Urgan Storms In With Section 9

Urgan

Awesome job kicking last week in the face. Hope the upper body yoga and openers helps out. 

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Oddly enough, that Yoga for the Upper Back video in the mini challenge really helped my shoulder issue.

Just a thought.  And I need to make my monitors higher... hmm.... I have to have some textbooks around somewhere.

Stacks of printer paper.

I am actually down a bit from my target weight, but it's more or less acceptable. Sometimes, to make calories, you have to get a little...creative. Isn't that a weird situation to be in, where you have to stuff your face even when you aren't hungry just to not lose weight? 

It's a blessing and a curse.

My shoulder is feeling a little wonky today (due to tight traps, 90% sure) and I can't find my lacrosse ball!! :(

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Stacks of printer paper.

A textbook definition of a cheap fix...

It's a blessing and a curse.

My shoulder is feeling a little wonky today (due to tight traps, 90% sure) and I can't find my lacrosse ball!! :(

Yeah, it sounds great to have license to Eat Everything In Sight until you're full and still 2-300 calories shy.

It might be more like shoulder causing the tight traps, if what Kelly Starrett says about the typical cause of shoulder dysfunction applies. That is, internally rotated shoulder(s)/slouching in general. Whatcha think? I didn't even really think of my shoulder's full involvement with the back issues until I put a tennis ball under my scapula/spine area then tried to raise my arm over my head. Ow. Upper trap, delts, and mid-trap chorus of OW.

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Time to head to the copy room to abscond with stacks of printer paper.  Totally wasn't me.

That tennis ball thing you're talking about doing? SO been there.  OW OW OW. It helps though! 

Other painful thing: I also found leaning against the wall with my arm across my chest, running the ball along the edge of my shoulder blade to be gloriously painful. Found some nice knots/trigger points that way. Hold the ball on the ouchie, move arm through as much of an ROM as you can handle.... ouch, but worth it.  I might close my office door and do that after I get some printer paper...

• Like 1

Goal: Deadlift a (Female) Wookie (100 kg): 65.8%

Time to head to the copy room to abscond with stacks of printer paper.  Totally wasn't me.

Go go go!

That tennis ball thing you're talking about doing? SO been there.  OW OW OW. It helps though! 

Other painful thing: I also found leaning against the wall with my arm across my chest, running the ball along the edge of my shoulder blade to be gloriously painful. Found some nice knots/trigger points that way. Hold the ball on the ouchie, move arm through as much of an ROM as you can handle.... ouch, but worth it.  I might close my office door and do that after I get some printer paper...

Soul sister. That was me on Friday night and Saturday 100%. 

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

We're like pain twins. We've gotta stop the shoulder pain so we can be like, lifting/eating/awesome twins or something.  Pain twins is no fun.

Also, the copy room was out of paper. Like what? What kind of office IS THIS?!?!?!?!?!

Well, technically there was still paper in the machine. But none like, lying around.  And no, I am not going to take paper out of the printer to raise my monitor. Maybe there's some in the other office supply room..... HR won't notice if I take their paper, right?

• Like 1

We're like pain twins. We've gotta stop the shoulder pain so we can be like, lifting/eating/awesome twins or something.  Pain twins is no fun.

Also, the copy room was out of paper. Like what? What kind of office IS THIS?!?!?!?!?!

Well, technically there was still paper in the machine. But none like, lying around.  And no, I am not going to take paper out of the printer to raise my monitor. Maybe there's some in the other office supply room..... HR won't notice if I take their paper, right?

We can be both in the meantime, can't we, lol?

You're just borrowing it...right?

High five!

Hey, you're more productive when you're not wracked with pain, so.....the cost of the paper is negligible and still completely usable if they wanna give you something else. 

I think we get more office supplies on Tuesdays, so I may just wait until I come back into the office Wednesday.

I only have like an hour and a half left today anyway. SO ready to go home. Maybe I'll make brownies tonight... calories. Yum.

There you go. Go get those calories. All of them.

• Like 2

WEEK 4 DAY 1!

tumblr_nuofsjyPX41qjdg9po2_540.gif

Blessed rest day calm...

Makoto

Walk:      1.15 mi @ 20:58

Squat:    NA

OHP:      NA

BP:         NA

Deadlift:  NA

Chins:   NA

The hit parade: right shoulder/upper back

Not much here, it was a rest day, full stop. Did eke out a walk today, so there was that. Work is stressing me out a lot less, however I had to take Harley to the vet to get fixed, so that was...interesting. Poor thing had no coordination all evening, but he also had no pain, so it's worth it to have him returning to his kittenhood behaviors of flopping on the floor in lieu of correcting course properly.

Batou

Calories (2150-2650) - 2,267

Milk Consumed - 1/7 

Junk Consumed - 0/4

Updated specs - Sunday!

Meh. Not the best numbers ever, but I did the best I could. We made broccoli and sausage pasta casserole again...it was much appreciated.

Togusa 

Mobility - 1/5

Moisturize - 2/14

Hands       - 0/1  

Curfew!    - 1/5

Max Energy - 1/5

I did the band-less portion of

, as it is the best, most painful thing ever. I made sure to do left and right, even though the left side isn't bothering me. Hurt nearly as much. I then flipped over and put the ball between shoulder joint and chest and that was super tight as well. Whew. Gonna be doing this a lot....

Saito

Cat hair - 0/4 

Cat claws - 0/3

Junk mail - 0/1

Nope~

Tachikomas!

Read something - 0/3

Nothing yet

It's tough, but I'm making some progress--which I shall post momentarily. Intensity Day is a high bar to clear, but it helps when you don't miss days, lol...

I remember intensity day being... intense. Changing your rep scheme to sets of 3 might help down the road.

It might be more like shoulder causing the tight traps, if what Kelly Starrett says about the typical cause of shoulder dysfunction applies. That is, internally rotated shoulder(s)/slouching in general. Whatcha think? I didn't even really think of my shoulder's full involvement with the back issues until I put a tennis ball under my scapula/spine area then tried to raise my arm over my head. Ow. Upper trap, delts, and mid-trap chorus of OW.

Are you including tight pecs in the shoulder dysfunction culprits? Those can cause a massive case of slouchy-ness and mess up your upper back. The massage therapist I went to a few times liked to release pecs first, and then work on the upper back for that reason.

In case you haven't already stumbled across it, this MWOD for pecs is killer. As in delightfully painful and helpful.

• Like 1

I remember intensity day being... intense. Changing your rep scheme to sets of 3 might help down the road.

Do you think this is a thing one should do after a certain point when progress stalls or right away to get ahead of the curve?

Are you including tight pecs in the shoulder dysfunction culprits? Those can cause a massive case of slouchy-ness and mess up your upper back. The massage therapist I went to a few times liked to release pecs first, and then work on the upper back for that reason.

In case you haven't already stumbled across it, this MWOD for pecs is killer. As in delightfully painful and helpful.

Yes, front of shoulder and the portion of the pecs that are adjacent to them are definitely in the mix. I will definitely do this thing. 

Do you think this is a thing one should do after a certain point when progress stalls or right away to get ahead of the curve?

Either would probably work at this point. Rippetoe recommends that women switch when they start to stall during the linear progression. I ended up carrying over the 5 rep scheme to TM for some lifts, though, because I had recently de-loaded those lifts due to ouchiness/injuries and that rep scheme was still comfortable for the slower, weekly progression. Also, like most, I stalled earlier on the upper body lifts, so I needed to switch earlier for those.

If you do switch, I believe the volume day set-up is 3x6 (reps x sets), but you can experiment with the number of sets based on how you recover and what you need to drive progress on intensity day.

Hope that helps you milk some more out of TM! If you have more questions, I can dig out Practical Programming--it's a great resource for the program.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm definitely seeing slowdown in the presses...hm. I could definitely give this a try to see what it buys me, surely more than I will soon be getting if the returns keep diminishing at the current rate. * coughs *

• Like 1

Freakin' kstarr, the mobility-torturer. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Freakin' kstarr, the mobility-torturer. 

#truth

@Alanna - I am a fool. I somehow--SOMEHOW, God help me--misunderstood you and did a silly thing today. It will not happen again. That is all.

#truth

@Alanna - I am a fool. I somehow--SOMEHOW, God help me--misunderstood you and did a silly thing today. It will not happen again. That is all.

Now I wanna know what happened....

Also I went into the pain cave. But my shoulder is better! +1 ROM

Tight pecs. It's a problem.

WEEK 4 DAY 2!

tumblr_nsmn8hTAej1segdeeo8_r1_540.gif

Pay no heed to the warning signs...

Makoto

Walk:      1.23 mi @ 21:07

Squat:    45 @ 2x5

65 @ 1x5 

80 @ 1x3

95 @ 1x2

110 @ 1x1

123 @ 3x6

OHP:     45 @ 1x3 

52 @ 1x6

52 @ 2x5

BP:         NA

Deadlift:  164 @ 1x5

Chins:   3x4

The hit parade: right shoulder/upper back

Okay, if it's not apparent what I did, I took 3x6 and attempted it, which...aside from the fact that the instructions were explicitly written--and I quote:

volume day set-up is 3x6 (reps x sets)

--was the reverse of the whole point of our conversation. Had I stopped to think for half a second, this might have occurred to me in the gym. As it was, I figured it out halfway in and said, screw it. Attempted to complete it just out of stubbornness. OHP wasn't having that. I just did my normal thing with deadlift as well, because at this point why not.

So, to prove I have belatedly gotten the point of the thing, here is my programming for the remainder of the week, excluding warm-up sets and the chins I will be doing at home. 

Thurs (Rest)

Squat 3x3 @ 111

BP 3x3 @ 60

Sat (Intensity)

Squat 1x3 @ 147.5

OHP 1x3 @ 60

DL 1x3 @ 185

To be perfectly honest, even with the reduction of reps, this scares me. I hope I can pull it off. I've only been able to manage one rep OHP @ 60 lbs. One. I need to have grown a good deal in the last three weeks...

Batou

Calories (2150-2650) - 2,306

Milk Consumed - 2/7 

Junk Consumed - 1/4

Updated specs - Sunday!

Not my finest hour, but better than yesterday. We made an odd thing for dinner, BLT fried rice...I used diced tomatoes and onion salt instead of onions + salt because #lazy, and snuck in a few drops of toasted sesame seed oil, otherwise followed directions. We found it to be a bit salty--not unpleasant to eat, just that it caused us to drink more with dinner than is typical--but it turned out well. I was a little skeptical, TBH.  

Togusa 

Mobility - 1/5

Moisturize - 4/14

Hands       - 0/1  

Curfew!    - 2/5

Max Energy - 2/5 - 7 hrs

No mobility today, but I did get my butt in bed earlier than usual today because I was WIPED. OUT. Badly needed. Still woke up late. Ah, recovery is bizarre.   

Saito

Cat hair - 0/4 

Cat claws - 0/3

Junk mail - 0/1

Nope~

Tachikomas!

Read something - 0/3

Nothing yet

In news unrelated to being an idiot, I have figured out my challenge theme and goals...and stuff...

There is a secret project in the works as well. Very early stages. Very secret.

• Like 2

There is a secret project in the works as well. Very early stages. Very secret.

OOoOOoOOoooOooo.  Interested~

Seems like lots of folks are laying groundwork for secret projects.  (Self included!!)

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru