Long time lurker, sporadic participant and dedicated student.

I have tried doing the challenges, but the timing never works out for me, so I am going to give this daily log thing a crack.

My goal: Do a pull up. Then do some more. And get stronger and lose a little weight (goal is to lower bf%).

Stats: 

Female

150 lbs

5' 3"

21 yr

Chest - 38"

Waist - 31"

Hips - 40"

former athlete

Approach: 

1. Bodyweight training

2. Karate

3. Active Rest Days

4. No binge eating! My diet is pretty clean, so I need to focus on energy in/out. It's the student stress life that really gets to me and makes me just eat loads of food at 10 pm. I will not go full paleo, but I do have my own kitchen and plan on making pretty much all my meals.

So far, I have followed a MWF bw schedule with Karate TR and active rest on SaSu for the entirety of August (from sedentary). Using startbodyweight.com I will basically follow that schedule. I am switching to a split schedule in September so I can do more exercises for bw. 

This is my schedule this week:

M- 6/6/6 split squat, 30s/30s/30s alt. lunges, 6/5/5 pushups, 4/4/4 inv. body row, 45s/45s/45s plank

T- Karate, 

W- 7/6/6 split squat, 40s/30s/30s alt. lunges, 6/6/5 pushups, 5/4/4 inv. body row, 45s/45s/45s plank

R- Karate Skipped b/c of sprained ankle

F- 7/7/6 split squat, 40s/40s/30s alt. lunges, 6/6/6 pushups, 5/5/4 inv. body row, 45s/45s/45s plank

Sa- active rest

Su- low intensity bike ride to campus (~2mi)

This is currently a mix of the bw guidelines from the NF blog and the startbodyweight program, but as I said I will be switching things up to go full startbodyweight in September.

Not too sure what will be daily in this log, maybe food? I have problems finding cheap/no time recipes so maybe that will be my daily approach.

Edit to add some info I might have left out: Yes I have goals to get stronger and lose weight, but I know they don't always work at the same time, so I want to lose the weight first.

Level 2 Badass.

Brawn 3 | Agility 0 | Intellect 2 | Cunning 1 | Willpower 2 | Presence 2

Attribute Systems are arbitrary and this one makes sense to me.

Challenge 9/14 - 10/25 | Challenge 11/2 - 12/14 | Training Journal

Pull-up Progress: Percent of my weight I can do a pullup with

59%
59%

Alright so I have a minor sprain in my ankle from a crazy new warmup my dojo is trying so I had to skip today's workout and take a walk instead. Tomorrow I hope it will be healed so that I can do both my workout and go to Karate.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Alright that sprain is now gone, feel much better and got back to my regular workout schedule today. I also meal planned so I don't end up snacking on just tons of jerky. Things are looking good. 

Edit: I also hit a PR for the mile run I do for warmup; I ran a mile in 10 min! I have not done that since my half marathon in 2013.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Alright! It's Monday, I'm feeling good! Got all my mealprep finished yesterday.

On the menu this week:

Breakfast - (1) skim milk, avocado and blueberry smoothie + jerky 

- (2) small portion of oatmeal (unflavored) with zucchini and sausage (portioned for macros)

Lunch - Salad (spinach/kale, carrots, tomatoes, chicken and maybe beans) + apple/orange

Dinner - (1) Squash soup (this stuff is delish) + sweet potato + meatballs

- (2) Chicken + more salad (spinach, carrots, tomatoes, sweet potato)

This week I am also doing something new with my workouts to see if I can do it.

Monday:

7/7/7 Split Squat

40/40/40s alt lunges

7/6/6 pushup

5/5/5 inv body row

50/45/45s plank

Karate (1 hr)

Tuesday: bike to school (2.5 mi one way, 5 mi total for day)

Wednesday:

8/7/7 split squat

45/40/45s alt lunges

6/6/6 dips

6/5/5 inv body row

50/50/45 plank

Karate (1hr)

Thursday: bike to school

Friday:

8/8/7 split squat

45/45/40 alt lunge

7/7/6 pushup

6/6/5 inv body row

50/50/50 plank

Sa/Su: hike/walk? not sure yet

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Everything went well yesterday; I'm sticking to diet and training. I like training before Karate because even though my body is a little tired, sometimes you won't have a choice of what your body feels like when you need to use any kind of martial art, so it very good for body and mind. (physical + mental training)

First day of the semester is today, so in a couple hours I will be taking my first class.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

I did not realize how exhausted I would be from even just riding my bike casually! It could also be that I think I had almost 8 hours of class straight. Luckily, I am dropping one of my classes so that will be reduced to maybe 6.5 hours (don't worry I signed up for more that I wanted to take so I had choice).

As far as diet goes, I am sticking to the foods I said I would eat. Tonight is training+karate. 

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Alrighty so training + karate didn't happen because I got to class and had not eaten enough for dinner and ended up really dizzy.  :topsy_turvy:

So I did the class, popped over to the grocery store and got something to eat on the way home, and realized I need to reconsider my dinner options. So, for the weekend, I need to find a quick dinner that is easy to mix up if I wanted (the way you can easily change your meal if it is a salad - the options are almost endless!) So it's the same base meal but I can mix up the things in the meal.

Additionally, it has been 4 weeks since I declared I would do something to get the heart beating a bit harder for at least 20 min every day and these are the things I have noticed about myself that have changed:

1. I feel sore and tired sometimes, but I feel amazing about my body. Yes, I still have fat, but I feel great when I look at myself in the mirror. I think my body carries itself just a little differently.

2. I get things done faster and correctly. (in both my training and otherwise)

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Took new measurements since it's been about a week now:

Chest: 37"

Waist: 31"

Hip: 40"

What I'm guessing is that when I was sedentary, I gained on my torso first then my chest and so now I am going to lose in reverse order. 

As per suggestion, I am adding in lat pulls to my workout, so I think I will have to start using the school's gym or go to the nearby playground during odd hours (so I don't take away from a child's playtime). They should make playgrounds for adults. I also watched the 2012 uneven bars final (again) yesterday. Those women are so amazing! It reminded me I want to do cool stuff with my body, so if I ever complete a challenge, I will probably be joining the assassins. I want to work back up to exercising ~ 2hr/night because it is really good for me, but I also have to figure out how to balance school. I am not studying anything easy (engineering), so it's not as if I will always have a ton of free time. Gotta enjoy it while I can.

I'll go back to sipping my coffee and stalking the forums now.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Yesterday I got frustrated with things that are going wrong in my life so I ended up 1. punching inanimate things and 2. going on a run(ish) where I stopped and did handstands and cartwheels (always wanted to do an aerial/nohanded cartwheel) and I realized I can actually hold a handstand for a bit if I have the confidence to kick up into it. When I got back to my apt, I realized I had spent about 40 min outside! woah totally wasn't expecting that. Playing outside is fun.

Today is the last day of this week's workout (my weeks start on Mon). I am mixing up next week to accommodate my schedule, so I will have Karate MW, Training TRSa and active (walk a mile?) rest day on Sunday b/c I do not want to get worn out.

I am looking forward to the new challenge so I can actually participate, but I really wish I knew when it started so I can plan ... I don't get a ton of free time on weekdays and don't want to be late for this challenge, too.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

I did the workout yesterday. I feel stronger. I always thought I was strong, but bodyweight training is making me realize I really wasn't that strong. Also, I am going to use a mental technique my coach taught me; I have to create my perfect self in my minds eye and become that person. This will probably help me do things that I know I have to do (like check email - so much anxiety).

Anywho, this week:

M - Karate

T - 

8/8/8 split squat

4/4/4 leg raises ( the lunges and bridges just weren't doing anything for me)

7/6/6 dips

6/6/6 inv body weight rows

55/50/50 plank

4/4/4 lat pulls

W - Karate and Kickboxing? I want to check out how the new kickboxing class at my university is programmed (actual fighting vs "cardio"). If it leans toward fighting, I will look into adding this to my week. 

R -

4/4/4 beginner shrimp squat

5/4/4 leg raises

7/7/7 pushup

7/6/6 inverse body weight rows

55/55/50 plank

5/4/4 lat pulls

F- Belegarth (kinda LARP, but not really...I go to fight)/ walk

Sa -

5/4/4 shrimp squat

5/5/4 leg raises

7/7/6 dips

7/7/6 inv bodyweight rows

55/55/55 plank

5/5/4 lat pulls

Su - total rest (don't want to get worn out) with lots of stretching; I feel really tight and I don't want to lose my flexibility.

Sparkit wakes up with the first alarm. She gets 8 hours of sleep to let her body recover. She answers emails in a timely manner. Sparkit reads for class. Sparkit realizes she does not have control of the world and has patience with other people unless they totally screw her over (what, am I supposed to let people just walk over me?).

Also I should not have let others talk me into playing a board game until 12 last night....I feel so drowsy. 

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Finally found the challenge dates and I am excited because I would like to participate in the next 2 challenges, which will end just as school is ending! perfect!

I just got loaded with lots of extracurriculars and realized I need to get some priorities straightened out there. Since it's the beginning of the semester, I can afford that extra time commitment, but I won't be able to in a week or so. What I need is a time-turner, like Hermione. I will just have to make do with using my time efficiently and not volunteering for EVERYTHING.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Alright, a couple of things went wrong with my workout yesterday.

1. I started late (like right before bedtime)

2. I ate right before (felt sluggish)

3. no pullup bar = I had to use my door for the lat pulls (it's those things where you hang and then just activate part of the pullup, right?)

I also started noticing tightness in my muscles, which means I need to stretch more. Also, my front stance seems to be pretty solid. 

the next couple weeks at school will be pretty nutty because they sort of expect you to be job hunting and put on a bunch of events to support that, which is nice, but very overwhelming for the second week of school -_- I just want to make sure I do my training and do what I can to prepare for everything they're throwing at me now.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Last night was interesting because I had to actually teach the Karate class. We went through some basics, kata and finished up with some team-building (ultimate frisbee with a kumite glove). It felt...underwhelming, but fun! Today I need to go to my school's gym; I'm nervous because once I went and some lady yelled at me for using equipment while she was trying to do a circuit.... and ever since, I have been anxious about going. This is why I want almost nobody in the gym when I'm there. There's got to be a better way.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

I'll admit, I ate a lot of things I'm not proud of last night in quantities I am definitely not proud of. All I can do is move forward and pick better, smaller-portioned things in the future. I also did not do the workout I meant to do, so I did it today instead at my school's gym. Turns out if you go in the middle of the day, there aren't that many people. The shrimp squats are...interesting? and what I thought were lat pulls are not actually lat pulls... What I am doing is hanging from the pu bar and trying to contract my back/shoulder region and holding it for a few seconds and releasing.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Talked to my senpai, a woman who is training to become a personal trainer, about pullups and she suggested using the assisted pull up machine (the one where you only pull part of your weight) instead of the hanging and muscle activation. Honestly, I'll do anything that will get me to that pull up. 

Also, I was messing around last night and got a handstand for 5 s; I was so proud of myself. For giggles, I also joined an acroyoga club which looks pretty awesome - leveraging weight and maintaining poses looks like it will be fun! I was looking to add to my training regime anyways because I don't really feel too challenged anymore with the short(ish) workouts. Of course, everything is up in the air due to school ramping up over the next  few weeks. Tonight I want to complete the last set of BW and then take a rest day tomorrow, as planned.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Alright, I am feeling excited for the next week! And also a bit nervous. The theme this week is "Just do it," one of my favorite ones that gets me off my butt and out there doing cool stuff.

Tomorrow, I am going to take some measurements for progress. This will be body measurements, bf% and weight (my gym has a scale in it). Here is how next week is going to go:

Monday:

Morning:

5/5/4 beg. shrimp squat

5/5/5 leg raises

8/7/7 pushups

7/7/7 inv body row

60/55/55 pank

4/4/4 50% bw asst. pu

Evening: Karate

Tuesday: 2.5 m run

Wednesday:

Morning:

5/5/5 shrimp squat

6/5/5 leg raises

7/7/7 dips

7/7/7 inv body row

60/60/55 plank

5/4/4 50% bw pu

Karate

Evening: Karate

Thursday: 2 m run, acro yoga

Friday: REST

Saturday:

6/5/5 shrimp squat

6/6/5 leg raises

8/8/7 pushups

8/7/7 inv body row

60/60/60 plank

5/5/4 50% bw pu

Sunday: 3 m run

I hope this isn't too much for me, but I have faith I will make it. Ideally, I go to the school gym for all my workouts and do all my runs outside in the morning (even though I prefer evening workouts).

I also want to take a rest week at some point but idk when because I think it would be strange to do that at the beginning of a challenge. 

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Alright, just got back from my first early-morning gym escapade. It was great - I suppose a few upsides are that I don't really need equipment (bw exercises), I already wake up this early and now I don't really have any excuses to not be social at night. Of course, this is the first day, so I'll give it a week and see how I still feel.

Did measurements this morning with only coffee and some (half a handful) nuts in me:

Chest - 37"

Waist - 31"

Hips - 40"

Weight - 150 lbs (ugh same as july)

And I have come to the conclusion that I am actually maintaining my weight/fat with my current diet and need to make a change. So I'll try cutting out oatmeal unless I am about to pass out, move my "large" meal to lunch and start tracking calories ( :( ) I tracked calories in highschool, but now I really hate it. I know that it's probably the only way I'm going to lose weight.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Okay, I took an impromptu week of rest partially due to getting a cold and partially to the fact that it is perfect timing. I am now off to create a challenge thread. Away! 

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Still sick :( bought some daytime meds and it's been almost a week so hopefully it'll go away soon. In the meantime, if anybody is checking this forum, be sure to check out my challenge thread! (in signature)

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

unfortunately, I am still sick and the curry soup i tried was pretty bad. Trying to find a way to salvage.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Started up where I left off; Ran my 2.5 miles 31:16 m:s

I was definitely very tight and I coughed a lot and had some trouble breathing either because I am not used to running outside/on gentle hills or it has to do with the cold.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Still not feeling 100% so today I will go to karate once and do my normal workout. Also, I forgot how much I love an eggs and bacon breakfast and it's kinda been my jam this week. Happy Hump Day!

09acbb41c93a7416430530f84e1a18b7.jpg

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

TGIF 

Also, I feel extremely spent and am still coughing so I decided to ease back into exercise. And now I will forever carry around hand sanitizer esp when I am around children. I really want to get into a rhythm but it really feels like my whole world is against me. 

On the positive side, I went to acroyoga last night and while it was not super intense or a directed class, I really enjoyed messing around and found it really relaxing so I will continue going back. It also motivates me to do more bodyweight stuff so I can do cooler things. 

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Officially back on the groove! I picked up on my wednesday workout from last time I posted workouts and need to figure out a gameplan for friday, but I am super excited to say I started working out consistently again and I am no longer sick! I'm going to get a flu shot tomorrow morning, though, but I won't let it keep me down!

I also realized I am a lot weaker than I thought I was. It's humbling but also disappointing. I always had an image in my head of the ridiculously strong Sparkit, which I suppose it is true I am pretty strong for a low level of activity. Anyways, it makes me excited about how awesome I can be in the future.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Woke up really early (5 am, although it used to be my norm...) and ran 2.0 miles yesterday and felt really awake for about 4 hours then extremely sleepy and disinterested in my classes. boo. I liked waking up that early regularly, but my friends keep me up late. Where do I make the compromise?

• Like 1

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%