Alternatives to nuts?

Diezel

I recently started back on Paleo, but I have been eating way too many nuts. They are super convenient when I need a snack not to mention satisfying. Anybody have some suggestions of other convenient snacks that I could try? Thanks!

Level 2 Hobbit Wannabe Ranger

STR 5 : DEX 3 : STA 6 : CON 4.5 : WIS 5 : CHA 4

Baby carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers, and celery are my go-to snacks.  Radishes as well, if you can handle them.  Quick, snack sized, and low calorie.

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

During my long, boring afternoons in the office, my staples are:

1) Water. Seriously, it helps if your snacking is more motivated by boredom or anxiety than hunger

2) Unsweetened tea or coffee. Same as above, plus I like the taste.

3) If I'm actually hungry, fruit. Unless you seriously overdo it, they're ok. In any case, they're much better than any processed snack that you'd be eating instead.

coconut oil in tea, dates, dried fruit, honeycomb, jerky, meat sticks, kale, ham and pineapple kebabs, try using a juice blender for a filling smoothy. There's also loads of homemade recipes you can pre-make using coco powder, frozen banana etc. I wouldnt go absolutely crazy about what you eat with paleo, there will be times when you literally cant do it, as a rule of thumb follow it 90% and leave 10% leeway. 

Seconding the suggestion to try drinking water (or tea - I'm a huge tea fan, and tea often makes me feel like I'm 'consuming' something more than water, because it's got flavour and takes me some effort to make).

If you're having trouble with snacking, maybe try either increasing your meal portions a bit, or eating a larger number of smaller meals throughout the day?

If it's just that you feel like you should be having some form of food thing, perhaps try veggies like carrots or celery. I sometimes sit with a carrot if I'm working while stressed because it takes me a while to eat the carrot and it stops me getting up and getting higher-calorie foods over and over again. That only works if the issue is food-for-comfort rather than food-for-hunger, though - if I'm still hungry after the carrot, I'll fix myself something a bit more substantial.

• Like 1

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I recently started back on Paleo, but I have been eating way too many nuts. They are super convenient when I need a snack not to mention satisfying. Anybody have some suggestions of other convenient snacks that I could try? Thanks!

What direction are you leaning towards?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Week #0Food logging: ☑☑☑ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #1Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐

Week #2Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #3Food logging: ☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐

Week #4Food logging: ☐☐☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Previous challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #4.5 #5

Level 3 Lycan Ranger

Workout audiobook: Patriot Games

Looking for accountability buddies: Strava My FitnessPal Moov Google Fit

As previously mentioned, its all about the veggies!

If you like your nuts, why not have one nut, with a whole carrot, that way you feel like you are getting your nut fix whilst consuming something else as well.

I also find that having lots of different things to snack on helps rather than focussing on one thing. I currently have a bunch of grapes on my desk, a bag of carrot sticks and some celery. 

Don't have a recipe for you but I have seen people who roast chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and they go really crispy sort of into a chips/popcorn alternative. I've been thinking about trying it out too see how it goes (I love anything and everything crunchy). If you do it first let me know and vice versa :D