• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I know writing and art are WAYYYYYYYY different beasts, but the method of logging time rather than logging how much you produce is one of the reasons why I'm not doing NaNoWriMo this year, and why when I dedicate myself to my novel I'm not counting words or anything of the sort. Now, there's merit in the NaNo method in that you're not constantly self-editing, but I don't like the idea of rushing through anything especially since I write for fun and not for work. (Also, I'm still in the planning stages. I feel like I'll be planning forever at this rate ;;;;;;;;;; ) And I've found I'm happier for it. I don't know if it helps or not since writing =/= drawing/sketching/etc art, but basically, I like the method of going for time spent rather than products produced, given that for us, this is for fun, not for food and shelter and such. ;)

That makes a lot of sense and while drawing != writing, there is still a creative overlap and a lot of energy put into the creation of the work as well as hoping it's of high quality and enjoyable for everyone.  I think if I do time spent instead of number of works produce, I will be a lot happier as well.  I think that may help me not feel like a failure every time I don't produce as much.  I think that the quality of my art has increased because of skill increases AND time spent too.  So yeah!  I think I can do that instead :), especially since this is for fun!

This was awesome! I'll definitely do it again at some point, probably the next time I get cast in a show when tech week falls at any point during the challenge since it's in my experience that's when things get the toughest for me wrt keeping up with a challenge. Looking at past third-challenges, that's one of the things that each of them had in common: challenge 3 had A Christmas Carol tech week and performances, challenge 6 had The Mikado tech week and performances, and I guess challenges 2 and 7 had some of that action too for Dracula and Cabaret respectively, but for challenge 2 I had my half marathon to keep me honest (and after that, the show was open, so I had plenty of time again) and Cabaret I made the active decision to take off of work a lot of that week so that helped, too. But yeah. We'll see. At least I know that tech week+challenges = danger zone so I'll keep it in mind going forward!!

Ahhhh so it's the TECH WEEK curse!  Definitely would be great to keep this format in mind then for those challenges!  Awesome a solution has been found :D

• Like 1

That makes a lot of sense and while drawing != writing, there is still a creative overlap and a lot of energy put into the creation of the work as well as hoping it's of high quality and enjoyable for everyone.  I think if I do time spent instead of number of works produce, I will be a lot happier as well.  I think that may help me not feel like a failure every time I don't produce as much.  I think that the quality of my art has increased because of skill increases AND time spent too.  So yeah!  I think I can do that instead :), especially since this is for fun!

Ahhhh so it's the TECH WEEK curse!  Definitely would be great to keep this format in mind then for those challenges!  Awesome a solution has been found :D

Glad to hear this may leave you happier with your art quests. No need to always feel like you're under-performing when you're working so hard!

• Like 1

Glad to hear this may leave you happier with your art quests. No need to always feel like you're under-performing when you're working so hard!

Not that this should be an excuse to lessen quality or quit art or anything but it does feel a little silly to get so angry and frustrated and sad over something that is suppose to be a fun and enjoyable hobby.

• Like 2

Not that this should be an excuse to lessen quality or quit art or anything but it does feel a little silly to get so angry and frustrated and sad over something that is suppose to be a fun and enjoyable hobby.

Truth. No making yourself cray-cray, mmkay?

• Like 2

............. are you nuts, the new challenge forums are up ALREADY?!?!?!?! ARGH OKAY FINE. If I don't throw up the new challenge today I'll do it tomorrow. OH MY GOD THESE THINGS COME FAST, GOOD THING I START THINKING ABOUT MY NEXT CHALLENGE HALFWAY THROUGH THE CURRENT CHALLENGE.

Also I realized I haven't done a real, formatted lessons learned yet. That will come....... eventually. Tonight or tomorrow. Ahahahaha... (I mean, I kind of had some lessons learned in my challenge wrap-up? But yes.....)

Yup. Tech week = DO NOT DO ALL THE THINGS. YOU DO NOT HAVE THE TIME OR ENERGY OR MENTAL/EMOTIONAL CAPACITY FOR ALL THE THINGS. etc~

Alas, it's the price of being passionate about something. I have an actor friend who tells me that she has an easier time emotionally with auditions because she sees it as "just a hobby," and so far it looks like it's been working out for her. I............. can't seem to get into the mindset. ;;; Same with writing. "Just a hobby" ahahahaha except it's a PASSIONATE hobby and all the beating ourselves up. We shouldn't. But we do it. Because that's what we creative types do apparently. :lol: Still, any way we can alleviate the stress and frustrations, we should do!

• Like 1

Alas, it's the price of being passionate about something. I have an actor friend who tells me that she has an easier time emotionally with auditions because she sees it as "just a hobby," and so far it looks like it's been working out for her. I............. can't seem to get into the mindset. ;;; Same with writing. "Just a hobby" ahahahaha except it's a PASSIONATE hobby and all the beating ourselves up. We shouldn't. But we do it. Because that's what we creative types do apparently. :lol: Still, any way we can alleviate the stress and frustrations, we should do!

Hehe I'm hoping that I can look at art and not be so emotionally invested, but I understand that it's really hard to not get so passionate about creative things like that.  I posted this comic before, but pretty much this is me:

i-gL7sBZg-1050x10000.jpg

• Like 1

Hehe I'm hoping that I can look at art and not be so emotionally invested, but I understand that it's really hard to not get so passionate about creative things like that.  I posted this comic before, but pretty much this is me:

i-gL7sBZg-1050x10000.jpg

From everything I know of artists, this seems accurate. :lol:

• Like 1