The Courtyard (Monks General Chat Thread)

Chen Wangting

RP Edit - I want this info at the top and the topic Merge function didn't do my bidding.  So post editing it is.

Welp, it's almost time for the new challenge!

New Challenge begins September 14th and goes until October 25th!

Feel free to ask questions, or just ramble about.  And if you have some free time, stop by the Recruit forum to search for some potential Monks!.

Otherwise, chatter away!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

* sweeps the courtyard with a broom so that it looks good for the new recruits... ;-)

• Like 2

Welp, it's almost time for the new challenge!

New Challenge begins September 14th and goes until October 25th!

Feel free to ask questions, or just ramble about.  And if you have some free time, stop by the Recruit forum to search for some potential Monks!.

Otherwise, chatter away!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

*tiptoes int the courtyard and seats herself quietly in a corner as not to disturb the mighty monks*

I feel a bit... unfit, or intimidated. Everyone of you has so beautiful laid out challenges, oftentimes with added sparkle and gifs. It seems like you know exactly where you are and what you want. I admire that. Yet it scares me - because I don't see myself that clearly. I've done a few challenges now, and none of them was truly clearly structured. How do you all do that? In addition, I really want to give back what you all have given me in support and encouragement, but when I come across someone successful, I get intimidated again and feel like a failure. That's the reason why I hardly take part in the boards, and I feel a bit guilty because it must look like I'd not care, which is just not true. Low self-esteem? Yep, you got it...

I hope this is the right place for that. If not, please point me into the right direction :)

self-esteem.jpg?resize=600%2C749

... don't do that. You rock.  I mean, you're in the Monk's forum, so you're clearly better than everyone who's NOT here, am I right?  

I'm right.

What kind of 'structure' do you want? Most of us just look at 

• where we are now
  • where we WANT to be
  • what we need to do to get from here to there
  • what we can do in the next six weeks to further that goal

Then just break it down from there. I look at my deficiencies (and there's MANY of them... check my challenge thread for my last few nights at MMA) and I figure out how to best overcome them. Preferably violently.  Because Monk.

MONK.

• Like 4

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

And gifs or a theme don't make a successfull challenge. Look at my second challenge. It didn't work out. It's more important to be determined and know oneselfs boundarys. Don't try to do too much.

And hey you can aleays shot me a PM ( even in German ^^) i've been struggling with low self-esteem for a long time and I still do sometimes.

Edit: even now I suspect I could fall back into old habits, because reason... Totally unreasonable.

• Like 3

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

I love you guys. Probably say that a lot here, but it's true - NF, and Monks especially, are awesome.

I've started to compile a list of stuff I want to do, and it already helps clearing my mind somewhat. Will refine that and post in the next few days. And if that  sucks? Well, then it does! :D

Luciana, thanks for the offer, I'll may take you up on it :) I've some history with therapy and made some improvements, but there are just days when I fall off the progress wagon (as I now think of it... earlier today there was a small discussion at work, and someone said something that triggered an old defense mechanism of mine. That may have contributed to me feeling so overwhelmed tonight when reading all your challenges in search of inspiration - part of me is still cowering in fear like it did for a long time).

Probably should just go to bed now. Tomorrow will be better :)

• Like 3

Thrillho and Luciana already given you fantastic advice and I think that you're doing great by compiling a list of stuff.  After you have the list down, perhaps choosing just a few things to you feel you can achieve in the next 6 weeks will hopefully make it seem less daunting :).

Probably should just go to bed now. Tomorrow will be better :)

Take things one day at a time :D.  Hope you rest well!

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

@Shibara: Don't be to hard on your self. I think a big part of the challenges is learning and getting to know yourself better and to learn to get back on the horse if you fall of.

So don't worry if you haven't it all figured it. I think the challenges are a big help in figuring out things. Try some things for the first challenge and see if and how it works out. If i didn't work out or you fail in some way ask yourself and others "why". I you have thought about what went wrong and got some feedback, try to work that into your next challenge or try to change your approach to your current challenge.

It will get better! :)

If you want to chat or get support in german. Feel free to contact me as well.

*tiptoes int the courtyard and seats herself quietly in a corner as not to disturb the mighty monks*

I feel a bit... unfit, or intimidated. Everyone of you has so beautiful laid out challenges, oftentimes with added sparkle and gifs. It seems like you know exactly where you are and what you want. I admire that. Yet it scares me - because I don't see myself that clearly. I've done a few challenges now, and none of them was truly clearly structured. How do you all do that? In addition, I really want to give back what you all have given me in support and encouragement, but when I come across someone successful, I get intimidated again and feel like a failure. That's the reason why I hardly take part in the boards, and I feel a bit guilty because it must look like I'd not care, which is just not true. Low self-esteem? Yep, you got it...

I am not a successful monk.  I'm not very fit and I fail a lot of my challenges.  What I am is a monk who keeps showing up and trying things.  Which is why I pass myself even on challenges that I have really failed, because fundamentally I want to keep showing up and trying again.  That's the one martial arts lesson I'm trying to take from the mat and apply to other parts of my life: I am okay with failing, so long as I keep showing up and trying to get better. 

So if the pressure to perform is getting to you, do a challenge that's just about showing up.  You pass if you post regularly.  You're teaching yourself to do the next skill you need to improve at your challenges.  Or play with what sort of challenge you think will work best for you.  A challenge that has one single goal all the way through?  A challenge that has a new theme each week to adapt to what you need that week?  Try it.  Anything can be a challenge.  No one will tell you it's too little.  They might tell you it's too big. Just experiment.  What's the worst that could happen?  A challenge that doesn't work out great or bores you.  And the fix for that is to change it when you know there's a problem, or to show up again next time with a new challenge.  Literally no negative consequences.

GIFs aren't worth bothering with if they're a source of stress or a big timesink.  Just use them if they help.  I started using Avatar gifs just because it made me smile to throw one onto my posts.  It doesn't even really matter which one.

fdb.jpg

See?  Every one's a winner.  Thirty seconds of effort, instant smile.  If you want GIFs, just pick something you love to use as a theme, figure out the best way to make Google Image Search give you piles of it, and put a random one in your posts.  But only if the extra effort rewards you in warm fuzzy feelings.  They're not necessary, they don't make your thread "better" for others.  They might make it better for you.  Or not.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

@Shibara: I set mine up very different last challenge and ended up loving it (but it's very unstructured compared to a lot)... maybe that will spark some sort of inspiration? Mine is more like a game instead of a graded or pass fail things. I had a hard time my first few (like 3 or so) challenges because I'd see myself not being able to mentally keep up with things, and then just give up!

Right now my goal is 15 points a day, and other than the few food points, and going to Kung Fu Class, it's really up to me how I get those points. 

If you need help setting something up like that let me know I'd be more than willing to lend a hand!

200.gif

• Like 1

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

Shibara - you did great last challenge :-)  No feeling bad about that!  This one can be more of the same or completely different.  Good luck with your list and sleeping. 

Glitter and gifs are optional and only for fun, not stress.  Sara's right though, Avatar and Korra have the best gifs.

• Like 2

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Hi Monks! Thanks for the warm welcome in my Recruits thread - I definitely want to hang around here during my first challenge and glean any support and advice from you all.

As for my monk-ness, I started doing Kungfu a year ago this past August and am about a quarter way into the third form at my school - south bo staff. I go to class 3 times a week and competed in the beginners ICMAC 2015 for my first two forms: O-Mei fist and Southfist. I haven't yet learned straight sword but so far that is the weapon I am looking forward to learning the most. After Bo Staff, our sifu usually teaches Tiger and then an internal form (Shingyi or Baji, not sure which one is first in his curriculum) before the first sword. Here is a 

to the version of south fist I learned (I have been using this as my expert example when I train at home).

Good luck to you all this challenge!

(I am reposting this from here, figured out the paths and that one was a wrap up of the July-Sept challenge. sorry bout the mixup!)

• Like 4

"You'll never leave where you are until you decide where you'd rather be."

Race: Hybrid Elemental Dragon Spirit || Class: Recruit following the Monks around

Attributes:  0 STR | 0 DEX | 0 STA | 0 WIS | 0 CHA | 0 CON

Track my first challenge here

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Suck it up and SHINE: Perfect my Morning Ritual daily

7%
7%

Become a Strong Lady Ninja 5-6 days/week

40%
40%

Become a Flexible and Agile Lady Ninja 2-3 days/week

36%
36%

Eat Real Food, 90-110g protein/day

41%
41%

Jeeze I hope I'm not being lumped in with the successful monks here... It's my first challenge in like... A loooong time, and in the last 2 years I've lost all my muscle and gained 30lbs of fat. But I don't like the trend so I'm going to change the trend. I very easily get overwhelmed too so have to be careful I don't take on too much. Steve has talked about that in a couple blog posts I think. Anyway. Themes and gifts are just sprinkles on he delicious cake of self-empowered changed. :). Or bacon bits on the salad of life goals?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.â€- Mahatma Gandhi

Hi Monks! Thanks for the warm welcome in my Recruits thread - I definitely want to hang around here during my first challenge and glean any support and advice from you all.

As for my monk-ness, I started doing Kungfu a year ago this past August and am about a quarter way into the third form at my school - south bo staff. I go to class 3 times a week and competed in the beginners ICMAC 2015 for my first two forms: O-Mei fist and Southfist. I haven't yet learned straight sword but so far that is the weapon I am looking forward to learning the most. After Bo Staff, our sifu usually teaches Tiger and then an internal form (Shingyi or Baji, not sure which one is first in his curriculum) before the first sword. Here is a link to the version of south fist I learned (I have been using this as my expert example when I train at home).

(I am reposting this from here, figured out the paths and that one was a wrap up of the July-Sept challenge. sorry bout the mixup!)

That is some serious Jackie-chan shit right there. Wow

• Like 1

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.â€- Mahatma Gandhi

Jeeze I hope I'm not being lumped in with the successful monks here... It's my first challenge in like... A loooong time, and in the last 2 years I've lost all my muscle and gained 30lbs of fat. But I don't like the trend so I'm going to change the trend. I very easily get overwhelmed too so have to be careful I don't take on too much. Steve has talked about that in a couple blog posts I think. Anyway. Themes and gifts are just sprinkles on he delicious cake of self-empowered changed. :). Or bacon bits on the salad of life goals?

Changing the trend sounds like a mighty good goal!  Awesome self awareness re the risk of doing all of the things and being overwhelmed. You are completely going to be a massively successful monk!  YAY!!!!! 

As for my monk-ness, I started doing Kungfu a year ago this past August and am about a quarter way into the third form at my school - south bo staff. I go to class 3 times a week and competed in the beginners ICMAC 2015 for my first two forms: O-Mei fist and Southfist. I haven't yet learned straight sword but so far that is the weapon I am looking forward to learning the most. After Bo Staff, our sifu usually teaches Tiger and then an internal form (Shingyi or Baji, not sure which one is first in his curriculum) before the first sword. Here is a 

to the version of south fist I learned (I have been using this as my expert example when I train at home).

Brilliant, just brilliant! 

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321