• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Urgan

Urgan Storms In With Section 9

Woot!  I'll be cheering you on as usual. :D  The door is always open when you want to visit us~

You better keep an eye on that door, lulz~....

• Like 1

I'm going to go for that massage and evaluate the back situation carefully. If I still feel uncomfortable after my deload, I may have to take Additional Measures--gently, as I think what I need first and foremost is extended recovery time for all the muscles that are pissed off at me. I'm not close-minded to the idea if I have a problem that can't be fixed with time and mobilization, I just don't take advice from random strangers, and gym dude qualifies. What would you do if you had a worn-out back you were trying to min-rehab? 

Not a problem I've had, but the rest/deload (maybe with something like yoga?) sounds like a good plan if the muscles aren't happy. TM is pretty taxing.

I'll second raptron--I also do direct core training, though probably not as much as I should. No sit-ups, though--my go-to exercises (as you've probably seen) are planks, leg raises, and back extensions (if we're counting lower back as core). Strengthening core might be good pre-hab. JDanger has a great post about core work somewhere in the forum...

• Like 1

Not a problem I've had, but the rest/deload (maybe with something like yoga?) sounds like a good plan if the muscles aren't happy. TM is pretty taxing.

I'll second raptron--I also do direct core training, though probably not as much as I should. No sit-ups, though--my go-to exercises (as you've probably seen) are planks, leg raises, and back extensions (if we're counting lower back as core). Strengthening core might be good pre-hab. JDanger has a great post about core work somewhere in the forum...

The funniest response I got regarding core training came from TW.  She said for core training, she does deadlifts and front squats.  :P  Then she went on to say core training is boring and talked about coming up with little games to play to make it more interesting.  (So yeah.  My simple question got TrollWeazeled.  But I am too lazy atm to find and link the post.

As for direct core work... I'd argue that it's actually important to do it in addition to heavy lifting and there are a lot of schools of thought out there that echo mine -- especially if you are having hypermobility issues with your lower back/extensors. HOWEVER, sit-ups? No. And that guy? Like triple no. Go away, guy. 

One interesting thing JDanger said in his "Do your Damn Abs" post was something about listening to what a gymnast has to say about the subject.

Next up is the list of cool things gymnasts can do that I might one day be able to do.

• Like 1

When I was squatting, I was getting back fatigue as well as a result of back hyperextension and over-engaging my extensors instead of relying on the rest of the posterior chain to take care of things. I feel as though isometric ab work that does NOT require you to be active with your extensors would be beneficial -- see dead bugs + potentially planks if you are very deliberate about position and keep a nice straight body instead of an over-extended back. Hollow holds while lying on your back are also hugely beneficial, though do require actual extensor activation, so maybe not the best while rehabbing.

But yeaaaah, figuring out back issues/fixing that would be priority 1 and only after that should you even bother trying to add in front core work. I would hazard a guess that you also over-rely on your back. Look into some exercises that make you deliberately disengage your back while using other muscles. 

One interesting thing JDanger said in his "Do your Damn Abs" post was something about listening to what a gymnast has to say about the subject.

Next up is the list of cool things gymnasts can do that I might one day be able to do.

When I was squatting, I was getting back fatigue as well as a result of back hyperextension and over-engaging my extensors instead of relying on the rest of the posterior chain to take care of things. I feel as though isometric ab work that does NOT require you to be active with your extensors would be beneficial -- see dead bugs + potentially planks if you are very deliberate about position and keep a nice straight body instead of an over-extended back. Hollow holds while lying on your back are also hugely beneficial, though do require actual extensor activation, so maybe not the best while rehabbing.

But yeaaaah, figuring out back issues/fixing that would be priority 1 and only after that should you even bother trying to add in front core work. I would hazard a guess that you also over-rely on your back. Look into some exercises that make you deliberately disengage your back while using other muscles. 

Yeah, since I can't tell what's fatigue, knots, poor form, or underutilized muscles, it's gonna be a process of elimination to get down to the brass tacks of what I'm doing wrong. I am noticing less soreness sitting upright for extended periods of time, so improvements are happening. 120lbs is my test case. If I hyperextend getting back to that weight with no other symptoms and all clear from my massage therapist, I know for sure I have a problem. I also have a theory that the chins didn't help some of my muscular issues. 

Smug gym bros are the worst, ugh, but at least he backed off when he saw that he was getting out of line. Ugh ugh ugh.

But eeeeeeeeeee, swords things!! I'll definitely be following along your adventures with that one! Exciting!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Smug gym bros are the worst, ugh, but at least he backed off when he saw that he was getting out of line. Ugh ugh ugh.

But eeeeeeeeeee, swords things!! I'll definitely be following along your adventures with that one! Exciting!!!!!!!!!!

He is older, ergo I should just do whatever he says. Yeah, doesn't work that way when you take in information and put it through its paces to make sure it's wise and fits my goals. My goals, gym bro. Not yours. 

I know, I'm still kinda pinching myself over here! The new challenge threads are so totally up now!! Here's mine! AGH! Here we go!

• Like 1