O.K., so the last challenge may not be my most excellent of accomplishments. Crashed and burned, and the flames were spectacular ;). Lessons learned: I bit off way more than I could chew. As a result, I've stepped back to see what when wrong and where, and decided I need to fix a few foundational issues in order to reach my bigger goals.

First off, I need to remember my bigger goals:

1: Strong Arms: I want those Deltoids to be showing all the time. :) I'm getting there...

2. 20% body fat. I'm not currently overweight, but I've got the typical mom sqiggliness (and yes that is a technical term). I want lean and hard.

3. To feel good about myself. This one is a bit more ephemeral, but it would be damn nice to wake up in the morning and like who I am, and feel proud of what I choose to do with my life. I don't exactly know the benchmark for this one, but I'll know it when I get there. ;).

So on to this challenge's goals:

In order to get to that magic number of 20% body fat, I've got to eat right. The last challenge, I didn't count my calories, and tried to schedule making recipes when in fact I just didn't have the time. I ended up stress eating, and deviating from my gluten free - vegan regimen. I've paid dearly as a consequence. So I'm eating some humble pie, and going back to the basics:

Goal 1: 1410 calories per day. (Vegan and gluten free) and only ONE new recipe per week (probably during the weekend).

Moving on...

Last challenge, I tried to schedule using the gym. My mistake was to focus on the where rather than the what. The point is that the location doesn't matter, I just need to get the cardio in. Guess what, my gym was too far away to be useful. And it turns out, I don't particularly enjoy going to the gym to exercise like a hamster in a wheel all the time.

My workout routines have a pretty set schedule, but I only have a few precious windows of opportunity to get my cardio in. I'm still struggling with this pesky tendinitis issue, so the cardio is going to have to remain light on my feet.

Goal 2: 20 minutes of cardio 6 days a week (from past challenges I've learned that I need at least one day off). My time is extremely limited because of my work schedule, classes I'm taking, soccer schedules for my son..... My wish is that using my lunch break to get my cardio in will be a good habit, both for my physical strength, and as a good method for dealing with stress caused by work. So, I've joined a gym that is closer to my work BUT I also want to be able to spend some time outside. The town I live in just recently finished a walking trail close to work. The plan is to spend my lunch break either going for a walk, or going to the gym. If all else fails, I can use my treadmill at night before going to bed. Ultimately it's about the what I do, and not about where I do it, that is important.

And just because I would feel totally bad ass if I could do it:

Goal 3: I want to be able to do 20 push-ups (knee) for each of my 3 sets during my workouts. This is just a nice and simple physical goal that is easy to work on (since my workouts are already scheduled anyway), and it will get me closer to having those deltoids I so covet. Currently my "A day" I do 16 push-ups per set, and my "B day" is 12 reps of triceps push-ups per set.

And last but not least, my life quest goal... I think the biggest lesson learned during my last challenge is that my life is a mess. A great big physical obstruction to my goals. Last challenge I was supposed to vacuum every day, but I've got so much crap in my way that I couldn't get anything done! As I said above, my time is extremely limited right now, and I don't have the hours it takes to clean my house as it stands in my current state. So this challenge I'm getting rid of a whole bunch of crap I don't need! :)

Goal 4: I'll be participating in the PVP minimalist game. It's only is supposed to last for 30 days, but when it's done I still want to get rid of something every day. I don't think my home will be minimalist in a true sense, but it should be a lot less cluttered when this challenge is all said and done. and THEN I can start thinking about keeping my house clean and vacuumed ;).

So that me, miss eager beaver, ready to start this challenge, like NOW ;), I'll be using this "off week"as a test run for my schedule to see if I'm being realistic with my goals...

Good luck everyone! Happy challenging! ;)

• Like 4

Following. Those are really good, realistic goals. Make sure the humble pie has a gluten-free crust!

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Following. Those are really good, realistic goals. Make sure the humble pie has a gluten-free crust!

But the burnt bits are the tastiest ones! :-P

Lol :). If only the rest of the pie didn't taste like s***. That's probably a good thing though, because I don't think I'll go for seconds! ;)

How I wish I had a picture of a mud pie right about now :).

• Like 2

Nice trial run today.

My calorie count was spot on. I had lots of time to prep in the morning. So we'll see how tomorrow's chaos affects things...

I went for a walk at lunch. The small walking trail was absolutely delightful! A little bit short, but there is another trail it connects to across the road, so I know that next time I can go farther. It was difficult pulling away from work and the mindset of "just one more thing I gotta do," but I'm sooooo glad I went! :).

Not related to anything else, but I had a great time in pottery class tonight. I finally managed to throw what looks to be some promising mugs on the pottery wheel. They're all almost the same size and shape, so it looks like I was actually doing something on purpose instead of producing lots of happy accidents. It was a nice way to end the day :) now I just have to figure out what Ranger pottery looks like so that I can try to make some. (Because all things must be Ranger related somehow ;)). maybe I should go with the minimalist theme and have one plate, one cup, and one bowl for each member of my family, and then ditch the rest of the store bought stuff! :)

• Like 1

Lol :). If only the rest of the pie didn't taste like s***. That's probably a good thing though, because I don't think I'll go for seconds! ;)

How I wish I had a picture of a mud pie right about now :).

Ask and ye shall receive!

MaggiesMudPie.jpg

• Like 1

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

So I'm reading lots of posts and my brain is going a mile a minute...

"Ooh, that's a good one," ... "That's cool,"... "I should try that one," "if I could do that someday, I would feel bada** awesome!,"....

Everyone is so inspiring!

Long day today. Workout at 5 am, long day at work, soccer practice after school, and then helping with homework....I'm finally getting some down time around 9 pm.

Calories were good today, and I went for another walk....

Random insight into my life:

I get to pull the fire drills for school, so it's always a fun day when I get to pull the alarm. Sometimes I let someone else do it, because it's fun being allowed to do "something you're not supposed to". Even if pulling the alarm for a drill is perfectly legit, it still has a bit of an adrenaline rush ;).

I'm off to read a few more posts before my eyes shut down.

Night everyone!

• Like 2

Yikes, long day! I know how those feel. Kudos to you for getting your workout in first thing in the morning: I know if I put mine off until just about any other time, it's a million times harder to get myself to do it.

Also, next time you let someone pull the fire alarm, you should shout, "Pull the lever, Kronk!"

pull_the_lever_kronk_by_naga07-d3h3pb2.g

And then when the alarm goes off:

tumblr_inline_mg4xgfLR011qf0bma.gif

• Like 1

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Last challenge, I tried to schedule using the gym. My mistake was to focus on the where rather than the what. The point is that the location doesn't matter, I just need to get the cardio in. Guess what, my gym was too far away to be useful. And it turns out, I don't particularly enjoy going to the gym to exercise like a hamster in a wheel all the time.

It's great that you learned something.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Phew, we'll make this short and sweet, 'cause it's late.

Day started at 5am, got home at 10 pm. If I thought yesterday wa long, today just knocked me on my a**!

No workout today, but I did go to the gym during my lunch break. It was raining today, and I didn't feel like getting drenched. Though usually I like a good walk in the rain. Everything seems different somehow (other than the fact that everything is obviously wet!). Colors are richer, the air smells better, the sounds are different.....

Anywhoooo, I didn't want to have to go back to work looking like a drowned cat. So the gym it was...

I ate a little bit more food than planned. Extra carrots and grapes, but I can live with that. I needed some energy between my classes, and I didn't get to eat dinner until after I got home.

I'm completely exhausted now. But it was a good day! :) I've got no idea what my energy level will be like tomorrow morning. This schedule/routine is going to take some getting used to!

Goodnight! :)

There's nothing wrong with a bit of extra fruits and vegetables.  (Well, excessive amounts might yield too much natural sugars.)

Watch your energy levels.  Too much pushing yourself during the week might mean that the best use of the weekend is napping.

• Like 1

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Fruits and veggies for energy is always a good idea. Beats the snot out of energy drinks or candy. Hope today is easier on you.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Challenge looks great. Gym location is tough. I struggle with that more during the summer when I'm not working because I chose a gym more convenient to work than home. 

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

So I've been walking during lunch.... Our town has been building a lot of "greenways," recently - basically paved paths along local streams and the river where they can't build anything else...so they turn it into a park.

I'm discovering that there are actually some really pretty picturesque little venues along these walks. I set my phone timer for 10 minutes, plug in my tunes and walk at a decent pace, turn when the alarm goes off, and head back. It's only a three minuite drive from work, but I'm walking through wooded paths, and crossing footbridges over rocky streams... I don't have time in my schedule for full blown hikes, so this little taste of nature in the middle of my work day is nice.

I feel a little bit silly, because people around here are so car-centric. Seriously, I've seen people drive their cars across a parking lot rather than walk. But I figured that they made the damn paths, someone might as well use them! ;). I hesitated at first when I had to stop 4 lanes of traffic at a crosswalk, but then I would have told my kids that that's what the crosswalk is for.... So I went ahead and carried on. :)

I didn't do my workout this morning. I've resheduled for tomorrow morning. I was feeling a little mentally burned out, so I let myself take it easy this morning and this afternoon. I know from experience that trying to do too much, too perfectly will set me further back when I inevitably break down from the stress. It looks like Saturday mornings will be my new workout morning, instead of Friday. I'm glad I've had this week as a test run.

Calories were close. I've also realized that with such a tight schedule this semester, I'm going to have to be very diligent about planning and preparing my meals! I kind of had a peanut butter-from-the-spoon fest when I got home, because I didn't have anything planned or ready to eat when I got home. It's the worst time of the day for me. I usually walk through the door when I get home and head straight for the kitchen... It's been my habitual way to unwind, and replacing the habit is really tough for me. I stopped as soon as I realized what I was doing, and it turns out I wasn't really hungry for dinner, so the total caloric consumption for the day balanced out pretty well in the end.

Now I'm just twiddling my thumbs until Monday. I can't wait to start getting rid of a whole bunch of crap! The hardest part for me isn't going to be finding stuff to get rid of, it's going to be starting off with getting rid of only a few things each day!

In the mean time, I'm off to read more posts... And fantasize about awesome amazing ranger Halloween costumes. :) (translation: trolling Pinterest for at least three hours.... ;))

'Night :)

• Like 1

Way to use week zero to tweak your goals. Loved the She-Ra gif. By the Wisdom of Grayskull, you are going to nail this challenge.

• Like 1

Yay for stopping traffic to use the crosswalk.

Maybe you could have snacks prepared for when you get home?

The getting rid of 30 items in 30 days... If you can find thirty items in the first day, you've passed.  You could get rid of however much you want as fast as you want and win.

• Like 1

Humble pie sucks, but unfortunately it is a necessary nutritional supplement from time to time.  At least you're aware of that and are putting your best foot forward.

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik 'Hav0k' Harrgath, Blademaster Adept and shadow-running Ronin extraordinaire.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Trying to go to sleep and I can't :). I'm all wound up and excited about tomorrow!

:) :) :)

My hubby is rolling his eyes at me. He's wondering why I can't get rid of all the piles of stuff in the garage in one go instead of dolling it out over the next 30 days.... Can't say I blame him for thinking I'm nuts, but I wanna play the game! :) I've already gotten rid of a whole load, if I did it again I'm afraid I might not be able to finish... (Miss snarky in my head is telling me I probably have enough crap to play the game five times over;)).

It would make it more challenging though.....hummmmm. Gotta think about that.

• Like 2

Trying to go to sleep and I can't :). I'm all wound up and excited about tomorrow!

:) :) :)

My hubby is rolling his eyes at me. He's wondering why I can't get rid of all the piles of stuff in the garage in one go instead of dolling it out over the next 30 days.... Can't say I blame him for thinking I'm nuts, but I wanna play the game! :) I've already gotten rid of a whole load, if I did it again I'm afraid I might not be able to finish... (Miss snarky in my head is telling me I probably have enough crap to play the game five times over;)).

It would make it more challenging though.....hummmmm. Gotta think about that.

I'm pretty excited about the minimalism game too.  If you have enough stuff to toss, you could always keep going through the game for as many days as you can beyond the first 30. 

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik 'Hav0k' Harrgath, Blademaster Adept and shadow-running Ronin extraordinaire.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Five pounds in six weeks is very realistic.

So, didn't want to do my cardio today. I think I tried on every excuse I could, but in the end nothing quite fit right....so I went and did the rowing machine at the gym. I timed it perfectly: 5 min drive to the gym, 20 min doing cardio, 5 min. drive back to work. I've only got 30 min for my lunch break, so I've got to make it count. (I eat my actual lunch at my desk earlier in the day).

Calories for the day: 1400 exactly. No recipes made...convenience is the word of the day when I start my day with a workout at 5 am. ;). Since I wasn't in the habit of counting my calories for the last challenge, little nibble sessions worked their way back into my habits. It was tough to stick with the plan today. But I know I've done it before, so I know I can do it again...

I did 17 push-ups (knee) for each of my 3 sets during my workout this morning. I don't know if I was the heightened sense of starting a new challenge, or if I was just rested enough, but I found them to be quite do-able. The last set was a bit shaky, but I was proud of myself for finishing :)

And last but not least, I finally got to get rid of something. I picked the tackiest thing I could find :). The spirit in the pvp is really great. I think many of us are chomping at the bit to go purging berserk. :). It's hard to hold back, especially when the decisions have already been made to get rid of so much. I think we've all been conditioning ourselves to follow through with our choices about how we want to level up our lives. It's hard to take it slow when there is such an attainable goal. :)

On a completely different topic, just for kicks...

I try very hard to teach my children responsibility... Every morning car ride starts with, "do you have your lunch?, do you have your backpack?,do you have your shoes...." Well, guess who forgot her laptop, and the thing she promised to bring in for a co- worker, and to order her son's lunch? Yeah, that was me. I think I was over excited about getting rid of my things for the day;).

Night everyone!

• Like 1