• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Brand new Nerd here, picked up road cycling this year due to a meniscus removal that makes running really painful. Don't see much from other cyclists posted in here. Are there a lot of us? Was hoping for a cycling subforum in here like there is a running one to better facilitate discussion :)

• Like 2

OOH, ME!!

I'm mainly a utility cyclist and ride a touring bike, I like to think I do a bit of touring but I haven't actually been on a multi-day ride for years.  Other than commuting and shopping, I mostly potter around with my cycling club, either on the Dawes touring bike, or on my road bike.  I also have a MTB but I'm not a fan of the mud/bike combo.  I'd rather run when it comes to mud.

What do you ride, FlyNavy? 

I'll add a vote for a cycling subforum!

• Like 2

Mythical, I'm an aspiring roadie. Rode mountain as a teenager, and was very very good at hurting myself and running into stuff. Now that I'm older, and more fragile, I'd like to avoid that :) I would love to do a multi day tour sometime. It sounds really awesome. Got a road bike because I want to ride long distances for fitness, and because I like to go fast. Nothing like the reward of a really awesome descent after a hard climb. And at almost 240 lbs, almost all climbs are hard. 

• Like 1

That's too bad. Figured with the resurgence that cycling was having there might be a few more of us here. WAY more fun than slogging along throwing one foot in front of the other like all those runners. I'm actually here largely because I want to add in a strength component to my workout plan since riding is basically all I do now :)

• Like 1

I do enjoy running too.  Cycling is a different experience for me.

I've been out and about with my friends over the weekend, exploring some local lanes.   We found some amazing, smooth, swooping, low traffic downhill lanes, saw Concorde at Manchester airport and a miniature Statue of Liberty someone had erected on a clock tower in their garden.  These types of rides are not about speed, but about finding new lanes, good coffee, good cake and excellent company.   :)

11990547_10153732097305572_3922246040687

(whether this pic works for anyone but me remains to be seen!)

Wa're planning a multi-day ride with the club early next year and in the not-so-distant future, I'm getting quite excited about this ride: 
https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/bike-rides/manchester-to-blackpool-night-ride

I'm not raising sponsorship, just doing it for the experience of riding the country lanes at night with a load of like-minded people.

Has anyone else been out over the weekend?

• Like 2

I don't know if I can be called a cyclist. I picked up a Trek FX 7.1(and a helmet) this weekend to cross train. Running is my main thing but I need more activity than my weekly running mileage(and old legs) can support so I figured cycling would be fun. I didn't find road bikes comfortable so I went hybrid.

Very green to cycling so lots of questions will be forthcoming I suspect

• Like 1

I like to ride! Put in a good deal of miles so far this summer, though the past week or so have been too busy to ride much. I did a 3-day fully loaded tour last month that I wrote about here.

• Like 1

This is my baby. Trek Domane 2.0. I love clippy shoes. Much more efficient pedaling. Except when I have to walk in them. Then, I waddle like a penguin. On another note, it is WAY to hot here in the northeast this week to ride for any real distance. Hope it gets nicer soon.

Screen_Shot_2015_09_08_at_4_29_18_PM.jpg

• Like 2

I don't know if I can be called a cyclist. I picked up a Trek FX 7.1(and a helmet) this weekend to cross train. Running is my main thing but I need more activity than my weekly running mileage(and old legs) can support so I figured cycling would be fun. I didn't find road bikes comfortable so I went hybrid.

Very green to cycling so lots of questions will be forthcoming I suspect

If you have questions, ask away! And you ride a bike, therefore, you are a cyclist. Plus bikes are fun! Running doesn't get fun toys ;) I didn't find the road bike comfortable at first either. Then I got a good fitting, a much better saddle, and just rode a lot to get used to it. Now I feel weird riding flat bars for long distances. Plus, I like to go fast :)

• Like 1

Plus bikes are fun! Running doesn't get fun toys ;) I didn't find the road bike comfortable at first either. Then I got a good fitting, a much better saddle, and just rode a lot to get used to it. Now I feel weird riding flat bars for long distances. Plus, I like to go fast :)

Heh. Shoes, hats, belts, shoes, headbands, watches, shoes, armbands, hydration bottles, shoes, sunglasses, socks, underwear, shoes, hr monitors, RoadIDs, shoes, baselayers, gloves and did I mention shoes?. More than enough stuff to keep me broke from running. Bike, helmet, water bottle, place to ride. DONE DEAL!

The serious: The one thing I am looking into is a cycling computer but it needs to track cadence, the metric I'm most interested in. I want to match my running cadence for cross training reasons. Feel free to educate me on the difference between analog and digital wireless (I'm a ham radio operator so know the difference between the technologies. Looking for the impact of them on performance. AKA why I want one or the other).

• Like 1

Hi,

I ride a lot of XC. I used to ride a bit of road but find it pretty boring where I live at the moment.

I don't ride for fitness, I ride because I love it. My greatest talent is finding ways to come off that seem to be impossible. I once crashed and had the large chain ring gouge my inner thigh, I still can't figure out how that's possible.

L

• Like 1

I am in an ever changing state between considering myself a runner or a cyclist... I very much am both,

Cycling is winning out though. This year I switched from Runkeeper to Strava to track all my runs/rides. https://www.strava.com/athletes/7926072 

I ride a Opus CX bike, it is a beautiful girl I named "Bike Angie." She's tough, capable and you can load up her backside and ride her for hours. Human Angie has a rivalry with her.  Bike Angie is a great ride, but I am getting faster than she allows. Years of hard training keeps pushing me further and further, faster, and faster.

I have been restoring an old 1994 Marinoni road bike over the summer.  Kind of a neat project on the personal level for me. I bought the bike a few years back, I had put a ton of KM on the super old junker hybrid I  got from a friend, and had lost a ton of weight because of it. So I wanted to look into a new bike, which was an old used 1994 Marinoni. It was my reward to myself for getting fit, changing my life around, and really moving up the next step on the cyclist ladder.It was in rough shape, but had STI shifters, and proper, while old, road slicks, it was a huge upgrade for my speed.

After a while I got BIke Angie, and the old roadie went into the closet... was disassembled, and forgotten... And some things that should not have been

forgotten...were lost.History became legend...legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years the 1994 Marinoni passed out of all knowledge. Well, it was probably closer to one year.

Sandblasted off all the paint, layed down 4 coats of Banner Red, then another of clear coat and the frame looks brand new. Brand new bottom bracket, new used Shimano 105 Groupset, that I ran all new cables and new bright white housing.  Brand new red racing slicks that can go up to 120psi. Even a white and red seat. The thing was a work of art. It took me months to get everything back together. I had everything finished and was about to take it out for a first ride when I looked at the time, and figured I would save it for the morning. I pumped the tires up to full pressure and left my masterpiece for the night.

*BANG*

"Mike, what the hell was that" Human Angie said at 3 am after a extremely loud bang woke us both up. 

"Huhn...blaaaar...morning" Mike grunted.

Woke up the next morning, got ready for a ride, wearing my sweet new matching red and white Kit i picked up at Value Village for 12$....

Oh... so that's what that bang was.

LSLBSfh.jpg

The rim blew!

Now the project is over budget...my....Precious. is lost!

• Like 1

Heh. Shoes, hats, belts, shoes, headbands, watches, shoes, armbands, hydration bottles, shoes, sunglasses, socks, underwear, shoes, hr monitors, RoadIDs, shoes, baselayers, gloves and did I mention shoes?. More than enough stuff to keep me broke from running. Bike, helmet, water bottle, place to ride. DONE DEAL!

The serious: The one thing I am looking into is a cycling computer but it needs to track cadence, the metric I'm most interested in. I want to match my running cadence for cross training reasons. Feel free to educate me on the difference between analog and digital wireless (I'm a ham radio operator so know the difference between the technologies. Looking for the impact of them on performance. AKA why I want one or the other).

For the cadence cycling computer I had the Cateye Strada Dual Wireless and it worked like a champ.

Alas I sold my "nice" road bike yesterday...a Felt F65.  

I now ride a 1981 Miyata 710...she is not as pretty or as quick as the Felt but still puts a smile on my face when I ride.  

• Like 2

Hey newbie cyclist here. Rediscovered the joy and freedom of cycling a few weeks back while traveling on my fitness journey... And I think i'm gonna stick!

For now I explore the lovely countryside around my village...i'll see where it leads me

Envoyé de mon RAINBOW en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did two multi-day bike rides and loved the experience. I would actually love to get back into cycling, but stopped when I had to trash my bike because of a crack in the frame. So tell me lovely nerds - what is the best way to get a decent road bike when you are a broke soul? I've used craig's list in the past, but I wonder if I'm missing some good resources and/or opportunities.

• Like 1

Many big cities have a Facebook group for selling used bikes and biking accessories. Since they're usually populated with cyclists the prices are a little more realistic than Craig's List. The selection is more interesting too. At least that's my experience in Minneapolis.

A crack in steel or carbon fiber can be fixed too. Probably wouldn't be cheaper than finding a new frame though.

• Like 1

I love cycling!  I bike commute, run errands, and have been working on longer rides.  Admittedly I do not venture out of the challenge forums often enough.

We have several bike co-op's where you can put together bikes or buy one used until you can save the coin for what you really want.  

• Like 1

I just gave up my car and started using an e-bike. I know that's not exactly pure cycling, but I live in the foothills of the Appalachians, so having that little extra boost to get up steep inclines is what allows me to commute on it. The deal that I made myself was that I would only use the motor assistance when I neared my limit of endurance, and then only until I'd caught my breath (as an asthmatic, that's essential).

So far I've noticed that my mood improves after a ride. I get this sense of accomplishment just from arriving at my destination. I see a lot more scenery, and the best part of it all might be that I see so many people smile or wave as they drive by.

• Like 3

So far I've noticed that my mood improves after a ride. I get this sense of accomplishment just from arriving at my destination. I see a lot more scenery, and the best part of it all might be that I see so many people smile or wave as they drive by.

I am right there with you!  I love watching the change in seasons and the sunrise (I ride in early).  When stopped it is awesome to chat with someone or comment on their pet or simply say what a great outfit they have on if it is that neat.  Bringing an unexpected smile is cool.  Waving or nodding to others out riding, walking, or running also builds motivation.

• Like 2

I live at the intersection of two long, lightly-hilled highways. No matter which way the wind is blowing, I can plan to have it at my back on the way home.

It feels like I'm flying every single time.

11138605_10153915299298018_1832971863030

• Like 1

And that is why I eat so many bugs...

I can not stop smiling and belting out a "wwwwwhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" on a good hill.  It is so fun when riding you get a good clip going on any surface.  I am to the point I actually like climbing hills.

• Like 2