NF Star Wars Fans (Force Awakens spoilers inside)

Saw the original int he theater when it came out, so yeah, you could say I'm a fan.  Love the three originals, hated the three pre-quels. I have the DVD set of the original trilogy which contains both the original theatrical releases and the "updated" versions, I've still not watched the updated ones.  

• Like 3

I came into it a bit late so I'm actually a fan of the prequels :)

I'm so excited because I actually get the chance to see a Star Wars movie in theaters. I thought that I would never be able to achieve such an amazing thing. 

Favorite Star Wars book you've ever read?

Mine is the Matthew Stover version of Revenge of the Sith. Jeeze, that man can write. That's the book I go to when I need Jedi inspiration, weirdly enough. It's fantastic.

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Hi Jedi!  The more I've read of the Star Wars universe the more I appreciate the prequels.  I'm still not a huge fan of the movies, but definitely the story.  There have been so many good books, but the one I think is my favorite is Darth Plagueis by James Luceno.  It's a great read to understand some history and it's as much about Palpatine / Sidious as it is about Plagueis.  Even though it's not canon, I highly recommend it.  Plus I'm a bit obsessed with Sith lore - so it was right up my alley.  

Glad to have another Star Wars fan out there.  Can't wait to discuss the new movie with everyone in...107 days, 3 hours and 53 minutes!

• Like 2

Three Two Seven

Irving, TX

Hi Jedi!  The more I've read of the Star Wars universe the more I appreciate the prequels.  I'm still not a huge fan of the movies, but definitely the story.  There have been so many good books, but the one I think is my favorite is Darth Plagueis by James Luceno.  It's a great read to understand some history and it's as much about Palpatine / Sidious as it is about Plagueis.  Even though it's not canon, I highly recommend it.  Plus I'm a bit obsessed with Sith lore - so it was right up my alley.  

Glad to have another Star Wars fan out there.  Can't wait to discuss the new movie with everyone in...107 days, 3 hours and 53 minutes!

That's one of the ones I've read too :) I prefer Jedi lore really, but Sith lore is fascinating too. The most recent series chronologically (the one that starts with Outcast) has a decent amount of Sith lore as well!

And YESSS. I am thrilled :D

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Saw the original three in theaters as a kid and have been in love with the universe since the first crawl of episode IV. I can live with Eps II and III, but pretend that I never happened. Absolutely cannot wait for The Force Awakens. 

I haven't read a lot of the books recently, but my favorite from back in the day is Splinter of the Mind's Eye. 

• Like 2

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man

I was born in 80 so grew up with the original Trilogy on VHS.  The new Trilogy wasn't as good but I can't say I hated them if I have watched them over and over.  Hell, I might even put Revenge up with Return... Effing Ewoks man.

I read a lot of the books in high School and undergrad but that's been too many years to remember any names.

• Like 1

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

What does everyone think of all the new toys that have been released for Force Friday?

I need this in my life, even if the movie sucks..

http://toyland.gizmodo.com/sphero-bb-8-review-this-is-the-coolest-star-wars-toy-e-1727067215?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

• Like 1

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

What does everyone think of all the new toys that have been released for Force Friday?

I need this in my life, even if the movie sucks..

http://toyland.gizmodo.com/sphero-bb-8-review-this-is-the-coolest-star-wars-toy-e-1727067215?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

I want twelve.

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

I'm not big on reading, at least not since middle school, so I haven't read any Star Wars books. I really like the Star Wars video games though, I've played Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Battlefront 2, and the Jedi Knight series of games for GameCube. I don't think I'm going to play the upcoming Battlefront game unless it comes out on PC though and I snag it on sale.

Mad Max Fury Road brought me back to the theater for the first time since high school, and I'm pretty sure Star Wars VII The Force Awakens will too. This year has been pretty good for movies.

Level 7 Ranger

STR 19 | STA 16 | DEX 17 | CON 10 | WIS 8 | CHA 8

Battle Log | Previous Challenge | Progress Photos

I've played Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Battlefront 2, and the Jedi Knight series of games for GameCube. I don't think I'm going to play the upcoming Battlefront game unless it comes out on PC though and I snag it on sale.

I've played both Battlefront games, and I always wanted to play KOTR, but I couldn't ever find it anywhere. I kinda want the new Battlefront, but the problem is that I really REALLY can't afford a new console right now. Nonwithstanding a new game for said console

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Saw the origional trilogy in the theatres as a kid and love them to this day, did not really care for a lot in the prequels (Jar Jar, whiney Anakin, etc) but finally let my 6yo son watch them and almost every time I cringed about something he laughed out loud, so I have made my peace with the fact those movies were not made for me.  We are enjoying the Clone Wars on Netflix.  Looking forward to the new movies, already planning a opening night family outing.  I did not make it out last night for the toy release but did pick up a Kylo Ren lightsaber to add to my sons collection on Amazon today. 

I read a bunch of the novels, my favorite being the Timothy Zahn - Thrawn Trilogy and Thrawn Duology.

• Like 3

The Reel Godfather, level 5 Ranger STR 10|DEX 7|STA 12|CON 12|WIS 8|CHA 6 My Respawn story

I think it's funny how they released the toys months before the movie.  It's like Christmas creep.  sigh.

Someone should hack that BB-8 thing and make it into, I dunno, a delivery drone, or a roving boombox, or a battlebot or something.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Like some others here, I saw the original in 1977 when I was a kid. What people don't realize is that this was just before VCRs started to become popular, so at-home viewing wasn't even a consideration. But Star Wars continued to play at the theater for months. I think for a year every birthday party I attended included a visit to the theater to see Star Wars followed by cake and ice cream. And it never got old. When Phantom Menace came out in 1999 I actually took the day off to go see the movie and was pretty disappointed. It was cool to visit that universe again, but it sure would have been nice to have a stronger story. I still haven't seen Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith, though I might one day. I'm very much looking forward to Force Awakens. J.J. Abrams knows how to tell an exciting story, and I fully expect his love of the original Star Wars trilogy to shine through.

Lou186000
Battle Log: Battling at the Speed of Lou

aaaa42%

I enjoyed the prequels, they were decent popcorn flicks for me. Jar Jar Binks and emo Anakin amongst other things were a "so bad its good/funny" deal in my eyes. Revenge of the Sith was probably the best of the prequels overall, because it cut out a lot of the issues people had with the first two films, and we saw how Anakin became Vader.

P.S. Lou, man, your weight loss progress bar needs to chill out, okay? I mean congrats but the page doesn't know how to handle it lol. Also the other ones are doubled.

Level 7 Ranger

STR 19 | STA 16 | DEX 17 | CON 10 | WIS 8 | CHA 8

Battle Log | Previous Challenge | Progress Photos

Hey guys!  Just got back to Dallas after vacation.  Good to still see the thread going.  So who bought what?  I didn't get any Force Friday toys, but I did get a Darth Vader gargoyle  at the National Cathedral.  And on the fitness front, I managed to maintain my weight while I was on vacation.  I'm pretty proud of that.  

What are your thoughts on the Knights of Ren?  Did they exist during the original trilogies and we just didn't know about them?  Did they form after Vader's death?  Did Vader have a holocron that we weren't aware of and they found it and are learning from him?  Any thoughts?

Three Two Seven

Irving, TX

Hey guys!  Just got back to Dallas after vacation.  Good to still see the thread going.  So who bought what?  I didn't get any Force Friday toys, but I did get a Darth Vader gargoyle  at the National Cathedral.  And on the fitness front, I managed to maintain my weight while I was on vacation.  I'm pretty proud of that.  

What are your thoughts on the Knights of Ren?  Did they exist during the original trilogies and we just didn't know about them?  Did they form after Vader's death?  Did Vader have a holocron that we weren't aware of and they found it and are learning from him?  Any thoughts?

I'm probably most interested in the Knights of Ren, I have a feeling Kylo Ren is going to become one of my favourite characters ever. I have a couple of half formed theory's on how they started but I kind of don't want to think about it too much, I want to go into the film as fresh as possible. Although I will be reading Star Wars: Aftermath next week which may or may not give any information on them.

On the toy front, I haven't bought anything, yet. I plan to pick up a BB-8 (or three) for my Astromech Droid collection (is BB-8 even technically an Astromech?) but I'll probably wait until after the movie is released to get anything else. Maybe. Probably not. 

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

Star wars fan checking in.  I was raised on Star Wars and am very excited for TFA, though it did take me some time to come around to the idea.  Not so much because it was a new movie, as because J.J. is directing.  I'm fine with his style, but was a bit worried about it feeling more like the new Star Trek films with Star Wars characters.  We will see.  What we have looks pretty great though, so my hope has been renewed.

I can't afford a BB-8, but I really want one of those Pop! Captain Phasma figures for my desk.  She can sit right next to my Boba.

• Like 1

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

I saw ANH in theaters when I was 7 and have the OT on VHS still.  I can't freaking wait for TFA to come out and have just started Aftermath.  I am totally building a BB-8 once I am done with my next astromech build.

28%
28%

Main Quest: from 256 lbs. to 200 lbs.

Current weight 256 lbs. on 9/9

Current weight 242 on 12/30

Beskar'ad the level 1 Assassin