• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

Boromir was right!

So back when I was about 7 I use to eat my breakfast and look out the window and looked at the mountain peaks. One of those peaks looked like a little chair. I told my dad about how it looked like a mouse chair. He gave a quick lesson on perspectives and after that I marveled as I looked at that peak. I asked my dad if anyone ever had been there and he said he didn't know if there was a path, but you would have to hike the whole mountain to get there. For some reason I decided that one day I would try to climb to the "Giant Chair" if it was possible. A couple years ago I learned there was a trail to it, but it was a difficult trail. Most people swore the trail doesn't reach the peak, but a friend told me there was a way,but she didn't know it. After a bit of searching online I finally found the trail, but it is closed Jan - April which is prime hiking season here. 

I've attempted twice before and didn't make it, but today I finally made it! The last 1/2 mile was quite a doozy. Had to climb up a 12-15ft rock face and a few 8ft or so ones. I didn't know that was going to be required, but it really made my day. I haven't really done that since I was a kid which somehow seemed fitting. Now I know why the information isn't out there, it's not for everyone.

In total I hiked 6.97mi with 3300ft climb. My legs feel like jelly. It was the hardest hike I've ever done. Big step ups. Fairly steep, lots of loose dirt, dried grass, and some leaves made the path really slippery. I don't think my body was quite ready yet. Took 8:30 hours will all my rests. But man I am so glad I did it!

Wow, that sounds amazing!

• Like 1

Got to go out to the trail today. Did a quick 3.25 mile hike. Gorgeous weather for a hike.

I track my hikes through mapmyride and it shows lifetime stats. According to it I have hiked 285 miles in the last 3 years. That is only a little over 60% of the way to Rivendell. Holy cow Frodo and Sam walked a great distance. Comparatively in the US going to Mordor is like going from Los Angeles to Gerogia then going up to Maine! The whole time fearing for your life and the fate of the Middle Earth!

• Like 2

Got to go out to the trail today. Did a quick 3.25 mile hike. Gorgeous weather for a hike.

I track my hikes through mapmyride and it shows lifetime stats. According to it I have hiked 285 miles in the last 3 years. That is only a little over 60% of the way to Rivendell. Holy cow Frodo and Sam walked a great distance. Comparatively in the US going to Mordor is like going from Los Angeles to Gerogia then going up to Maine! The whole time fearing for your life and the fate of the Middle Earth!

I love info like that.  LOL

Not been out on trails lately sadly enough.  I hope to get a couple miles this weekend.

• Like 1

Wow, that's nuts. I assumed it was comparable to one of the big US through hiking trails, but not really close.

Got in 4.53 good miles on Saturday. My first sunrise summit and my first solo hike. Thoroughly awesome.

Wow, that's nuts. I assumed it was comparable to one of the big US through hiking trails, but not really close.

Got in 4.53 good miles on Saturday. My first sunrise summit and my first solo hike. Thoroughly awesome.

Oh wait I wasn't really paying attention. That distance was for there and back. The distance to Mount Doom was 1,779 which is less than Appalachian Trail and Pacific Rim Trail.

On the wrong computer to add to the chart right now but 4.75 miles of trail run.  Lost some conditioning over the winter bulk but had to get some numbers back on the board.  Gotta represent the warriors over here. 

EDIT:  Fired up the desktop to put my numbers up.

• Like 2

3.61 mi hike with 20lbs. Got out too late to go any further. I had intended to do 6 mi. But I didn't want to do that trail with just a flashlight. The grass is tall and it would make looking for the cairns difficult.

• Like 1

Tacking up another 5.20 mile.  Didn't feel like it but it's supposed to drop 20F and snow so I was gonna feel a helluva lot less if I didn't do it today.  Still way out of shape compared to last year.  COnsidering looking at a trail half marathon at the end of next month but I would be run walking it for sure. 

• Like 2

I added my mileage for 3 more trips - one run in the ice and snow with my dog (who seemed perplexed I didn't have his dexterity), a little over 6 miles of reasonably easy hiking through the woods, and not quite 5 miles up the side of Quandary Peak. Didn't summit - too much wind and snow. I am starting to feel a little more comfortable with winter hiking, but it seems to take twice as long and requires twice the effort. 

12744474_10153390158763601_3316785436674

• Like 2

one-does-not-simply-walk-into-mordor.gif

I'll have to disagree with the Leader of the Rebellion on the subject. Frodo and Sam didn't just walk into Mordor. "Walking" implies a flat surface or mild inclination, usually on an clear trail. That was not the case, as the heroes had to deal more than their fare share of mountains, cliffs and caverns, not to mention the occasional running. Technically, Sam and Frodo hiked into Mordor. Recreating that feat is what this thread is all about

Tracking Spreadsheet

I know it's an old thread, but that spreadsheet is awesome. Could I get a copy?

5.5 mile run... but I put in 5.4... because even numbers soothe my neuroses.

Still struggling to build back up my endurance.  Took my over an hour to even hit 5 mile mark.

• Like 1

Added 3.37 today. Decided to head out after posting the california miles.

You're catching up and racking up more miles lately! You may pass me up. :)

It's starting to get hot and I am beginning to panic that I missed out on the hiking season. Plus I need to get in good shape for my trip later in the year. I need to be hiking at least weekly.