The Challenge has Been Issued

Greetings, fellow Rebels!

I'm a preschool teacher, single mom, and all-around nerd who has always thought exercise and fitness goals were for those who had some sort of mental illness that drove them to obsess about such things. And then it happened... I was swept off my feet by the embodiment of Adonis who has this silly notion that that I should go climb rocks with him. Despite my vehement protests, a trip has been planned with the promise that we'll start out easy - you can't go from in front of the screen to a 5.8 route, LOL! I, however, have never been one to do things half-way. I intend to do everything I can to ensure that I hit that 5.4-5.5 strong, don't have to bail, and not look like a complete newbie. (I'm already learning the lingo of this special category of nerds. Did you notice?)

What's a nerd do in such a situation? Research, of course! Which is what brought me here. Rather than adopting the rebel workout, I've sought out exercises which target the muscles most important to climbing. My requirements were things I can do at home without acquiring any equipment (a friend has loaned me a pull-up bar and a few hand weights until I'm ready to commit to making them a permanent part of my repertoire). I'm not prepared to workout in the company of those with that mental disorder I previously referred to and I can't devote the time or the resources required for a gym membership. I also need to be able to do this on my own terms - this is my arguement with my body and I don't need some "expert" telling me how far to push myself. I know myself well enough to know that would only discourage me.

Today marks day 15 of following a routine, which puts me half way to officially forming a habit and 12 days further than I have ever made it before! (I've known I should "get in shape" for a while, but never had a solid reason to do it.) The following is my current regiment and reps:

Workout A:

Plank 15sec/15 sec/15 sec

Forearm curls (3 lb.) 12/12/12

Woodchop (15 lb) 8/8/8 (I just stepped up the weight from 10 lb)

Squats (15 lbs) 8/8/8 (als just stepped up the weight)

Pull-ups 3 (I can't actually do a pull-up yet. I use a stool push my self up above the bar, hold, and slowly lower myself down.)

Workout B (from Kym Nonstop's sandbag workout):

Bicep curls (5 lb) 10/10/10

Squat switch-up (10 lb) 10/10/10

Around the world (10 lb) 10/10/10

Double row press (5 lb) 10/10/10

Sandbag drag (10 lb) 5 each side

I'm currently working out 3 days a week. On my "rest days" I either walk, hoola hoop, or some other activity to get me moving. So, in reality I've only hit the weights 7 times so far, but can already so results! I'm happy to report that I spent 5 hours hiking yesterday and handled it very well up until the last hour. I should add that this adventure was not the relatively flat-landed venture through wooded areas that I consider to be hiking. This was over rock-covered terrain (I'm talking completely covered with rocks the size of softballs or larger!) and through fast-moving water up to my knees. I may not have been weight training, but I sure got a workout!

I have 4 more weeks until our great adventure to the Adirondacks, which will include my first meeting with a rock face as well as a hike with an increase of over a thousand feet. (There will also be a tent involved, but I'm trying not to think about that too much right now.) If I can stick to my regiment through that time, I think I will be ready. I'm worried about staying on track, however, as I return to work tomorrow and start my masters degree program in just a few weeks. The demands on my time are about to increase exponentially, which may make it difficult to follow through on my quest.