The 30-Day Paleo Challenge Extravaganza!! (all the cool kids are doing it!)

Okay, everyone...

The day is upon us! January 1, 2012, is just around the corner.

The purpose of this challenge is to "go Paleo" for the month of January (Sunday, January 1 - Tuesday, January 31). For many of us, this will be the kick in the pants we need to clean up our diet in the long term.

If you're interested in how this challenge got its start, check out the original thread here.

You ready to kick some Paleo bootay??

To participate, here's what you need to do:

Create an introduction post to this thread, and include:

- Reason(s) why you're choosing to go Paleo and participate

- Personal goals you'll be working towards

- Starting stats (for example: gender, age, height, weight, bodyfat %, measurements, etc.)

- "Before" pics (optional, but encouraged)

Let's get this party started!!!!!

I'm in.

Who else wants to make this a super-duper badass challenge and do it for the entire next 6-Week challenge starting January 2nd?

Also, I'll share before/after photos during the challenge, so I am not posting stats. Pictures > stats (in my opinion). :)

Sweeeet! And I am ALL for making it into a super-duper badass 6-week challenge. The longer I can maintain this awesome lifestyle, the better!

Pictures are definitely > stats, especially if body composition is a goal. I took my before pics yesterday and plan on taking my bodyfat % today (I don't think it'll change much before now and Sunday).

I'm so excited!! HUZZAH!!

Congrats, excited to see where it takes you. I lost over 20 pouinds in 6 weeks last time I went hardcore paleo. :)

Ooh, a success story! I might be hittin you up for advice! What made you decide on paleo?

Lets Do This!

Why am I doing this?

I'm done with this short, chubby, nerd label I've worn my entire life. I'm done with being judged, and I'm done with sitting back and watching people do things that I just dreamed about. I chose Paleo because reading the information leads me to the logical conclusion that it works and its the best solution for me. I chose NF because its a forum of my own peers that completely get where I'm coming from and my reasons for wanting to get in better shape.

Personal goals:

To stick with the Paleo Diet. It will be challenging to cut out pop more then anything. So 30 days, no pop. I can't reward myself with one either because that puts me in the mindframe that if one doesn't hurt, five won't.

Force myself to cash the check my ass wrote to myself a long time ago that if I did go back to school that I would get in better shape, because I want to.

Get a grip on my fitness goals. I've always been very wishy-washy about my goals, so I want to take this month and explore different athletic venues and in the end set clear and concise goals for the future.

So I can post a picture of me in a wetsuit and not cringe.

Be able to sing "I'm Sexy and I know it" and believe it!

Stats: 5'3, I'm guessing somewhere between 200-220. I don't have a scale and I'm planning on getting one next week. Body Fat is around 38% (Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle) I will put measurements up when I get a tape. And post pics when I'm not scared to :P

Lets go to work...

Wake Your Dreams...

Lets Do This!

Why am I doing this?

I'm done with this short, chubby, nerd label I've worn my entire life. I'm done with being judged, and I'm done with sitting back and watching people do things that I just dreamed about. I chose Paleo because reading the information leads me to the logical conclusion that it works and its the best solution for me. I chose NF because its a forum of my own peers that completely get where I'm coming from and my reasons for wanting to get in better shape.

Personal goals:

To stick with the Paleo Diet. It will be challenging to cut out pop more then anything. So 30 days, no pop. I can't reward myself with one either because that puts me in the mindframe that if one doesn't hurt, five won't.

Force myself to cash the check my ass wrote to myself a long time ago that if I did go back to school that I would get in better shape, because I want to.

Get a grip on my fitness goals. I've always been very wishy-washy about my goals, so I want to take this month and explore different athletic venues and in the end set clear and concise goals for the future.

So I can post a picture of me in a wetsuit and not cringe.

Be able to sing "I'm Sexy and I know it" and believe it!

Stats: 5'3, I'm guessing somewhere between 200-220. I don't have a scale and I'm planning on getting one next week. Body Fat is around 38% (Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle) I will put measurements up when I get a tape. And post pics when I'm not scared to :P

Lets go to work...

YAY!!! Welcome!!

Those are all FANTASTIC reasons to do this. I think it's great that you're looking for different types of activities instead of trying to force yourself into a routine that isn't right for you as an individual. "Clear and concise goals" - awesome. We can help you with that by making some suggestions, if you'd like, once you find a routine you're comfortable with and enjoy :)

You can do it!

I'm in!

I chose this challenge because I am already in pretty good shape, but feel like I need to go the extra mile to get to where I want to be. I go through cycles where I don't eat much bread/pasta/rice, but after the holidays, I have been eating a lot of that and desserts, and feel like garbage as a result. If I make it a challenge I might actually stick to it, and in return feel great.

Personal goals I will be working towards are becoming a better cook. I can cook okay now, but I want to be a great cook. I want to want my food over going out to eat. And I want to drink less alcohol, not that I drink a lot now, but much of my social life revolves around going out to bars and alcohol, I stopped going out as much as I used to and offer to be DD about half of the times that I go out, but I want to find other things to do with my time.

Starting stats 24 y/o female, 5'7" 128 lbs., 13% body fat (according to my scale), but mostly measure my progress by looking in the mirror and how I feel

That challenge. Is epic. I cannot wait to read the whole thread! You, my friend, are an inspiration to us all.

I'm in!

I chose this challenge because I am already in pretty good shape, but feel like I need to go the extra mile to get to where I want to be. I go through cycles where I don't eat much bread/pasta/rice, but after the holidays, I have been eating a lot of that and desserts, and feel like garbage as a result. If I make it a challenge I might actually stick to it, and in return feel great.

Personal goals I will be working towards are becoming a better cook. I can cook okay now, but I want to be a great cook. I want to want my food over going out to eat. And I want to drink less alcohol, not that I drink a lot now, but much of my social life revolves around going out to bars and alcohol, I stopped going out as much as I used to and offer to be DD about half of the times that I go out, but I want to find other things to do with my time.

Starting stats 24 y/o female, 5'7" 128 lbs., 13% body fat (according to my scale), but mostly measure my progress by looking in the mirror and how I feel

Welcome! Great goals. Glad to have you aboard :)

It's nice to have a well-rounded group of individuals participating! You're gonna have to post some of your most successful paleo recipes so we can all enjoy! :D I know I'd definitely like to be a better cook (like you said, I want to want my food), and the less alcohol goal is a good one.

Count me in!!!

I totally need the extra incentive to get me over this hump...I have been stuck above 200lbs. and cannot seem to get past that...I think that this challenge may just do the trick.

I would love to lose ~20lbs...but really I am doing this to kick start my new year.

Here are my stats...

Male, 37yrs, 5'9" 208lbs BF% 31.58.

I will add measurements and pics later!!

I can't wait to get started!!

I'm definitely incorporating this challenge into my January 6-week challenge. Great idea, guys!

Reason(s) why I'm choosing to go Paleo and participate

1. I suck at sticking to a food plan without support. I have very little will power. I have a teenage son who likes to have very non-Paleo foods in the house (including Blue Bell ice cream!!!), which is torture. He has done Paleo before (with his dad) and is now doing Crossfit (both with his dad in San Antonio and here). I told him about this challenge, and he said he would help. I hope he realizes he's coming home next week to only Paleo foods in the house...

2. Going "Paleo" is the closest labeled food plan to what I consider to be an ideal way of eating. I'm not one for labels or fads, but Paleo is pretty close to what I already want to be doing. The challenge (and accountability contained therein) will force me to stick to a healthy eating. At least for a month, anyway. I hope the results will win me over and I will stick with it after the challenge commences.

Personal goals I'll be working towards (other than sticking to the Paleo diet)

1. Fit into my size 10 jeans, which I haven't been able to do in almost three years. Still got 'em in the closet.

2. Get a full-time job. Being unemployed (or underemployed) is horribly depressing. It makes me want to eat. A lot.

3. Meet the fitness requirements for Navy Reserve and/or Navy Active Duty. I am in a position to go back in, this time as an officer, but my age might limit my options. I want to AT LEAST be able to pass the PRT with flying colors.

4. Find (and purchase meat from) a grass-fed farm and decide if it's worth the extra legwork and expense.

Starting stats

Female

36 years old

5' 11"

Weight: 188 lbs

Body Fat:

33.4% (using this website)

33.9% (using this website)

*Note: I consider these methods to measure bf% very unreliable. Calipers and Omrons aren't much better. Water immersion is the only method I would trust with a reasonable amount of error. BUT at least I have a rough estimate what my bf% is.

Waist-to-Height Ratio: 0.46 (read more here)

Waist-to-Hips Ratio: 0.74 (keeping that hourglass shape...)

"Before" pic (taken last week)

http://nerdfitness.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=1240&d=1325105716

LET'S GO!!!

~Mel ••• Starbuck is my hero •••

30-Day Paleo Challenge Extravaganza!! ~~ Mel's Workout Log ~~ Online Measurements ~~ Online Weight Log ~~ twitter

YES. HERE WE GO.

Noun:

The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.

Verb:

Restrict oneself to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight

(Hint: We're going for the NOUN here.)

I am choosing to go Paleo because it makes sense to me. I'm a big fan of Michael Pollan's books and I used to do advocacy work with food politics and nutrition. I know how our body's work and what they need. With that, I need an eating that makes sense to help me improve my overall quality of life. Paleo is it!!

Eating-wise, my main goals are to give up soda, drink more water, and eat more vegetables. They're pretty cliche goals, yeah, but, they're good ones!

I don't have many numbers recorded right now because I'm away from home for the holidays, but I do have before pictures (which I've already posted on by Beach Challenge thread).

Height: 5'4"

Weight: 180 lbs +/- 2

BF%: Too high, I'm sure

I'm super excited to get started on this! Good luck to everyone and thank you to bondgirl for starting this challenge.

3. Meet the fitness requirements for Navy Reserve and/or Navy Active Duty. I am in a position to go back in, this time as an officer, but my age might limit my options. I want to AT LEAST be able to pass the PRT with flying colors.

I come from a Navy family :] My grandpa served 20 years Navy. My boyfriend is ex-Army, current Navy Reservist. And I'm joining (hopefully Nuc Program) after college. Good luck on those fitness requirements that's a great goal!

I just saw this video yesterday - actually it was posted by a fan on the NerdFitness facebook page. It impressed the hell out of me. So ya'lll watch it! It will give you some awesome reasons to try a paleo diet.

It is a TED talk by a doctor, Terry Wahls, who cured her MS by essentially following a paleo diet - the talk is called "Minding your Mitochondria."

Since Christmas is over I have been craving healthy, simple, non-holiday food. Since I watched that video I decided I was going to do a veggie/protein fast using her veggie guidelines plus this Chad Waterbury plan (roughly).

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?2741-a-seven-day-plan-from-Chad-Waterbury.

Today is day one - all veggie. I cheated doing veggie plus fruit as I started on a whim without going to the store to stock up on veggies that I don't have in my garden.

Level 1 Earth Mother Druid 

STR-2 DEX-1 STA-3 CON-3 WIS-3 CHA-3

I'm part of this!

Actually started yesterday, I've done paleo before and I lost weight dramatically (and I wasn't doing it full on) for a performance back in September. I just figured I'd stick with it this time. It forces me to be creative in the kitchen which I like to do.

Stats

Age 21

Height 5'6" on a good day

Weight 180 lbs

Plan on keeping a food journal and posting here with what I eat throughout the week. Will post the occassional recipie or explanation of what I made.

Oh by the way I'm ahead by two days now.

Hi! OK so here we go :D

My reasons for participating are many, but I will hit the high points:

1. I'm kicking Henderson Ass this year (competition with my bf and his family for weight loss)

2. I chose paleo after some research because there are issues that I seem to suffer from that I think a strict diet will help me to address. I grew up with a milk allergy and while I feel that I have out grown it I am wondering if I am wrong. I think cutting out all dairy for 30+ days and then trying it once again will be a worth while thing for me. While I have never been allergic to legumes, in for a penny in for a pound. Go hard core, see how it feels, then decide.

3. I have a pair of beautiful girls and I want to be here to see my grand kids. My youngest is suffering from many of the same things I went through as a child and it breaks my heart. My hope is that by getting my own act together I will be a good example and be better able to get her moving. Less of a hypocrite in trying to help her.

4. We have awesome and amazing plans for this summer. One of my goals is to be able to jump up into the seat on the V2 without having to get a boost from 6 Flags employee. I could ride everything I wanted to ride last year, though some things were uncomfortable. I want to be better able to keep up with the girls and not be the one slowing everyone down.

5. And while it may be petty I want to run into my ex at some point and KNOW I look better than I did when I kicked him out. I put on 70lbs over the course of my marriage, its time to loose the baggage.

My personal goals for the (now) 6 week challenge.

1. Get as close to the full 100% paleo as is possible.

2. Follow the Rebel Fitness Guide and move on to the 2nd set of work outs

3. Re arrange my sleep schedule, goodbye daywalker hello nightshift. Get the girls on a schedule that will let me get enough sleep and enjoy my time with them. I am a person who NEEDS 7 hrs of sleep, but tends to go without and then replace sleep with food to keep awake.

4. Get enough water, minimum of 69 oz a day.

I'm 36 years old, somewhere between 227-230 lbs. My gadget says I'm sitting at 45.4% body fat (though that is down from the 15th of this month.

Here are my before pics: (I am so looking forward to seeing those change)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1241[/ATTACH]

post-3852-13567243264512_thumb.jpg

I am my own evil twin!

~~ Paleo Challenge! ~~ Blog ~~

Ok I am in

The main reason I am needing to do this challenge is to kick myself in the pants and to show myself that I can kick ass like I once did.

Little background, I was in the US Army Infantry 21 years ago and while I wasn't one of the super soldiers I did pretty good on PT tests and other things but some how after I got out, I managed to lose the whole killer instinct when it came to my overall fitness level. I am going to find that warrior again and bring him back into the light (I guess my reading the DragonLance Legends series over the holidays helped with this). I have always played a fighter/mage combo, ranger, or paladin in D&D so I guess that seems to carry over to my real life and I want to be able to look the part and actually move that way... like I once did.

I have lost weight but I want to continue to do this so I can be down to 240 by my daughter's high school graduation date on May 19th. Right now I am sitting at 295 lbs after the holidays ( I majorly screwed up and gained weight during the holidays) and I honestly have seen results from a quasi paleo attempt that I have been doing but didn't know I was doing till I started reading NF.

Goals

My first goal is to decrease my bodyfat and also decrease my weight. I am shooting for 18 lbs for the 6 weeks and reduce the body fat from 27-28% ti 24-25%

Second Goal is to decrease my waist measure from 48 inches to 45 inches in the six week time frame.

3rd goal is to actually start running and get off our elipitical glider. By this summer I am going to completed a 5k with a fairly good time.

4th goal is to kick my addiction to Diet Coke for good.. which I think I can do in a 6 week time frame.

5th goal is to do at least 1 good pullup (something that I can't ever remember being able to do)

How I am going to get there is a cross between Angry Birds workout and advanced/Beginner body weight workout.

Here are my measurements

Neck - 18.5 inches

Waist (at Navel) 48 inches

body fat is 23% using 3 site and calibers or 33% using the Army tape test, so it is somewhere in middle around 27-28%. Either way it way to much.

I am going to attempt to post some pictures in the next day or so.

I'm gonna be kinda lame and just follow this thread. For inspiration, because last week I decided to go on a paleo challenge in March, even excluding dairy, so let's see what happens. I'm going a long trip and mooching off my family so it'd be hard to be full paleo. Also, I'll be practicing it in the mean time so March can be successful. I can't wait to see how you guys handle it for inspiration.

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

I'm in!

I'm going to try and go as Paleo as possible if my budget and the local stores allow it. There are certainly things that are just completely unavailable to me so I have to make due with what I've got. I have no local farmer's market and the only butcher near me is SUPER expensive from what I've heard. Wal*Mart and Giant will just have to do. I'm trying to find more paleo friendly things to cook and bake with but the small town I live in makes it so darn difficult.

Here is my workout log for pictures, measurements, etc.

Why do I want to do this?

To lose weight, be healthy, get more energy to life heavy things and to help reduce the issues I have in relation to my Crohn's Disease, acid reflux and possibly eczema.

Personal Goals

To eat as Paleo as possible.

To remove all the junk from my house.

To significantly cut out grains from my diet.

To stop nibbling on the biscuits at work (sometimes I hate being a waitress because of all the food I'm around...).

I will allow myself a few small cheats because it's so hard to be strictly Paleo on my budget and with the lack of whole food stores around me. I shall do my best!

P.S. - Just got my copy of Robb Wold's The Paleo Solution in the mail. Gonna be reading it ASAP. :)