In which Sarah Barr does Intermittent Fasting (Challenge 12)

Sarah Barr

Merry Autumn, everyone!

enhanced-buzz-4706-1322256926-16.jpg

This challenge will be the twelfth of a dozen documented attempts now, and I'm still floating around the same weight I've been for years. I cannot seem to control the amount and quality of the food I eat for more than a couple of weeks, so you know what? This time, I'm not even going to bother imposing a calorie limit or a portion size limit, I'm just going to say:

Goal 1:

Eat whatever I damn well like. But:

• I have to cook it myself, from scratch, using items that are recognisable as bits of plant, fungus, bits-of-plant-or-fungus-that-have-been-turned-into-something-pretending-to-be-bits-of-animal, or something that came directly out of an animal. Seasonings don't count.*
    • EDIT: I hate Week 0 Sarah, she does not consider my feelings. The main substance of my meal has to follow the above; once I've finished eating that, I will then proceed to eat whatever couscous/bread/cheese might be within reach. 
  • I am only allowed to eat it between the hours of 7 and 8 at night.
  • Five portions of fruit and veg have to be consumed in that hour regardless of what it is I cook. 

I suspect that with those caveats, I am going to end up eating about 1500kcal in one sitting because there are only so many calories you can fit into a person when you can't eat pasta or chocolate unless you've made it yourself from plants and despair. Snacking during the day will be combated by leaving my purse and cash at home. Snacking at home will be combated by not having anything suitable in cupboards. Even flour. No flour for Sarah. Tasty tasty flour. (Honestly, I will snap and make terrible pancakes otherwise.)

Goal 2:

Build on walking home from work every night by walking to work as well; I'm going to see how that goes this preparatory week, and if it is terrible I will start Week 1 by walking to work once as well as home five times, and gradually build up to work-and-back five times a week from there. It's all uphill on the way to work, and I expect to be able to crack a man's skull between my thighs by the end or I shall be requesting my money back. Not that I've paid anyone any money.

Goal 3:

Spend Sundays organising everything I'll need for the following week. Will involve the following, in order.

- Laundry; and organise five work outfits on hangers for the week ahead like I imagine extremely fashionable people do/n't.

- Do cupboard stock taking, work out a shopping list.

- Take out just enough cash for food shopping.

- Go food shopping, and do not touch debit card. Leave debit card at home if possible. 

- Cook for week ahead; freeze meals.

- Do dishes.

- Take out rubbish, hoover. 

- Hair mask, sauna, shower, moisturise, manicure, pedicure; because I feel a bit grim after housework and not buying snacks, and because self-care is important anyway.

- Spend rest of the day reading.

Life Goal: 

...Actually, I think that's probably enough for this challenge, don't you? Oh, wait, no!

LIFE GOAL:

TALK TO PEOPLE ON THE FORUMS THEY ARE YOUR FRIENDS AND YOU ARE A BIG BUTTOCK FOR NOT TALKING TO ANYONE FOR THE WHOLE OF LAST CHALLENGE.

No points because DAMMIT SARAH GO TALK TO PEOPLE. 

There, I have even made a note on my work to-do list for tomorrow to make time during lunch to talk to people. Proper reading-threads-and-saying-hello-and-congratulating-on-progress talking rather than a snatched five minutes of liking old posts.

Monitoring: 

- POST ON YOUR THREAD POST ON YOUR THREAD POST ON YOUR THREAD. Post things about what you ate, how cranky you are, how much sleep you got and why, how much water you drank; not as if it were a lab experiment, but just to see if there are patterns you can manipulate to make life easier. Say, if you have a really easy day, what did you eat the night before, and can you replicate that really easy day by eating the same thing and going to bed at the same time?

- Weigh self weekly. 

* Clarification of Ridiculousness:  I know it sounds convoluted and stupid, and I'm really not convinced by the "clean eating" evangelism that happens a lot these days, but it's not about "eating clean", it's about establishing an arbitrary but entertaining rule that will force me to strongly consider the value of what I put into my mouth and eat my vegetables. Is it really worth all that effort turning wheat and milk into a plate of macaroni cheese? Or is it not better in every way to make a big vegetable casserole? And if I do somehow make macaroni cheese from absolute scratch, won't that be pure dead magic? 

• Like 6

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

WEEK 1 RESULTS:

Monday:  - Walked to and from work.    (+2)            Friday:  - Walked to and from work. (+2)

- Five freggies accomplished (+5)                         - Four freggies snaffled       (+4)

- Fasted successfully            (+1)                          - Fasted successfully           (+1)

Tuesday:  - Walked Calton Hill and from work (+2)   Saturday: - Walking Rest Day (Bonus points for any walking - Did not do.) (+0)

- Five freggies scarfed                      (+5)                   - Four freggies eaten      (+4)

- Fasted successfully                         (+1)                  - Fasted successfully!        (+1)

Wednesday: - Walked to and from work (+2)           Sunday: - Walking Rest Day (SIT DOWN.)

- 4/5 freggies                         (+4)                         - Five freggies eaten (+5)

- Fasted successfully             (+1)                         - Fasted successfully (+1)

Thursday:  - Walked to and from work       (+2)                                                       

- All five freggies                         (+5)

- Fasted successfully (16h fast) (+1)

SUMMARY: - Walking:   10/10 possible (6+ to pass)
                    - Freggies: 32/35 possible (20+ to pass)

- Fasting:   7/7 Fasts (4+ to pass)

Total: 49/52 (30+ to pass)

START WEIGHT: 106.6kg

Week 1 End: 104.9kg

• Like 1

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

Week 2 Results:

Monday:  - Walked to and from work.    (+2)            Friday:  - Walked to and from work (+2)

- Five freggies accomplished (+5)                         - Five Freggies                   (+5)

- Fasted successfully            (+1)                          - Fasted successfully          (+1)

Tuesday:  - Walked to and from work      (+2)         Saturday: - Walking Rest Day (Bonus points for any walking - None) (+0)

- Six freggies snaffled (yeee)    (+5)                         - Threeee freggies (boo)  (+3)

- Fasted successfully                (+1)                         - Fasted successfully        (+1)

Wednesday: - Walked to and from work  (+2)          Sunday: - Rested (+0)

- Five freggies                      (+5)                       - Four freggies (+4)

- Fasted successfully            (+1)                      - Fasted successfully (16h)  (+1)

Thursday:  - Walked to and from work     (+2)

- Five freggies                        (+5)

- Fasted successfully              (+1)

- Freggies: 32/35 possible (20+ to pass)

Total: 49/52 (30+ to pass)

RUNNING TOTAL: 97/312 (180+ to pass)

Week 1 Weight: 104.9kg

Week 2 Weight: 103.8kg

To-Do List

Week 3 Results:

Monday:  - Walked equivalent work distance    (+2)            Friday:  -  Walked equivalent work distance  (+2)

- Five freggies                       (+5)                         - Three Freggies                   (+3)

- Fasted successfully            (+1)                          -  Did not fast (+0)

Tuesday:  -  Walked equivalent work distance   (+2)         Saturday: - Walking Rest Day (Bonus points for any walking - None) (+0)

- Two freggies                                   (+2)                         - Four freggies (+4)

- Fasted successfully        (16h)        (+1)                         -  Did not fast (+0)

Wednesday: -  Walked equivalent work distance   (+2)          Sunday: - Rested (+0)

- Three freggies             (+3)                                       - Five freggies (+5)

- Fasted successfully     (16h)       (+1)                      -  Did not fast (+0)

Thursday:  -  Walked equivalent work distance     (+2)

- Five freggies   (+5)

- Fasted successfully (16h)

- Freggies: 27/35 possible (20+ to pass)

- Fasting:   4/7 Fasts (4+ to pass)

Total: 41/52 (30+ to pass)

RUNNING TOTAL: 138/312 (180+ to pass)

Week 2 Weight: 103.8kg

Week 3 Weight: Forgot to measure.

To-Do List

Week 4 Results:

Monday: - Walked to and from work                                 (+2)    Friday: - Walked to and from work   (+2)

- Five freggies (I ate nasty dried pineapple for                           - Four freggies                     (+4)

the glory of Waffledom, I hope you're HAPPY.)  (+5)               - Fasted successfully            (+1)

- Fasted successfully (proper 23h fast!)               (+1)

Tuesday: - Walked to and from work                              (+2)     Saturday: - No walking                         (-2 points because of the way of pain)

- Four freggies                                                 (+4)                      - Six freggies                        (+6)

- Fasted successfully                                        (+1)                      - Fasted successfully (16h) (+1)

Wednesday: - Walked to and from work                        (+2)    Sunday:    - No walking                          (+0)

- Five freggies                                              (+5)                     - Five freggies                       (+5)

- Fasted successfully                                     (+1)                   - Fasted successfully (16h)    (+1)

Thursday: - Walked to and from work                             (+2)

- SEVEN freggies                                             (+7)

- Fasted successfully                                        (+1)

SUMMARY: - Walking:   8/10 possible (6+ to pass)
                  - Freggies: 36/35 possible (20+ to pass)

Total: 51/52 (30+ to pass)

RUNNING TOTAL: 189/312 (180+ to pass)

Week 3 Weight: 103.8kg (Measured Tuesday morning)

Week 4 Weight: 103.1kg

To-Do List

Week 5 Results:

Monday: - Walked to and from work         (+2)                  Friday:

- Five freggies                          (+5)       

- Fasted successfully                 (+1)

Tuesday: - Walked to and from work        (+2)                  Saturday:

- Six freggies                            (+6)

- Fasted successfully                 (+1)

Wednesday:                                                                 Sunday:    

Thursday:

SUMMARY: - Walking:   4/10 possible (6+ to pass)
                  - Freggies: 11/35 possible (20+ to pass)

- Fasting:   2/7 Fasts (4+ to pass)

Total: X/52 (30+ to pass)

RUNNING TOTAL: 189+X/312 (180+ to pass)

Week 4 Weight: 103.1kg

Week 5 Weight: ?

To-Do List

Week 6 Results:

Something

Vegetables

Fruit

Did do some walking!

Too ill to do fasts properly. 

To-Do List

(Space for an additional image of a hungover-looking tortoise eating a pumpkin)

Animal-pictures-of-the-week.jpg

• Like 3

To-Do List

Following of course.  For the drunken tortoises naturally.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Following! I hear ya on the struggles though. Don't feel weird because a lot of people here have found they have lost very little and in cases even gained some since being here. It's hard but we're all in it together and you know where to find me if you need support. 

Have you read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan? It's very much in line with what you said about not being convinced about clean eating and he promotes a balanced diet with food you enjoy. He also recommends drinking a glass of wine every evening with dinner and making food pleasurable so he's a winner in my mind. 

But it's great to have you back in the Sex Cult :D 

• Like 2

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Welcome back to the doodlies :)

Following you off course!

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Hi there! I think your goal three sounds like a life quest and a goal rolled up into one. :) What a great way to set up your weeks for success!

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

I'm going to look up that book, Deftona! :D

If you feel that you keep getting stuck after a few weeks; what do you think the reason is?

Hi Teros! 
It's odd, it's not as if I say "forget this" and order pizza one day, it's that I just... forget it. Something new and shiny crops up in my life and I end up forgetting about whatever it is I'm doing for my health. It's like that with basically everything in my life - a couple of weeks and it gets squashed under something newer. I think it's why I really need to make a serious effort to post on here every day, and to read about everyone else: so that it can stay the most exciting thing I have going on. And it's why I'm having to put in so many failsafes, like hiding my debit card for most of the week, because I'm not going to deliberately go out there and buy lunch, but I am going to find myself halfway through a cheese toastie one busy day if I don't take precautions. 

Today's going to be a trial run for the fasting, I'm going to see how far I can make it through the day, and break the fast early if I need to with a fruit smoothie. Then I'll see if I can make it a little bit further the next day. I'm not expecting to be able to do the whole fast at once yet, but hopefully I'll get closer and closer as the challenge progresses. 

• Like 2

To-Do List

Today's going to be a trial run for the fasting, I'm going to see how far I can make it through the day, and break the fast early if I need to with a fruit smoothie. Then I'll see if I can make it a little bit further the next day. I'm not expecting to be able to do the whole fast at once yet, but hopefully I'll get closer and closer as the challenge progresses. 

Good luck! I did IF during one of my challenges. I ended up binging in my feeding window, so last challenge I dealt with the binging ;)

I'm curious to see how this will work for you.

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

It's odd, it's not as if I say "forget this" and order pizza one day, it's that I just... forget it. Something new and shiny crops up in my life and I end up forgetting about whatever it is I'm doing for my health. It's like that with basically everything in my life - a couple of weeks and it gets squashed under something newer. I think it's why I really need to make a serious effort to post on here every day, and to read about everyone else: so that it can stay the most exciting thing I have going on. And it's why I'm having to put in so many failsafes, like hiding my debit card for most of the week, because I'm not going to deliberately go out there and buy lunch, but I am going to find myself halfway through a cheese toastie one busy day if I don't take precautions. 

Failsafes for me:

1) Never go on facebook or other social media.  Wanting to socialize automatically = NF.

2) Batch cook once a week

3) Never bother with my debit card

4) Ready to go snack in the card in case of emergency (metal tin filled with cashews and raisins).

• Like 1

Failsafes for me:

1) Never go on facebook or other social media.  Wanting to socialize automatically = NF.

2) Batch cook once a week

3) Never bother with my debit card

4) Ready to go snack in the card in case of emergency (metal tin filled with cashews and raisins).

That's smart advice!

Made it right through the whole 23 hour fast! Found three main sticking points:

- 1.) I need to find somewhere food-free to hide in on my lunch break. Bit cold for the park. Might lurk in the art gallery. 

- 2.) Morphed into an unholy pig-beast in the 24th hour; have learned that a normal dinner is actually quite enough to break my fast.

- 3.) Couldn't bring myself to walk home. I think I can override this once I've learned it's mostly a mental thing.

My three current potential solutions are:

- Either stick with it and trust that I'll be able to get used to it

- Have a fruit smoothie at about 3pm but nothing more till 7

- Do a 16 hour fast as standard instead, with half my food intake at lunch and half at dinner. 

Today's an eating-as-usual day, tomorrow I'll do the full 23 hours again because I have the dentist anyway, and I'll try the other two solutions over the weekend.

• Like 3

To-Do List

That's smart advice!

Made it right through the whole 23 hour fast! Found three main sticking points:

- 1.) I need to find somewhere food-free to hide in on my lunch break. Bit cold for the park. Might lurk in the art gallery. 

- 2.) Morphed into an unholy pig-beast in the 24th hour; have learned that a normal dinner is actually quite enough to break my fast.

- 3.) Couldn't bring myself to walk home. I think I can override this once I've learned it's mostly a mental thing.

My three current potential solutions are:

- Either stick with it and trust that I'll be able to get used to it

- Have a fruit smoothie at about 3pm but nothing more till 7

- Do a 16 hour fast as standard instead, with half my food intake at lunch and half at dinner. 

Today's an eating-as-usual day, tomorrow I'll do the full 23 hours again because I have the dentist anyway, and I'll try the other two solutions over the weekend.

Might it be that you couldn't face walking home because you were lacking in energy having fasted for so long? Maybe experiment with a smoothie and see if it gives you a push. 

I have tried intermittent fasting and found a 4 hour eating window worked best for me. I'd fast until 6pm, eat a large dinner and then something small for dessert and then have another snack before 10 and then fast through again. I work from home though which means I can nap or take it easy if I need to. If you find the 23 hour fast to be a bit long you could also allow yourself to just eat veg when you fast because this is low calorie and joyless enough to mean you would only eat it if you are genuinely hungry.

Are you calorie counting too?

• Like 2

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Might be! I'm thinking a smoothie at 5pm for walking energy and a 7pm proper meal will be enough, but I'll see how I go and change if necessary.

Not going to stick to a calorie limit, I think my daft guidelines of "only eat recognisable plant/fungus parts, milk, and eggs" will take care of most of that for me. But I am going to monitor my intake so I can see where I'm going wrong if I do feel I'm going wrong. 

Just finished The Shepherd's Crown so I'm a bit dehydrated right now from all the bitter weeping (seriously, guys) and must drink much tea. I've stocked up on caffeine tablets so I can get a caffeine fix in a pinch during fasting periods without becoming a sugarfree energy drink fiend.

Today wasn't a fast day after all because I have food to use up at home that I want gone before the challenge but I'm not quite willing to throw it into the bin. 

Ahhh, tea. 

See, I was going to add an image of me saying farewell to a big-ass cup of tea in front of a majestic ocean liner in a swoony 40s movie way so I googled in the hope of somehow finding said image and all I found were weird teas called things like "Goodbye Tea" which, honestly, sounds like arrrrrsenic to me. 

Hang on, let me find MS Paint. 

Nah, 's no loading, you'll just have to imagine it. Here is a miscellaneous chelonian who has become one with the pumpkin instead. Behold its gourdlike power.

etsy-featured-shop-mossy-tortoise-katie-

• Like 2

To-Do List

Right then!

- Massive vat of vegetable chilli, carefully prepared to fulfill my five-portions-of-freggies requirements for the week, portioned out and in freezer: Check!

- Debit card (AND that voucher for free food at health shop; I saw you plotting, Future Me.) removed from wallet and squirreled away in a drawer: Check!

- Long list of people to read the threads of and say HELLO to tomorrow: CHECK!

- Nothing in fridge at work that would let me break my fast early: Check!

- Sugarfree gum and caffeine tablets, so that in emergencies I have something to occupy my mouth and stop me crawling to Starbucks: Check!

- Comfortable walking shoes still in existence: Check!

- Start weight recorded: Check! (106.6kg)

I am a prepared little potato. 

• Like 4

To-Do List

And how could I not follow the amazing Sarah Barr? :)

You're the reason I didn't give up on these forums after my first challenge. I owe you a huge thanks for keeping tabs on me when I was a newbie.

So,

THANKS!

• Like 1

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?