Chen Wangting - The Art of War

Chen Wangting

Hi! For those who are new. I'm a 35 year old computer programmer from northern germany. I train chen style taijiquan. It's a martial art from china. The better known druidic tai chi orginiated from it.

My introduction thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/65161-hello-from-germany/

My nickname is burrowed from a general. According to the historians he is guy who wrote the first text (in the 16th hundreds) about taiji. So as i like to geek out about china(been there 4 times), i thought a reference to sun tzu's classic would be a nice theme for my next challenge.

f-battle.jpg

Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand. Thus do many calculations lead to victory, and few calculations to defeat: how much more no calculation at all! It is by attention to this point that I can foresee who is likely to win or lose.

-Chapter 1 : Laying Plans

I want to make daily and weekly plans about what to cook and when to shop for groceries and i will post these plans on sundays. I want to make at least 4 Meals per week by myself. Like in the last challenge  i will post daily updates about how the day before went. With those updates i will post the goals for the next day. (As far as possible i will name specific times). On the next update i will report on the progress of those goals.

During the last challenge i started budgeting with ynab. I will note every expense every day of the challenge in ynab und do a full budget for oktober and november.

6NFzQier7l.jpg

There is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare.
- Chapter 2 : Waging war

During the Challenge i want to get all items on the following list done and of my mind, there were there for to long:
1. I hang my heavy bag mostly on a roof beam with a rope. From there it has to be taken down, when we are having a party in our flat. After this it takes me ages to set it up again. It at least want to hang it up again. But i will look for a more permanent solution.
2. Wrap up my Game of Thrones Tabletop RPG Campaign.
3. I need some new nice pictures of myself. Contact a photographer.
4. In November will be for a weekend in London and then travel to spain. I need to get this organized.    
5. I need to move my desk at home a bit.
6. I want attend a test lesson of an escrima school recently discovered.
7. My bookshelfs are completly full. I will comb through and sell books i don't need or read anymore.
8. My wardrobe needs an upgrade. I will sort through it and throw away or donate anything thats not used anymore.
9. I will take an exam for a specific programming certification.
10. Reconnect with a friend. Call him up.

china-mountains-landscape.jpg

Thus the energy developed by good fighting men is as the momentum of a round stone rolled down a mountain thousands of feet in height. So much on the subject of energy.
- Chapter 5 : Energy

To develop this energy i will need sleep, meditation and exercise.
1. I will sleep at least 7 hours everyday. Lights are out by 23:45.
2. I will meditate every day using headspace. At least 15 minutes. (This will be included in the daily goals).
3. I will do one short handform per day. (This will be included in the daily goals).
Also this last third point will be my focus area. If everything else fails i try to meditate everyday and to get my sleep.

So lets go to work... (Until Monday i might change these goals, im quite happy with them but who knows)...
df36NN8wnb39K.gifgsQqasQFWYMne.gif
  • Like 2

Updated my challenge text

Now I can follow, too. ^^

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Has anyone here ideas about what to combine with cottage chese or greek yoghurt for breakfast. I don't want to go for honey or marmelade.

I like it salty with cucumber. Or if you need a little sweetness you can add treacle (Rübensirup), or with a sliced apple with only a little sugar and cinnamon,  or add ajvar to spice it a little.

• Like 1

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Has anyone here ideas about what to combine with cottage chese or greek yoghurt for breakfast. I don't want to go for honey or marmelade.

Overnight Oats!!!  I love em.  Tasty and depending on how you make it, still really good for you.  And super easy in the morning. 

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

The art of war is on my list of must reads... right after I finish Starting Strength. Good luck with your upcoming challenge!

• Like 1

"You'll never leave where you are until you decide where you'd rather be."

Race: Hybrid Elemental Dragon Spirit || Class: Recruit following the Monks around

Attributes:  0 STR | 0 DEX | 0 STA | 0 WIS | 0 CHA | 0 CON

Track my first challenge here

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Suck it up and SHINE: Perfect my Morning Ritual daily

7%
7%

Become a Strong Lady Ninja 5-6 days/week

40%
40%

Become a Flexible and Agile Lady Ninja 2-3 days/week

36%
36%

Eat Real Food, 90-110g protein/day

41%
41%

More TCMA practitioners! I actually was working on the Chen Tai Chi form when I first started with NF--I ended up not having enough space for it during the winter and the crazy snow we had, and then I started up with Kung Fu. I really liked the Chen form. I found that it felt very real and very grounded.

Following along for Chinese Martial Arts goodness :D

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

More TCMA practitioners! I actually was working on the Chen Tai Chi form when I first started with NF--I ended up not having enough space for it during the winter and the crazy snow we had, and then I started up with Kung Fu. I really liked the Chen form. I found that it felt very real and very grounded.

Following along for Chinese Martial Arts goodness :D

Well, ni hao gungfu brother! What form did you do? And what kind of Kung Fu are you doing now?

I'm following, too - I'm doing Chen-related Tai Chi as well, and we're living in the same contry (I was born and grew up in the Weserbergland, so I'm almost a Nordlicht, depending on your point of view - nowadays I live in Franconia, so everything past Kassel is "The North" :D )

Hey, nice to meet you. Im curious about the style you do as well.

• Like 1

Ok, why not get the ball rolling....

Goals for tomorrow:

- 15 Minutes of meditation before work.

- Shopping groceries for the weekend.

- Calling my father after work and invite him to the cinema on sunday evening.

Planning Meals:

I will have a busy weekend. Got a taiji seminar on saturday and sunday. 6 hours of training each day. On Saturday there might be some party as well. So my breakfast and food for sunday have to be prepared on saturday evening. Will need

breakfast and lunch for both days. I think i will go with the following

Saturday:

Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs with dried tomatoes, garlic, basil, parmesano cheese

Lunch: Chicken fajitas and tortillia wraps

Sunday: Overnight oats

Lunch: Leftovers from Saturday

• Like 1

Well, ni hao gungfu brother! What form did you do? And what kind of Kung Fu are you doing now?

I had been working on the Chen Old Frame form, but only from video, unfortunately. Couldn't find a teacher anywhere nearby.

Now I'm practicing Hung Gar (Southern-style Kung Fu) under an excellent Sifu.

Challenges

I had been working on the Chen Old Frame form, but only from video, unfortunately. Couldn't find a teacher anywhere nearby.

Now I'm practicing Hung Gar (Southern-style Kung Fu) under an excellent Sifu.

Awesome... i think finding a great teacher is key. Lucky for you. I have seen some hung gar videos but never met anyone in person, who studies it. Whats it like from your point of view.

Nuts and dried fruit.  Bit of texture, bit of nutrition.  You can go salty or sweet on that one.  Cottage cheese is also nice with green onions or salt and pepper.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Ok, recap time...

Planning:

* Shopping for groceries: Check (I changed to the meal plan for the weekend a little. For breakfast ist both days scrambled eggs and cheese. Lunch ist greek joghurt with with a banana, and apple and nuts)

Todo:

* Calling my father after work and invite him to the cinema on sunday evening: Check (Cinema on tuesday)

Energy:

* Sleep: Check

* Meditation: Check

* 1x Shortform: Check

It was a bit of "go with the flow" yesterday. Tried to meditate after getting up. But got pulled out of it by a whatsapp message. After work i got out of the subway a few stopps earlier to walk home. I strolled a long the river and did my meditation at my favorite spot there and spontanously did my shortform right after it. Felt great.

Goals for today:

It will be a busy day because of the seminar. So i wont set to much goals.

* Do the meditation

* Get 7 hours of sleep

It was a bit of "go with the flow" yesterday. Tried to meditate after getting up. But got pulled out of it by a whatsapp message. After work i got out of the subway a few stopps earlier to walk home. I strolled a long the river and did my meditation at my favorite spot there and spontanously did my shortform right after it. Felt great.

Oh I remember this river. Sound like a great way to finish the day. I still habe to learn my form by heart. :/

Spoiler

Awesome... i think finding a great teacher is key. Lucky for you. I have seen some hung gar videos but never met anyone in person, who studies it. Whats it like from your point of view.

It's really focused on explosive power and lots of close-range hand and fist strikes. We use our legs for attacks sometimes, but normally our legs are focused on rooted stances while we make blinding and tearing attacks with the hands. My Sifu says that fighting a Hung Gar practitioner should be "like fighting a tiger in a phone booth". Up-close, personal and extremely dangerous. :)

• Like 2

Challenges