Competition Preparation? (bodybuilding/fitness/powerlifting)

Howdy, guys. One of my long term goals is to compete in a bodybuilding/fitness/powerlifting competition. I'm no where near ready to compete, and I'm not sure which type of competition yet, but I am looking into it. After doing research online, I'm left with some questions. Hopefully someone here can help.

QUESTIONS:

1. Has anyone competed in one of these?

2. Do I need a trainer or manager?

3. Do I have to qualify, or can I just sign up for a competition?

4. How do I know which type (bodybuilding, fitness, & powerlifting) is right for me? Anything in particular I should know before deciding which to pursue?

5. Any other suggestions or advice?

Thanks!!

~Mel ••• Starbuck is my hero •••

30-Day Paleo Challenge Extravaganza!! ~~ Mel's Workout Log ~~ Online Measurements ~~ Online Weight Log ~~ twitter

Howdy, guys. One of my long term goals is to compete in a bodybuilding/fitness/powerlifting competition. I'm no where near ready to compete, and I'm not sure which type of competition yet, but I am looking into it. After doing research online, I'm left with some questions. Hopefully someone here can help.

QUESTIONS:

1. Has anyone competed in one of these?

2. Do I need a trainer or manager?

3. Do I have to qualify, or can I just sign up for a competition?

4. How do I know which type (bodybuilding, fitness, & powerlifting) is right for me? Anything in particular I should know before deciding which to pursue?

5. Any other suggestions or advice?

Thanks!!

Well, those three are all completely different things.

Bodybuilding competitions focus on aesthetics.

Fitness is aesthetics and then usually a fitness "routine"

Powerlifting is three lifts - how much you can lift - so deadlift, squat, and bench press.

There are also a million other types of competitions - oly lifting, strongman, crossfit - etc.

The answers to the rest are completely different based on which one you're interested in.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Part of the fun is finding out answers to all these questions while going through the process, meeting good people and making the road there a fun part of your life. I would encourage you to get out there and talk to people who are engaged in things you are interested in.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Guest Carjack

Bodybuilding requires a pre-competition weight cut so you'll be at your leanest and most muscular. You should also practice posing and maybe Maxalding/muscle control.

It takes years to be a good bodybuilder and you'll need to study classic bodybuilding books. Everyone recommends Arnold's Encyclopedia.

Powerlifting requires you be good at powerlifting, peak your strength on the day of the competition and maybe cut weight prior to weigh-in if you're in a weight class. Should be easy for female lifters to get into and get a good score, so you don't need a trainer, just a lot of hard work at lifting things.

Here's an example: http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2011/12/hooliganism-spreads-like-herpes-first.html

Fitness competitors do things like the splits, one arm push ups, hand balancing, etc.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/alissa2.htm this is a good start and you should use the old York Handbalancing courses too. Do fitness competition if you're creative with "difficult" movements.