• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi everybody, I'm LydiaJaybird. You can call me whichever part of that you prefer. This isn't actually my first challenge, though...

About a year ago I did a couple challenges as ElfiKay - got up to running nine miles a week - but then I broke my foot. For a little while I tried to keep up with my diet and some non-foot-related workouts, but my foot took a long time to heal [and gave me a couple cruel periods of false hope where I thought it was better and then it got worse again... even got put back in my boot in February] and I lost heart. Stopped coming on here, stopped trying to diet, gained a bunch of weight, and got pretty depressed. Eventually my foot healed all the way back up and I was able to start running again this summer! But I had trouble keeping up with my runs, so I've come back to you lovely people with a new account.

CDYrIA9W8AEQCVT.jpg

During that whole messed-up foot time period I made a couple attempts at different low-impact exercises to stay in shape - pilates [got bored], rock climbing [discovered a fear of heights... while 80ft up a cliff], and pole dancing [LOVE ITTTT]. So now I have a new passion - very similar to my old passion, actually. I danced [ballet, jazz, hip-hop, etc] until partway through college, and quitting is one of my biggest regrets. So now I have dance back in my life and I couldn't be happier about it! Due to a bunch of stuff that'll take too long to get into, I actually had to quit classes, but I've got a pole in my living room now, so I can still workout on it and practice. Yay!

So now for the important bit - my quests for this challenge!

Main Quest - Lose 12 Pounds

I've managed to drop most of my broken-foot-moping weight, but not all... Right now I'm 2 pounds above what I was when I started in the forums last year... 12 pounds above where I was when I actually broke my foot :( So, I want to drop the rest of that weight. It's a lofty goal - I'll need to lose 2 pounds every week - but I think I can get there.

Goals

1. Pole Dance - Do two strength workouts a week on the pole and practice tricks at least one other day. I've already figured out an upper body workout for Tuesdays, and a core/lower body workout for Thursdays. I'll use Saturday for that extra practice day. I'm also going to try to start recording my practices so I can see what I need to work on and see my progress. Assuming that I don't look like a harpooned whale, I'll post those here for accountability and moral support (I'm super critical of myself when it comes to dance... I need to make sure I don't beat myself up too much over not being good. Calm down, me, I've only been doing this since January!) But we'll see, hahaha.

2. Run - Run three times a week, using the return to running progression that my physical therapist gave me.

3. Keep Calm and Keto On! - My roommate and I started the keto diet together a couple months back and I love it. We plan our meals and get groceries together - then she cooks and I do the dishes. And she's an AMAZING cook - everything she makes tastes like Jesus himself blessed it. The only pitfall that keeps tripping me up is that she isnt very reliable... On the weekends in particular she's more reliable at being unreliable than anything. Which is incredibly frustrating because she doesnt share the spices part of her recipes with me (she generally just makes it up on the spot anyways), just the ingredients that have nutritional value, so if I try to make them myself it tastes awful. Also, I generally won't find out that she's not making a meal until it's past time to eat, so then I'm really hungry and end up just eating whatever I can get my hands on. So I need to start being prepared to cook meals for myself on short notice. I figure if I keep some extra eggs and frozen vegetables in the fridge, then I'll always have a quick, keto-friendly meal on hand. If anybody else knows some fast and easy keto meals that I can throw together last minute when Roomie falls through, please let me know! The gradings for this goal are to stick to my calories and keep it keto, no matter what. [1645 calories or less, 25 carbs or less]

Life Quest

Work towards Employment! I graduated this May... but I can't get hired. :( So I'm a part-time cashier. [it's not a problem of qualification, I graduated as an honors student with a double major in International Business and Management and a double minor in Japanese and Portuguese. 3.5 GPA couldve been higher, but thats what I get for studying two languages.] But I've got to keep trying. I keep hinging on opportunities that seem like they'll turn into something, and then when they fall through, I haven't applied to anything new in weeks. Ex. I recently interviewed at a bank, and have a company that's emailed me asking for an interview, and out of positivity/confidence in one of those positions turning into something, I haven't applied to anything in two weeks. So I need to make sure that I'm constantly working towards getting a job, not just sitting around waiting. Every week, I need to be able to list concrete things I've done to try to get hired until I receive a job offer. No more twiddling my thumbs while I wait for responses.

Measurements

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 177.6

Waist: 30

Hips: 42.5

Grading

Each goal will be graded weekly & be worth 1/3 of that week's total grade. Each week I get the chance to earn a point of extra credit by completing my Life Goal, so that's up to six points of extra credit possible! My final grade will be the average of all six weeks plus my Life Goal extra credit. I need to make at least a C (70%) to pass the challenge.
Pole - percentage of completed workouts/practices.

Running - percentage of completed runs.

KCKO - 1 point each day for meeting calories and another point for meeting carbs. Total points/Total possible for the weekly grade.

Exceptions - If I'm sick or injured (please noooo not again!), then workouts are excused.

For rewards, I'm a little bit torn. Last year I rewarded myself with workout shirts/games, but right now I don't know if I can afford to do that. With my current situation, I'm on a very tight budget to avoid bleeding money from my savings on a monthly basis. I'd love to say that I'll buy myself some pole shorts or a new workout top, but I just dont know that I can afford it. I'd say that another good reward would be to let myself ask a weekend off to go hiking with Andy, my... uh... romantic interest? I hate modern dating..., but we're not allowed to ask off Fridays or Saturdays. Those are truck days. :( I could always completely cut extra spending during the month (what little I do... >.<) and use that to buy something? Idk, what do you all think?

• Like 2

Hey Lydia! I'm in a similar position. Did a few good challenges on here, and then stuff got in the way, so I've been off for ages. Rebooting with a new name is the way forward! And your challenges sound great. Pole dancing must be crazy fun - I don't have the strength to even start it! I'm trying to get back into running too. I'll be joining you in the Recruits, and really look forward to keeping up with your challenge, particularly the employment. Good luck!

• Like 1

Your goals are manageable and reasonable. I say you can make this happen. You seem motivated to do so.

Perhaps you can describe what keto is. I've heard about it and a friend lost weight with it, but I can't remember the details.

Pole dancing sounds like fun and it's good to have an exercise you enjoy doing. :) have a great challenge and good luck with your job hunt.

• Like 2

Hey Lydia, you've done a few challenges before, so I would recommend that you join a guild.  Recruits are mostly for orientation and I'm sure you know your way around a challenge and the NF boards ;) Is there any in particular you'd like to join?  I can wave my magic wand and transport you there. 

• Like 3

Hi Lydia, we have a bit in common!  I had got my long run up to 9 miles earlier this year and was training for a HM when I did something funny to my right calf and it has not been right since - I get pain round the top of my fibula if I run more than a couple of miles.  Very frustrating!  So in the meantime I've upped the strength training and started doing deadlifts, which I love!  

• Like 1

Yay, another keto! Following ^.^ 

Pole dancing! That's awesome! I'm so impressed by the acrobatics so many of the good dancers can pull off on a pole. I was just lamenting this weekend how I can't even do a cartwheel anymore. Do you have any links for good online resources? This seems like something that could be such a confidence booster also.

• Like 1

Pole dancing must be crazy fun - I don't have the strength to even start it!

You dont actually need any strength to start! The beginner stuff doesnt require you to hold yourself up, but it builds up your strength so you'll be able to later on. :)

Perhaps you can describe what keto is. I've heard about it and a friend lost weight with it, but I can't remember the details.

SUPER low-carb diet. it's all about keeping your body in ketosis, where you store energy with ketones as opposed to glycogen. You burn fat for fuel and maintain blood sugar levels by converting fatty acids into glucose, rather than constantly suffering insulin spikes, using carbs for energy, and storing fat. I highly recommend it! I've been doing it since June and I've lost 22 pounds so far, have more constant energy levels, and dont have to deal with cravings very often. Let me know if you want to know more! :)

Is there anything you don't like to eat or something you love? I collect different recipes and could search for something easy to make, if you give me some clues.

I don't like broccoli or zucchini (unless its zucchini noodles. also squash is fine.) I love peas and green beans. Bacon is glorious, but I'm terrible at cooking it :( Umm... my favorite meat is pork, followed by beef. But aside from the broccoli/zucchini deal, I love most all food.

Concerning ketogenic lifestyle -- I also live my life very low carb, but high fat and moderate in protein. In case you need specific recipes, let me know!

Just anything thats fast and easy to make! (Or anything that's delicious - I can pass the more difficult recipes on to my roommate)

Hey Lydia, you've done a few challenges before, so I would recommend that you join a guild.  Recruits are mostly for orientation and I'm sure you know your way around a challenge and the NF boards ;) Is there any in particular you'd like to join?  I can wave my magic wand and transport you there. 

Assassins!

Yay, another keto! Following ^.^ 

Pole dancing! That's awesome! I'm so impressed by the acrobatics so many of the good dancers can pull off on a pole. I was just lamenting this weekend how I can't even do a cartwheel anymore. Do you have any links for good online resources? This seems like something that could be such a confidence booster also.

YAASS! KETOERS UNITE. following back once I find you :)

I have ALL the online resources, hahahhaa. What specifically were you looking for? If you want to get into pole dancing, I'd recommend finding a studio near you where you can take classes - having a teacher when you're first learning is so helpful! There's plenty of self-taught dancers, but its a much slower, more frustrating road on your lonesome.

• Like 3

Wooo!!! *waves around all spastically* I'm so glad to see you back! With you back, you make me wanna come back. So I think I may just do that. Started a new job and all that jazz, so maybe it's time for something new.

I say you and me be accountability buddies or something. I believe we tried before, but it was during the time you hurt your foot, so it didn't really work.

Also, I am so jealous about the pole dancing! I wanna try pole, but I am so not comfortable enough in my own body yet to do that, yet. But some day! So glad you found it and like it, though :D

• Like 1

That's a good point about finding a teacher for a beginner, it makes sense that having someone point out things in your technique you could tweak while learning would be useful. I will have to keep an eye out.

I have two favorite dessert/snack recipes (or quick on the go breakfast, if I oversleep heh) for keto that you should pass on to your roommate. Neither are hard, exactly, to make, but they are a bit time intensive.

Keto Chocolate Roll Cake - if you don't have a silicon baking mat, parchment paper works fine, though you have to be more careful while rolling it. Also, I very rarely have coconut milk on hand, I've subbed almond milk and heavy cream fine for that part.

Almond Lemon Cakes - You don't have to have a muffin top pan, you can just use a regular muffin pan. The cakes will just be a little smaller (or perhaps potentially taller), so you'll probably have to modify the cooking time. Also, I didn't fry them or add lemon zest, cause I'm just not that ambitious, heh.

• Like 1

Hey!

Good luck with the challenge and fingers crossed the foot stays well!

Regarding the unreliable cook - I'm not sure how it would go with the type of foods you need for keto but maybe you could ask her to make a double batch occasionally and freeze the rest?  It's not ideal but it's better than having nothing healthy when you're starving and going for the closest (and probably unhealthiest) edible thing.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and dancing (I am very jealous, I haven't a single dancing gene in my body).

• Like 1

Keto? Congratulations on 22 lbs lost, that's very impressive.  :)    I'm also looking to lose 12 pounds this time around, it'll be intense, but well worth it.

Have you tried bacon in the oven?  It's ridiculously easy and has a minimal chance of burning (just take it out when finished).  here's what a quick google search brought up: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-perfect-bacon-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-107970

• Like 1

Wooo!!! *waves around all spastically* I'm so glad to see you back! With you back, you make me wanna come back. So I think I may just do that. Started a new job and all that jazz, so maybe it's time for something new.

I say you and me be accountability buddies or something. I believe we tried before, but it was during the time you hurt your foot, so it didn't really work.

Also, I am so jealous about the pole dancing! I wanna try pole, but I am so not comfortable enough in my own body yet to do that, yet. But some day! So glad you found it and like it, though :D

Yay! Join the challenge!

Let's do it :)

Whaat? No, go find a studio right meow! Pole dancing gives you confidence, you dont start with it, hahaha.

Keto? Congratulations on 22 lbs lost, that's very impressive.  :)    I'm also looking to lose 12 pounds this time around, it'll be intense, but well worth it.

Have you tried bacon in the oven?  It's ridiculously easy and has a minimal chance of burning (just take it out when finished).  here's what a quick google search brought up: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-perfect-bacon-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-107970

We can do it!

You can cook bacon in the oven? WHAT IS THIS BLACK MAGIC?!

Day 1 went pretty great! Went 1.45 miles on my run, drank 5 glasses of water, and when my roommate didnt make dinner, made my own & stayed under my calories and carbs! Yay! Here's hoping for more of the same for the rest of the week!

• Like 2

Today's run was 2.08 miles. Woot improvement. Also, I learned a new spin on pole! It's a pretty simple one, but its sooo pretty. I recorded myself, but as feared, I look like a harpooned whale, so I'm just going to share Dirdy Birdy's video where I found the spin to begin with.

• Like 3

yayyy here for the pole love  :love_heart:  :love_heart:

That is so awesome!! We can exchange nice tricks and hints, I am so excited

What kind of pole do you have at home? I have one too and am so happy about that

Glad you came back and that the injury made you discover the dancing love again, whooohooo

• Like 1

yayyy here for the pole love  :love_heart:  :love_heart:

That is so awesome!! We can exchange nice tricks and hints, I am so excited

What kind of pole do you have at home? I have one too and am so happy about that

Haha, I dont know that I'll have many tricks/hints to provide to you - I've only been poling since January. But ya never know! I might know something random that you don't, and I'll definitely appreciate any help I can get from you!

I have an X-Pert, chrome, 45mm. You?

• Like 1

very same pole with me :)

Oh, I am sure you have inspiration for me too. Had forgotten about that Angel Spin for instance that I saw on her fb page and had been meaning to try out. I am poling since 2 years now, but have been a slow learner and started with lots of mommy tummy and no strength whatsoever. So I learned to go slow and steady and am still enjoying lots of beginners moves. I find that doing a simple move clean and pretty can be quite tough as is ;)

Excited to share this journey together from here

• Like 1

Today's run was really tough for some reason... Maybe because I was running in the afternoon instead of the evening, so the heat was affecting me? Maybe because the only fuel I'd had at that point was two cheese sticks? Maybe because I stayed up late last night? Idk... But I was really struggling :( Didn't even make it a mile. I went two miles on Wednesday! What gives?! I've got work this evening, so that should boost my distance for the Order of the Stick Challenge (& give me walking distance I for the Assassin Challenge), but it's still gonna be kinda low. :(

very same pole with me :)

Oh, I am sure you have inspiration for me too. Had forgotten about that Angel Spin for instance that I saw on her fb page and had been meaning to try out. I am poling since 2 years now, but have been a slow learner and started with lots of mommy tummy and no strength whatsoever. So I learned to go slow and steady and am still enjoying lots of beginners moves. I find that doing a simple move clean and pretty can be quite tough as is ;)

Excited to share this journey together from here

Speaking of inspiration, you should look back on the first page of my challenge for a video I posted earlier this week. One of my favorite polers!

I've been at it for 8 months now and only recently got my fireman to look really pretty and clean, haha. Was able to do it first go, but man was it ugly!

• Like 1

GREAT NEWS!!! I've been asked to teach the beginner classes at my old pole studio! And they'll let me rejoin my old class for free since I'll be a teacher!! I'm not sure if I'm going to get paid, or if its just an exchange a class for a class type deal, but I dont care! I get to go back to class!! I'm also amazed that they asked me... Im not the most advanced student there. [Honestly, I'm a little nervous that I won't be good enough to inspire the new students... I can definitely show them and teach them the beginner stuff, but other than that...? Idk] But they said that its because I've got a background in dance and am therefore familiar with how dance classes are run in addition to the fact that I not only can do the moves, but always do them safely. IM SO EXCITED!!! [i hope I dont fuck up... hahaha. Gotta start training extra hard now!]

• Like 4