Chelkie’s Quest to Run Faster and Train Smarter

Chelkie

Anyone have an suggestions for nice waterproof or at least practical water resistant jackets for running?

I've a nice Under Armour Storm pullover for running in cold + wet ... I'd check REI out if you can as they often have good stuff from North Face and the like 

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 
Current Challenge : # 38 Strickland5 respawns

I've a nice Under Armour Storm pullover for running in cold + wet ... I'd check REI out if you can as they often have good stuff from North Face and the like 

Does the DWR/Water resistance actually keep you dry? I like the idea of waterproof but people are saying it doesn't really help because it traps your sweat in and gets you wet that way. 

Level 11 - World's Smallest Norn

Challenges: | Current |11 |10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Did my hour long easy run last night at the gym, and it was a good thing because it snowed a crazy 3 inches! It's still September! Apparently winter didn't get the memo that it's about 3 weeks too early. 

Looking pretty clear and around 41 degrees for this afternoon though, so i'm hoping i'll be able to head out for a run. The trails will be undoubtedly 100% mud, but sometimes that can be fun. :P

Turned out to be a gloriously sunny afternoon yesterday so I went out for my threshold run. The trail i've been using that is dirt was still covered in a bit of snow but I actually didn't have any trouble running on it, which was a good confidence boost for this winter. Unfortunately about mile 1 around a 1.5 mile loop there was an epic puddle. Actually calling it a puddle would do it injustice, it was a deep lake. It spread from river on one side to the bog area on the other side, with absolutely no way to cross without getting wet. The first lap I tiptoed across one side and got one shoe wet, the second lap I tried the other side and got both shoes pretty good and the third lap I tried straight down the middle and was completely drenched. Was going to do a fourth lap but my feet started to feel blistery so I called it a good solid try. :P 

I've tried twice now to eat a banana a few hours before my runs and it was good but I feel like by the time my run rolls around i'm hungry again. I think maybe with the fast sugars of the fruit i'm going to need to eat it only about 30-60min before I go running. I also broke down and bought one of those tasty looking waffles, I think i'm going to try to eat that as my pre run snack today. 

Does the DWR/Water resistance actually keep you dry? I like the idea of waterproof but people are saying it doesn't really help because it traps your sweat in and gets you wet that way. 

Anything that keeps water/rain out will typically keep sweat in ... so yeah it does get me more sweaty than sans pullover but I'm less likely to be drenched.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 
Current Challenge : # 38 Strickland5 respawns

So moral of the story, look for lots of zippered vents? :P

Ran my long run yesterday and it was great. Was kind of cloudy and blah but hadn't started raining and I managed to get in 8.5 miles. Looking at all my stats I don't think i'll be able to trim much time off my last half marathon, especially because my upcoming one next weekend has an insane hill in the last mile. 

• Like 2

Ended up not getting my interval workout in last week, but I did manage to hit 20 miles for the week with no pain so i'm pretty happy. My water goal I only got 5/7, this weekend I was running around like crazy doing stuff and didn't even think about liquids. 

This week is going to look a bit different because i've got my half marathon this upcoming saturday the 10th. 

Monday: Threshold - 1hr

Tuesday: Easy Run - 1hr

Wednesday: Easy Run/Elliptical -1hr

Thursday: Intervals - 30min

Friday: Pre Race Easy Run - 30in

Saturday: Half Marathon!

Going to skip my long run and replace it with my race and i'm going to do a shorter intervals workout. I'm also going to only go out friday to kind of limber up a bit, so it'll be short and really easy.

For my food goal i'm going to try to do all of my pre/during/post run things that i've been experimenting with on race day. I'll eat a banana and some sort of carb for breakfast before my race (this is actually one lovely race that doesn't start until 10am, I hate that most races start at like 7am, crazy early!) then eat some of the stinger chews while racing and then when I finish i'll drink some chocolate milk. 

So yesterday was bib pickup for my race on saturday, I was supposed to get my shirt too but they said the printer was running behind so we'd get them race day. Kind of sad, but i've been to races that hand them out at the finish line before so it's not a super big deal. I'm also slightly worried about getting a medal, its a smaller race and the website says "medals to the first 1500 to cross the finish line" last year they only had 900 people show up, but who knows what this year will look like. Guess it's motivation to run faster. :P

After I got my bib I went over to REI and picked up a running jacket to try out. Got this one. We'll see how wind and rain resistant it really is. Thankfully REI is usually really good about returns. I actually exchanged my Garmin Forerunner while I was there too, it had really started to act up, so I hope this new one won't have the same issues. In addition I bought a plethora the stinger chews in different flavors and some smartwool socks (I keep hearing how amazing smartwool is, so we'll see). 

Bad news is that by the time I finally got home it was dark and I didn't want to go out for my run because running in the dark creeps me out big time. I'll push my Threshold run to this afternoon and move an easy run to Sunday, as i've heard its good to get out the day after a race and stretch out a bit anyways.

• Like 1

Smartwool are the best. Enjoy your training week, and good luck on Saturday!

• Like 1

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

theophilus - Thanks! I'm pretty worried about getting a PR, because of the intense hilly nature of the course. I suppose I don't need a PR :P but I doubt many runners do a race and don't at least hope to get one. 

Thanks Terinatum!

Yesterday I did my threshold run and it was mostly great. Run was going fantastic and I got to the final stretch of trail before the end and a crazy aggressive off leash dog comes up out of nowhere and starts to bark and chase me/try to bite me! A lot of people will run with their dogs off leash on the trails and i've never had a problem with any of them, they are always super sweet and happy. This one though seemed to have no owner nearby and was a jerk. I guess i'm going to have to run with my taser even so close to my house, not that I want to tase some poor dog, but if it bites me I don't think i'll have any choice. I hate that I always have to be afraid when running outside. Bears, moose, creepers and now dogs. :( 

Le sigh. Both other trails I use are under last minute construction before the snow flies so I guess i'll just have to suck it up and go out there again today. I'm hoping it was just a fluke and the dog won't show up again. 

Yeah your right, the fresh air and variable terrain is just too good to pass up!

Went running again last night and it went all sideways and wonky. :P For the first half mile my heart rate wouldn't get up over 115 which is just wrong because I have a hard time running slow as a potato and keeping under 140. I had to stop my watch and reset it to get it start working again, so my stats were all screwed up. Then I saw the mean dog again in the same spot as last time and decided to turn around, so I ended up doing this weird C shaped part loop, which actually made things a bit more interesting. Also when I got done my hips were really sore. Chalking it up to just one of those bad run days and not going to let it bother me too much.

Race is tomorrow, kind of anxious but i'm sure it'll be fun. :)

The half marathon went great!

This race in particular, I think because of the late season and the hard course is just not very popular and is always run kind of poorly. The start didn't even have a gun or anything, everyone just started running at 10am and I followed them out the gate. :P Also there were only 3 aid stations which had water only and the last one was about 5 miles out from the finish, so I was dreaming of water by like mile 10. It was definitely as brutal of a course as I remembered too, two huge hills with one being the finish, my garmin says the last hill started at 30ft above sea level and went to 223ft. 

All of this made me especially proud because even against all the adversity I managed to beat my last half time with 2:25:10. Not a huge amount of time shaved off, but considering last half was almost completely flat and had an aid station almost every mile, i'll take it!

• Like 1

Went on a threshold run last night and whew am I tired this morning. Adjusted the pace I was running at because I think I was going too easy to actually be on my threshold and I was right. 

Goal this week is a threshold run, lsd, intervals and two cross training/easy run days. This past race marked the start of a new 6 week training schedule from my father after we reassessed. The next six weeks are all about consistency! I definitely am struggling with working out 5 days a week vs 3 but I think I can do it if I focus. 

Been ticking along on my other goals too, drinking enough pretty consistently and i've been trying the different chews during my runs. Definitely still prefer the stinger ones.  

Thanks theophilus!

Did an easy run day yesterday for an hour around the trail next to my house. I'm getting pretty bored of running there so i'm excited that tomorrow is the last day of construction on the other trail I use. Both are lovely, but I like the variety! 

Today I think i'll hit the gym and either do some cross training or intervals.

Managed to catch the head cold going around my office so I spent the last half of my week hacking up a lung. :( Training took a hit but i'll get back at it as soon as I can breathe deeply without coughing. Chugging the tea and soup and keeping my fingers crossed.

Woot, finally got out running again yesterday. Still coughing and sneezing a bit, but it was still totally manageable. Ran my hour easy run yesterday and today I think i'll knock out my hour threshold run. 

Did my threshold run yesterday, went really well and man my legs are sore today!

I've gone through pretty much all of my options for running food by now. I think i'll stick with the combination of a little waffle and half a banana before my long runs and races, stinger chews for anything over an hour and chocolate milk after all running. Been doing that the past week or two and its worked quite well. I find I definitely don't need or really want any extra energy for anything under and hour. Hydration though i've been considering getting a camelbak for long runs, after my race that only had 3 aid stations I could have really used one! I'm not sure how the bouncing will bother me, but I detest holding things in my hands while running and i'm not keen on the idea of bouncing things around my waist either. I guess I should test out a belt and backpack and see how they feel. 

I can't believe it's already time for this challenge to be over! 

Been fighting a bad upper respiratory infection for the past couple weeks, and then to add the cherry on top I recently developed pink eye. Feeling the love.

Only managed two runs last week and two the week before, both times I started in hopes that the cough wouldn't get worse, and then it did. Sigh. I'm hoping I can get all this crap cleared up by the start of the next challenge, we shall see. Gave myself half credit for the last two weeks as I honestly tried to keep to my schedule, but the cough just got the best of me. This brings me to just squeaking by with a C in the stick to running schedule category. This is pretty typical of my body really though, i've got a pretty lame immune system and i'm prone to injury. I need to focus on not letting these hiccups become and excuse not to run though. Have to keep on keeping on and make sure to really assess when i'm finally well and when i'm feeling lazy. :P

I think I rocked my fluids drinking this challenge though, came in with an A and i'm proud of that. It actually helped to be a coughing fiend because the last two weeks i've been pounding tea like no tomorrow. 

Finished with a B in diet and nutrition, but I feel like I accomplished a lot of good experimentation. Found a solid fuel plan for before/during/after and determined when I really needed to use fuel. 

Overall it wasn't a stellar challenge but I feel like I made decent progress. Onwards and upwards!