Chelkie’s Quest to Run Faster and Train Smarter

Chelkie

Main Goal: Run Faster (By Training Smarter)

Hello oh wise and tenacious Scouts!

This will be my first challenge in the Scouts guild as my goals have deviated a bit too far from my past home of the Rangers. It’s actually been about a year since my last Nerdfitness post, so I’ve taken quite the hiatus. I’ve been bouncing around from site to site but I’ve really missed NF and all the lovely support I got from it, and the things I learned from following other likeminded peoples advice. I’ve also switched my focus from general fitness to competitive running. Well my dream is competitive running, I’m currently slower than molasses. My current race times are: 2013 – 2hr 13min Half Marathon, 2015- 2hr 39min & 2hr & 28min Half Marathons. Not terrible times I suppose but I have a lot of room for improvement!

Alright enough about me, on to the good stuff!

Goal One: Follow my Training Schedule

For my first three half marathons I followed several 12 week cookie cutter training programs and did pretty well with the focus of just finishing/beating my previous times. Now that I’m more focused on running and speed I thought I should probably try something a bit different and see if I can’t get better results. My father has always been very competitively active and in his youth he raced in the Olympic Qualifiers for biking, and dabbled in running. In an attempt to have some more father daughter bonding time, and to tap into his previous expertise I’ve taken him on as my coach. He’s come up with a 6 week plan that ends with my last half marathon of the 2015 season on October 10th. After that we plan on sorting out a winter training plan that will focus on creating a solid aerobic base to start the 2016 season off with. It’s been quite interesting so far and uses time/heart rate vs distance as my previous plans have used. We shall see how things turn out! My goal for this challenge is to stick to his training plan as religiously as possible.

Complete Each Weeks Training Plan – Day Swaps Are Allowed, No Skipping! - 6 STA (1 Point for Each Week)

70.82%
70.82%

Goal Two: Drink Things!

I’m really bad about staying hydrated, partly out of forgetfulness partly from the annoyance factor of having to pee what seems like every five minutes. I need to suck it up though and focus on this more, as I know this is important for my running performance. My research shows that I should be drinking about 16oz of water for every pound of sweat lost during exercise and 59oz+ in general. As I don’t often have the chance to weight myself before and after exercise (as I trail run from my office most days after work) this will require some extra creativity. I think I’ll plan on doing a few of my shorter runs on the track at the gym and doing a little guessing and math to figure out what my long runs will require. Also at least for this challenge I’m going to allow tea/juice/water count for my fluids because though I know water is best it’s going to take a while to build up the mental strength to drink that much plain water. :tongue:

Drink At Least 59oz of Fluids A Day - 5 CON 

97.62%
97.62%

Goal Three: Figure Out This Nutrition Business

I’ve been counting calories for a while now but I haven’t really been focused on macros or micros or all that craziness. I’m going to try to break into it slowly, and focus on pre/post/during workout nutrition first. As of right now I sometimes have a snack and caffeine about an hour ahead of time, but I’m nowhere near consistent. So first step, figure out what works and what doesn’t, what I can digest and what I feel like helps replenish me ect.

Figure Out a Workout Eating Plan – Try At Least One New Thing A Week Until Satisfied - 4 WIS (Figured This Was Mostly Going To Be Research/Testing Which Is All About Wisdom)

83.33%
83.33%

EDIT: I thought I should probably post all my beginning stats so that I can see what and if there is any improvement by the end of these 6 weeks.

Height: 5'2"

Weight: 118.9

Resting HR: 60

V02Max: 28.4 (from an online calculator using my last HM time)

BF%: 26% (also from an online calculator)

Measurements: 

Waist:29.5

Hips:36
Upper Arm: 11
Upper Leg: 22
Neck :12
Wrist: 6
Forearm: 8
  • Like 3

Level 11 - World's Smallest Norn

Challenges: | Current |11 |10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Welcome welcome! Glad you're back at NF. Sounds like you're lined yourself up for good things with solid goals and plans to get there. 

My experience with pre/post/during workout nutrition is pretty simple

• pre workout - a english muffin/thin bagel with almond butter and banana.
  • during workout - nothing if going for less than an hour, hour or more I use a Clif Shot Blocks as 1 container is 2 servings which will get me through most of my runs
  • post workout - usual brunch but a Clif recovery drink or quest bar will do in a pinch

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 
Current Challenge : # 38 Strickland5 respawns

Welcome back! I totally feel you about the fluids! I try to drink about 100 oz of water a day, and was doing pretty well...then work started again. I work in a school and having to pee every ten minutes is not plausible with my job! Still not sure how I'm going to address this myself!

QengpuBenal, level 4 High Elf Ranger STR5| DEX 2| STA13| CON 6| WIS 19| CHA 6

Battle Log

"I want to live in a world where normal is an insult." - Misha Collins

Welcome welcome! Glad you're back at NF. Sounds like you're lined yourself up for good things with solid goals and plans to get there. 

My experience with pre/post/during workout nutrition is pretty simple

• pre workout - a english muffin/thin bagel with almond butter and banana.
  • during workout - nothing if going for less than an hour, hour or more I use a Clif Shot Blocks as 1 container is 2 servings which will get me through most of my runs
  • post workout - usual brunch but a Clif recovery drink or quest bar will do in a pinch

Thank you, glad to be back! 

You finish your runs with brunch? Fancy! Do you do most of your long runs on the weekend or have you just mastered the quick brunch?

I've tried the clif blocks before, they were pretty tasty but I had a big problem with how large they are and how much chewing is involved. Do you cut them up or eat them right out of the package?

Welcome back! I totally feel you about the fluids! I try to drink about 100 oz of water a day, and was doing pretty well...then work started again. I work in a school and having to pee every ten minutes is not plausible with my job! Still not sure how I'm going to address this myself!

I've heard that it gets better after a few weeks and your body adjusts to the higher fluid intake, but so far I haven't seen any proof of that. If I figure something out i'll let you know!

You finish your runs with brunch? Fancy! Do you do most of your long runs on the weekend or have you just mastered the quick brunch?

I attend the "church of the long run" most Saturday's so ... yeah definitely the weekend :)

Plus brunch is a big deal in Georgia

I've tried the clif blocks before, they were pretty tasty but I had a big problem with how large they are and how much chewing is involved. Do you cut them up or eat them right out of the package?

I don't really have an issue with eating them directly from the package but yeah I could see where it might be a problem due to their gummy nature

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22

Alrighty, Let the Games Begin!

This weeks training schedule is: 

Monday - Aerobic Threshold Run 

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - Intervals

Thursday - Cross Training (I'm thinking elliptical but I also might go swimming) 

Friday - Long Slow Run

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Rest

I'm slowly transitioning into working out more days a week, but I have historically only been working out 3x a week. Also its set to rain almost nonstop all week so i'm going to need all the motivation I can get to run outside. 

This weeks nutrition trial is going to be post exercise recovery. I've always had kind of a weak stomach when it comes to eating after running so i'm going to try a liquid first: chocolate milk. I've read its the perfect combination of carbs:protein 3:1 with some fat. I've also read its important to have something in the first 15-30 minutes to start the recovery process, so i'll try at 30/20/15 min and see how close i can get to post exercise without feeling sick. 

From a previous water-drinking goal, I learned that for me it was easiest to set up mini-goals throughout the day: drink a quarter of my water before leaving for work in the morning, a quarter before lunch, then a quarter before leaving from work, and then a quarter with dinner.  The alternative seemed to be trying to drink it all after 8pm, which was not a good plan.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Monday turned out pretty well! 

Ran my aerobic threshold run on the trail system right next to work, even though it was gloomy and terrible outside. It didn't rain though, and for that I am thankful, I hate soggy shoes!

I also made a derp breakthrough. I've been trying to train via heart rate and I couldn't figure out why my heart rate was so high compared to my relative exertion...turns out my usual workday afternoon energy drink was to blame. Ended up drinking it around noon yesterday instead of 2 because I was so sleepy and by the time my run rolled around, my heart rate was hitting more reasonable numbers. I'm torn between wanting to just adjust my expectations because I know it'll be high with caffeine because it definitely helps me get out the door running, and knowing its probably healthiest just to cut it out of my pre run plan. 

30 min after my run I tested out some strawberry milk as a recovery drink and it was delicious! I'm really not sure the benefit, but I do feel pretty good this morning. 

Drank 72oz yesterday! I took Erik The Red's advice and made it a bit of a mini goal system throughout the day, but I definitely drank the most after my run, about 48oz. 

Drank 64oz on tuesday, definitely found it harder to hit the mark when not exercising. Was my rest day and I spent it gathering stuff for a costume as this Saturday in Anchorage is the Pirate Pub Crawl. You get a treasure map and have to visit all of the bars on it and get a stamp from them and at the end you turn in your map and get put into a drawing for a big prize. They use the money raised for charity and it gives me an excuse to get dressed up like a pirate and drink delicious things, so i'm totally in. 

Only managed to drink 56oz yesterday, I made the mistake of getting distracted, not drinking most of the day and then tried to drink it all at night. Bad plan! 

Wed was interval day and I finally got my new Garmin Forerunner 225 scheduled to work how I wanted it to, which was fantastic! Its so nice to have the schedule all set up so all I have to do is go to the day, hit start and just follow the beeps and directions. :P No muss no fuss! Tried a different type of chocolate milk after this workout and didn't like it as much, though it did have less calories. I think i'll try to tailor which I drink in relation to what kind of workout i've done. Long or very intense runs i'll have the 300 calories recovery drink and after a lighter easier run i'll have the 150 calorie drink. I've read you should have somewhere between 200-300 calories in that 30 minute window so we'll see if that works out. 

225 huh ... fancy 

anigif_enhanced-3819-1402758843-15.gif

I'm told a 4:1 carb to protein ratio is key for post run fooding. 

Half-Ork Scout Leader

Wed was interval day and I finally got my new Garmin Forerunner 225 scheduled to work how I wanted it to, which was fantastic! Its so nice to have the schedule all set up so all I have to do is go to the day, hit start and just follow the beeps and directions. :tongue: No muss no fuss!

This is so great! Tell me more about this magical device. I tried doing an interval run last week using MapMyRun, and was less than impressed.

You've got some great goals here! Good luck!

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Hehe, so fancy. Just got it 3 weeks ago and its been pretty awesome. The only thing I have trouble with is that sometimes the bluetooth link to my phone drops off an refuses to connect, and also the calories estimates are like, crazy high, CRAZY. 

theophilus - It's a magical Garmin gps watch with a built in heart rate monitor. The software they have via garmin connect you can program a calendar of all the workouts you want to do, and then upload them to your device. BAM. Preset workouts. The intervals i've got set to get to <190bpm then hold at 190-200bpm for 1 minute, then when I drop to >140 it will beep at me to start the interval again. Its pretty nice because it will vibrate or beep at you when a new task is starting and it will also vibrate/beep and flash if you've gone out of your specified pace/heart rate ect. I do all my stuff via time & heart rate but you can program all sorts of workouts involving all sorts of specs like pace/heart rate/distance/time ect. Despite it sometimes annoying quirks so far I really really love it.

strickland - I've heard this too, I could only find chocolate milk up to a 3:1 ratio though...I shall dump a big ol spoonful of sugar in it :P then i'll be perfect

strickland - I've heard this too, I could only find chocolate milk up to a 3:1 ratio though...I shall dump a big ol spoonful of sugar in it :tongue: then i'll be perfect

Or maybe a piece of toast or english muffin instead ;)

Half-Ork Scout Leader

64oz of fluids yesterday, didn't find it very hard, I think the increasingly dry winter is coming air is to thank. 

Did my first cross training workout on the elliptical. I have to say, it felt really weird not to be running. Also my legs felt like they didn't know how to walk after an hour of being on there. Overall think i'll only be spending one day a week doing the elliptical and then spend my other extra day just doing an hour long easy run. I might try a stationary bike too, though i've always kind of hated bicycling. I know I know, i'm weird!

In other amusing news, all this talk of training and helping me with running has inspired my dad to get back into running. Maybe we can run some races together! Father daughter bonding time ftw. 

Another weekend done and back to the grindstone! 

Drank 60+ oz of water Fri/Sat/Sun, and actually significantly more Sunday because I was extremely hungover from an excellent time at the Pirate Pub Crawl the night before. 

Friday I completed my LSD run and it went great. Though slightly frustrating as my mileage increases because they are currently working on repaving one of the trails I use, so i've had to use the other one, which is only about 4 miles long, which means i have to do some looping. It was supposed to be complete by Sept 15th, but its been raining like crazy so they are of course quite behind. I have my fingers crossed they'll be finished by Oct 10th though, because the race i'm running uses part of it. 

Alright so this weeks running schedule is as follows:

Monday: Aerobic Threshold 

Tuesday: Elliptical or Easy Run

Wednesday: Intervals

Thursday: LSD

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Rest

I'm taking this long weekend as "rest" days because i'm traveling to a wedding in Homer Friday afternoon, and i'm not sure if i'll be able to get another run in. I'm going to bring all my stuff though, just in case!

Oh also this week i'm going to be trying out a few energy gummy brands during my longer runs. I grabbed some honey stingers to try first, though I was tempted to get the little waffles. Figured if I have a hard time chewing the bloks i'd probably have an equally difficult time chewing a waffle though. 

64oz of water yesterday and a terrible run. :( Perhaps the increase in mileage or that i've started speedwork but i'm getting a nice duo effect from my tight calves. Shin splints AND plantar fascitis. Mild case of both, but it definitely made running the first few miles extremely painful. It's funny how the first couple miles is misery and then suddenly its not so bad and your like alright i've got this, totally make it out to my normal turnaround spot and then BAM it comes back with a vengeance when your the furthest from your car. 

Think I might scrap this weeks plan and head to the dreaded gym to do low impact things. I'm also considering trying that KT tape, has anyone had any results with it?

Took a rest day yesterday and bought some KT tape and some running gloves. Feeling pretty good today, think i'll try a short run around a dirt trail near by house and see how that feels on my shins. I'm hoping if I just back off a bit i'll get better, because having to take any length of time off would stink. :(

I should have had a more scientific approach to my recovery. :P Felt great yesterday, and i'm not sure if it was the rest, ice, compression, elevation, tape, decreasing my run time or running on dirt instead of asphalt. Or a combination of those. I guess I shouldn't complain about success, so i'll just try to remove one variable at a time until A I feel pain again or B I get rid of everything. 

Ran about 3 miles/30 minutes yesterday so about half of what I had scheduled. I think i'll try to increase that to an hour tonight but keep all the other variables the same and see what happens. 

• Like 1

Ran my scheduled hour last night and again felt great. Looking at my training calendar I went from around 13 miles a week to 19 miles and week and then back to 13 miles. Looks like a 30% jump in mileage might be the cause of my mysterious pains or at least a 30% mileage jump on asphalt. I think next week i'll go back to my regularly scheduled program but try to mix in some more elliptical and keep running on the dirt as I increase the mileage.

The only problems I have with the dirt trail is that the first lap man am I so freakin antsy. The brush is in tight against the edge of the trail and the likelihood of coming around a corner and running full on into a moose is really high. By the second lap i'm tired enough I don't really care as much anymore, but I definitely have to keep my head on a swivel. Alaska problems man. Tourists flock here to see the bears and the moose and I wish and hope everyday NOT to see them. 

In other news I stuck to my fluids goal really well this week and I also tried some stinger chews (cherry coke flavored) on my longest run and they were delightful. I don't feel like I really need the sugar boost or anything for how short my runs really are, but they do help keep me from getting dry mouth and it was enjoyable to have them. 

Alrighty Week 3 Plan:

Threshold Run - 1hr

Easy Run - 1hr

Elliptical/Bike - 1hr

LSD - 2hrs

Speed Work - 1hr

I'm not really sure what order i'm going to do these in because the weather is looking pretty sketchy this week. Two days have the potential for snow and two have rain. I'm looking into buying a nice waterproof running jacket to deal with the rainy days, but right now i'll have to hit the gym or get soaked. 

My food goal is going to be trying to eat something before my long run, i'm going to try a banana first. 

Went to the gym last night and knocked out my elliptical workout, an hour of pure boredom. Tonight i'm planning on going to gym again but to do my hour long easy run on the indoor track. It's also pretty boring but I have to at least think about where i'm putting my feet and not running into people. I'm hoping to get to REI/Sports Authority sometime this week and check out the running jackets, i've tried looking online but of course living in Alaska nothing will ever ship here, and if it does it costs $20+ which makes returns a nightmare. 

Anyone have an suggestions for nice waterproof or at least practical water resistant jackets for running?