Counter-desk job program

Dradis

The further i go in lifting the more i realise what a number a 15 year desk job has done on my body and posture. I'm slowly coming up with a bunch of moves that i try and fit in every day in order to counteract what some people are calling a modern day cancer.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions of good things to add, and for what?

What i've got, broken down into problem categories is below. These are in addition to a balanced lifting routine....

Rolled shoulders/kyphosis

---------------------------------------

Face pulls

Band pull aparts

Shoulder dislocates

Handstands (jfreaksho)

Scap dips (get in a dip position, and push your shoulders down as far as you can, away from your ears, with straight arms) (jfreaksho)

Scap pushups (similar, but from a pushup position, and horizontal instead of vertical) (jfreaksho)

Inverted rows (jfreaksho)

Anterior pelvic tilt

---------------------------------------

Glute bridges

Quad stretch

Hip flexor stretch

hollow body holds or planks (jfreaksho)

General mobility

----------------------------------------

Caveman squat

Caveman squat pushing knees out with elbows

Foam rolling 

Thoracic bridge (this really fits into all categories, i also want to work up to the thoracic bridge flow)

http://phraktured.net/starting-stretching.html(jfreaksho)

http://phraktured.net/molding-mobility.html (jfreaksho)

Kettlebell hardstyle swing and get-up (Machete)

Books and resources

-----------------------------------------

Becoming a Supple Leopard - Kelly Starrett (500+ pages)

Free+Style - Carl Paoli (400+ pages)

Simple and Sinister -  Pavel Tsatsouline (100 pages) (Machete)

MobilityWOD principles (hour long video) - Kelly Starrett (Machete)
https://youtu.be/3WOpb8PrrSc
http://www.mpcalisthenics.com/stretching/the-7-stretches-of-highly-flexible-people-2(BaconHunter)

Basically, lets throw ideas around and get our modern day selves fixed!

Cheers

• Like 1

My next challenge will emphasize rehab and mobility in some way; would love to keep in touch on this topic! I have the Supple Leopard book. I wouldn't buy the electronic version; the layout is complex. I've used it as a resource for specific mobility issues, not so much as a structured program. Although underused at present, it's definitely been worth my money.

• Like 1

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous

My next challenge will emphasize rehab and mobility in some way; would love to keep in touch on this topic! I have the Supple Leopard book. I wouldn't buy the electronic version; the layout is complex. I've used it as a resource for specific mobility issues, not so much as a structured program. Although underused at present, it's definitely been worth my money.

Awesome thanks. Does it lay out a program for people to maintain their mobility or is it largely left to the reader to form their own program based on weaknesses and goals?

My issue currently is that, as bad as it sounds, i don't have the time and willpower for a lengthy daily mobility program which is why i've been trying to gather the best bang-for-buck moves for me that i can squeeze in daily.

Having said that, within the next 2 months i should be freeing up a considerable amount of my time :)

Looking around i don't think there is even a ebook version. Not that i can find anyway. There is a 50 page preview but i can't find the whole thing for sale, at least not in the UK

Awesome thanks. Does it lay out a program for people to maintain their mobility or is it largely left to the reader to form their own program based on weaknesses and goals?

I would say it's largely left to the reader. The first part describes proper posture and form, and lays out his philosophy of movement; that's the part I've mostly skipped over. The second part is specific mobility exercises organized by structures of the body; e.g., upper/lower posterior chain.
  • Like 1

Supple Leopard is great for specific techniques, but not much for an overall plan.

I'm a big fan of the Starting Stretching routine over at http://www.reddit.com/r/flexibility/ It hits all the stuff you are looking for, and only takes 10-15 minutes per day.

Regarding the kyphosis suggestions, I've been finding that most of it is because my back is weak, specifically mid and upper.  You've got a good start, but here are a few more:

Handstands (Nothing works my traps quite like handstands against the wall.  Sometimes I do shrugs in this position as well.)

Scap dips (get in a dip position, and push your shoulders down as far as you can, away from your ears, with straight arms).

Scap pushups (similar, but from a pushup position, and horizontal instead of vertical)

Inverted rows (find a bar about hip or waist high and row your chest up to it.  Similar to a pullup, but a different plane of motion.)

Pelvic Tilt is very often weak/underactive abs and glutes.  Bodyline drills help greatly (hollow body holds or planks). 

Beyond that, the big trick is constant awareness.  A workout every day can't make up for 8+ hours of sitting in front of a screen all hunched over with stretched out glutes and shortened hip flexors.  Work on having good mechanics and movement patterns all the time.  I think there are randomized timer apps that will pop up a reminder every so often, if that is what you need.

• Like 1

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

Thanks, yes my upper back is weak, my lifting routine is biased towards upper back and rear delt work to go along with the mobility stuff above already. I also do planks, hollow body and arch holds.

That is a decent looking flexibility routine you linked to, might test that bad boy out.

Yeah, Supple Leopard is definitely good stuff, but it's way too much info to just swallow. (I went to the MobilityWOD seminar, and most of the stuff I learned would be practically useless if you didn't have some base to apply the principles on.) Eventually though I think it boils down to the 4 Principles of Functional Movement.

I hear Carl Paoli's Free+Style is also a good resource.

Personally though, I'd been sitting a lot, and what seemed to really help my posture (in addition to applying the Supple Leopard principles) is following Pavel's Simple & Sinister for the last few months. Learning the Hardstyle Swing and the Getup taught me how to apply a lot of the movement principles that I've read about over the years (packing the shoulder, neutral spine, hip extension). It's also great for your back and posterior chain, which tend to weaken when you sit a lot.

• Like 3

Yeah, Supple Leopard is definitely good stuff, but it's way too much info to just swallow. (I went to the MobilityWOD seminar, and most of the stuff I learned would be practically useless if you didn't have some base to apply the principles on.) Eventually though I think it boils down to the 4 Principles of Functional Movement.

Personally though, I'd been sitting a lot, and what seemed to really help my posture (in addition to applying the Supple Leopard principles) is following Pavel's Simple & Sinister for the last few months. Learning the Hardstyle Swing and the Getup taught me how to apply a lot of the movement principles that I've read about over the years (packing the shoulder, neutral spine, hip extension). It's also great for your back and posterior chain, which tend to weaken when you sit a lot.

Oh God, thank you for that video. I can handle watching an hour-long lecture, but the first half of Supple Leopard is major overwhelm.

I'm glad to hear you say good things about Simple & Sinister. I ordered it on a whim a few weeks ago and devoured it... am thinking swings and getups could really help with a lot of the issues I've been having recently, as soon as I'm cleared to do anything with weights again.

Interesting, i'll check out that video some time this weekend. Certainly it appeals a lot more than trying to digest 500 pages of textbook, especially as i'm hardly an elite athlete! :)

Even Free+Style is 400+ pages, but i'll investigate that too.

The kettlebell stuff is very interesting to me as i already do 2x25 swings for my warm-up before every workout. I've seen a chap doing get-ups at my gym, he's a pretty in shape guy and i'm always amazed what i workout he seems to get from this seemingly easy and slow movement.

Simple and sinister, at just over 100 pages is definitely more digestible than the other books. Now i'm confused as to what to do. Thanks a bunch! :D

Adding all suggestions to original post. I'm skipping swimming as for most its not really something you can do every day. My gym doesn't have a pool. I did used to love swimming at my old gym though.

I like to have a few things in my movement arsenal that I can pull out right in the office when I get a minute or two of free time. 

1. Chair L-sits
  2. Simple yoga poses (e.g. mountain, downward dog, warrior)
  3. Desk pushups
  4. Walk the halls a bit (or stairs - bonus!)

There are plenty of other options, many of which will depend on a number of factors like your particular office environment and current level of fitness.

I would also suggest looking into getting a standing desk. This is the one I am planning to get. It allows you to easily transition between sitting and standing.

Not sure if this would be possible, but what about standing at your desk, I do that myself and between that and lifting my posture has improved TONS.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I have read a few good articles about the unhealthiness of a desk job. As a college student I absolutely hate it. I sit sedentary for hours at a time. Its terrible for my body. Check out the articles I'm linking, they've helped me a lot.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/07/24/desk-jockey-workout/

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/08/05/undo-the-damage-of-sitting/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-ways-to-make-workplace-healthier-productive/#axzz3huCvrIvx

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/16-tips-for-desk-jockeys-what-to-do-about-sitting-all-day/

And a standing desk is something I saw used in high school by teachers who wanted to stand instead of sitting while teaching. It can be expensive, but if you're handy and into diy, you can definitely make one cheaply.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/07/05/become-a-stand-up-guy-the-history-benefits-and-use-of-standing-desks/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/standing-at-work/