An Upside-Down, Inside-Out, Backwards, Paradoxical, Crazy Like a ShadowLion
Challenge In Which She Plans Her Escape From the Sprawling Megalopolis

And Gets Back to Her Ranger Roots As a Techno-Ranger Sorceress

"The Game of All Games is Life."

~ Ariel ha' Chakam, the First Malakh Reality Hacker

A Reality Hacker plays The Game in physical reality, all the while knowing that

The Game is Won or Lost Within the Mind.

The Reality Hacker's choice of role or character determines her skills and method of playing The Game.

This Reality Hacker Chooses to Play as a Techno-Ranger Sorceress.

gallery_17054_1921_44348.jpg

Character Name: ShadowLion

Alignment: Chaotic Good
Race: Malakh-Human Hybrid
Class: Ranger
Skills: Stealth, concealment, techno-sorcery

Knowledge: Route finding and desert survival, first aid

Favored Weapons: Espada y daga (sword and dagger); open-hand; the occasional fireball

Separated from her magical order, ShadowLion has spent the last eight years living in a sprawling desert Megalopolis. This challenge, she will plan and prepare herself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually to escape the city and return to her ancestral home high on the remote, northern plateau.

Though she does not know when her departure will be, she is determined to live once again in the shadow of the Sacred Mountains. She has resolved to start her Journey as soon as she can reliably provide for those who depend on her. In the meantime, she continues to search for any remaining members of her order.

A Reality Hacker's Creative Medium is Time and Space

Thus, a Reality Hacker Must Be Prepared to Deal With Paradox.

A sorceress must fully accept the who, what, where and why of her situation before she can hope to see how to change it.
Once she has truly seen through the distorted lens, she realizes she has already changed it,
She was merely waiting for time to catch up to her. The how was there all along, contained within the when.

ShadowLion Vows to Pursue The Goals Contained in Her Epic Quest

Using the Abstraction Layer Favored by Her Order.

The Sisterhood of the Dragon utilizes a combination of "Paths"

and associated elements to organize their mystical workings.

gallery_17054_1984_667139.png

Elements of ShadowLion's Ongoing Epic Quest

The following four goals are the major components of my Epic Quest. The Challenge Missions are meant to move me a measurable distance further towards completing my goals.

SCHOLAR/AIR
Bring to life the fantasy fiction series that I've been writing for lo, these many years.

An intellectual challenge, a skill that needs further development, and a message that needs to be heard.
Challenge Mission: Write. Minimum 45 minutes per day, at least 5 days per week, BEFORE work. The Writer's Guild Accountability Group (__/30)

HEALER/WATER
Return to my beloved northern AZ mountains to build my little bit of heaven in the pines.

Rest for the body, peace for the mind, food for my soul.
Challenge Mission: At least one hour per week researching building codes and other information I need to decide on a course of action and start planning; financial assessment. (__/7)

MAGICIAN/FIRE
Develop awesome apps that help people achieve their dreams.

Learning, Technology, and Service, all in one small package. Where I must take care is to not flame out from too much work and stress and not enough rest and balance.
Challenge Mission: Work no more than 50 hours per week (__/6)
. Of those 50 hours,

10 hours per week dedicated to study and skill advancement. (__/6), and

10 hours per week on paperwork and promotions. (__/6)

WARRIOR/EARTH
Get back into fire-fighting shape, so that I can work on a wildland engine again.
Challenge Mission: Walk at least 31 miles total distance over the course of the challenge (These boots were made for walking - PVP). (__/31)

Eat 1.5-2 cups of fruit and 2-3 cups of vegetables daily. (__/30)

PRIESTESS/AETHER (The Center)

Unify the Elements above into a healthy, happy life.

Develop as a leader and a teacher. Pass on what I have learned in 57 years on this planet.

Challenge Mission: Meditate daily for at least 10 minutes. (__/30)

Meditate daily for at least 10 minutes. (__/30)

Actions That Support ShadowLion's Four Main Missions

A Sorceress understands that success proceeds from the inside out, that things are not always what they seem, and that sometimes to stay motivated, one must consume dessert first. The magical life is filled with paradox and there are many challenges along the way. A sorceress must be prepared to utilize everything in her environment to further her goals.

The rest of my challenge supports the four Challenge Missions, shores up weaknesses, or works areas that are just for fun or simply don't fit anywhere else. The challenge to the sorceress - Find the pattern hidden within the seeming chaos.

This is an ongoing list that will roll over from challenge to challenge until complete. Starred items are those things I plan to work on this challenge in addition to my stated challenge missions outlined above.

Projects - These extend beyond this challenge period and are medium to large subsets of the 4 goals identified above. There is some overlap between them. Therefore, I have chosen a number of animal totems to use as organizing principles for my various projects.

DRAGONFLY

med_gallery_17054_1984_515170.jpg

The dragonfly is associated with both air and water. A dragonfly's compound eyes provide complete vision of the frontal hemisphere and it is a quick, agile, and strong flier that can change its flight direction suddenly and up or down, forward or backward, left or right. 

These qualities make it an appropriate totem for any of my projects related to Intellect, Planning, Observation, Memory, Productivity, Agility, Speed.

* Break down all major projects into plan overview, strategy, tasks, and schedule them

* Construct Master Spread Sheets for routines, challenges, Household Inventory
3D Array of goals, projects, tasks, toads for challenges - This will be the basis for learning project that will work with a variety of Javascript technologies, data handling, and algorithms for sorting and prioritizing
Create custom planner app that includes routines, reminders, reviews, as well as the usual calendar and schedule.

* SuperBetter Book and Site - Use this knowledge to further gamify my challenges and improve my apps.

* Create my "Memory Palace," which is really more of a "Ranger Cabin of Traditions and Technologies," document my methods and experiments for a blog and an ebook.

OTTER

med_gallery_17054_1984_173196.jpg

Water and Earth. Otters love to have fun. Social, and just plain cute, they also manage to feed themselves and their families, and to survive in style, without being too serious. Their focus is on experiencing the joy of life; they don't need a lot of stuff. This category includes recreation, socializing, simplicity, and making sure I don't overwork myself.

* Cloaks and Daggers - The Rangers Costume Contest

* Renaissance Rebels - Challenge accountability group for creative pursuits

* Friend Time

Minimalism PVP

PHOENIX

med_gallery_17054_1984_1004595.jpg

This mythical bird represents creative fire. This seems like a good fit for my business projects and my techno-rangering. 

* MongoDB Course

* Udemy Courses - Focusing on MEAN stack  - Mongo, Express, Angular and Node - plus server admin skills.

* At least one Hackathon or startup weekend type activity between October 1 and December 1, 2015

* Code3SG site up and running

* Rotowind site finished

Phase 2 of Code Sisters site

Rework of SAS site

CATS!!!
Cats. Big and small cats. Fit. Flexible. Fierce. Territorial and therefore capable fighters. 
Earth Element. I associate them with the physical aspects of my challenge and related projects, silent stalking, and self-sufficiency. 

* Handstand
* 5 minute plank

* Flexibility work, NF Yoga, Supple Leopard
Rangers Mini Challenge

Adventures and "Get out of Dodge"

Ranger Up, little cub! No whining. Use that energy for adventures...

med_gallery_17054_923_115322.jpg

And some hey diddle, diddle, the cat and the fiddle...

med_gallery_17054_1640_46970.jpg

DRAGON

gallery_17054_1984_138913.jpg

Inside Out - Lucid Dreaming

gallery_17054_1393_26268.jpg

More Purple and the Secret Goal

Find the Sisters

gallery_17054_1772_780.png

Tasks  - These are short term actions, which are either one-off actions or repeated actions meant to build longer term habits and/or complete projects

DRAGONFLY

* Use at least 3 productivity hacks daily to get the most out of that time

* Challenge Spreadsheet

* Compile a reading and study plan for each of my four goals

OTTER

* Juggling for Rangers Mini 9/20

* Healing Feat for Rangers Mini (creative things)

* Complete decluttering and deep clean of the main bath (Minimalism PVP) 

PHOENIX

* One work related meetup, conference, or other educational or networking activity per week

CAT

* Ranger Mini Endurance Feat - Surpass my current walk/jog PR by at least 10%

* Ranger Mini Strength Feat - Surpass my current plank maximum time by at least 10% (9/18, 2:02) 9/24

* Ranger Mini Combat Feat - Arnis "espada y daga" form practice as an additional workout for the week, 30 minutes

DRAGON

Toads - These are obstacles that I need to overcome, actions I need to take or things that otherwise stand in the way of my tasks, projects, or missions.

* Compile list of of any uncompleted Toads from previous challenges and merge with current list

* Catch up on Correspondence

Rewards - Treats for hitting milestones and/or successful completion of various of my tasks, projects, or missions.

* New shower curtain and rings for main bath once I have completely decluttered and deep cleaned it.

• Like 7

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Women Fighters in Reasonable Armor

Inspiration for my Halloween Costume

• Like 4

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Following this time :) At least I want to join the accountabillity group again.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Excellent stuff! I'm following this time as well :)

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 1 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Knight Radiant/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 196#

Stats: MIGHT: 9 / CONSTITUTION: 6 / DEXTERITY: 8 / PERCEPTION: 7 / INTELLECT: 6 / RESOLVE: 10

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: The First Ideal

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Following. Love the women in reasonable armor idea.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Finally got some stuff posted for my Theme.

More story and details of the Challenge Missions coming up as soon as I can. Got a rush job that needs to be ready to launch Monday.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Following this time :) At least I want to join the accountabillity group again.

Hi, Luciana! Welcome to my odd little corner of Nerd Fitness. :)

Excellent stuff! I'm following this time as well :)

Wolf

Hey, Wolf! Great to have you here.

Following. Love the women in reasonable armor idea.

Welcome, Tanktimus. Always nice to have your positive attitude and smile around!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Btw, I'm really excited about your book and you making it a reality. I applaud you a thousand times- cuz I know it's gonna be a great read and I'm happy the world will see this as well.

Can't wait :)

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 1 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Knight Radiant/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 196#

Stats: MIGHT: 9 / CONSTITUTION: 6 / DEXTERITY: 8 / PERCEPTION: 7 / INTELLECT: 6 / RESOLVE: 10

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: The First Ideal

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

I'm really excited. I heard part of an interview with Jane McGonigal the other night on NPR and she has a new book coming out next week. "Super Better" is her distillation of years of research and work on using games to make the world a better place. Her earlier book, "Reality is Broken" was a big inspiration to me for getting back into programming.

Serendipity? The part of the interview that I heard was focused on how she worked on healing herself of post-trauma distress resulting from a severe concussion. The contention is that games and their very real effects on the body and mind can heal. What a breeze of fresh air into what has been becoming a stifling discussion of how to gamify work and school for the enrichment of the corporatists. It has become a realm filled with hucksters and Machiavellis drowning out the quieter voices for social good.

Downloaded the podcast and hope to hear the rest in the next day or so. Can't wait to get the book. It supposedly has over 100 quests that teach you how to design your own games, tons of neuroscience research, and more...

• Like 3

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I used to use the Super Better website ages ago. It was great for forming new habits, in very small bite-sized pieces. Great for if you have a huge mountain to achieve, like Jane did, and need to not be overwhelmed (and also get rewarded along the way, which is part of the point of gamification of course).

• Like 1

Valkyrie Assassin/Adventurer

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

Previous Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th

This is a pretty awesome looking challenge!  I really like how you build up a concept and universe here even within your challenge, thus bringing a taste of fantasy into reality.  Awesome stuff!

Following along and good luck on this journey!

• Like 1

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

med_gallery_17054_1393_15306.jpg

• Like 6

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I used to use the Super Better website ages ago. It was great for forming new habits, in very small bite-sized pieces. Great for if you have a huge mountain to achieve, like Jane did, and need to not be overwhelmed (and also get rewarded along the way, which is part of the point of gamification of course).

Hey, Cledbo! I'm hoping to have a little time this weekend to really look it over. Even though it's been helping me with habits, I've been getting pretty bored with HabitRPG/Habitica. I"m hoping that super Better and playing with a more fantasy=themed challenge can change that.

Loving this theme! Can't wait to see how it works out.

Hi, Emma! Me, too. I'm venturing back into the real of super=complicated challenges and don't know how well it will work. It should be interesting, either way, and I will gather data for next time! Techno-rangers love iteration...

Any chance of magical links for us common folk?

Common folk? I don't believe I have seen any common folk anywhere on these forums.

As to links, what kind would you like?

I've been mulling over posting some of my writing, but am not sure if the increased accountability might be at cross-purposes with my creative process. Probably depends on if I focus more on drafting or editing, and I haven't decided that.

Otherwise, be prepared for an avalanche of obscure Kabbalistic references and arcana, which probably would bore most people.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Following along for the awesome, fellow Renaissance Rebel  :D Love the theme and your goals! 

Thanks, spookyfoot! Always good to hear from fellow RenRebs.

This is a pretty awesome looking challenge!  I really like how you build up a concept and universe here even within your challenge, thus bringing a taste of fantasy into reality.  Awesome stuff!

Following along and good luck on this journey!

Hi, BlackTezca! Thanks. I'm playing around with a post-apocalyptic theme partly because of the Rangers mini-challenge, rather than sticking with something more like my novel writing. Curious to see how that works for a challenge.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hi, BlackTezca! Thanks. I'm playing around with a post-apocalyptic theme partly because of the Rangers mini-challenge, rather than sticking with something more like my novel writing. Curious to see how that works for a challenge.

Ohh that will be interesting!  Sounds like a lot of fun too! 

Also...Thank you for your memorial image on 09/11.  Never Forget. :)

• Like 1

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

I was talking about links regarding those books you mentioned, as well as the podcast. Yeah, I'm too lazy to google it on my own   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've had more than my fair share of Kabbala/arcana/alchemical stuff helping a friend work and playtest on his own RPG system, so fire away

• Like 1

Lvl 45 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

Ohh that will be interesting!  Sounds like a lot of fun too! 

Also...Thank you for your memorial image on 09/11.  Never Forget. :)

A day for remembrance and healing.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I was talking about links regarding those books you mentioned, as well as the podcast. Yeah, I'm too lazy to google it on my own   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've had more than my fair share of Kabbala/arcana/alchemical stuff helping a friend work and playtest on his own RPG system, so fire away

Ha! That dawned on me later when I wasn't anywhere close to a computer. We're both sort of fly by posting a lot. Can you believe how active the forum is? It's great!

Superbetter.com is the website. I think you'll have to go to your country's AppStore/iTunes to get find the podcast, if it is available outside the U.S., same for Amazon for the book. The podcast was originally aired by Marketplace, AMP (American Public Media), on Sept. 8th. Hopefully, the book and podcast have international distribution.

McGonigal's TED talk.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Really crazy schedule last two days. Glad it's still officially bye week. I'm taking it. Though I had planned an eight week stint, reality hacking needs more setup than I imagined. :)

Eating - Eh. Two days with a lot of meat. That will probably be it for this month. I didn't enjoy it. It was mainly for expediency's sake. Thursday was at a Hackathon and there were no vegetarian choices. (Chipotle catered, though so food quality was really good.) On Friday, we were out on an unplanned trip hunting for a used vehicle - screaming deal on Craigslist - but in a totally different part of town which meant off schedule and extremely hungry. So, we went to the only place we knew in the area, a Texas Roadhouse style BBQ restaurant. The sluggishness from eating there is still with me today. Blergh.

Getting plenty of sleep, things are going well on the business front (cash flow!), and some interesting prospects on the horizon. I took most of Friday off as I knew I'd be working this weekend to get a project out the door on Monday.

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Bye week is very necessary sometimes.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Lucid Dreaming Status Report

Last night I had a my first experience of lucid dreaming in a number of years, which I attribute to the last two weeks of preparatory work. I was driving something like a SMART car into my neighborhood grocery store and was figuring how to maneuver it to get between the Starbucks kiosk and the flower/gift shop area to be able to drive around the store when I became lucid. Yeah, weird. (And I wasn't the only one there was someone in another little car right ahead of me, trying do the same thing.) Dreams - sheesh.

I said to myself, "Hey, this is a dream and I'm lucid! Cool. Why the heck am I trying to drive this car in a grocery store?" I decided to roll with it, to try and deepen the state, but the question of why I was doing such a dorky thing kept interfering. That division of mindset seemed to be what woke me up.

It was fun to experience actual lucidity, however fleeting, this soon. While I have been having better overall dream recall and have been fairly consistent with my intention to become lucid while falling asleep, it hasn't been a huge focus, just something that I was doing as a simple practice. So, yeah, it's back and I have a basis on which to keep building.

The dreamwork also seems to be having other beneficial effects. I have noticed that I am having clearer thought processes immediately upon waking. It is becoming common to wake up with a decision made or a problem solved overnight without having spent a lot of time thinking about it beforehand. I am doing less ruminating - that ugly depression inducer - and my depression is continuing to improve. That, in turn, is leading to better sleep, which is a very welcome side effect.

• Like 6

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir