• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

annyshay

Annyshay Heads to Hyrule Castle

Right x) I'm a bit opposed to the macro focus, I think most people would be better served with a focus on figuring out normal potion sizes and things like that.. But hey if it helps you explore, then why not! 

It's not really macro focused.  I am not explaining right.  Hehe.  Keep reading and we will learn together!!!

I listened to the podcast about IS, it's quite interesting how they structured it. It sounds really good though! 

So good!

You make a compelling argument... continues to think.  

Rambly Post re: nutrition!

Ok, this challenge was about making some good habits and not losing ground in the midst of incredible stress. I chose my goals well, and I’m where I wanted to be at the end of these 6 weeks - a vegetable-fueled badass with renewed zeal for strength training over the winter. This winter, I want to lay a solid foundation for even greater awesomeness. I do not want to fall into the old traps that I have broken free from - quick fix bikini-body mentality, sweeeeets, over-acheiving perfectionism, and individualistic striving. Introspection may be my super power, but it must be weilded with care. Luckily, planning along with my rebels keeps me leveling up.

So, what nutrition goals to pursue next challenge? I love eating primal/paleo, but I am wary of all the times I have used it as an excuse to be overly perfectionistic and restrictive with my eating. My brain loves to twist guidelines into self-punishment. I am over that game. My accountabilibuddies have been very into banting, which is a similar system from South Africa with excellent lists. I do not want to try a new thing just to fall into the same traps, but I am wondering if I can use banting as a scaffold for further curiosity and experimentation with my eating habits. Tracking things without too many numbers has been a good middle ground for me, and I think the lists could help me with that. I also think it would be best to stay away from any grading rules here, ie one red item allowed per week, etc. Process measures support my mindful experimenting more than outcome measures anyway. So, I think I will join Elize and Lightning on the banting path with much curiosity and mindfulness as I explore? Y'all will keep me from being too hard on myself?  Right?   :)

What I found with the lists is when I follow the green and eat mostly from the green, I know my carbs are within limits, no need to check, I know I get vitamins, etc. in, along with good fats, and protein. I tried tracking. I'm not good with it. If you occasionally add in a food from the orange list (once, twice a week - normal portion, not overdo it) then you have no worries. I agree, don't set limits/grading rules, because you are just putting more stress on yourself, which is unnecessary (imho).

• Like 2

What I found with the lists is when I follow the green and eat mostly from the green, I know my carbs are within limits, no need to check, I know I get vitamins, etc. in, along with good fats, and protein. I tried tracking. I'm not good with it. If you occasionally add in a food from the orange list (once, twice a week - normal portion, not overdo it) then you have no worries. I agree, don't set limits/grading rules, because you are just putting more stress on yourself, which is unnecessary (imho).

This!

Honestly, I still think in terms of Paleo/Primal for eating because the foods really are the same on Banting. The difference is the simple list. I can make a lot of good food by focusing on the ingredients on the green list.

Now...this is what worked for me and I am in NO way saying it works for everyone or is the best way to go about things. I chose 75 carbs as my daily limit because I know that I lose weight when I do that. I also figured out that I could easily stay under that limit if I ate foods from the green list with maybe one or two from the yellow/orange. That meant I could avoid tracking most days. I only tracked my food if I ate something off the red list. If I had something with sugar, like a pumpkin latte for example, I would enter it in MFP then track the rest of my meals. I did this because it helped me see that I could have a treat every once in awhile and still keep my carbs down by eating a lot of yummy vegetables, protein, etc for the rest of the day. One latte or a cookie didn't "ruin the day" if you know what I mean or make me "mad at myself" for enjoying a little goodie. I had the treat then jumped back on the veggie train!

I also chose to put a bigger emphasis on using fats to curb my appetite and decrease my cravings for sweets. I knew Elize had a lot of success with this, even helping her kids eat better. The decrease in cravings has been the difference maker for me. I feel more in control of what I eat and that's is a life skill I never thought I'd have.

• Like 2

I think it is extremely doubtful that I will get my orange list foods down to twice a week, lol.  I eat carrots pretty much daily, though only one or two.  :)

Honestly, I still think in terms of Paleo/Primal for eating because the foods really are the same on Banting. The difference is the simple list. I can make a lot of good food by focusing on the ingredients on the green list.

Now...this is what worked for me and I am in NO way saying it works for everyone or is the best way to go about things. I chose 75 carbs as my daily limit because I know that I lose weight when I do that. I also figured out that I could easily stay under that limit if I ate foods from the green list with maybe one or two from the yellow/orange. That meant I could avoid tracking most days. I only tracked my food if I ate something off the red list. If I had something with sugar, like a pumpkin latte for example, I would enter it in MFP then track the rest of my meals. I did this because it helped me see that I could have a treat every once in awhile and still keep my carbs down by eating a lot of yummy vegetables, protein, etc for the rest of the day. One latte or a cookie didn't "ruin the day" if you know what I mean or make me "mad at myself" for enjoying a little goodie. I had the treat then jumped back on the veggie train!

I also chose to put a bigger emphasis on using fats to curb my appetite and decrease my cravings for sweets. I knew Elize had a lot of success with this, even helping her kids eat better. The decrease in cravings has been the difference maker for me. I feel more in control of what I eat and that's is a life skill I never thought I'd have.

I agree that I am primal/paleo, but the lists do give another way to approach it.  Getting the good stuff in is not a problem for me, actually.  I eat three meals a day with protein, veg, and healthy fats at each.  It's the treats that sneak in - sweets at work, etc.

No matter how long I have been fat adapted in the past, my sweets cravings will never leave for certain.  It's only when I ban them for a certain time that I don't have sweets regularly.  But banning leads to bingeing.  That's why I am sort of wary of a red list. Restricting has not worked well in the past for anything more than short term goals.  I wonder if your tracking on red list days might be an excellent happy medium.  Hmmmm...  You guys have so many good thoughts.

• Like 2

You have to find a way that works for you, that comes naturally for you. The carrots aren't a problem, especially when you exercise. Maybe cut some of the other orange/red list foods you don't like that much but is a habit of buying. The boys eat their carrots everyday too. I also didn't stop their sweets cold turkey because then (as you say) they binge when they get some sweets. So I do give them more fats, and it curbs their sweet tooth to some extend, but they have their favourites which I buy from the farmer's market every Saturday and then I try to bake one treat (from the Banting book : Raising Superheroes) which has a lot of fats and really seems like a treat and not a substitution. This week I chose to bake the rusks instead.

The other thing that worked for me was, since I felt full from the fats, I skipped a meal. I realised that I was eating out of habit, and not because I'm really hungry. The boys as well. They would say they aren't hungry at lunch time, but I would insist that they eat, because.... it's lunch time! Now we don't eat if we aren't hungry, and we eat our breakfast later. I'm not saying that is your problem, it's just an example of things we've changed, things we took for granted, then I/we realised it wasn't necessary.

That is why I say, you have to find what works for you, suites your time schedule and comes naturally.

• Like 1

All the discussion above brings me to the following realization.  I am Groot?  (see Steve's article for context)

bAhbxaX.gif

I know what to eat for optimal nutrition and body composition.  I do not want to track all the time.  Rules do not improve my behaviors over the long term.  I like what I'm eating currently.  I get enough nutrients and macros.  My eating may not be "perfect", but it is a good compromise and fairly natural for me.  Sweets will be a continual mindful negotiation for me.  Maybe, I will focus my goals next challenge on... behaviors that support healthy eating without making sweeping changes.  Huh.  Progress, methinks.

• Like 6

CHALLENGE WRAP UP

Cut Grass - 81%  I nailed this.  Other than the week on vacation, I got 5+ veggies every day except one.  Awesome habit is awesome!

links_lawn_care_by_greyfoxdie85-d6ylq32.

Weird Egg - 83%  See all food discussion above.  I think this helped me come to a place of acceptance?  For now?

Legend%20of%20Zelda%20The%20%20Ocarina%2

Break Pots - 50% if I'm being generous.  I know that mental habits are important.  I cannot figure out how to quantify them.  Ah well. We're making progress anyway!

6f000624333eddb8b110f1104d375ea8-d36s2ye

Listen to Kaepora Gaebora - 100%

250px-MM3D_Kaepora_Gaebora.png

I'm giving myself an A for this challenge.  

4688668e4138abc21361f6bde1e21598bf0d1875

Excellent.  Thanks for coming along for the ride.  It isn't a challenge without all y'all!

8ae33cd91f7d939d6aae0de93933a73f.jpg

• Like 6