The 30-Day Paleo Challenge Extravaganza!! (all the cool kids are doing it!)

Okay everyone - we're over halfway through with this challenge!!!

Check-in tiiiiiiiiime! How's everyone doing? How do you feel?

I know many of us have talked about doing Paleo in conjunction with the first 6-week challenge, including myself - do you feel that Paleo is helping you reach your personal goals? Why/Why not?

Looking back: So far, has it been harder/easier to stick to Paleo than you thought it'd be?

Looking forward: Is Paleo something you'd consider doing long-term? For LIFE?? Do you never want to hear the word "Paleo" again???

All of you are doing fantastic!!!!! Keep up the amazing work - 13 days to go!!

As always, feel free to PM me at any time with questions/concerns/just a "hey there, how's your mama an' 'em?"

WE CAN DO THIS! *flexes newly discovered biceps*

Yay i have my internet back in a way that is useful!! I was down completely two days, and the next two it was impossible to do anything other than work stuff at any given moment.

You are right we are half way through!!!

I am feeling really good about my diet! I have been making good choices all over the place. Went out to perkins with BF and the girls and had the tilapia, broccoli and yes the sweet potato fries. Everyone else got pie, me, I just stole a bite from each of them and called it good. There are some days when my carbs end up a little high, but over all I am doing well at keeping them below the 100g mark.

Exercise is still my struggle. Though this week has been much better. A friend of mine offered to get me a gym membership so I have been doing the 'free trial week' to see if I even like it. And OMG I do. Its a 24 hr place so I can go in after the girls are in bed. It gets me OUT of the house for a while (I work from home so this is a BIG deal) and the place is pretty quiet. My mom was all "are you sure you want to be down there that late at night?" but it is literally 2 doors up from the police station and the entrance is keyed so only members can get in after staff hours. I will have all of my work outs done this week! I have been putting in 15 minutes on the elliptical at the start and then 10 more at the end and then doing the RFG work outs in between. They have a good selection of free weights (dumbbells and barbells both) and more machine then I can imagine what they could possibly do.

I feel really good about where I am at. I am down somewhere between 8 and 10 lbs (weight is stoopid) and my body fat measurements say that most of that weight was fat! woo hoo!

The life goals have been suffering. Not getting much jewelry or website work done. Website because of internet issues, we have actually been having problems since Christmas break, just didn't realize how bad it was, and the other I have no excuse. Got to kick it into high gear for the next couple of weeks to meet my piece goals at least.

So that is where I'm at :D

I am my own evil twin!

~~ Paleo Challenge! ~~ Blog ~~

Did my first every HIIT session today. Holy sweet mother of God, I think I over did it a bit. I tried to do six 45 second sprinting intervals with 1:30 jogging intervals, but I could only do four of them. I just could not get another one in and the cooldown was somewhat hard to get through, felt like I was going to toss my cookies the entire time. In other news, I weighed in today. At not quite three weeks of paleo eating I am down 9lbs. Not too shabby.

I'm so glad to hear everyone is doing so well on Paleo and that you're all seeing and feeling progress!!

I just went to the doctor this morning for a check up and I seem to be doing quite well myself. I'm down 20lbs since August, 12 since October, and my blood pressure has gone down to 126/80! I'm getting my Vitamin D and Iron checked, and if they're low (which I suspect they may be since I've been so tired and have been getting restless legs again) I may have to adjust my diet a bit (more leafy greens!) and take a supplement.

Who is going to go beyond the 30 days with Paleo? I'm considering having one cheat day, then going another 30 days. There's a lot I'm noticing has non-Paleo ingredients in it (freakin' canned tuna has soy in it!), so there's quite a bit of tweaking I could stand to do. Plus, it's not like it's hurting me, lol.

I'm so glad to hear everyone is doing so well on Paleo and that you're all seeing and feeling progress!!

I just went to the doctor this morning for a check up and I seem to be doing quite well myself. I'm down 20lbs since August, 12 since October, and my blood pressure has gone down to 126/80! I'm getting my Vitamin D and Iron checked, and if they're low (which I suspect they may be since I've been so tired and have been getting restless legs again) I may have to adjust my diet a bit (more leafy greens!) and take a supplement.

Who is going to go beyond the 30 days with Paleo? I'm considering having one cheat day, then going another 30 days. There's a lot I'm noticing has non-Paleo ingredients in it (freakin' canned tuna has soy in it!), so there's quite a bit of tweaking I could stand to do. Plus, it's not like it's hurting me, lol.

I am planning on keeping going through the end of the current challenge and then beyond. I find that now that I am in the habit of eating this way its not a huge challenge to get it done. Obviously its working well for me, so why change it? Though I may be not quite as religious. I may have one or two servings of milk products a week, depending on how I tolerate it. Especially since the midget will get her feelings seriously hurt if I don't have some of her ice cream when she makes it. We're using spelnda instead of sugar (boohiss I know) but it helps (my mom is diabetic) The awesome thing is that it makes just enough ice cream for everyone to have a bowl and to have two bowls left over to share with friends and then its gone! So its not sitting in my freezer calling my name. I'm thinking we'll send some to my ex's house when they go over this weekend. Seems fair :P maybe I won't warn them about the splenda... to much of that causes an emergancy evacuation of your bowels... nah, thats just mean... funny, but mean.

I am my own evil twin!

Hahaha! Okay, I'm normally not the vengeful/spiteful type, but that is kinda funny :P Sounds like you've got a great plan going - do you intend to keep blogging as you transition?

As of now I'm almost to the point of counting down the days/hours until I can have my "rest days" from Paleo. I'm kinda making a running list of all the things I'm going to try - I'm thinking of treating myself to a dinner at my favorite hibachi restaurant and getting some sushi as well. Then I'll have some ice cream. I'll probably just have a little bit of steamed rice, even though the fried rice is just SO good. I don't want to overdo the treating though, because as soon as it's over I'm doing another 30 days of Paleo, slowing tweaking my diet. I'm also going to be researcing local co-ops, farmers markets and farms to try and start buying more seasonal, locally grown produce. I'm also going to be looking into a nearby farm where I can get a quarter to half a grass fed cow (if it's more than a quarter, I'll be trying to get my dad to go in with me).

Things have been great. I feel good. I think I'm technically done with my 30 days today, but I'm going to be sticking to this. I also just this week hopped into Intermittent Fasting. Its been good. Should be easier to track my food now.

As for life goals I've been getting things done, but mostly just putting things in order.

But I feel better more.... emotionally grounded I guess.

Things are headed in a good direction and have been headed there for a while.

Getting my Vitamin D (10,000 IDUs) per pill bottle soon. Need to get new fish oil. So I'll be supplementing that soon.

But my exercise has been suffering. I really only bike to work and haven't done enough PT. I need to get a car too and that's been stressful.

EDIT: Also I don't post on my blog here often enough.

TWO DAYS LEFT!

As we approach the end of our 30-day challenge, I'd like each of you to name something you learned over the past month. In the coming days I'd like you to post your ending stats! YAY!

What I've learned:

- I have a lot more willpower than I thought I did, and that's given me fantastic motivation to continue with Paleo

- Fresh food, and food made from scratch, is way more delicious than processed

- I can go a full month without any fast food

- I love experimenting in the kitchen

- ALWAYS CHECK THE LABELS (those corn and soy byproducts are sneaky)

I am going to continue forward with a primarily paleo lifestyle. I think I will tweak just a little bit. I didn't make it 100% through the challenge due to a new ice cream machine and a trip to Madison where I went totally off plan. Oh yeah, and green beans aren't paleo :(

What I have learned:

1. it is way easier for me to say "I'm NOT going to eat something" than it is for me to try to limit the servings I have. This has worked out GREAT in terms of me cutting out the grains added sugars etc. This right here is responsible for the major clean up of my diet. I can go out to eat and just know I am not going to eat the bread. Cuz honestly perkin's rolls aren't worth messing myself up with, cheddar bay biscuits are another story though (Damn you Red Lobster!!!!) and frankly when I have really wanted something I stole a bite from the BF or the girls and called it good.

2. I am a creature of habit. It took me a little while to figure out what I wanted most often for my meals, but once I did that is what I ate. I need to get more adventurous and do some more trying of new things, but for now not having to spend a lot of time figuring out what I want for breakfast is a good thing.

I am my own evil twin!

*crowd roars* WE DID IT! WE MADE THE 30 DAYS!

Everyone post your finishing stats!

Here are mine:

Weight: 219.8lbs

Total lost: 10.2lbs

Bodyfat: 35.7%

Total lost: 2.3%

RyanSannar made a great suggestion to me the other day. I'd like all of you to post your upcoming goals. Think farther in the future, but start small. Don't be afraid to push yourselves!

Goals in next 6 weeks

Goals in next 3 months

Goals in next 6 months

Where do you see yourself in a year? Where do you WANT to see yourself in a year?

Thanks bigm and ETF!! I really appreciate the kind words and kudos!!

I was actually thinking about going to Sakura, my favorite hibachi restaurant. But I'm sure I could find a hibachi place at Disney World, so why not both?? But seriously, next I'll be working on fine tuning the diet since I learned a lot this first month. I've got a few cheat days coming up, spread out over the next two months, so I'm hoping that will encourage me to stay even stricter. I'm also considering keeping track of my macros. This month was more diet focused, the coming months will be maintaining that diet and focusing more on fitness/training for the Warrior Dash.

I'm so proud of everyone who tried the 30-day challenge!!

Alrighty everyone,

Do any of you feel maybe a bit confused or lost after your 30 days? Not quite sure where to go from here?

Check out this GREAT article I found on www.robbwolf.com that gives some really good advice on handling those days following the challenge. Enjoy!

Cross-posted to my blog, and will be posted in the Paleo forum.