Elinox Goes Back to the Future

elinox

throwback-thursday-bttf-rtr-0.png

Since October 21, 2015 we’ll have flying cars and hoverboards, I thought a Back to the Future themed challenge would be fun. So, Great Scott my 11th challenge is now on!

Main Quest

To live a healthy and balanced life by exercising and trying to eat healthy.

My motivation

I've successfully dropped weight by counting calories so my diet will mostly be staying the same with 1200 calories per day M-F and then blow meals on the weekends. I've managed to put on some muscle in an effort to become stronger by weightlifting and I’ve discovered that I love lifting heavy things!

However, since I have neck pain, for this challenge I’m going to go easy on lifting weights. I want to take a bit of a break from the more serious weight lifting I’ve done in the past in an effort to try to help my neck heal. Nothing else has worked, so maybe not lifting as much will? I’m not giving weightlifting up entirely, since I love being the tank, but I do want to not focus on poundage so much as form and function for this challenge.

So I’m *gulp* joining the Scouts this time to focus on speed and endurance!

Smaller Quests

1. “Run for fun? What the hell kind of fun is that?†-Saloon Old Timer #3, Back to the Future III

Marty does a lot of running throughout the trilogy; from Bif and his cronies to the Libyan terrorists.

I am not a runner and never aspire to be one. I’m of the mind that I don’t run unless something is chasing me (t-rex, zombies, otters). But in the case of this challenge and in an effort to be a True Hero, I am going to practice this hated exercise and try to at least not die while doing it.

Run three times per week working my way up to running for at least 30 minutes by the end of this challenge. I’m starting with running 10 minutes straight during week #1, 15 minutes during week #2, 20 minutes during week #3 & #4, 25 minutes during week #5, and, hopefully, 30 full minutes during week #6.

Week 1: 10 minutes

Week #2: 15 minutes

Week #3 & #4: 20 minutes

Week #5: 25 minutes

Week #6: 30 minutes

Since I’m not a runner by nature, I’m going to strive to simply run the allotted time length and not a set amount of times per week.

Scoring: /6 (one for each week’s achieved)

Reward: +3 to STA & +3 to DEX

2. “Save the clock tower!†-Back to the Future

Without the clock tower to supply the lightning and power, Marty would never have gotten back to his own time. Doc must have climbed a lot of stairs, and quickly, to get up there to fix the wire in the first movie. While I’m not climbing stairs, I am going to continue working on getting my first dead-hang pull-up.

I was thrilled when I attempted a pull-up with my arms flexed at about 120 degrees so it gave me hope that one day I will be able to do one from a full dead-hang. I am going to continue working towards my first dead-hang pull-up by lifting weights.

a. Rows: 45lbs → 55lbs

b. Assisted Pull-ups: 25lbs → 15lbs assist

Scoring: /10 days

Reward: +2 to STR (+1 for each completed)

3. “Hey, Frisbee. Far out!†-Marty McFly, Back to the Future III

Frisbees back in the Old West were a brand name for pies and Marty recognizes it and refers to the toy when he sees a Frisbee pie tin in the old west.

I need to go back to limiting my sweet treats during the week since processed sugar is evil. So I’m going back to no sweet treats M-F. Last challenge, I tried eating more veggies but since I’m so picky when it comes to green stuff, I only had carrots and red beets. Focusing on not having junk food during the week has worked before so I’m going back to that for this challenge.

However, since I’m at the beach the week of September 12-19, I’m not counting sweet treats then. Because: ICE CREAM!!!

Scoring: /25

Reward: +2 to CON & +2 to CHA

4. “When this baby hits 80mph, you’re going to see some serious shit!†-Doc, Back to the Future

While not explicitly stated in any of the movies, being fluent in another language is incredibly useful! And I’m sure Doc speaks several.

I really enjoyed practicing Spanish a few challenges ago so I’m going back to it. I want to focus on practicing for 30 minutes per day, M-F.

Scoring: /25 days

Reward: +3 to WIS

Let's do this!

tumblr_nuccb7EkNr1rd893vo1_1280.jpg

• Like 2

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

I remember when I saw BTTF2 at the cinema it was all so futuristic.

Look at us now, it's still the same as the 80's but with the Internet.

Good luck on your challenge.

Unfortunately, I've never seen any of the trilogy in theatres. I'm hoping they bring them back someday though!

And thanks! ;)

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

great_scott_back_to_the_future.gif

GREAT theme! 

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37
Current Challenge : ----

Welcome to the Scouts! You're remarks about running made me think that you may be interested in the Zombies!Run app (there is also the Zombies!5K app which is like a zombie filled C25K program). It's very well put together and makes trainign much more interesting! Plus, it's available on Android and iPhone!

QengpuBenal, level 4 High Elf Ranger STR5| DEX 2| STA13| CON 6| WIS 19| CHA 6

Battle Log

"I want to live in a world where normal is an insult." - Misha Collins

Yes! I am down for Back to the Future. Love your theme!

• Like 1

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

Welcome to the Scouts! You're remarks about running made me think that you may be interested in the Zombies!Run app (there is also the Zombies!5K app which is like a zombie filled C25K program). It's very well put together and makes trainign much more interesting! Plus, it's available on Android and iPhone!

My husband has used that app before. It sounds interesting, but since I don't have a smart phone (*gasp*, I know) I wouldn't be able to use it anyway. 

And thanks!

Current Challenge: 

I adore your theme. I just watched the third one a few nights ago. I don't have TV at home (*gasp*) so I channel surf like mad when I first get to a gig house that has one.

Running can be tough to love if you're just running. I wonder where you will be able to run around where you live and work? Trail running is da bomb if you ask me. And kinder to your feet. If you like to hike, you can add hill sprints to your route and do an interval type of running. And if you have a running buddy, all the better sometimes.

I am so with you on the junk food goal. It has been a really tough year for me and junk food has rooted itself in my life again and I want to rip the roots out and not fall victim to the sugar monster every time I'm stressed by life. What kind of tactics do you use to steer clear of the sugar?

My one concern is your goal for pull ups. Love the goal, but will it interfere with your neck trying to heal?

So welcome to the Scouts, ask all the questions, and have a great challenge!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

My favorite of the trilogy is the third movie: I love the Old West! :)

Since I've been utilizing my work's gym over my lunch break, my running will most likely consist of using a treadmill. Not very exciting, but I want to focus on just trying to run longer since everyone I've talked to says that it gets better (and easier) the longer you run. Like everyone gets into their groove or something. I'm still skeptical, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Besides, training to run is never a bad fitness goal!

As for those evil processed sugary sweets, I've found that I can go Monday through Friday with less of them pretty easily as long as I still have something sweet on the weekends. With my calorie intake, it's just too hard to save calories for junk food when I only have so many for the day. But it's much easier if I simply don't buy things like Twinkies at the store! I'm much less likely go out at night for a snack, so as long as I plan ahead and get healthier alternatives (popcorn, fruit, etc.) it works well.

And I'm hoping that simply focusing on pull-ups and not lifting as many heavy things will help with some of my neck strain. At this point, I've tried pretty much everything else! And both my doctor and chiropractor don't think I should give up weights entirely (thank goodness!).

Thanks!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Great start this week as I'm on vacation and just did 30 minutes of Spanish practice! It's been awhile since I practiced and I didn't really forget anything so far! :)

Spanish: 1/25

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

I'm the same with junk food - I'll eat it if it's in the house, so it's better for me to just not buy it at all! 

I used to hate the treadmill but I must have found my groove on it! It's so useful for accurate calculations although it can get plenty boring. 

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

And I'm hoping that simply focusing on pull-ups and not lifting as many heavy things will help with some of my neck strain. At this point, I've tried pretty much everything else! And both my doctor and chiropractor don't think I should give up weights entirely (thank goodness!).

I hope this isn't a depressing thing to say, but pull-ups and rows have been my biggest cause of neck pain in the past. Squats and bench have never been an issue and deadlifts have only once caused my neck an issue before.

I hope this isn't a depressing thing to say, but pull-ups and rows have been my biggest cause of neck pain in the past. Squats and bench have never been an issue and deadlifts have only once caused my neck an issue before.

When you stopped doing pull-ups and rows did your neck pain go away? If so, I'm willing to give anything a try at this point!

Current Challenge: 

Now that I'm back from vacation, my challenge can get off the ground! I did manage one day of Spanish last week, and had actually intended to run once, but that, of course, fell by the wayside when I was faced with relaxing on the beach and reading all day long. :P

I practiced my Spanish today and managed to run for 10 whole minutes. (I still dislike running as things hurt when I do it.)

Spanish: 2/25

Running: 1/6

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Cripes but today my legs hurt from my running yesterday! How do you runners deal with sore thigh muscles? Ouch!

Sweet Treats: 1/25

Spanish: 3/25

Weights: 1/10

Current Challenge: 

Over my lunch break, I was riding bike, to give weights and running a break in the middle of my week, but when my kindle died, I figured, 'screw it' and ran for 15 minutes straight. 

Sweet Treats: 2/25

Spanish: 4/25

Running: 2/6

Current Challenge: 

I just didn't have the energy/focus for Spanish today.  :upset:

Sweet Treats: 4/25

Weights: 2/10

Current Challenge: 

I ran over my lunch break for 20 minutes straight! When I was finished, I didn't feel particularly winded, I was just sweaty. 

Running: 3/6

Spanish: 6/25

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

I'm wondering if I should just call this challenge a bust?

I've been lax about doing anything the past two weeks or so since my Grandma passed away. My sweet treat eating was terrible all of last week and I didn't practice Spanish or get to do weights either. The only thing I've been decent at has been the running but I'm not to the hardest part of that yet.

Maybe I should just cancel this challenge and start again for the next one?

Current Challenge: 

I'd say 1/3 of your challenge is going well. The language piece is working for ya. Another 1/3 is going alright so far. Lifting heavy is awesome! The sweats is a tough one right now. I get that. So how can the rest of the challenge help you? Can it be tweaked or massaged into a more specific goal? Is the sweets count too rigid to get anywhere or is it too loose and you feel like you're losing ground every time you eat a sweet?

Your goals don't have to stay in the vacuum of what was priority three weeks ago. What would your challenge look like now?

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!