• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

Boromir was right!

Nice! Are you trail running?

A lot of my miles were.  This was a 23-25 mile trail loop I was hiking that turned into 37 miles in two days.  I only put down 34 because I figure some of that was around camp and such.  I'm going to do a write up on it when I get a chance this week.  Today I am nursing my feet.

CAM00385.jpg

Hey, Can I put Atlas on this spreadsheet? 

CAM00372.jpg

With 34 miles he's not off to a bad start! 

• Like 3

Ouch, nusre the feet. Nice your dog gets top of the list right off the bat. ;-) My dog is lazy and only allowed on a small percentage of the trails around here. I want to take him though cause he loves getting out on the trail.

• Like 1

Atlas is 8 so he's slowing down.  I have another Aussie that is even higher energy and would have loved to go when she was younger.  But she has a joint issue so now even if I take her for a walk she has trouble moving the next day.

Flat hike 9.11 miles. I came across a trail I didn't find on my map and couldn't find the one I planned taking back, even though I have been on it before. I ended up adding a mile or two avoiding it to go to a trail that I knew on the map. I spent the last 2 miles coming back in the dark. It's a good thing I brought a couple flash lights! Looking at it when I got home I think they changed the name of the trail I wanted to take to the name I found, but couldn't find on my map.

• Like 5

Flat hike 9.11 miles. I came across a trail I didn't find on my map and couldn't find the one I planned taking back, even tough I have been on it before. I ended up adding a mile or two avoiding it to go to a trail that I knew on the map. I spent the last 2 miles coming back in the dark. It's a good thing I brought a couple flash lights! Looking at it when I got home I think they changed the name of the trail I wanted to take to the name I found, but couldn't find on my map.

Getting  cartographically challenged is how all the cool kids get in extra miles.

• Like 3

Logged 6.63mi hike today. My dog came along and loved it. At one point we crossed a stream and he plopped right down for a rest. I decide he has a great idea and look for a rock to sit on. I look down and jumped. Strolling right by was a snake about a foot from my boot. I went straight on alert for a second as the color is similar to a rattlesnake. I quickly scan the body and realize there is no rattle, the head is the wrong shape and the markings are not right either. Whew!!

Further along the trail I saw two large animals. My dog was off leash so I immediately had to grab him. When I turned around I caught glimpse of them jumping out of the way. It happened really quickly so I didn't get a good look at where they were, but from what I could tell they leaped off onto the cliff-side. I'm no deer expert, but I don't think they do that. I think I actually saw bighorn sheep which are really rare here.

post-21951-0-88456300-1449630009_thumb.j

post-21951-0-76330900-1449630008_thumb.j

• Like 2

So back when I was about 7 I use to eat my breakfast and look out the window and looked at the mountain peaks. One of those peaks looked like a little chair. I told my dad about how it looked like a mouse chair. He gave a quick lesson on perspectives and after that I marveled as I looked at that peak. I asked my dad if anyone ever had been there and he said he didn't know if there was a path, but you would have to hike the whole mountain to get there. For some reason I decided that one day I would try to climb to the "Giant Chair" if it was possible. A couple years ago I learned there was a trail to it, but it was a difficult trail. Most people swore the trail doesn't reach the peak, but a friend told me there was a way,but she didn't know it. After a bit of searching online I finally found the trail, but it is closed Jan - April which is prime hiking season here. 

I've attempted twice before and didn't make it, but today I finally made it! The last 1/2 mile was quite a doozy. Had to climb up a 12-15ft rock face and a few 8ft or so ones. I didn't know that was going to be required, but it really made my day. I haven't really done that since I was a kid which somehow seemed fitting. Now I know why the information isn't out there, it's not for everyone.

In total I hiked 6.97mi with 3300ft climb. My legs feel like jelly. It was the hardest hike I've ever done. Big step ups. Fairly steep, lots of loose dirt, dried grass, and some leaves made the path really slippery. I don't think my body was quite ready yet. Took 8:30 hours will all my rests. But man I am so glad I did it!

• Like 4

Man, I love the mountains. I recently learned flat plains make me anxious. Haha. I would post a pic, but my computer still needs 30min-1hr to recognize the camera. Silly thing hates removable drives. Oh well.