Hello everyone!

066_cute_cat_gifs.gif

Many assassins will know me, because I have partaken in quite a few of their challenges. I haven't finished them all, and sometimes the 6 week challenges are hard for me to keep up. Which is why I want to try out a battlelog. When I'm not here, I miss you guys. But the challenges can give me a bit too much pressure. I still hope that I will once in a while participate in challenges, but for now a battlelog it is! Meow!

What I will do in my battlelogs: Every Sunday/Monday I will give a summary of the previous week. The summary consists of all the activity I did (workouts, stretching, play time).

It MAY contain how much fruit/vegetables I ate, I will try out how that works for me. Logging my food can get me back into obsessing too much about food and I don't want that. But I will just try to figure out what works for me!

I am very happy to be back even though it's not in a challenge as per usual <3

angry-writer-cat.jpg

Oh, and in case you guys wanted to know what inspired me to come back RIGHT NOW as opposed to every other time…. Two days ago I went poledancing with a friend. And all you crazy assassin friends that are into pole, or aerial, or circus… I get it. It finally COMPLETELY clicked. Playtime. It was SUCH fun!

partycat-partytime-med.jpg

I need playtime. I need to make my body a hobby, do fun things..! I did a standard spin around the pole that I don't know the name of, and the fireman spin, and I even went upside down in what I think is the standard inversion, just kick your legs up basically. In the end I dared letting go of one hand even, and I was probably firmly enough in position to release the second but I didn't dare.

But it was HUGE for me. Before the lesson I thought there was possibly no way that I would dare going upside down. But I talked to my friend (not about that concern per se) and she said the first thing that really helped her in poledancing was just DOING it not being scared because it really stagnates your progress.

And I'm usually a wuss, but I decided not to be a wuss that day. Did I already mention how much I loved it?! It was SO MUCH FUN!

I'm going to Paris, so I don't have the money and also there's no point starting lessons when I'll be leaving in a few months anyway… But when I get back I might have to get pole lessons!

REirvkO.gif

One day right? :P

• Like 3

Ah Lilith - I wondered where you'd been hiding :o Good to see you're back with enthusiasm again! Last time I heard you had just reached your first deadlift plateau (at an impressively heavy lift) - are you still weightlifting?

Pole seems a really good way to do fun strength training - the girl in that gif is doing a controlled back lever negative despite the pole being in the way of her shoulders, and I tell you that any kind of back lever is super difficult :o That's one pole skills that's a lot harder than it looks!

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

I am definitely still weightlifting! It took a backburner for the last months of very intensive hiketraining for the Fjallraven Classic. Now, back from that (and having survived that) I am back to lifting up until I leave to Paris where I will have no opportunity to do so. All my lifts have been deloaded because of my break, and I do not see myself breaking my PR deadlifting before going to Paris. When I get back from Paris I plan to go back full into lifting and then I definitely want to show you guys MANY impressive lifts to come <3 

Yes that girl in the gif looks so controlled, it's what makes it pretty I think. Without the control it would look a proper mess. :P And yes I am really sore from poledancing, and I do weightlifting still so it definitely works your muscles. Also in a different way than weightlifting, you use many more stabilizing muscles I think. Not saying you don't use those on the big lifts but it's different. There won't be new poledancing updates from me til at least after Paris, which is like 10 months from now, but I am already considering buying a pole for when I get back from Paris. :P I love the idea of having a personal gym, I already have the powercage and everything for lifting... I'm just gonna keep building til I have the most epic homegym ever :D 

Haha, and then you'll have all of NerdFitness finding tenuous reasons why they have to come visit you - but really it will just be to check out your epic gym :P

And yes, pole uses slightly different muscles, but it also uses the muscles in a different way: weightlifting is "concentric" - which means that you are pushing in the direction of motion. Weightlifting also incolves some "eccentric" motion, which is in the opposite direction to motion (for example, lowering down into a squat... you're pushing up a bit but you're moving down) but you usually don't work hard in the eccentric phase so it doesn't have much effect. There's also "isometric", where you stay still while pushing (like holding a plank or L-sit).

Eccentric and isometric motions give much more DOMS than concentric ones, and build muscle faster (if you have adequate recovery) although they don't help your nervous system learn how to do the concentric motion (so you can't just get stronger for the squat by slowly failing lots of lifts lol).

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Thanks for explaining that! I really love knowing more about how these things work. So it is actually a good thing too, to do things like poledancing, or anything really that uses muscles in the eccentric and isometric way. Because the way I read it that would be a valuable addition to weightlifting! But if I build muscle faster by holding, maybe I should start pausing at the bottom of my squat :o And darn you for saying the perfect plan of just failing heavy lifts is not the optimal way to train. It sounded so perfect :D 

Lilith my dear! I've missed you! I loved your pole update so much, I'm so thrilled you had fun! What are you plans in Paris if you're not going to pole or lift? Climb? Bodyweight stuff? 

How was the Fjällräven hike? Tell us more! 

Yes the poledancing was epic! I definitely don't want that to be the end of the poledancing story. At the same time, it also makes me even more excited to try aerial silks, aerial hoop etc... Just all those awesome things I hear about around here, and that I thought "Oh I would be bad at it and I wouldn't dare" YES I DARE! 

In my head I'm dealing with focuses, before the hike the training focus was surviving that hike. Now my focus is weightlifting, until I go to Paris. Pack on as much muscle as I can. The focus in Paris, because I will be more limited in workout options, will be lose centimeters. I will be in a new environment, which I think will make adjusting eating habits a bit easier, because I have no established eating habits yet in Paris.

I will also be purchasing GMB, still looking at which programs I want. I want Elements, Vitamin and Floor One. If I complete Floor One I want Floor Two too, but that won't be happening during my stay there probably. (I prefer running the same program multiple times until I feel I am proficient, and the skills taught in those programs have a scare factor for me, as well as that I've never done such things so I won't pick it up super fast) So right now I'm still thinking what to buy first, I think I have money for two programs, even though I want to do them all but I'm not sure about the order. The order I stated them in might be the best, but I'm not sure. So if you, or anyone else that reads this, did those programs or knows anything about it that would be super welcome! 

Other than that I plan to do pilates, and just body weight strength training like squats and stuff... But I don't have a clear program for that because as a program I want to do GMB and I don't do very well on multiple programs, I like some freedom to play around too. I will not be bringing my hoops because in the appartment I won't have space for it :( 

I might start running a bit, in that case I want vibram five fingers even though I have old running shoes. So that's still a little question mark. 

Fjallraven_Schweden.jpg

Oh and the Fjallraven! Yes! First of all we saw many reindeer, on the road while driving (they stand on the road and they are NOT afraid, on the HIGHWAY) in the sami camp, which is the camp of the traditional reindeer herders, I actually got to feed and pet them there too. AND ALSO during the Fjallraven hike, in the actual proper wild. It was exhilarating! Oh and on the road there we slept at a farm, and in the morning I could help bottlefeed the lambs, because their mom could not produce milk. So cute!

Yes okay but the Fjallraven. It's a 110km trek through the very northern part of Sweden, well over the pole circle. There are checkpoints you have to go to, and at the checkpoints you can make a basecamp with many others, or you just camp wherever you want but then you are probably more alone. For now I only have the website photos but I made many videos I will ask my boyfriend to put a few on dropbox so I can show you guys! 

2015-07-21-02-07-051795001103.jpg

This is an image of the start, and because there are startgroups and within the startgroup you start at the same time, and you walk through a valley with little choice to go left or right, the first part is done like this, walking together. But after a few hours it already started to spread out, and the next day you'd be walking more on your own. The landscape is very vast though, so quite often you would see someone in the distance, or run into people as they are taking a break along the path. You see everyone has those orange patches, you had to wear those on your bags so the organization of the fjallraven knew you were part of the classic, and also because if you are in distress it is good to signal with. At the basecamps there are people from the fjallraven and also a nurse and stuff like that... I knew that beforehand. What I didn't know is that every startgroup also had a walking guide person, with a cute flag. They are super strong and amazing, they can hike it hopping on one leg probably, and they keep check of everyone in their group. Like after a day that guy was already like "oh good you made the checkpoint" so he already recognized our faces from seeing us on route. Really cool. They are very knowledgeable about the environment, and we actually saw one of them having to bring a girl with a broken arm to a helicopter. So good thing they were there. 

2015-07-21-02-07-431784861109.jpg

Sometimes there were wooden paths, which were a breeze, like a break to walk on. Really nice!

The paths, everywhere, were very rocky btw. We trained for distance, which was ok, but we didn't train for that so our knees and ankles had a tough time. And by that I mean, I had a tough time. It was so hard, physically, and therefore mentally... Like you gave yourself the goal 'today I want to reach this checkpoint' and then in pure distance that would be easy, but with the terrain you are so much slower than anticipated. And I started worrying we would not make it in 5 days (which we had to, max time) at all. And so I pushed and pushed and the first three days were just really gritting teeth getting through. Don't get me wrong there were plenty amazing moments and things but when I look back those three days were REALLY tough. The last two, my body seemed to have adapted. It thought, okay, this is what we are doing. There are stones. And I transformed into a proper mountain goat. It was glorious! Or it would be, but instead of picking up the pace, the last two days were really wrecking my boyfriend (who was doing considerably better than me the first three days) because one of his knees was really hurting from being overworked. 

Fjallraven23.jpg

Again, this is not me, but we did see this river (no we did not cross this one) and I remember just taking a break here, looking at the water. It is SO gorgeous!

Oh what I also wanted to say... The water... You drink it straight from streams, it is beautiful and perfect and pure and tastes much better than tap water. Whenever I heard it streaming I got thirsty because it was delicious! We also had to cross many streams, one was so big we had to go barefoot carrying our shoes (you don't want to risk getting your shoes wet if you have to walk on them all day still) and it is COLD! But it was awesome!

The trek is a mountain trek, so we also had to climb the Tjakta pass, which is really really tough climb (not actual climbing, you can still hike it but at some points it's so steep it feels like you would rather actually climb it :P ) Up there was the highest point of the Fjallraven, 1140meter! Very cold and windy there. Like bone chilling. 

pic85_big_1.jpg

The finish was such a relief btw, people applaud you as you make it and it just feels... Great. Because you made it. And of course you were tired. So then we ate some delicious food there, and just the whole atmosphere of all the hikers that made it is amazing. You see people that you saw while out there, and you feel like best friends, because you both went through it, because you both got through the same rain, chill, good moments, mosquitos (the north gives a different meaning to 'AS MANY MOSQUITOS AS YOU EVER SAW'. and we saw people too that were worried they wouldn't make it, and then you're like YAY YOU DID IT YES I DID IT TOO. And we bought some really nice fjallraven things (they had a stand there of course) and we got medals and oh our total time was 100 hours! During the hike, on the second day, I distinctly remember promising myself that I would NEVER EVER do something like this again. That this was it. That I hated hiking. That I hated feeling like I did then. I take it back. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I showed myself I was so much stronger than I ever believed. And it was SO beautiful there. I need to see all those beautiful places all around the world, I really do! 

DSC0412.jpg

• Like 3

You should do it. It's the perfect beginner thing to get into the real wilderness, because you're not alone so it's relatively safe. (if you go outside the Fjallraven, it's a lot less safe because you really are FAR away from any civilization) And it's just great fun too! At the basecamps you can be with other people around a big campfire, complain about the rocks and the mosquitos together.. Talk about where you come from. People from all over the world come there it's really cool. 

• Like 1

Part of that is going to be easy. I mean it will be hard. But I will have close to zero moneys. :P I am already paying my housing there with money that isn't mine so I have to be frugal! But I definitely want to try some chocolates and pastries ofc, but it will have to be little, and not often. 

So this is where you've been hiding!  :)

Yay for pole classes!  You obviously must try aerial now! I think you would love it. (And more pole, of course!)

I want to try pole sometime but we don't have that as available where I live but we happen to have an excellent circus gym, so yay for that at least!

That Fjallraven Classic looks AMAZING. I am experienced backpacker but even I think that looks like crazy fun, and it would be so awesome to experience a totally different climate from what I am used to with some help from experienced people (I do a LOT of desert-y hiking, which is obviously very very different from Sweden!)

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

Yes! I tend to go hiding I'm afraid. :( But I always come back, too! 

I would really love to try aerial too, not sure where I would find that. I didn't look for it yet, and I won't. Not until I come back from Paris I would just drive myself crazy drooling over things I can't do now :P 

I think you are really lucky for having an awesome circus gym! Maybe you can convince them to buy a pole and include pole lessons? /dreams

Wow desert hiking sounds very different indeed. What kind of tent setup do you use for that? Is it hard to carry all that water, or can you find places to refill along the way? You should try the Fjallraven Classic! 

Yeah lack of water is definitely the number one concern with desert hiking! You either have to bring a ton with you or know ahead if there are springs you are going to be able to get water from (and you definitely have to filter any water you find generally for safety purposes.) The places I love hiking and backpacking at there is barely any water by this time of the year and it is SO STUPIDLY HOT that I tend not to go there. In a few months we'll be in reasonable temperature ranges again! (Pretty much Fall, Winter, and Spring are good but summer is DEATH HOT AAAH.)

As for tent set up it can depend. Sometimes it is hot enough at night that you could really sleep outside with no issues and sometimes it is crazy windy which makes it cooooold with all the wind chill factor! Usually I find I like to sleep in the tent because bugs ewwwww, and then I just barely use a sleeping bag because it's too hot. (i've considered buying a sleeping bag liner, which is basically like bed sheet thickness, and just using that for during warm times of year....which is most the year here. Ah Southern California...)

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

Haha that is the opposite of what we did. I was snuggled deep in a sleeping bag, with merino pyjamas and in a bivi bag that reflects your heat back to you. :P 

But it must be very beautiful to hike where you do, the nature must be very different! 

Yesterday I had a big presentation. It was the final presentation for my internship I have been doing. I still need to finish the accompanying essay. However, I was so stressed out and scared.. I know I usually am but this time it was worse, because the feedback on the latest version of my essay was basically that it wasn't good enough. And the presentation is obviously based on the essay, or they are both based on the work I did but anyway they would use the same kind of information. So I really thought I would not be good enough. 

I had belly aches starting the night before even. :( And finished the presentation the morning before. Awk!

And then it went great, like really great! I got a top grade for it! 

vKPs2CR.giftumblr_lyr69rIgpD1qancemo1_250.gif

I'm so happy! Relieved it's done, and super happy it went well! There were a few important people in the room that were likewise impressed and even told me it was a very good presentation. Yay! 

So I didn't do any stretching, which wasn't a goal but it would have been good if I had done some stretching.. But the morning before I was stressed and after I was with a friend, which was also great!

• Like 1

Wow what amazing scenery in those pics. Looks like something my family would love to do. And yes that gif is awesome, I believe I would simply fall on my face lol.

<p><p>eedad's daily battle log ----> http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/70279-eedads-daily-log/Challenge #1 ----> http://rebellion.nerdfitnss.com/index.php?/topic/70983-eedads-first-challenge-1/Plank times, progress measured as workouts per week with final measure of time 12/12

100%
100%
Flexibility 24/24
100%
100%
Diet 38/42
90.4%
90.4%
Life goal = pass/fail<p>
100%
100%

Yes I fell in love with Northern Scandinavia and I definitely want to go back to Sweden, and also visit Norway and Finland! <3 

That just looks so awesome, quite the experience! WANT. How many days were you gone? Did you fly to sweden? How expensive was the whole trip? (Tell me EVERYTHING! haha.)

Welcome back! Glad you came back from hiding :) It's great you're still lifting! 

I'd start with Floor1 if I were you, it's the more complete program compared to the other options you listed. If you love it or are in need of some variation you could the get one of the others.

But there's also something to be said for finding some sort of class in paris, it'll help finding some social contacts... how long were you going again? 6 months?

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

That just looks so awesome, quite the experience! WANT. How many days were you gone? Did you fly to sweden? How expensive was the whole trip? (Tell me EVERYTHING! haha.)

I was gone for two weeks in total, and the Fjallraven took 5 days (well the last day was a half day). I want to do the Fjallraven again, possibly a few more times. Not next time immediately, but hey, nothing is impossible WE COULD DO IT TOGETHER! Okay so we flew to Stockholm and got a rental car. It was three of us, so me my boyfriend and his dad. His dad would be there for all the holiday part and would go to Norway on his own with the car when we were walking the epic hike of hikes! So from Stockholm we basically drove all the way up north to Kiruna, stopping at nice hostels and a beautiful farm and a cabin in the woods... It was great! I'm not sure how expensive the whole trip was, but I know the rental car and the fuel for the car were the most expensive things. Luckily we shared that between the three of us. We also went out to a nice restaurant one time, which was a bit expensive. And of course we had many cakes and cups of coffee and tea, and hot lunch wherever we could (like the ikea meatballs but MUCH BETTER OMG DROOL oh and not in an actual ikea :P) Going out to eat there is not expensive though, especially if you go for typical day lunches as hot meals and then eat something small in the evening. It's really nice in fact! 

Welcome back! Glad you came back from hiding  :) It's great you're still lifting! 

I'd start with Floor1 if I were you, it's the more complete program compared to the other options you listed. If you love it or are in need of some variation you could the get one of the others.

But there's also something to be said for finding some sort of class in paris, it'll help finding some social contacts... how long were you going again? 6 months?

But but... I think I can't do floor 1 straight off the bat. Maybe vitamin is gimmicky, but I think I need that basic course first. You think not? Why not? I agree doing a class of something would be fun, but I'm not sure I'll have to look around for good deals I suppose! The thing is, even though GMB is expensive, it's a payment just once instead of a monthly fee, which is how I justify purchasing a program. Hmmm. I'm so not sure about which GMB program now anymore though :o SAVE ME! 

Floor1! It IS basic. I swear you can do it. Elastigirl has done it, ask her what she thinks! It's just more all round and complete than vitamins is. Vitamins is like an appetizer and dessert, not a complete program.

The website for the hike is quite lacking, I can't even find basic info like when the next one is! Or is it just me?

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

You have convinced me not to try vitamin for now, but the other program, Elements, would be more the reason I want to not try Floor 1 first. https://gmb.io/e/ Any thoughts on that? I hope you don’t think I’m talking about it for too long, it’s just an important decision for me! And I will ask Elastigirl too yes definitely!

The next hike will again be in August, so next year.

http://www.fjallraven.com/fjallraven-classic/before-fjallraven-classic/application

This link shows when the application is, this is important, compare it to getting tickets for a popular concert. You need to be at home when it opens and clicking like mad on the website! By the way, when we tried the server couldn’t handle the load so that was a whole day of stress and checking whether the website was back on :P

On the side you can also see the preparations and packing list, those are important and basically everything to the left is nice to read through before you go. But I agree everything could have been made clearer. 

In other fun news, I got a present from my boyfriend. He says because I did so well on my presentation, but he got one for himself too so I think he was just waiting for an excuse to get them :P 

fitbit-chargegr_1.jpg

I have purple and he has the black one! It can measure your calories burned, steps taken (from what I've tested really accurately) stairs taken, sleep patterns and it's just great fun. Yesterday was the first full day I tried it and from now on I'll update my battle logs with calories burned and steps taken too. What I've noticed already is that the recommended goal of 10 000 steps is hard to make for me on a normal day. I sit and write my essay and read research articles.... So I made like half the steps yesterday. Ouch. Obviously if we would still have been training for the hike I would have owned that goal! But it's a good thing I notice this now, I have to incorporate little walks and ways to be more active during my work days for sure!

It's a fun new toy to play around with and it's already motivating me to move more!

giphy.gif

• Like 1