If it ain't broke... Tanktimus Lays a Foundation

Last challenge I had the biggest success I ever had in a 6WC. This time around I'm not going to fix what isn't broken, I'll just up the difficulty a little. For a recap, my last challenge goals were:
1 15 lift days

2 36 total miles run

3 Cook paleo and eat out no more than three times/week

4 Finish typing up a verbatim for professional board certification.

I succeeded in all 4. As a reward I will buy a couple of NF shirts on payday.

This challenge I have the following goals.

1: 15 lift days. I lift three days a week on a good week (on a bad week it's only two). I do some body weight warm ups, then I do Bench and Squat on Monday, Deadlift and Overhead Press on Tuesday, and Deadlift and Bench on Friday. It's a program that rotates sets and reps every 7 weeks, with 1RM testing on the 7th week. A test week should occur on week 2 or 3 (see below), so I'll include those numbers in the report.

Uupdated 2: (original below in italics) 15 run days. For the first week I had 2 run days, but from now on I'm going to use the learn a 5k feature on my Runkeeper app. I'm tired of the dreadmill and enjoy running outside more. The gains of the treadmill are false, and giveth a false sense of endurance thereof.

2: 36 total miles run. This is the same distance goal as last time, however, the tweak this time is that I can only do 2 of my three run days on the treadmill. It's a lot harder to get the miles in out in the real world, so this will up the difficulty while keeping the goal attainable.  For those who followed my last challenge, I think I got the GPS straightened out on my phone so tracking runs shouldn't be a problem. I'll test in week 0.

3: Cook paleo and no more than 3 times a week either eating out or eating non-paleo. Last challenge if I ate a meal that wasn't paleo but it wasn't in a restaurant it didn't count against the goal, this time it does, I'll call them variances for simplicity's sake.

4: Submit the verbatim from last time to my mentor, make the suggested changes, and I identify and write out the narrative of a visit for the second verbatim. I almost didn't get this one done last time, but because I had made it a goal it got done. I'm working on Board Certification with the Association of Professional Chaplains, which involves writing out two verbatims of visits done with hospital patients, a lengthy essay, and accumulation of a lot of old paperwork. I'm still early in the process, but I want to be certified next calendar year.

5: Domestic Rangering: I am already consistent with laundry and keeping my kitchen clean, this challenge I will add in additional habits by making it a goal to clean the bathroom once a week as well as to vacuum once a week. The cleaner I have does floors, so that mean's I don't have to sweep the kitchen!

There will be progress bars again this challenge, except for goal 4, it's pass/fail.

Now here's where it gets interesting. During week one, I'm going to a Chaplain's Retreat for my denomination out of town. It's at a Christian camp called Lakeview Camp and Retreat Center.  Some good news I found out when I went hunting for the link to the camp is that they just renovated their fitness center. Depending on what they have available I may not have to adapt my strength training at all. They say they have free weights, so if they have enough that I can do what I need I will be able to do the testing phase for 1RM in week 2, if not I will do the hotel room workout  or some variation thereof and test in week 3. It's a large outdoor facility, so I won't have problems finding a place to run.  They do have internet access so I should be able to get online and check in with my fellow Rangers (and non-ranger nerds) during breaks and down time. The eating will be a challenge potentially. I should be able to do eggs and bacon for breakfast if I remember, lunch and dinner may be a challenge. It's a dining hall situation and while the food is well prepared, it's not always paleo. If I can eat and get full with paleo friendly foods I will. Otherwise, I'll do the best I can. I'm going to put myself on the honor system and say as long as I did the best I can it won't count against me.

Looking forward to this next challenge.

Rangers Gonna Ranger!

• Like 16

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Love the way you're planning ahead for the week at camp.  Very Ranger-ly of you!  Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.

• Like 1

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

Domestic Rangering lol I like that.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

That is awesome that you are officially Chaplaining!! Hooray Rangerly retreats :)

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Onwards, Chaplain!

And upwards, Commander!

Sounds good, definitely important that our Ranger Chaplain should be accredited by a professional body ! :playful:

There is also the International Conference of Police Chaplains, their accreditation is a lot less strenuous, I eventually want both.

Following! 

The ability to maneuver around the schedule challenge of life and still meet our goals is the ultimate Ranger skill, eh?  

Yes, it surely is.

Love the way you're planning ahead for the week at camp.  Very Ranger-ly of you!  Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.

Thanks! The course I'm taking at the Retreat is "Mental Health Boot camp." While the retreat is being held at camp, it's really not a camp in the traditional sense. It's a training event for the chaplains to get together and get some continuing education. I will probably be one of the only ones working out, aside from all the military chaplains (and even some of those take the time off from fitness).

Domestic Rangering lol I like that.

Thanks, I think it came from HoneyBadger.

That is awesome that you are officially Chaplaining!! Hooray Rangerly retreats :)

I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

There he is! Whats up big guy?! I like the theme for the challenge and it's funny because we just talked about this when I asked you about if you were keeping your workout the same. Good stuff man! Your Chaplain Retreat sounds fun man but don't stress too much about the workouts. If anything, you could do some bw stuff on your runs, like push-ups and squats. But your a ranger, I'm sure you'll figure out something :)

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Your goals sound great! It's really great that you've found a routine you can stick with and see success with. I envy you. :tongue:

Hope your camp is amazing! :D

Thanks, you will get there. Just keep at it, badgers don't give up.

There he is! Whats up big guy?! I like the theme for the challenge and it's funny because we just talked about this when I asked you about if you were keeping your workout the same. Good stuff man! Your Chaplain Retreat sounds fun man but don't stress too much about the workouts. If anything, you could do some bw stuff on your runs, like push-ups and squats. But your a ranger, I'm sure you'll figure out something :)

Wolf

Oh yes, I will find all the things. The website had a picture of a climbing wall, don't know if it will be available or not but I've never done one before...

I like how we're both taking the "why mess with success?" approach to this challenge. Routines are definitely good. :)

Yes, they do.

Love your challenges. It's really well structured and allows reasonable flexibility. I also think working out during the camp could be cool. Might lead to different sorts of interactions with the people around you.

Thanks so much, it will be. Breakfast is at 7am, which is when I normally get up. I'll work out after breakfast (that's when I normally work out) and shower before the first class.

• Like 1

you totally nailed the last challenge, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress bars go off the end of the page again :-)

• Like 2
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Wow, this looks great! It's impressive that you're so driven to stick by your challenge even at camp; I went to a gymnastics camp few weeks back and all the discipline and habits I built up pretty much vanished on the spot. ^^

The whole "rangering" is also pretty badass, haha. I've only been here for a few days but this guild is growing on me. :D

Following! I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to. ^^

• Like 2

Assassin - Level 3 

STR: 6 | STA: 3 | DEX: 1 | CON: 6 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 1

Challenge 1 - RESTART -  Challenge 2

you totally nailed the last challenge, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress bars go off the end of the page again :-)

Thanks, me too.

Wow, this looks great! It's impressive that you're so driven to stick by your challenge even at camp; I went to a gymnastics camp few weeks back and all the discipline and habits I built up pretty much vanished on the spot. ^^

The whole "rangering" is also pretty badass, haha. I've only been here for a few days but this guild is growing on me. :D

Following! I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to. ^^

Thanks. You have no idea the amount of awesome you have gotten yourself into. I love being a part of this guild.

Lifted today, it wen't really well. I can tell that even though my 1RM didn't go up on dealift last time I am stronger this go-around. 

• Like 3

Keep feeding the courage wolf there, Tank! You always do well on your lifts, and your consistency will slowly, but surely take you beyond your 1RM! Hoorah for strength gains! Did it rain out there by you guys last night? It's still a humid, wet mess up here and it's kinda killing my rucking vibe I got going... but I'm a ranger now, I'll figure it out!

Wolf

• Like 1

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Spoiler

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

No, we had some dark clouds when I left this morning, but they dried up and blew away. It's actually pretty nice today.

• Like 1

Following

Looking forward to 6 more weeks of awesome 

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

Following

Looking forward to 6 more weeks of awesome 

Drive on, good sir. Drive on.

Thanks guys.

Went for a run in the real world again. Seems like my GPS is fixed, I just had to tighten some screws underneath the battery cover and download a gps fixer app. I got 1.27 miles in 16:04, the first mile was in 11:58, not a PR but this was on a much more difficult route than when I ran the last time. It was partly on sidewalks, partly in the apartment complex, and partly in the Rangerly back-yard the apartment complex owns that was featured in the last thread.

• Like 5

Looks like you've got a good formula for your challenges.  Carry on..

tumblr_inline_nud87sM0211rgu8or_500.gif

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

I'm in awe of you for not only running, but doing it outside.  Someday, I'd like to be able to run to catch a plane without giving myself asthma. Right now this about sums up my attitude about running:

53845-I-Thought-They-Said-Rum.jpg

But I'll get there one day!  In the meantime, I'll just watch you rack up the miles and be awesome.  :)

• Like 4

My first six week challenge!

"I can't run, but I can walk much faster than this." -Paul Simon

"There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." -Leonard Cohen

Find me on Instagram, where I mostly post photos of outdoor adventures, baking projects, and books.

Glad you see you real world running Tank! The dreadmill is just not very ranger friendly.

You'll get there one day Melissa! Just going a little farther each day is progress :). You could always try running for 15 seconds and walking for 45 and then slowly build up that run time and decrease the walk time. "The journey is more important than the destination- so enjoy the walk."

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 3

Spoiler