mightstone2k answers the call of the wild

Man!  I swear swear swear I clicked 'follow' and here I am not getting notified.   

That rig is sweet!  Way outta my current (post jedi uniform) budget.  But sweet!!

I shall have to make better effort to poke in here and follow follow follow!!!

I do have a thread up, but I've already failed outta this challenge this month.   Oof.   December is a d-bag, eh?

Tapatalk has been jacking up with notifications recently. At least it's not just me [emoji1] I saw the struggle. Meh; you get knocked down, you get up again, life goes on

3d5f821927eebc52e9e80b5bbe6effc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Twas the night before Christmas... at least, it is here, in the future.  Let's bring everything up to date, shall we?

Yesterday was our LT's promotion party + Caribbean Christmas potluck + white elephant exchange.  I started my morning by throwing a bunch of stuff in a crockpot to make curried beef, which turned out more watery than I'd hoped.  There was a better curry at the potluck, along with shepherd's pie, deviled eggs, lasagna, ham, a few different types of beans and salads, fish cakes, and, of course, desserts.  The real winner there was a chocolate torte; that is, a chocolate brownie with walnuts topped with a layer of chocolate mousse.  I was responsible for a third of that disappearing.  At the white elephant, I exchanged a used copy of Ghost Wars for a bottle of Suntory Old Whiskey.  That's a good trade.

After work, I hit the gym, got my hair buzzed off, and went for ramen at a shop near Akishima station that came highly recommended.  It was good; not as good as Don Quijote, but good.  Then I went to Showa Park for fireworks and a Christmas light display, followed by drinking at the Hub in Tachikawa.  Aspalls cider and Glenmorangie on top of ramen and torte and chocolate?  No regrets.  I got home at midnight and crashed hard.

Today was slow.  Gym, laundry, and an hour on FaceTime with Cassie is about all.  Trying to convince her that two weeks really isn't as long as it seems, while silently wishing we could be in the same place more often than once every couple months (I'll play the hand I'm dealt, but that doesn't mean I have to like everything about it).  It won't be long on my end; with the amount of work I need to do for my two courts in February, time will fly by and I'll get on the plane feeling like there's a mountain of stuff undone (there will be) no matter how much I accomplish.  Anyway, she's on her way to Phoenix to spend the weekend with the family that still thinks she's single (heh), so we're probably not hooking up again this weekend (no, not like that, you gutter-minded perv).

I've got oxtails in the crockpot for my very traditional Christmas curry (no, I've never done this before; hush) (pro tip:  slow-cook your oxtails in water to leach out the cartilage and make it super easy to strip the meat off the bone, do the stripping twelve hours later, then pile all the meat back in with the veggies and spices and stuff and slow cook all day; super tasty), I read at 09:00 Mass (which means I should probably make sure I have a presentable suit, because a polo and slacks probably isn't classy enough for Christmas), and I plan to go see Rogue One again tomorrow for the annual family Christmas movie.  I might even splurge and get popcorn at the theater; I hear Japanese popcorn is a gastronomic experience.  And that will end my rather un-festive, atypical Christmas weekend of lazing around my house playing with Legos (which I haven't touched yet today, but should).  Monday and Tuesday are a federal holiday and a special pass, respectively, which means I can get work done with no one bothering me and wearing civvies.  Maybe I'll really slum it and go to work in pjs.  Stupid courts, and stupid sense of responsibility, combining to eat my four-day weekends.

I'm not as snarky as that rambly verbal romp made it sound.  My brain-finger filter isn't hooked up today.  I want some coffee (decaf, natch, at this time of night).  My Christmas present from home hasn't come in.  Christmas is just weird when you're alone on the other side of the world.  I'd quite like to spend the holiday with Cassie and/or the fam, but... well, The Plan from Upstairs still hasn't been passed down the chain.  Need to know info, and I must not need to know.

I have a project in mind.  One that's not playing with Legos or picking things up and putting them down again.  Being published is kinda sorta super fucking helpful if you want to apply for an LL.M. on the Air Force's dime, and I kinda sorta really fucking want that (no filter; not angry).  Writing on NATO/SEATO or any other sort of international defense treaty sounds like it would be WAY over my head - albeit a fun topic - and I'd like to not blow my credibility by writing like a super idealistic five-year-old pretending to be an adult.  So I'm turning to my other legal passion:  constitutional law.  I'm thinking about a piece on the Second Amendment and knives.  I read an article on it three years ago (when I was in a hostel in Munich waiting for my hungover traveling companions to drag themselves out of bed, because of course every sane person reads law review articles for fun in those situations; duh), and it's a barely touched area.  So I need to reread that article, Shepardize it, and start looking at the state of the law.  Maybe there will be some really funky laws or court decisions out there on it.  I dunno what my niche will be on that topic; I just know it's a good starting place to try to find a niche.  A good starting place for me, given my professional interests and general irritation at the fact that I can't take my Swiss Army Knife on the plane with me despite it being simultaneously a super useful tool and a terrible weapon (seriously, that blade would fold back on my fingers before I was able to cause any real damage to another human being with it; but it is a great thing to open difficult packages with).

If any lawyers/law students read this, please don't steal my idea.  You would make me very, very sad.  And I would probably have to murder you.  Sadly.  It would not be sad that I murdered you, because you stole my idea and that is perfectly justified.  But I would do the murdering while being sad, because your stealing of my idea would make me sad.  And there would be nothing Sith in that at all.

I should probably sleep.  I did not do that enough last night.

Merry Christmas, y'all.  No, really, I meanses it, precioussssssssssssss.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Merry Christmas Might!   

401603_183411721755424_118958991534031_3

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

Your long post has me wanting oxtail now. I've kind of had a craving for a couple weeks. I think I'm going to make some this weekend if the store has some. I've never tried soaking my oxtail like you describe it's an interesting idea. I have always seared my then slow cooked them in the seared bits in the pan and red wine. I may have to try your approach. Sometimes mine's a little too savory, which I wouldn't think would be a thing but oxtail in a red wine reduction actually gets there.

I'm not a huge fan of how people tend to talk about the second amendment, primarily because I think that if you argue that you need to have guns, you should have to actually practice with them. I've literally never heard of anyone talk about knives in the context of the second amendment. I'm in no way a constitutional scholar but I think you have a neat idea there. 

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

I don't think you are even allowed to bring plastic knives on planes. Knives pertaining to the second ammendment would be an interesting topic. I've never head oxtail before. I may try that.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'm making oxtail converts! My curry turned out great, which makes a very consistent run of tasty results. If y'all try it, let me know how it turns out (and I may steal your recipe).

I'm not a huge fan of how people tend to talk about the second amendment, primarily because I think that if you argue that you need to have guns, you should have to actually practice with them. I've literally never heard of anyone talk about knives in the context of the second amendment. I'm in no way a constitutional scholar but I think you have a neat idea there. 

Yes. If one is going to argue about the subject - for or against - one should know how the thing works. Ignorance combined with passion breeds bad results. I printed the article from three years ago, so the next step is to read through it, start Shepardizing, and figure out what research space I want to fill.

Oh, and the Firefly is coming along nicely. I'm missing some pieces that stopped some assembly in its tracks, but I've marked those down and will send a bulk email to the seller once I've assembled everything I can. Catch all my missing stuff in one shot.

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Here in the future, it's New Year's Eve.  Looking back on 2016, it was a heck of a year.  My life took a very drastic shift from student to professional in 2016, as I finished my temporary gig as a teaching/research assistant and moved on to a real, adult job.  Here are the highlights of the year:

• I made it out of Oregon without killing anyone.  God love my boss/mentor/friend, but working for and living with him was a trial.  That was a particularly bad period in his life, so I'm not condemning him.  But there were days when murder wasn't far from my thoughts (I have a gallows sense of humor generally, but in this case, it's not much exaggeration).  I fell in love with Oregon while I was there, and I regret not switching my driver's license and voter's registration while I lived there.  The upshot of that is that Pennsylvania doesn't tax income earned whilst on federal active duty service out of the state, so I'm not complaining about the practical consequences.
  • This was the year I went from being a student to being a professional.  A real, practicing lawyer as opposed to just a law student or legal educator (sort of), and a military officer to boot.  I still remember day one of COT:  the cab ride to Maxwell, having the flight commanders start in with yelling at us (it served a purpose; attention to detail), and a very, very cathartic five weeks.  Then JASOC for JAG-specific training, then...
  • I moved to Japan this year.  Yeah... I moved to JAPAN this year?!  I still don't speak the language much, I spend most of my time in an American environment, but holy cow I moved to the Land of the Rising Sun.  And since getting here, I've been to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Kawagoe, Kamakura, and a bunch of mountains on the Kanto Plain.  I've become a far better international traveler, and even made it to the Republic of Korea within the past month.  Traveling to new countries isn't crazy to me anymore.  It's the new normal.  I don't know if I can put into words how mind-boggling this is.  Deep down, I'm still the kid who thought Erie, Pennsylvania was a decent-size city for me.  And now it's no big deal to fly from Tokyo to Seoul for a week and not be afraid of the unfamiliar culture.
  • I traveled.  A lot.  I left Oregon for a temporary home in Alabama in the second week of the year.  I moved about a third of the way through my time in Alabama (across the street, but still...).  I moved to Japan in mid-April.  And from Japan, I went back to Alabama, to Chicago/Missouri, to southern California/western Pennsylvania/Charlottesville, Virgina, and to South Korea.  That's four separate international trips in the eight months I've been here.  Jeebus.
  • I got my girl back!!  Persistence does pay off.  That is all that needs to be said on that score.

So that's 2016 in a nutshell.  But looking back is not enough.  One must look forward too.  So here are my goals for 2017:

• Seek order in chaos:  I am a list guy.  Thoughts come through my head and I put them in concrete form, whether it's a simple to-do list on scratch paper at work, an electronic note on my phone, or a recurring reminder that pings me every month to accomplish some task.  But there is still too much chaos to that method.  Too many lists, notes, or reminders in too many places.  I've tried keeping notebooks in the past, but that always turned into just another place to keep lists.  There was no organization within the blank notebooks I tried, and the pre-formatted planners didn't jive with my brain.  This year I came across the Bullet Journal; I think I snagged the link from The Most Loathed... who I just saw is a Dark Side Cookie Vendor.  Dude.  Cookies infused with the Dark Side.  *ahem*  back on track.  The combination of structure and freedom in the BuJo speaks to me, so I'm giving it a serious shot this year.  I just finished formatting it, in fact, in a journal that makes no secret of my allegiance.  My goal is to give it a solid year: use collections instead of notes on my phone to keep all my ideas in one place, on paper.  Keep my daily to-do lists in one place.  Streamline my life a bit and bring order to the chaos of my life.
  • Enter the arena:  I spend a lot of time slumming around my house and/or on my phone:  surfing Nerd Fitness, looking aimlessly for intriguing videos on YouTube, reading the StrongFirst forums... doing not much productive, in other words.  Sure, some of that is a useful mental break.  But the great men of history did not vegetate before mindless entertainment on a regular basis.  It wasn't a habitual part of their routine.  They switched from one engrossing task to a different challenging task, like taking a break from speech-writing to work in Chartwell's garden (a la Prime Minister Churchill).  Theodore Roosevelt lived the life of a pioneer hero.  I need to take control of my time and start channeling that most precious of resources into more useful pursuits.  Reading is great, provided one is reading good books (I have a lengthy reading list to churn through).  Watching YouTube videos, not so much.  The first step in challenging myself to lead a more strenuous life is to take stock of my time and how it's being spent.  Once I get back from visiting Cassie, I'm going to keep a two-week time journal, and track every minute of my day to see how I'm spending my time.  Results will be posted on here.
  • Use your words:  One of my career goals is to get a Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree.  The Air Force pays for a select number of its attorneys to get an LL.M. each year, and the program is highly competitive.  One way to make your application stronger is to publish a scholarly work.  Typically, that means an article in a legal journal.  I was not published in law school (thank God, because that article was naive).  But with my girlfriend on another continent and not much going on here, I have the time to fix that.  And I have a field that I feel confident writing in.  I must explore the field to see what the scholarly landscape looks like, pick a topic in the field, and wrap my arms around it; burrow in to the background, come up with a thesis, and write.  Perhaps I'll apply law to facts, or perhaps I'll propose changes to the existing law (doubtful).  But first I need to reconnoiter and learn the battlespace.  Goal:  have the article done by 2018 and ready to shop around to journals.
  • Excel in all you do:  The Air Force PFT breaks down the scores into three groups:  Fail (<75.0), Satisfactory (75.0-89.9), and Excellent (90.0+).  I scored an Excellent last time, barely (90.3).  Why do I care about getting an Excellent?  Because if you score Satisfactory, you have to retest in six months.  Excellent scores mean you have a year until your next test.  I've made no secret that I dislike the PFT.  If I get an Excellent this time, I won't have to test again until June 2018, when I am three months from my 30th birthday.  That's a big deal, because the requirements drop at 30.  I go from needing 33 push-ups and 42 sit-ups in a minute (each) to 27 and 39 respectively.  No, I'm not looking for an excuse to get weaker.  But I want the stress of the test to diminish somewhat.  Meanwhile, I'm going to keep on working at the Rite of Passage.  The standards I need are a 1RM press (each arm) of 50% bodyweight (about 42 kg) and 200 snatches in 10 minutes with a 24 kg bell.  My training plan for 2017 looks like primarily RoP, plus Original Strength resets once that book gets here.  For reference, my working weight on both presses and snatches is 20 kg at the turn of the year.  By 2018, I want to be pressing 32 kg and snatching 24 kg comfortably.  The press goal is a reach; 28 kg by 2018 should be easily attained, and 32 kg may be a stretch.  Aim high!
  • You're not lost, you're having an adventure:  There is still so much I want to do while I'm in Japan.  I plan to go CONUS again 7-15 January, in the middle of September, and for Christmas.  Tentatively, Cassie will be out here late February/early March, May, and Thanksgiving.  And it looks like I will be going to the ROK again for most of August.  I may inevitably add to this list, but here are my current adventure goals for the year:
    • Hike Mito-san.  This is the last of the Three Mountains of Oku-tama.  I've already hiked Odake-san and Gozenyama.  Oku-tama is at one end of the train line I live on, so Mito-san is easily accessible.
    • Hike the Three Holy Mountains of Japan:  Fuji-san, Tate-san, and Haku-san.  Fuji and Tate should be easy.  Fuji is already slated for July, and Tate is on the Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Route.  I've already suggested that Cassie and I hike that route when she's here in May, and she's receptive to it.  So I need to make time to get to Haku-san.
    • Visit the Izu Peninsula.
    • Complete my J1 League soccer scarf collection by attending games for the rest of the teams.
    • Go to a Japanese National Team match
    • Go camping in the Fuji Five Lakes region
    • Visit Nagoya.  I hear the hiking there is amazing.

Hm.  That adventure list looks like a good collection to add to the bullet journal.  Order from chaos, indeed.  That's my wrap-up.  I hope all of you have a wonderful end of the year, and that 2017 starts out strong.  See y'all next year ;)

• Like 1

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

5 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

This question may reveal my technological ignorance, but how does one add gifs to posts on here?

I have never tried on Tapatalk or a phone.   But for the PC, it's just find gif, right click 'copy image link' and then paste into the post.    You can also use ''copy image" but I find the spacing doesn't please me as much that way hehehe.

Also, I loved your recap and list for 2017.   I kind of feel like I get to live some of that adventure through your posts!    It's very exciting!

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

6 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I have never tried on Tapatalk or a phone.   But for the PC, it's just find gif, right click 'copy image link' and then paste into the post.    You can also use ''copy image" but I find the spacing doesn't please me as much that way hehehe.

Also, I loved your recap and list for 2017.   I kind of feel like I get to live some of that adventure through your posts!    It's very exciting!

I guess I'll have to keep posting then!  I have a bad habit of falling off the face of the earth for a few months at a clip.  Add goal:  stay current on NF.

Let's see if I can follow directions...

200.gif#2

Ha!  Victory!

• Like 1

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Some days I wonder if I make mountains out of molehills. I have two courts-martial coming up in February; in back-to-back weeks, in fact. I have almost no trial experience. I did no mock trial in law school, externed in non-litigation positions, etc. My trial experience is reading the script and admitting a few exhibits in someone else's court-martial.

I've been at work both days off for Christmas and New Year's weekends. I'm trying to get through as much as possible before leaving for California. And I feel drastically behind where I should be. With about a month to go, I'm still tracking down witnesses and discovery, working on my trial plans, trying to figure out how to admit a few CDs into evidence, and hell, prove one of the elements of the offense for one case. And I still need to close evidentiary holes in that one by talking to witnesses and hoping I can find ones that fit the bill.

And yet, I wonder if I'm making too much out of this. If I'm doing a poor job because I'm letting myself get overwhelmed - or close to it - by what I need to do. Am I just not being productive enough with my time at work? Am I being too conscientious about maintaining a work-life balance (i.e. getting out around 17:00 to PT)? I don't know, and my supervisor is a little too passive-aggressive to be helpful. Or dissembles too much. I don't know what the right, pithy way to describe her is.

I'm definitely taking some work to California. Just some case research, nothing major. My bullet journal averages about six tasks per day so far this year. And I haven't accomplished all the work-related ones yet on either day I was at work. Is it because I'm not working hard enough, or because I am too ambitious in my planning? I dunno.

On life notes, I haven't managed to do my reading for chapter one of our Bible study. I got Cassie and I each a copy of this (Embracing God's Plan for Marriage: A Bible Study for Couples (Word Among Us Keys to the Bible) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1593252048/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1d5Ayb527VJGD) for Christmas. Thankfully, she told me about a free Bible app that doesn't require wifi to use, so I can do it on the plane. We want to do the first session in person while I'm there.

The Serenity is coming along nicely. I'm going through each set of instructions and segregating the pieces. Along the way, I can identify what I'm missing. Once that's done (three sets to go), I'll email the company the list of what I need so they can order and ship the missing pieces to me. And once they get here, all the pieces will already be divided by what instruction set they belong with, so I can assemble quickly. Bam. Easy peasy.

Along with my case research, I'm taking the law review article along with me for reread. Cassie will be working night shift and wants to commit to an hour of homework each day while I'm there, so I'll have my case research, the gym, and law review stuff to occupy me while she's working. Or continuing on through Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy. I won't be bored, that's f'sho'.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

You didn't know it but you've already joined the Dark Side. I try to use our cookies to lure people from the challenges to the battle logs, they are where I believe most people should be posting, at least if they're at all serious about changing their life.

bd1.jpg

On the overwhelmed thing. It's super common to get overwhelmed then get down on yourself because your overwhelmed the to get down on yourself for getting down on yourself. Stop the cycle of madness now! Accept where you are. Accept that you are new to this. You will make mistakes, you will take on too much work but also, so have others you know and respect and they survived. Once you accept these things and simply resolve to do your best and be honest with yourself and others, you can proceed. Or you can be normal and tie yourself in knots with worry. It's your call.

You didn't know it but you've already joined the Dark Side. I try to use our cookies to lure people from the challenges to the battle logs, they are where I believe most people should be posting, at least if they're at all serious about changing their life.

bd1.jpg

On the overwhelmed thing. It's super common to get overwhelmed then get down on yourself because your overwhelmed the to get down on yourself for getting down on yourself. Stop the cycle of madness now! Accept where you are. Accept that you are new to this. You will make mistakes, you will take on too much work but also, so have others you know and respect and they survived. Once you accept these things and simply resolve to do your best and be honest with yourself and others, you can proceed. Or you can be normal and tie yourself in knots with worry. It's your call.

It's having two different tracks in my head going at once that's driving me nuts. One has a lot of moving pieces to manage, but extremely solid evidence. Getting twenty witnesses there on the same days to testify about it is the problem. The other has evidentiary holes that I'm working to fill, but the other case is sucking away time and focus. And deadlines are coming up in both cases. Fast. Too much drawing my attention. I exploded to my deputy supervisor, and my supervisor walked in on it. The deputy thinks it's crazy that the trials are in consecutive weeks too. The supervisor keeps telling me I'm putting in "a workmanlike effort" (hell, I have notes and shit), and that the problems are caused by others not doing their part correctly. That feels like blame-shifting to me, and I hate it. I also left at 17:20 to PT (where I am now, in between ladders). I need my sanity time. The workload looks less when I leave at the end of the day, but with three priority tasks for tomorrow, I expect I will start feeling under the gun again when I get into the office.

I know I'm new at this. But "a workmanlike effort" feels like mediocrity when I know I can fit all the parts together and fill the holes, respectively. I just need more time, and preferably not two tracks going at once. Time is a merciless tyrant.

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Time is a mother fucker.

There are times when all the bits go in place perfectly and you will shine. Life's a grind though. Your workman-like effort will punish bad guys, help good guys, pay the bills and keep law and order far more so than your moments of brilliance. The idea of Captain America is great but it takes 100s of people doing workman-like effort to get him to the drop zone with supplies, a plan and back up and get him back out. It takes thousands of workman-like effort to maintain order everywhere that he isn't.

So, be Captain America when you have the time and space and support (other people's workman-like efforts) but do the grind when you don't. Not doing the grind makes you a diva and a resource sink, be resource fuel.

• Like 1

Time is a mother fucker.

There are times when all the bits go in place perfectly and you will shine. Life's a grind though. Your workman-like effort will punish bad guys, help good guys, pay the bills and keep law and order far more so than your moments of brilliance. The idea of Captain America is great but it takes 100s of people doing workman-like effort to get him to the drop zone with supplies, a plan and back up and get him back out. It takes thousands of workman-like effort to maintain order everywhere that he isn't.

So, be Captain America when you have the time and space and support (other people's workman-like efforts) but do the grind when you don't. Not doing the grind makes you a diva and a resource sink, be resource fuel.

Embrace the suck, in other words? I finally articulated my deep self properly yesterday. What I'm afraid of is making a "but for" mistake: but for me missing something I shouldn't have, we would get a conviction. That's why I feel compelled to be Cap at all times on these cases. It's the overachiever in me.

Yesterday was good and productive. Got two witness calls done that sorted out something's, tidied up a few other corners, and redid my to-do lists to see where I stood. They are shorter now. I suspect I'll get to trial dates without feeling completely like the master of my cases (less time at the end polishing, more time just finishing), but... meh. They seem more manageable.

It helps - significantly - that I am starting a week-long vacation today. I was up at 0400 yesterday to make a witness call, and the resulting tiredness destroyed my willpower. I ate a lot of chocolate (over calorie limit) and opted to go home and pack + sleep rather than do a poor workout just to say I punched the clock. I was falling-down tired when I got to the gym. So this morning is gym time for my RoP light day, then shower, writing a thank-you letter for an unexpected and very touching Christmas gift, then catching the trains to Narita. Yay vacation!

• Like 1

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Quick vacation workout/food update.  First, I have free access to a gym!  And it has kettlebells!  They are measured in pounds, and the collection tops out at a single 45#.  Perfect for presses and snatches, both of which I'm doing with 20 kg right now.  Next to useless for swings.  Swinging 45# doesn't seem like it would have much training effect when I'm normally swinging 53#.  So I'm snatching all three RoP days this week.  The book says not to do that because it's too much stress on one's shoulders.  I accept that.  However, (1) I'm not doing my variety days, largely because the weights don't go high enough, and (2) it's only for one week.  So when doing half the training days, I'm okay when breaking the rules for a week.  We'll call it a short experiment.

This is a good travel compromise.  I hit the gym three out of seven days while Cassie is sleeping after work, which leaves more time together, and I still get my three "required"(ish) days so I don't feel like a fat, weak, lazy sack of garbage.  Win win.

Food.  I promised cooking this week, and we finally made it to the commissary to get the ingredients.  Tomorrow for lunch I'm making these ribs.  Breakfast is probably going to be a protein shake while the lady is sleeping.  She's already given her blessing on me draining through her protein powder stash while I'm here, so that's good.  It's a stepping stone toward better food control by giving myself only a protein shake (which I make pretty darn thick, because I must not use enough liquid) for breakfast.  Then ribs, then ?? for dinner.  I've been promised burritos at some point.  Want.

• Like 4

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

I've wondered about doing the snatches for more days than one, just to get the feel of them. I feel like one day a week doesn't really  ever allow me to master the movement. If it does bother you, on the third day you could do an intense set of the smaller one, and see how many you could do in a short time, or do a longer set than usual.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

I've wondered about doing the snatches for more days than one, just to get the feel of them. I feel like one day a week doesn't really  ever allow me to master the movement. If it does bother you, on the third day you could do an intense set of the smaller one, and see how many you could do in a short time, or do a longer set than usual.

I always snatched twice a week training for the SFG; it was all my hands could handle, even with all the hand maintenance I was doing. Swung the other days. For L1 I snatched light for 200-300 reps, and did snatch density with my test weight on the other. For L2 I snatched light,100 unbroken for 1-2 sets, then heavy 2:1:2 work-rest-work. Usually you'll be able to tell if your problem is lungs, buns, or guns.

I always snatched twice a week training for the SFG; it was all my hands could handle, even with all the hand maintenance I was doing. Swung the other days. For L1 I snatched light for 200-300 reps, and did snatch density with my test weight on the other. For L2 I snatched light,100 unbroken for 1-2 sets, then heavy 2:1:2 work-rest-work. Usually you'll be able to tell if your problem is lungs, buns, or guns.

Jeebus. You were snatching more on your light day than I expect to snatch this week. #machine

Posting for ease of lurking.

6cb8254c192c8da47896013d923010d9.png

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

1 hour ago, mightstone2k said:

6cb8254c192c8da47896013d923010d9.png

Ima just sit here and drool, ogle, sigh contently at this picture.

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

12 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Jeebus. You were snatching more on your light day than I expect to snatch this week. #machine

Sounds much worse than it actually is. It's pretty relaxing actually, and makes you comfortable with snatching for reps. For L1 my test weight was 24kg. I would snatch a 16kg 100 times (20-20-15-15-10-10-5-5), then a 12kg for 100, than a 10kg for 100. It took around 3 minutes each. Decreasing the weight allows you to put a lot of reps of practice without muscular fatigue messing with you too much. Unless cardio is your problem...

• Like 1