Spidermonkey thinks like a Shark

Fortuositea

Week 2, Day 1

Goal #2: Keep Moving! Got in ten pushups, but I want to do more. Is ten a day enough to see a difference in six weeks? I was planning a yoga workout after my run last night. Listened to my body instead of my brain & just took it easy. While I'm at work, I'm super motivated to do stuff but obviously can't do the things, and then when I get home, all I want to do is veg. Must be a mental thing. 

Oh that happens to me too.  I have to keep moving when I get home and it is hard.  If I sit for more than a couple minutes talking to someone and loving on our dog and cat then I get nothing done.  I can sit a tiny bit and then tell myself I can do more after I get things done including strength work.  I can not tell you have many time I had amazing plans/intentions only to see them go "poof" by the time I get home.  Better yet I sometimes forget because of being so worn out from the work day.

Great for goal 1....go you!  I think 10 push ups a day will work.  Maybe try to 10 2x a day even if one set is an easier version of push ups.  I bet you can do it.

There is still time to get in 3 strength workouts this week so not a loss.

Yay for the running!

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Week 2, Day 2

Goal #1: Social! I finalized plans with my book club.. this month we're reading and watching Amityville Horror! 

tumblr_nbll1nELH91rh92sko1_500.gif

Goal #2: Keep Moving! Another 10 pushups... I think I will go up to 10 x2 pushups. No Yoga or Strength workout. My plan is to have my workout complete before my husband gets home (he gets home about an hour and a half after I do) but I went grocery shopping after work and that used up all my time. 

tumblr_njbrjjLBGg1r8hpiao1_500.gif

Goal #3: Super Shark Speed! Since I had an intense run on Monday, I did nothing last night. I thought about walking a little, but I walked in circles at a grocery store I was unfamiliar with (seriously, where's the #$^%$ jelly?) so after dinner, I spent time hanging out with the husband. 

Plans for tonight include: It's Taco Night! I am going to run and do my strength workout before my husband gets home. I also have cleaning and dishes to do. Booo, chores!

• Like 2

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

I love these sharks! And I'm glad you figured out the GIFs. Life is better with GIFs

Totally! A whole new world has opened up for me...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Also, I need to update some progress bars here:

No progress bar for Goal #1: Social! I'm aiming to comment on at least three other threads a day. 

Goal #2: Keep Moving!

Weekly Pushups

43%
43%

Weekly Strength Workouts

0%
0%

Goal #3: Super Shark Speed! 

Weekly Runs: 1/4

25%
25%
  • Like 2

Pretty good night last night, I got A LOT done. 

I am not a chef. Like, it's ingrained in the depths of my soul that I hate cooking. I hate standing in front of the stove for an hour and making a mess just to watch the results disappear in fifteen minutes. But last night, my husband was going out to test drive a car, and I told him I would start dinner. 

It was Taco night. All I had to cook was ground beef. Ground beef is easy, right?

Not when it's frozen in a three pound chunk and you only need one pound. 

Cut to one full hour of Sarah fighting with the frozen meat with knives and spatulas and finally ripping off the one pound I needed for tacos. OK! So I have now made an awful mess, which I HATE because I can't clean it right away because I'm cooking (I'm usually puttering around cleaning while my husband cooks). Once my beef was done, cheese and lettuce shredded, and my taco was waiting for me, I started chopping veggies! I made an omelette in a Ziploc bag! I put all my omelette ingredients in a Ziploc bag (two eggs, green peppers, cheddar cheese, onions, and one slice of bacon), threw it in a pot of boiling water, and let it go for fifteen minutes, and ta-da, my breakfast for today was ready! OK, so my breakfast AND lunch for tomorrow are already prepared.... this is unprecedented. Oh, and this omelette? Delish. 

Progress bars! 

Goal #1: Social! Not bad, trying to keep up. I find that sometimes I just don't have anything useful to say, so I've been Liking a lot of posts. At least I'm still reading!

Goal #2: Keep Moving! I did 10 x 3 pushups yesterday, 10 against a wall, 10 at the edge of my desk, and 10 knee pushups. 

Weekly Pushups

57%
57%

I also did a bodyweight strength workout, squats and leg lifts and mountain climbers and hopping and a ton of reps.

Strength Workouts

33%
33%

Goal #3: Super Shark Speed!

Went for a run last night at the park so I could tackle some hills. I had trouble getting my music to play on my phone, so I just listened to Zombies! Run and ran while playing songs over in my head. Beautiful weather for it!

Weekly Runs:

50%
50%
  • Like 1

Good job on the push ups! They are incredibly difficult to get to, so don't give up :D

I loved the taco story :P I had the Yakety Sax playing in my head while I read your description and I giggled a lot :D

3Upc4dI.gif

As a side note, have you thought of parceling out your meat into ziplock baggies in 1lbs increments? I do that with mine, because while bulk is cheaper, I really don't want to do what you had to do yesterday.

• Like 2

We parcel out our meat before we put it way and that is a huge help.  At the same time if Taco Tuesdays is a regular event you can cook the 3 pounds and freeze what you do not eat.  Then next week it is a quick pop it into the microwave in a covered dish and a dash of water to keep it from drying out and reheat.  Of course when freezing cooked meat make sure it is cooled completely and freeze it in a ziploc bag so it can be frozen flat.  This will allow you to easily grab what you want from the freezer saving the rest for another meal.  At the same time if you do not season the cooked meat you can have it ready in the freezer to toss into a sauce or add your taco seasonings the night you reheat it.  Are you seasoning the taco meat anyway?   Cook once and eat off it a few times.  :)

You are doing fantastic.  Love the progress bars. 

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Good job on the push ups! They are incredibly difficult to get to, so don't give up :D

I loved the taco story :tongue: I had the Yakety Sax playing in my head while I read your description and I giggled a lot :D

3Upc4dI.gif

As a side note, have you thought of parceling out your meat into ziplock baggies in 1lbs increments? I do that with mine, because while bulk is cheaper, I really don't want to do what you had to do yesterday.

OH MY GOD THIS IS THE FUNNIEST THING EVER! I am seriously laughing out loud. This is literally what the experience was like. I had just taken a shower, too, so i'm trying to hold up my towel, while wielding a spatula and a BREAD KNIFE (I thought the serrated edges would help!) and just praying that my husband wouldn't choose that exact second to walk through the door.

We parcel out our meat before we put it way and that is a huge help.  At the same time if Taco Tuesdays is a regular event you can cook the 3 pounds and freeze what you do not eat.  Then next week it is a quick pop it into the microwave in a covered dish and a dash of water to keep it from drying out and reheat.  Of course when freezing cooked meat make sure it is cooled completely and freeze it in a ziploc bag so it can be frozen flat.  This will allow you to easily grab what you want from the freezer saving the rest for another meal.  At the same time if you do not season the cooked meat you can have it ready in the freezer to toss into a sauce or add your taco seasonings the night you reheat it.  Are you seasoning the taco meat anyway?   Cook once and eat off it a few times.   :)

You are doing fantastic.  Love the progress bars. 

The original plan was to split it up right after I got home from the grocery store, and then just freeze it in 3 bags, but you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men. The remaining 2 lb chunk was still frozen, and I didn't have enough to split it for my next meals of meatloaf and chili, so I'm going to repeat this whole thing tomorrow night!

• Like 2

One of the things this cooking / meal planning experiment has taught me is to pay attention to serving sizes! This casserole my husband made on Tuesday was 8 servings, so I cut it into eighths and I wasn't stuffed, but satisfied after dinner - normally I probably would have eaten twice as much.

• Like 2

Gosh my dad and I used to watch Benny Hill together.  I bet that would have been hilarious if your husband did arrive at home.  I had mine show up when I was using his hammer and flat head screwdriver to break off a chunk of frozen ground beef.  Hey I had cleaned them first....

• Like 1

Week 3, Day 2

Couple of days away from my computer, time for a quick recap! 

I did not do a third strength workout last week. Partly lazy, partly because I couldn't find the right time to do it in between all the other workout things I was doing.  Week 2 Strength workouts: 2/3

I ran with my sister on Sunday after an awesome apple-picking adventure. Week 2 runs: 4/4! SCORE! and I think I did 9 miles altogether. 

Social interaction: Doing just ok with this right now - I have logged on to type up recaps at least twice in the past five days, but keep putting off writing here because I want to read your posts first. Just gotta sit down later and get reading.

tumblr_nmi564op781u5t9mmo1_500.gif

What's coming down the pike this week?

tumblr_noat4dJsPI1uo0h8qo1_500.gif

I should have run last night but I worked on a house project and cleaning, so you know how that goes. 

I will be pushed one day behind by today: I am going to hang out with a friend tonight and make an awesome painting, but that means that I won't be able to run... maybe I can squeeze in a mile after I get home, which will probably be like, ten o-clock, right after I prep my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow. Joy. Maybe I'll make chili, it's pretty quick and easy (once I get the meat defrosted!). Cue the music!

• Like 1

Oh, also, pushups are still going well. Sticking to knee pushups or pushups off the edge of my desk at work so I can do a few here and there throughout the day. 

• Like 1

Go you!  Balancing time and everything is so hard.  Yet you are getting it done.  Maybe not all of it but most all and that is a win in my book.  Sounds like you had fun this weekend.  Better get moving on that pvp.  ;)

I have been craving chili too.  Yum!

• Like 1

My husband made mini meatloafs in a muffin tin. Lunch for tomorrow prepped! 

Threads read!

Strength Workout: 3/18

17%
17%

Did a Pilates workout tonight. 1 weekly strength workout done!

Weekly Runs: 7/24

29%
29%

Too late to run tonight. I feel really guilty about not doing any miles yet this week - starting these 6 week challenges weeks on Monday messes with my head a little. Like, I still have five days to squeeze in my 8 miles, but it my brain sees "Tuesday" and thinks, oh the week's half over already. I want to run tomorrow -  It's supposed to rain buckets here, so they will have to be treadmill miles. I need to make them easy treadmill miles... the last two times I ran on the treadmill, I intended to alternate walking and running and just take it easy for a few miles, but the first time, I busted my butt and ran my fastest mile ever - 14:22! The second time, I pushed harder and ran my new fastest mile ever: 13:50!!!!! I ran at 5.5 mph for a sustained amount of time .I feel my super shark speed increasing!

• Like 1

The Monday starts throw me off too!  

Look at you go.  Plenty of time to get those miles done in a safe manner.  :)  Before you know it you will be breaking 13 minutes!  That would be sweet!!!

• Like 1

Kind of apropos for this challenge, but it's Shark Week. Didn't do any running last night as I was feeling a little cruddy.

giphy.gif

I probably won't be running tonight either, but I will attempt to walk on the treadmill and watch TV when I get home. I am also looking for a good dumbbell workout for these days when squatting and lunging and ab work are not really ideal.  I'm sure NF has some ideas...

I also want to say that the medication I am on has really saved me from the severe mood depression, irritability, and mood swings from PMDD that normally come with Shark Week. It feels like someone saved my life. For real. Like, I have a completely new brain, and it's not broken. 

Food has been going really well for me - I know that wasn't part of my challenge, but it's what I'm working on. It's like, you're driving down one road following your GPS but you see somewhere else you want to go, so you turn, but your GPS is like, trying to route you back to your original track, and you're like, "Nuh-uh, Life, I am going this way!" So.... recalculating!

I've been trying to do a lot of cooking and food prep because most of my meals go sideways. Instead of picking a bunch of healthy things I don't like, I've taken some very good advice from AwesomeSue and I'm creating a pretty basic two-week meal plan. I've planned a few easy to cook meals with leftovers so I can have lunches. I also went apple picking and came home with about a hundred apples, so I'm set there for a while.

• Like 1

What is it NF says...food is 80 or 90% of the battle for health.  :)  Super pumped you are in the kitchen and killing it!  It can save so much money too.  As you get settled with this and before you  know it you will be doing workouts while something cooks to having time to workout separately and relax because you get down what works for your family and food prep.  Even an hour a weekend to make a variety of soups or things to freeze and build up options quickly even if you are eating some for dinner or lunches.  We keep veggy soups, homemade veggy burgers, chili, beef stew, marinara sauce, and a couple other items in the freezer normally.  After we get stuff in the freezer it is a matter of only making something when we are down to the last serving or out.  The items are also not in there year round.  We have different items we keep on hand based on the season so there is variety throughout the year. 

Maybe for those days you are not up to do squats, lunges, or do ab work you could focus more on your arms/back and perhaps getting out for a longer walk or an extra little walk.  Walk up and down a steep hill or do what you can with that on a treadmill.  Planks or bridges or superman hold work?

So glad the medication is helping so much!

Yay for Lilo and Stitch!

• Like 1

Shark Week knocked me down a step. I planned to run on Sunday with my sister in between other events but we didn't have enough time. I've been busy doing some Halloween decorating, so there's like, five new projects right there! Lots to do if I find myself sitting down to watch TV.

Planning a little run tonight with strength if there's time before I go to hang out with a friend. It's tough to schedule a two mile run when I know it will take me at least forty minutes when it's all said and done (changing, showering, etc, and that's only if I run on our treadmill, it's at least an hour if I include driving to the park.) Current mood is incredibly jealous of people who can run ten minute miles. I don't have enough time in the day to run so slow!

On the positive side, I've been meal planning for about two weeks and it's going very well. The first two weeks went great with leftovers actually getting eaten, and lunches actually being planned - we ate out less often than we normally do. We sat down to plan the next two weeks and found that we had a lot of stuff that we had purchased the first time around leftover, so we don't need to replenish too many things. Yay, saving money! 

• Like 2

How has the rest of the week gone?  Too busy planning and cooking good food?  Busy at work? Killing it challenge wise?  Crafting until you can craft no more?  Went out for a run and kept running?  Updates woman!  Seriously I honestly look forward to your updates.  You have been such an inspiration for me.  Even when it has been tough for you I find so much in what you say that I learn from and relate to.

• Like 1

Thank you awesomesue, it is so nice of you to say that you look forward to my updates! ugh. Yes! So busy planning food, crafting, and arranging fall outings. Fall is absolutely my favorite time of year, so if I can get out and enjoy some autumn, I am out the door! I also don't sit at a computer too often when I'm not working, and I've been trying to be more productive at work, which means less time to wander the internet, and I don't update on my phone, so it's created a bit of radio silence for me. It's nice, I get to do more real-world productive stuff, but I've been absent-minded about NF.

Food planning is going extremely well - we have been cooking real food and the fridge has been full of leftovers (that are actually getting eaten!) so that's a huge benefit. It's already making a change in my wallet and my weight, I think - I was a bit bummed about spending a bit more money than normal on a shopping trip, but I was stocking up on items that can be reused for future meals, and my husband pointed out that we would be spending the same amount for one meal out, so it's totally worth it.  I want to find some more simple recipes that we can throw into the mix that produce several servings so we can have lunch leftovers. We have a few tried and true meals that yield lots of lunches but I want to make sure we don't get too repetitive.

Running has slowed a bit, after shark week I went out and did 2.5 miles on Monday? and for the next three days my thighs were KILLING me! Just the bend to sit down in a chair was rough! I took a little time to let them recuperate and then did another 2.1 miles on Saturday. Not sure of my weekly mileage, but we also walked in a haunted house and haunted cornfield Saturday night.  Apple picking last week. So fun! I've got a 5K coming up in like... two weeks! It's on Halloween, and it's funny that it's the first time in... forever... that husband and I have been invited to a Halloween party, but I can't go because we'll be in Maryland for the race weekend. Actually, we've been invited to TWO Halloween parties, and we can't go to either. This anti-social shark is delighted, yet disappointed that she has to say no.

Crafting, oh yes, crafting. I'm making little pumpkins to decorate my office, and I'm working on this VERY involved cross stitch. If I work on it a little each day, maybe I'll finish in time for next Halloween. I'm also spray painting an old school desk to replace the night stand in the bedroom, and... what else...trying to keep the house clean. Yikes!

And now, a giant pumpkin:

12118657_10100754094740139_2034218991783

• Like 2

Aaahhhh.  I feel better now after reading your all kinds of awesome!  Love the pumpkin.  So cool to be invited to a couple parties.  Just as cool to have to decline because you have this trip and run planned.  Definitely making loads of progress.  

We love cooking and trying new recipes and flavors.  What kinds of things do you and your husband enjoy eating?  What kind of flavors do you like or want to try?  We might have some recipes or ideas.  We did try the pulled pork recipe from NF.  We made a massive amount and after shredding the meat we froze it being careful to not let it be one huge clump of meaty goodness.  Anytime we needed to add a protein to a meal, a quick bite, a way to jazz up a salad we just grab some and heat.  It may appear more expensive when shopping but that is because you are spending most of the money up front versus spending money each day or each time eating out.  Staples really help for sure in the pantry.  ;)

Do you get to dress up for the race?  That could be loads of fun.

Getting stuff done and being amazing is a good enough reason to be a bit absent minded here.  LOL  Yeah I love the autumn too.  

Aaah, life is pulling me in too many directions lately. I haven't been running as much or doing any workouts; instead I'm mostly focusing on projects and people, which is what is making me happy at the moment, so I'm going to stick with that. I should run a little in preparation for my race on October 31. I'll let you know how it goes!

• Like 1