Is it really intermittent fasting if...

Cienfuegos

Hey folks!

I have a quick question. Some background though: I'm a large guy and I don't eat as well as I should. I know that IF should really only be done if you have your diet dialed in and sleep under control and stress at a minimum...but I tend to eat my last meal around 8-9pm and my first meal around 8-9AM.

So my question...is that still considered IF and if so is it hurting me more than helping? What should I do differently? Eat some jerky in the middle of the night?

"I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was. I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest. "- Muhammad Ali

Only in the very technical sense that you are fasting for a twelve hour period.  I promise it's neither hurting nor helping you in any way.  IF is best served as a tool to control how much you eat.  The other benefits are probably marginal, at best.  I really enjoy using IF when I'm cutting because under normal conditions I can and will eat anything and everything.

• Like 4

I think IF can be used regardless of whether you have diet/sleep/stress dialled in, they are totally independent. 

The main benefit i get out of IF is that i feel more satisfied with big meals. Skipping breakfast allows me to load up at lunch (which is when i workout). I also gained a lot mentally relating to food/hunger from doing the longer 24hr fasts (currently i do something that approximates 16:8)

I've heard of IF making it hard for some people to lose weight. Something with adding stress to the body...and adding stress increases the amount of fat your body holds on to. So if I ate more I wouldn't be fasting as long. If I'm not fasting as long I'd increase fat loss. Thus the reason for my question

"I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was. I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest. "- Muhammad Ali

Order of operations for fat loss:

Calories In/Calories Out > Macronutrient Composition > Exercise > Nutrient Timing (IF falls under this)

Fix CICO, then get your macros in check, then start working out, and if and only if those other things are done then you can worry about whether or not IF is helping/harming.  Good luck!

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Exactly. I had read/heard/figured that @embracingchaos. But one of my original questions was:

Is what I'm doing every single day actually considered IF for me...and if so do I need to stop it? If it's not, what would be considered IF for someone like me?

1) Realistically no, though technically it meets the 'definition'

2) no

3) once you skip breakfast until lunch or skip dinner until breakfast (roughly 14+ hours is where I'd subjectively call it IF)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101