Working to be a Padawan

TheGreyJedi-Ranger

Final Stats

Eating Fruits and Veggies- A

This was an awesome choice. Now I just automatically look for a fruit/veggie to eat with each meal and essentially built the habit. My eating habits are getting better overall, and I think I'm learning to not do 'binge' days. I'm hoping to try a no binge day challenge for next time's food challenge.

SL 5x5- A

This went well until the end when my knees started flaking out. I'm going to work on getting a different workout plan that will minimize squats. A sad thing since I love squats! But it's time to vary things from SL anyway. 

Other Workouts- A

Worked well as well. I'm glad I had that in there- made life easier! I enjoyed the different things I worked on, hopefully next challenge I can do something similar.

Life Challenge- C

I literally stopped having any spare time. It's obnoxious honestly.

This challenge went okay I think, especially for all the crap that came up with my semester in the middle of it. I'm hoping next one can be a maintaining sort of challenge and that I can start running more. Maybe.  

• Like 7

Grey Jedi Ranger

The Jedi Valkyrie Chronicles: Novice

Jedi Battle Log

“That's the key isn't it? To know the darkness will always remain, but how you choose to face it, handle it... that's the important part. To not let it consume. To focus on the good, the things that fill you with wonder. That struggle with the darkness is worth it to see such things.”

- Amren, A Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. Maas

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45

Good job on your main 3 quests this challenge! Hopefully you can strengthen up your knees during next challenge and get back to doing squats since you love them.

I'm actually super confused because I don't know what's wrong with them. Squats, lunges, sitting/standing, walking up hills, and even walking in low heeled boots are making them ache slightly. It started right before I had to start flaking out on lifting days, and got worse as time went on, even though I was only squatting once a week. I dunno. I'm gonna back off and hope I can get them right.

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

“That's the key isn't it? To know the darkness will always remain, but how you choose to face it, handle it... that's the important part. To not let it consume. To focus on the good, the things that fill you with wonder. That struggle with the darkness is worth it to see such things.”

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45

I'm actually super confused because I don't know what's wrong with them. Squats, lunges, sitting/standing, walking up hills, and even walking in low heeled boots are making them ache slightly. It started right before I had to start flaking out on lifting days, and got worse as time went on, even though I was only squatting once a week. I dunno. I'm gonna back off and hope I can get them right.

Double and triple check your squat form.  If needed, record yourself doing squats so you can watch it after (or post it in the Form Check subforum).  An improperly done squat can be really rough on the knees.  I know this from *ahem* personal experience.  :( 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Double and triple check your squat form.  If needed, record yourself doing squats so you can watch it after (or post it in the Form Check subforum).  An improperly done squat can be really rough on the knees.  I know this from *ahem* personal experience.   :(

I'm wondering if I'm 

1) not going down far enough or

2) doing my squats with feet facing forward

I'm not sure if it's one, both, or neither, but It's been a while since I've done squats by this point so meh. 

At this point I'm wondering if I should rest again tomorrow or just go for it.

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

I'm wondering if I'm 

1) not going down far enough or

2) doing my squats with feet facing forward

I'm not sure if it's one, both, or neither, but It's been a while since I've done squats by this point so meh. 

At this point I'm wondering if I should rest again tomorrow or just go for it.

Maybe just do bodyweight squats?  I find that helps me, especially if I'm worried about my form breaking down.  

Also, keep an eye on knee/toe alignment.  The knee should always be directly over the toe, and moving in the same direction.  Forgive my language, but it's diametrically opposed to the whole concept of "being lady-like". (which is to say, if your toes are pointed outward, your knees must be as well) This is one place where, for me, it was virtually required for me to record my squats, since it's really really hard to tell if the knees are in the correct alignment during the squat.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Maybe just do bodyweight squats?  I find that helps me, especially if I'm worried about my form breaking down.  

Also, keep an eye on knee/toe alignment.  The knee should always be directly over the toe, and moving in the same direction.  Forgive my language, but it's diametrically opposed to the whole concept of "being lady-like". (which is to say, if your toes are pointed outward, your knees must be as well) This is one place where, for me, it was virtually required for me to record my squats, since it's really really hard to tell if the knees are in the correct alignment during the squat.  

Lol no problem :P 

And I might get my bf to record my squat this weekend. At least I'll be able to see it that way. Or he can just form check me from a proper form video.

• Like 2

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

And to build off this, make sure that when you squat your knees do not extend beyond your toes. This puts your weight on your heels and keeps your center of gravity back where it belongs. Primary knee pain when squatting is from knee/toe position.

• Like 2

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

Great job on the challenge!

Definitely take a look at your form on squats and maybe reduce or eliminate the weight for now until they start feeling better or you're sure your form is good. It's better to stay where you are or go back a bit in terms of how much you're lifting than to really hurt yourself.

• Like 1

Level 9 Amazon Druid
STR : 17 | DEX : 23 | STA : 22 | CON : 23 | WIS : 21 | CHA : 15
Challenges: Current, 8, 7.1, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.1, 3, 2, 1
Battle Log

My knees started hurting with squats, and found out it was because my hamstrings were getting super tight. Make sure you're stretching too! 

• Like 1

Try not, do or do not- Yoda