The 30-Day Paleo Challenge Extravaganza!! (all the cool kids are doing it!)

I can honestly say i thought i ate a lot of veggies in the past, this past week i felt part rabbit at the amount of carrots, peppers, cukes that i ate. Add to that the turkey, chicken, and lean beef and it was a good week. This week i'm going to branch out to other items. My workouts are way tougher now that i am cramming everything into 45-60min as the article i read says i should do. Results of that are i'm fully exhausted now instead of just kind of sore. Diet took a minor detour on Saturday night when i had fish and chips. Ready to attack Week 2!

I know its not too late to join. If not, here's my info:

- Reason(s) why you're choosing to go Paleo and participate

I really need to be more strict with my diet. I already know I cant (and haven't in a while) eat sugars, grains, legumes, but I need help staying on the path. Plus I need to add more veggies to my daily intake. I recently saw a TED Talks video about MS and the Paleo diet, and that included a large amount of veggies daily.

- Personal goals you'll be working towards

More weight loss, stability with my MS, more energy.

- Starting stats (for example: gender, age, height, weight, bodyfat %, measurements, etc.)

Female

Age 33

5'6"

unknown weight

36-30-40

the rest is unknown

- "Before" pics (optional, but encouraged)

Ill post one later...maybe :)

My Paleo Sunday dinner

Roast pork loin with carrots celery and onions

Mashed Sweet potatoes only butter salt pepper cinnamon and nutmeg

Sauteed Cabbage with onions garlic and apples

That sounds SO good. I've got a pork loin sitting at home that I need to cook somehow, but I'm thinking of saving that until Thursday when I get paid so I can make some really awesome side dishes to go with it. Tonight will be chicken and veggies, lol.

I can honestly say i thought i ate a lot of veggies in the past, this past week i felt part rabbit at the amount of carrots, peppers, cukes that i ate. Add to that the turkey, chicken, and lean beef and it was a good week. This week i'm going to branch out to other items. My workouts are way tougher now that i am cramming everything into 45-60min as the article i read says i should do. Results of that are i'm fully exhausted now instead of just kind of sore. Diet took a minor detour on Saturday night when i had fish and chips. Ready to attack Week 2!

Sounds like fantastic work! (fish and chips is a worthy detour, in my opinion - but you never heard me say that!) I'm trying to expand my list of veggies I eat and want to try new things and new methods of cooking. Which article did you read?

Oh score! Went out to lunch today and found a restaurant that does grass fed meat and will change out the bun and frys for a salad when you order a combo. I now have a backup plan if I fail to prepare my lunches.

Sweeeet! What's the restaurant?

Also, fruit seems a shipload sweeter now.

So true! Have you tasted a strawberry lately? I can't imagine how good they'll taste in season. And blueberries, omgosh!

Unnnh, hitting the afternoon slump, really difficult not to go to the store around the corner and pick up a chocolate bar. >_<

I know the feeling! Do you have any snacks with you to help with the craving/hunger? What I do when I hit my afternoon slump is kinda weird. I get up and go to the bathroom, taking my time to walk around, then make the rounds to say hello to people. I also try to drink lots of cold water - it really works!

The hardest thing about exercise is to start doing it. Once you are doing exercise regularly, the hardest thing is to stop it.

- - Erin Gray

Just wanted to share. It is very true. Get through the tough part and it'll be hard to get you to STOP!

"The Question is Not Who is Going to Let Me... It's Who is Going to STOP me."

I know the feeling! Do you have any snacks with you to help with the craving/hunger? What I do when I hit my afternoon slump is kinda weird. I get up and go to the bathroom, taking my time to walk around, then make the rounds to say hello to people. I also try to drink lots of cold water - it really works!

I had a small pack of pistachios around, which helped a bit, but not enough! I'll have to try that next time.

I admit, I'm also still having a bit of coffee with milk and sugar. (Which does help with the slump.) Everything else is full paleo, but... I'm seriously addicted, yet *hate* coffee black. I've cut down from 5-6 cups a day to 2, though. One in the morning, one in the afternoon. Tried to go cold turkey on Monday and was kind of disturbed by how quickly and severely the withdrawal kicked in. About 6 hours after I normally would've had my first cup, I felt like I had a really bad flu. Headache, tiredness, a bit shaky, queasy, felt all hot and gross... not good. So I'm phasing it out a bit more slowly. Should have it out of my system and be full paleo by next week.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

I had a small pack of pistachios around, which helped a bit, but not enough! I'll have to try that next time.

I admit, I'm also still having a bit of coffee with milk and sugar. (Which does help with the slump.) Everything else is full paleo, but... I'm seriously addicted, yet *hate* coffee black. I've cut down from 5-6 cups a day to 2, though. One in the morning, one in the afternoon. Tried to go cold turkey on Monday and was kind of disturbed by how quickly and severely the withdrawal kicked in. About 6 hours after I normally would've had my first cup, I felt like I had a really bad flu. Headache, tiredness, a bit shaky, queasy, felt all hot and gross... not good. So I'm phasing it out a bit more slowly. Should have it out of my system and be full paleo by next week.

That is fantastic progress. I know how hard it can be to kick a habit like caffeine. I used to hate having coffee black, but then I bought a French press and started making some coffee at home for myself when I was in the mood. It. tastes. so. good. A couple times now I've stopped at Dunkin Donuts and gotten a small coffee with a "little bit of cream" (because they don't have non-dairy creamer) and two Splenda. That feels really sweet to me now since I cut out soda.

Back on the horse after my minor slip up yesterday had a nice burger salad for dinner :)

Way to not let minor slip ups define your progress. Always make what you do AFTER the minor slip ups be what defines it :)

That is fantastic progress. I know how hard it can be to kick a habit like caffeine. I used to hate having coffee black, but then I bought a French press and started making some coffee at home for myself when I was in the mood. It. tastes. so. good. A couple times now I've stopped at Dunkin Donuts and gotten a small coffee with a "little bit of cream" (because they don't have non-dairy creamer) and two Splenda. That feels really sweet to me now since I cut out soda.

Thanks! I'm going to try going down to one cup tomorrow, see how it goes. I'm really missing it psychologically though - sitting down to a task with a fresh cup of warm, sweet coffee really helped my concentration. I'll have to find something else.

I made this for dinner tonight, just left out the apples: http://stevepaleo.blogspot.com/2009/03/paleo-pork-chops.html

Sooooo good. Boyfriend loved it too, think he can be convinced to let me cook paleo! I have some leftover salad and squash I'm going to take in for lunch tomorrow (I also have some chicken pieces and a small bag of steam-in-microwave veggies there waiting for me). And on the menu for dinner tomorrow: http://www.crossfitrebellion.com/eatthis/2011/05/eggplant-lasagna.html

Just realized I didn't actually post my starting stats... will do that in a bit, need to do some ironing now. :)

Awesome start! I hope you live in an area where it's not too cold for biking this time of year - bundle up!

On your comment about an almond allergy - are you allergic to Niacin (Vitamin B3)?

Just did a quick Google search and found this paragraph on foods that naturally contain Niacin:

According to www.bitelog.com, 1oz of almonds (about 23 whole kernels) contains just under 1mg of Niacin, about 5% recommended daily value. Do you know how many almonds you usually eat before you notice the flushed skin? Is there any itching/swelling in your skin/throat?

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but food allergies are definitely something to take seriously. Hope you're not allergic - almonds are so delicious! :)

P.S. Glad to hear your girlfriend is doing Paleo with you :)

I don't think I am allergic to almonds or niacin, but it makes since, because i do feel that niacin tingle after I eat them. I've always turn very red when i supplement niacin though. Maybe I am allergic to them, which would be surprising and more than a little annoying if I am. I just discovered almond butter, I don't want to loose it.

Yeah I'm glad she's doing this too.

OH yeah quick report. Been doing good so far, but I need to cut out more sugar. So I'm dropping the sweet potatoes and as much of the fruit as I can bear, specifically bananas. I don't need the extra sugar and its making it harder to loose weight. Also I'm sure that I'm over eating my almond butter and meats. So for the next few weeks vegetables w/ medium ammounts of meat are going to be in the forefront.

As far as exercise is concerned haven't had anything set in stone, just do the occassional thing.

Update: down to 252.5lb as of today at the gym. So about 7lb loss in a 9 days. So far i'm liking the workout i helped make on here and enjoying trying to make new meals. Today's lunch was 98% lean ground chicken with roasted red pepper and onion flakes with a bunch of salsa. It was really good but should have made it spicier! Workout this morning lagged big because of the amount of benchpress hogs at my gym plus the guys hogging the squat racks because our chinup bars are attached to them. Normally have been able to do an awesome circuit routine of first and upper body and then a lower body while the other rested. That failed today. Had to just finish a set, wait 60 sec and go again. Numbers suck a lot but just means i get to improve on them next time. I do notice that since skipping all machines and doing free weights only i am a lot more sore and that makes me happy. Just trying to work off the gut as fast as possible.

Okay, so I realized yesterday I hadn't actually put my starting info up. So here goes.

I've been working on getting healthier for about 6 months now - started over the summer at about 160 lbs. I've found a lot more success in eliminating certain foods from my diet altogether than allowing myself to have what I like but counting calories, so Paleo seems like the next logical step. I've also gotten into lifting weights quite a bit, and it sounds like a lot of people have success combining that with eating Paleo.

- Personal goals you'll be working towards

I'd like to lower my dress size to a UK 8 (US 6). I think getting to my goal in terms of size there is going to require losing at least another 10 pounds, but I've found size to be a much better measure of progress and fitness than weight. Since I started I've dropped from a 14-16 to a 10-12... usually 10, depends on the brand! But yeah, given the muscle I'm building and fat I'm losing, I think my goal is to settle at around a size 8. Which kind of sucks because changing my wardrobe as I go is costing me a fortune, heh.

- Starting stats (for example: gender, age, height, weight, bodyfat %, measurements, etc.)

Female, 23 years old (well, I will be by the end of the month).

5'3", or 160 cm.

144 lbs / 65.3 kg

Last time I checked, my BF% was hovering right on the edge between healthy and overweight. But that was pre-Christmas!

- "Before" pics (optional, but encouraged)

Here's a picture from last night... incredibly unflattering, now that I look at it... need to be more careful what trousers I wear that sweater with. Just to make me feel better, I'm going to post one from post-lifting at the gym a while ago, too. ;)

I've been going strong on the Paleo diet despite a day of total mess ups, but in my defense, I had gone almost a full 48 hours without sleep and needed something. The damage wasn't too bad. I really don't want to give up sweet potatoes and bananas. Ever. But I'm reading alot about how they can prevent me from losing weight. I plan on buying a scale this weekend along with a tape measure, and if I don't see any progress this week, I will cut them out. I'm refusing to give up my coffee though. I need that caffeine kick in the morning. Did try the adding cinnamon trick and it helps quite a bit with the bitterness. Slowly phasing out creamer. Also trying to slowly quit smoking. My goal is to be down to two a day by the end of the challenge. The bread and rest of the sugar hasn't been too hard to give up though I do get some serious cravings, and not for sweets, but for Mexican and Jamaican food.

Wake Your Dreams...

I don't think I am allergic to almonds or niacin, but it makes since, because i do feel that niacin tingle after I eat them. I've always turn very red when i supplement niacin though. Maybe I am allergic to them, which would be surprising and more than a little annoying if I am. I just discovered almond butter, I don't want to loose it.

Yeah I'm glad she's doing this too.

OH yeah quick report. Been doing good so far, but I need to cut out more sugar. So I'm dropping the sweet potatoes and as much of the fruit as I can bear, specifically bananas. I don't need the extra sugar and its making it harder to loose weight. Also I'm sure that I'm over eating my almond butter and meats. So for the next few weeks vegetables w/ medium ammounts of meat are going to be in the forefront.

As far as exercise is concerned haven't had anything set in stone, just do the occassional thing.

You could get tested by an allergist. It could be a mild allergy, but something still to be aware of. Some medications contain niacin, so be careful and read labels. You could always try cashew butter (not sure about niacin content).

GreenEyesBright - My first month of paleo I lost 13 lbs even with a steady supply of sweet potatoes and bananas. I'm losing this month even tho I'm still including them. I have a banana every day, sweet potato or even a regular potato on heavy workout days. I have a feeling it will be one of those "everyone's body reacts differently" things.

Side note: Costco has these Dry Roasted Macadamia nuts right now... just the nuts an sea salt. My god are they amazing. They almost taste like crunchy parmesan cheese balls for some reason.

Tiffany -Elven Ranger & Derby Girl
STR 7 | DEX 5 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3
@moxie_hart. Tumblr. Fitocracy

Update: down to 252.5lb as of today at the gym. So about 7lb loss in a 9 days. ...

Just trying to work off the gut as fast as possible.

Fantastic progress! Don't push yourself too hard on the weight loss, you want your behaviors and lifestyle to change in tandem with the weight loss so you're able to maintain it long term :) Keep up the great work!

Finding much more of a rhythm now on my 6th official day. Waking up fresh too which is a nice side-effect.

And am going to plan meals for the weekend to avoid getting stuck.

Awesome :) I've noticed that I'm waking up feeling much more refreshed and energized than I was before. Today was the first time I overslept in weeks! Do you use any sort of application or website to help plan your meals?

Okay, so I realized yesterday I hadn't actually put my starting info up. So here goes.

I've been working on getting healthier for about 6 months now - started over the summer at about 160 lbs. I've found a lot more success in eliminating certain foods from my diet altogether than allowing myself to have what I like but counting calories, so Paleo seems like the next logical step. I've also gotten into lifting weights quite a bit, and it sounds like a lot of people have success combining that with eating Paleo.

Thanks for posting! Looks like you've made some great progress so far - Congrats!!

I've been going strong on the Paleo diet despite a day of total mess ups, but in my defense, I had gone almost a full 48 hours without sleep and needed something. The damage wasn't too bad. I really don't want to give up sweet potatoes and bananas. Ever. But I'm reading alot about how they can prevent me from losing weight. I plan on buying a scale this weekend along with a tape measure, and if I don't see any progress this week, I will cut them out. I'm refusing to give up my coffee though. I need that caffeine kick in the morning. Did try the adding cinnamon trick and it helps quite a bit with the bitterness. Slowly phasing out creamer. Also trying to slowly quit smoking. My goal is to be down to two a day by the end of the challenge. The bread and rest of the sugar hasn't been too hard to give up though I do get some serious cravings, and not for sweets, but for Mexican and Jamaican food.

I'm so glad you're working on quitting smoking - what a great decision for your health!! Is there a reason for the lack of sleep? That's a great idea to use cinammon in black coffee, I'll definitely have to try that out since cutting out sweetener and creamer is really hard. I've gotten weird cravings too, specifically for Asian food and cookies. Sounds like you're doing a great job!