01/31/2016: 145 lbs

03/04/2016: 138 lbs

04/01/2016: 137 lbs

05/01/2016: 137 lbs

06/01/2016: 137 lbs

Level 7 Ranger

STR 19 | STA 16 | DEX 17 | CON 10 | WIS 8 | CHA 8

Battle Log | Previous Challenge | Progress Photos

Tonight's workout was a freestyle. I tried different things to mix it up and figure out what I want to do for my next challenge. I also worked on doing standard on the floor push ups, and sit ups, but I still struggle with both of those. Right now, the scaled down version of NF's Advanced Body Weight Workout (dubbed the Intermediate Body Weight Workout by me) is near the top of my list. Without further ado, what I did tonight:

2 sets of:
20 Squats
10 Incline Push Ups
10 Lateral Lunges (with 15 lbs dumbbells)
10 Uchi Mata Drill (judo throw)*
10 Dumbbell Rows per side (with 35 lbs dumbbells)
45 seconds Plank
30 seconds Isometric Squat

*The drill is: stepping back, kicking up the leg, bending forward, and reaching the opposite arm out to touch the ground, alternating sides each rep

1 set of:
30 Jumping Jacks
3 min Beginner Jump Rope drills
3 min Boxing Footwork
3 min Shadow Boxing
10 min Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu based stability ball drills*

*Jeff Glover Stability Ball Work mostly this balance segment for about 5 min, then worked on other drills from various parts of the video

Level 7 Ranger

Congrats on the weight loss, that's some quick progress you have made there. I'll be checking in to see what your next challenge ends up being. I will be doing my first as well. I've never really been able to go to work out without a game plan, feels like I just wander around aimlessly, then its time to go home lol. It seems like you were able to knock out a good workout freestyling, nice work.

<p><p>eedad's daily battle log ----> http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/70279-eedads-daily-log/Challenge #1 ----> http://rebellion.nerdfitnss.com/index.php?/topic/70983-eedads-first-challenge-1/Plank times, progress measured as workouts per week with final measure of time 12/12

100%
100%
Flexibility 24/24
100%
100%
Diet 38/42
90.4%
90.4%
Life goal = pass/fail<p>
100%
100%
Strength training / body weight exercise day.

2 sets of:

20 Squats

10 Incline Push Ups

20 Lunges

10 Dumbbell Rows per side (with 35 lbs dumbbells)

45 seconds Plank

30 Jumping Jacks

I completed my 2nd set in 6 minutes (previous best 8 minutes.)

1 set of:

3 min Boxing Footwork

5 min Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu based stability ball drills*

*My balance is getting better. Held balance for 10 seconds, and held a triangle for 5 seconds each side. Before getting swept and landing on my back the second time... It's all good though, it's a part of BJJ and other martial arts.

Level 7 Ranger

Dusts off my battle log

This will read as more of a blog post rather than a battle log entry, actually.

I took the last 6+ weeks off from Nerd Fitness and following the structure of a challenge to find out if I would have the same level of success that I had for my first two challenges. Well, did I succeed? I would say so. When I joined NF back in July, I did so after taking a hiatus from my passion, which is competing in video games, so that I could make fitness my new passion, go all in on it, and thus reach my goals. This past "challenge" was all about getting back to the pre-NF me, but with the newfound addition of fitness into my lifestyle.

It's been going way better than I imagined it would. I'm in the best shape of my life right now, and looking forward to kicking even more ass in the upcoming year. Not just athletically, either. I'm also better at competitive video games than I was despite the 4 month break. Lots of top competitive gamers have some sort of athletic background, so my increased athleticism could be playing a part there. Those of you who have followed either of my challenges know that I've struggled with my creative passion which is making music. Good news. I was able to finish 1 of the 3 songs I had drafted between my two challenges. I'm still not happy enough to release it, needs some tweaks, but it's something, haha.

Onto the results

During this "challenge" I was able to continue watching the scale go down and my waistline get smaller, even though my diet and workout schedule haven't been as rigid as during the challenges. I succumbed to pie during Thanksgiving, I sometimes only worked out 3-4 days a week instead of 6, and my sleep schedule got a little worse as I got a little less active/gamed more.

I went from 178 lbs on Oct 25th (end of my 2nd challenge) to 159 lbs on Dec 14th (this morning.) I bought myself some new clothes for the first time in years. I was in a slump (or hit a plateau?) when it came to cardio for a month (11/08-12/08) but I climbed up out of it. As a result of getting stronger, I replaced a couple body weight workouts with dumbbell workouts, as they weren't challenging me enough.

Ding! You have reached Level 4!

I'm going to give myself a level up here. My "challenge" was unorthodox and unofficial but I feel I've earned it. As for stats, I've only gained some, since I wouldn't have 100%'d my goals.

+2 STR +3 STA +1 WIS

Progress Photo

y7nZuIB.png
                          178 lbs                                                                154 lbs

• Like 1

Level 7 Ranger

February Summary

Starting weight: 145 lbs (01/31/2016)

Quest 1: A = +2 STR +2 STA +2 DEX

Quest 2: A  = +2 CON +2 WIS

I made a pretty good habit this month of studying for my GED. Even though I was only spending about 15-20 minutes per session, it was better than nothing. I started coaching a CSGO team and we had a decent start for the first month. Not much to say about this month though, nothing of note happened.

March Summary

Starting weight: 138 lbs (03/04/2016)

I was absent from Nerd Fitness this month, but still got a lot done, and leveled up my life. From Feb 29-Mar 4, I traveled about 450 miles (and back) and got lost, which added even more miles, to Tallahassee, FL. I was so nervous of getting into a car accident on the way up there since it was my first time taking a long road trip like that. 

I was in Tallahassee, FL to visit my grandmother for the first time since she moved there a few months ago. She had just bought a new house, got into a minor car accident, and so when she got out of rehab, my mom & I went up to help her unpack, take her to doctor appointments, and help her around the house. During my time at my grandma's, I got to try (and succeeded) sticking to my healthy eating and getting workouts in despite being away from home. Most of them are using my own body and no equipment, so it was easy.

When I got home, I wasn't really thinking of Nerd Fitness that much, so I didn't do the summary of my February challenge, nor did I start one for March. If I had, I probably would have edited in a diet based goal. I was pretty lenient throughout the month. This month was basically my first failure in that regard. I guess I just subconsciously gave myself a break after 9 months of consistency.

Now for the good news! On March 22nd (coincidentally the 9th month anniversary since I started my journey) I finally had the money and found a good deal on a bicycle. I've been looking into triathlon for a couple of months now, and now I have the last piece of the Triforce (yup, Zelda reference) to start really training for it.

yurx45A.png

Took this pic of my bike today so I could show it here. There's a turtle hiding in the background. It felt like I was playing Pokemon Snap IRL and that he was a Squirtle.

Progress Photos

03/04/2016 138 lbs                                                                                  04/01/2016 137 lbs

tmTdPst.pngqVD8Xl4.png

Finally felt like taking a pic in the gym the other day. As I said, my diet was lenient throughout March, so I kept going up/down on the scale, and only lost a pound total for the month.

Level 7 Ranger

Wow! You've made SO MUCH PROGRESS! It's amazing! Sometimes times where things aren't as great healthy eating-wise, maybe your body needed the break. Either way, you got this. I'm also excited that you've been studying for your GED so much! 

I'm so excited for you and all of your progress so far!

Congrats and may the (tri)force be with you! :)

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Congrats on all the progress!  It looks like you've gained a TON of muscle between 3/4 and 4/1, so I wonder if that 1lb is deceptive?  Either way - looks like you're on the right track.  Good luck with the Tri goal - I love cycling for exercise, hope it's not too hot down in FL to enjoy it!

Hope to see you around more - here, if not on an April challenge thread! :)

• Like 1

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

CURRENT CHALLENGE

On 4/6/2016 at 9:36 AM, athousandwords said:

Congrats on all the progress!  It looks like you've gained a TON of muscle between 3/4 and 4/1, so I wonder if that 1lb is deceptive?  Either way - looks like you're on the right track.  Good luck with the Tri goal - I love cycling for exercise, hope it's not too hot down in FL to enjoy it!

Hope to see you around more - here, if not on an April challenge thread! :)

Yeah, I have gotten some more muscle in my arms and legs since using dumbbells more in my workouts. Goblet squats (with 30 lbs) as opposed to a body weight squat, dumbbell curls, dumbbell bench press. You can't see it because I have worn sleeves in all my pics (changing soon maybe as I did recently get a tank top that fits) but I have biceps now. Small ones but still.

EDIT: I thought about it more, and it's possible that having a lenient diet helped me build muscle, as I was eating extra protein and calories in general. I know lifters will sometimes eat "unhealthy" foods to help them get a caloric surplus.

Level 7 Ranger

On 4/6/2016 at 8:23 PM, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

Wow! You've made SO MUCH PROGRESS! It's amazing! Sometimes times where things aren't as great healthy eating-wise, maybe your body needed the break. Either way, you got this. I'm also excited that you've been studying for your GED so much! 

I'm so excited for you and all of your progress so far!

Congrats and may the (tri)force be with you! :)

Thank you! I wouldn't say I've been studying so much as I don't usually spend more than 30 minutes at a time on it, but at least the habit is there.

• Like 1

Level 7 Ranger

Just now, Fatal said:

Thank you! I wouldn't say I've been studying so much as I don't usually spend more than 30 minutes at a time on it, but at least the habit is there.

It's so much in comparison to before :)

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Yesterday marked the 10th month that I've been living a fairly consistent healthy/active life. The story of Joe who you might have seen on the front page and in articles was one of my inspirations. I didn't quite achieve what he did (104 lbs vs 128 lbs) but I also didn't start as heavy as him and don't need to lose quite that much.

Level 7 Ranger

May Summary:

I have been taking it easy the past few months, and May was no different. Thus, I haven't really improved in any way. I guess I got content and/or complacent with my results. I realize now that even though my challenges were fairly simple to the point where they were easy for me to accomplish, they were still challenging me to stay on task and get things done. Dieting (I hate the term, but using it here for lack of a better one) and exercising without the challenge format has still been good to me, but it hasn't been great like the challenges were.

Level 7 Ranger