or 5.478km. At my current rate, doing 15km per hike means I need a little over 365 hikes to make it. Assuming I do one every weekend, that expands to 365 weeks. With a year having roughly 52 weeks in it, that would take a tad over 7 years. And that's IF I do a 15km hike every week. So yeah, I might need some assistance :P

• Like 3

Stacking hikes cumulatively might not be a terrible idea then.

Let's hike to Mordor?

tumblr_mhpa348bEd1s3uvpwo3_500.gif

I'm down with that. Gonna work on a spreadsheet of sorts. Unless someone wants to be the Excel Wizard.

If we're all working together on a hike to Mordor are we counting runs, or just proper Ranger adventuring ?

In the spirit of the original post, I suppose regular runs shouldn't count. But I'd certainly count trail runs, Survival Parkour ™ and even swimming

• Like 1

Google docs spreadsheet?

In the spirit of the original post, I suppose regular runs shouldn't count. But I'd certainly count trail runs, Survival Parkour ™ and even swimming

Agreed.  Let's keep things extra Rangery for the purposes of this bad boy!

• Like 1

Hey All, was thinking of helping out with your mileage. It'll be only a little to start, swimming likely. But as soon as I'm cleared, I'm headed to the hills!

If that is cool with you all, of course.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geez DR - You and all your ideas... They are ALWAYS so AWESOME.  

I'll be hiking with some Boy Scouts this weekend so I should be able to contribute too.  I've no idea of the terrain.  I'll just have to Be Prepared for anything.  

• Like 1

Planned to go on a hike today, then friends who we were going with changed their minds and wanted to go swimming instead. So we thought we'd stop and do a bit of trail walking before we met them.. Stopped at park called Viewpoint park as that sounded promising. There was a trail through the woods, about  half a mile. But the view was of the freeway :(

Well I am doing my own walk to Mordor and I will hike when I can!  I'm dealing with Achilles' tendons' injuries right now so not sure when hiking will work, but once I can I'm there!