• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Update on the body composition nonsense: against my better judgment, I tested my bf% again, and I weighed myself, and I looked at my waist measurement again. BECAUSE I'M DUMB GUYS.

But!

• I shrunk half an inch since yesterday.
  • I'm 2 lbs heavier than last week
  • I lost 0.4% in body fat

Soooooooooooo... my body is probably trolling me. OFFICIAL. Noooooot going to worry about it. ;;;

Chill out, you're not one step away from Goodyear Blimp status overnight. You could just about close down a buffet single-handedly and not accomplish this. 

• Like 1

You need to have Tyro lock up the calipers, scale, and tape measure, girlfriend.

Ahahahaha... problem is all of these are readily available at my work gym, too. To my credit, I don't use the scale at home anymore? It's the tape measure that's dangerous. But it's cool, I now know that my body is a massive jerk. ;)

Chill out, you're not one step away from Goodyear Blimp status overnight. You could just about close down a buffet single-handedly and not accomplish this. 

Haha, thanks. :love_heart: I mean, seeing two of the three measurements go in the direction I want/expect was nice and reassuring, but I think it's definitely time to exercise some willpower and only check on these things once a week as planned and purely for my maintenance quest!!

• Like 2

You're not wading out in the dark as much as you think, as long as you hit your target, you are okay. Even if your measurements and weight both go up consistently across weeks--consistent change it good! You've got some data, adjust accordingly. If your weight and measurements are going down still...adjust accordingly. But never make a change to your plan while panicking/upset/anxious or are otherwise driven to the drawing board by emotions. Sleep on it, and all that. Sometimes your target is gonna move because of the confluence of food, sleep, hormones, work done, stress, illness, etc. Be prepared for that, it can and will happen. It doesn't mean you did anything wrong or need to majorly rethink much at all.

A way to make this easier is to have a range of acceptable target values for weight and other measurements--with greater flexibility on the weight, as it's gonna be a source of potential false alarm. If you're building muscle, that number will trend up. If you're retaining water, that number will go up. Etc. This is a learning process, so cut yourself a good bit of slack and give yourself a couple weeks just to have an idea of what your body's up to. 

Ahahahaha... problem is all of these are readily available at my work gym, too. To my credit, I don't use the scale at home anymore? It's the tape measure that's dangerous. But it's cool, I now know that my body is a massive jerk. ;)

Haha, thanks. :love_heart: I mean, seeing two of the three measurements go in the direction I want/expect was nice and reassuring, but I think it's definitely time to exercise some willpower and only check on these things once a week as planned and purely for my maintenance quest!!

Your body is not a jerk. It's going through normal fluctuation throughout the day/week. Perhaps you should do a challenge where you don't measure yourself for entire 6 weeks? ;) That sounds like WIS+1 to me :P

• Like 2

Your body is not a jerk. It's going through normal fluctuation throughout the day/week. Perhaps you should do a challenge where you don't measure yourself for entire 6 weeks? ;) That sounds like WIS+1 to me :tongue:

^^^

You're not wading out in the dark as much as you think, as long as you hit your target, you are okay. Even if your measurements and weight both go up consistently across weeks--consistent change it good! You've got some data, adjust accordingly. If your weight and measurements are going down still...adjust accordingly. But never make a change to your plan while panicking/upset/anxious or are otherwise driven to the drawing board by emotions. Sleep on it, and all that. Sometimes your target is gonna move because of the confluence of food, sleep, hormones, work done, stress, illness, etc. Be prepared for that, it can and will happen. It doesn't mean you did anything wrong or need to majorly rethink much at all.

A way to make this easier is to have a range of acceptable target values for weight and other measurements--with greater flexibility on the weight, as it's gonna be a source of potential false alarm. If you're building muscle, that number will trend up. If you're retaining water, that number will go up. Etc. This is a learning process, so cut yourself a good bit of slack and give yourself a couple weeks just to have an idea of what your body's up to. 

Not to worry, I gave up putting ANY stock in my weight a long time ago, around the time when I compared my measurements from last year to this year and saw that while I'm about the same if heavier than this time last year, I'm smaller. ;) And I've started with giving myself an acceptable range of measurements to be in, at least so far as my waist measurements go. I did extensive bits of research on it and found the 1" range I want to stay in. I've been outside of it since Cancun, but I wasn't drastically far out of it until this week, and that's when the panic set in. I've been eating at a cut, which is where the confusion and frustration comes into play.

But yes, cutting myself some slack, I need to do this. Because I'm still comparing myself (numbers-wise) to others, and it's not healthy, and I need to stop it because the people I'm comparing myself to have DRASTICALLY different life and fitness goals than I do. Besides, swimsuit season is over. There's no need for vanity for a few months. :)

Your body is not a jerk. It's going through normal fluctuation throughout the day/week. Perhaps you should do a challenge where you don't measure yourself for entire 6 weeks? ;) That sounds like WIS+1 to me :tongue:

Haha, maybe next challenge I will do that! Since I'm looking for maintenance, I need to do some sort of weekly check-in, but next challenge maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea to resist doing any sort of measurement. Do a Day Zero and a Day 42 measurement and that's IT. Something to build into next time, I suppose~

Haha, maybe next challenge I will do that! Since I'm looking for maintenance, I need to do some sort of weekly check-in, but next challenge maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea to resist doing any sort of measurement. Do a Day Zero and a Day 42 measurement and that's IT. Something to build into next time, I suppose~

DOOOO EEEEEEET :D It will be fun, I promise! :D Your body will surprise you in a positive way :D

I like the idea of laying off once you feel confident in your avg cal number. Go by feel. How are your clothes fitting? How do you feel? Etc.

• Like 1

DOOOO EEEEEEET :D It will be fun, I promise! :D Your body will surprise you in a positive way :D

It's already written down as a possible challenge for next time. ;)

I like the idea of laying off once you feel confident in your avg cal number. Go by feel. How are your clothes fitting? How do you feel? Etc.

All better measurements than numbers, that's for sure. ^_^ 

Someday I'd love to be able to trust myself to stop tracking my calories. Eat how I feel, recognize and understand and respond appropriately to my body commands, etc. I refuse to believe that this option only exists for those on paleo. Maybe one of my future eating goals is to eat more like how Michael Pollan suggests in "In Defense of Food" and "Food Rules" except with more meat involved. He's not suggesting a vegetarian or vegan diet, but he does see eating a lot of meat as unhealthy. In defense of this, a BIG part of the reason why has more to do with the meat industry than with animal rights, which was why I was a pescetarian for so long; he says that if you must eat meat, eat meat that was treated well in life because: "You are what you eat eats too." As someone who does lift, I need WAY more meat than he suggests (he says it should be a side dish, not the main course, which........ eh), but the rest of what he says is pretty sound advice:

Eat less, eat meals (limit your snacking), eat at a table, "don't get your fuel from the same place your car does," pay attention to stomach cues as to when to stop eating (and the best ways to do this is to eat slowly because it takes your brain about 20 minutes to process that you're full, or to go with the Japanese saying of: "Eat until you're 80% full."), and cook often. He's also a big proponent of when you go grocery shopping, stick to the outer perimeter and go into the aisles only if absolutely necessary (because you have a better chance of acquiring real food on the perimeters instead of the aisle) and to pay close attention to the ingredients listing and such. Going forward in future challenges, I'll incorporate maybe one of these a challenge. So I'm thinking next challenge (omg why am I already thinking that far ahead what is wrong with me :lol:) I'll probably also find a way to make a SMART goal out of "eat more slowly" because I...... kind of really do inhale my food. ;;;;;;; 

• Like 1

Day Zero

tumblr_m2d3wzdDKN1qj16d7o1_500.gif

QUEST 1: EAT TO SURVIVE REBORN’S TRAINING [+3 CON]

Interim Week Average Calories Consumed: 1,541+ (cheat day taken on Friday)

Measurements: Increased

Those who have been following along know that I was freaking out a little bit over my measurements over the course of the week. This morning, I'd say half of my measurements increased and the other half either decreased or remained the same. I'm averaging this to be an increase overall. But in keeping with the spirit of the challenge, I need to evaluate why this happened, and truth be told, for now, I'm chalking it up to bloat, especially since looking at previous week averages and seeing that I would lose fat at much higher caloric averages. So, for Week 1, just to make doubly sure, I'm going to average at about the same as I did this week at minimum.

Week 1 Minimum Average Calorie Goal: 1,540 calories

QUEST 2: A WELL-ROUNDED MAFIA BOSS [+12 TBD]

JV2C34Y.png

• TEMPESTA (STR) the wind; one that fiercely blows away everything
    The intention with this category is to make sure I continue lifting 2x/week, and I'd like to have a day or two of extra strength work focused on either bodyweight training or dance conditioning. I expect this to be my most consistent area for point accumulation.

The Plan: Lifting (Monday, Friday), Dance Conditioning (occasional Tuesdays), Muscle Attack/bodyweight (Wednesdays)

• PIOGGIA (DEX) the rain; one that washes away everything
    Dance and flexibility! And since I'm especially fond of Rain Guardians, it works out, I guess, that I want to spend a lot of my time focused here if possible. I want to make sure I keep up my flexibility work since if I really want to get to front splits by the end of the year if possible. I also intend to go to jazz and/or tap class 1x/week while turning some focus towards Latin-based dancing. This category right here is why I stay with the Assassins, guys. :love_heart:

The Plan: Jazz (mostly Saturdays, but Mondays when I can swing it), Tap (mostly Thursdays, but again, Monday when I can swing it), Latin/Zumba (whenever I can find the time for it). Flexibility at the end of each strength session (Mondays, sometimes Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays)

• FULMINE (STA) the lightning; one that harshly strikes everything
    In 2016, I plan to run a sprint triathlon. I don't have a set date and so I don't have a set timeframe or idea of a schedule to work with, but I can try to get started on the training now as much as I can find the time for it. I also included hiking/walking and dance fitness, since they are cardio-based and rely more on stamina than anything else.

The Plan: Run/Swim/Bike/Walk/Zumba whenever I can fit it in

• SERENO (CON) the sun; one that illuminates the sky
    The biggest things here is my intention to bring lunch to work every day and cook at least once or twice a week. I also have a bad no-calorie sugary drink habit I'd like to try to kick, and the sweet snacks is more to limit unnecessary snacking. I won't always be successful, but that's not the point of this challenge; the point is the attempt, especially since these are things I've focused on before already.

The Plan: Bring lunch to work at least 4x/week. Cook at least 2x/week.

• NUVOLA (WIS) the cloud; one that cannot be caught and goes its own way
    Mostly, I want to practice Japanese to prepare for my upcoming trip to Japan (and since Tyro has it as one of his challenges, we plan on working on this together as much as we can), and I want to start learning more than just the alphabet in ASL so I can better communicate with my deaf/hard-of-hearing friends I've made this year. The rest is just to encourage me to be more responsible and adult better, tbh. :lol:

The Plan: Practice Japanese for a little bit every day. Practice ASL for a little bit 5x/week. Do at least one responsible adulting thing a day.

• NEBBIA (CHA) the mist; one that cannot be captured
    The fun category! Filled with continuing to work on improving my acting development, singing more, reading more, working on my novel... basically, just making sure that I focus on the things that leave me feeling the most fulfilled.

The Plan: Every day, do something for soul fulfillment. Doesn't matter which one it is, just something. Once a week, get out of my apartment for fun things and adventures.

BONUS QUESTS

I also created some bonus challenges that I want to be sure I focus on, but since the point of the grab bag isn’t to stress myself out, nothing lost if I don’t do it, but I get some little bonuses if I DO do it.  (Hehe, do-do… /is ten years old) If you’re new to the challenge thread, you’ve probably already seen them; if not, here they are!

Twenty Pull-Ups Challenge: I’m participating in the PVP for the Twenty Pull-Ups Challenge, and damn it, I’d like to be able to do a pull-up before I turn 30 besides!  That gives me 15 months to do a pull-up.  So every time I do this, I will earn myself an extra +5 points towards strengthup to 3x/week for 15 bonus points. I will most likely spend the entirety of the 8 weeks in the -2/-1 Week but hey, it's the effort that counts!

Pirouette Drills: So I suck at pirouettes, and this is not okay.  I may not be able to move up to the intermediate jazz classes for a while, but if anything is going to hold me back, it’ll be my pirouettes.  So, every day that I work on the drills, I will earn myself +10 points towards dexterity.

Conditioning: I want to spend quality time with my exercise band and the foam roller and work on my grip strength. Every day that I do conditioning exercises with the band, roll out my muscles, or dedicate some time specifically to grip strength, I will earn +5 points towards my staminaWhy stamina? Because this will keep me going stronger, longer!

Meal-Planning: A lot of stress that comes from making sure I meet my macros comes from a lack of planning, and so I will plan out my breakfasts and lunches for the work week every Sunday to make sure that no matter what I eat for dinner, I know I’ll be making my minimum counts on protein.  If I make a plan, I will earn +20 points towards constitution for the week.  If I stick to it, I will earn an additional +30 points for the week.

Focus: I am… really bad at staying focused at work.  The Adderall helps, but I have to pull my own weight in this regard, too.  The goal here is to devote only the last 10 minutes of any given hour towards non-work distractions, and at the top of the hour, I’m back to doing something productive again.  If I miss that :50 mark, I miss it and I can’t make it up.  And if I really need a distraction, I take a brief walk to either get more tea, or a glass of water, or just walk around the building some.  And if I have nothing to do?  I FIND something to do that’s work-related, even if it’s just reading documents.  I earn myself +15 points towards wisdom for every day that I manage to stick to these criteria.

Hygiene Routine: I am AWFUL at taking care of myself before I go to bed. I usually just do one or two things (usually dental care) and then hit the sack. I need to be better about this. And so, every night I commit to a full hygiene routine, I will earn +10 points towards charisma. What is a full hygiene routine? Brush my teeth, floss, wash my face, moisturize. If I do a full facial, I get an additional +10 points.

Starting Measurements and Pictures
oZEKAMUm.jpg 2cwiC1Am.jpg 8xWpyVFm.jpg

Waist @ narrowest: 26.875"
Waist @ navel: 30.625"
Hips: 36.25"
Thigh: 21.75"
Calf: 14"
Est bf%: 22.95% (as of 9/11/15)
Weight: 124lb (measured 9/14/15)

WEEK ONE TENTATIVE PLAN
Last free Monday night before acting classes start!  My Tuesday coaching session is also rescheduled for Wednesday, so I can see what the Conditioning & Progressions class is all about.  Other than that, standard week, more or less, until the busy busy weekend of audition on Friday, race and possible birthday party on Saturday, and pancake party on Sunday! Oh, the chaos that is my life…

Monday: Lifting + Jazz + Tap
Tuesday: Conditioning & Progressions + maybe run/bike/Zumba?
Wednesday: Bodyweight workout (possibly TMNT Workout)
Thursday: Run 2-3 mi
Friday: Lifting
Saturday: Foam Glow 5K
Sunday: Rest

• Like 2

Holy crap!  Already you have some plans coming up for this first week for your challenge!  That's awesome!

You're gonna rock this challenge, this week, and especially Day 1!!  LET'S DO THIS!!!

iAQyY0p.gif

• Like 1

A challenging Week 1 ahead.  Awesome!

Fired up to do all of the things!

Got a lot on your plate for this busy challenge, but you can handle it. Ready for Week 1!

It's a lot, but nothing I can't handle because this time, I don't have rehearsal taking away all of my free time. :D So I can do ALL OF THE THINGS!!!

Holy crap!  Already you have some plans coming up for this first week for your challenge!  That's awesome!

You're gonna rock this challenge, this week, and especially Day 1!!  LET'S DO THIS!!!

iAQyY0p.gif

THAT GIF. MUCH LOVE.

And yessssss, it's a busy week ahead, but I like busy weeks. Aside from TIGER CUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on Saturday and bicycle bar Friday night, it was a not-so busy weekend so of course I got nothing done. I get more things done when I'm busy, to an extent, and I think this is the extent of maximum returns -- I hope!!!

• Like 1

Tagging now, catching up in a bit.   Stupid stupid work.    I gotta keep up with my Colorado peeps so that when I some day move there, we all be like I KNOWS YOU!

This pull up stuff is intriguing.   And right now, is the only upper body work I can do... so I may have to poke at it more.

• Like 2

Tagging now, catching up in a bit.   Stupid stupid work.    I gotta keep up with my Colorado peeps so that when I some day move there, we all be like I KNOWS YOU!

This pull up stuff is intriguing.   And right now, is the only upper body work I can do... so I may have to poke at it more.

YESSSSSSSSSS GOOD COME TO US

The PVP is here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/70984-sept-14-nov-8-twenty-pull-up-program-circlejerk-of-friends/ if you're interested! I did Day 1 earlier today and while it's hard to say since all I'm doing is negatives right now, it looks like it could be a good challenge all around. :D

• Like 1