[whitewineandcathair] builds a better core

auntdinosaur

[WHITEWINEANDCATHAIR]

FMkZ5es.gif

...BUILDS A BETTER CORE [+3 STR, +2 STA]

For this challenge, I've decided to separate my core workouts from my yoga practice. I found that simply planning to get to the mat three times per week gave me every excuse in the world (it's hot, I'm tired, I'd rather stretch) to skip the Pilates and core strength exercises I would like to accomplish. I am challenging myself to three core workouts every week of this challenge. (Follow my Battle Log for details on the workouts.)

A = 16 - 18 core workouts

B = 14 - 15 core workouts

C = 12 - 13 core workouts

N31gdWkm.png

...UPGRADES FLEX DRIVE [+3 DEX, +1 STA]

Continuing my ongoing yoga practice, I've decided to try logging my sessions weekly, rather than daily. I've noticed a few other people doing it this way, and I'd like to mix it up for my challenge this time around. My goal is 2.5 hours per week, which is 15 minutes more than my current average.  (Follow my Battle Log for details on my yoga practice.)

A = 13 - 15 hours of yoga

B = 10 -12 hours of yoga

C = 8 - 10 hours of yoga

yoLM8VO.gif

...REDUCES DISTRACTING BACKGROUND PROCESSES [+1 WIS, +1 CON]

For the past several years, I've found myself in a bit of a brain fog. I feel as though I am constantly distracted by a thousand thoughts and ideas, and I've found it hard to read or even watch TV without wanting to go to something else almost constantly. I've started mediating with Headspace and really enjoy it so far. At the beginning of this challenge, I will be finishing up the Foundation series, and will move onto another program (likely Focus) for the rest of the six week. My goal is to meditate every day.

A = 38 - 42 days of meditation

B = 33 - 37 days of meditation

C = 28 - 32 days of meditation

Yw7h52s.gif

...INTRODUCES UNITASKING INTAKE VALVE [+1 WIS, +1 CON]

As part of my quest to reduce multi-tasking and increase concentration, I would like to break myself of the habit of eating meals while watching TV or using the laptop. For the first three weeks, I will eat three mindful meals per week. During the second three weeks, it will increase to five mindful meals per week.

A = 21 - 24 mindful meals

B = 17 - 20 mindful meals

C = 13 - 16 mindful meals

oaUBXN9m.png

...INSTALLS TRANSLATION SOFTWARE [+2 CHA]

Estas usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta, por favor consulte el manual. I've had an on-again, off-again relationship with learning Spanish since high school. I currently work in a kitchen with a LOT of Spanish-speaking folks, and I feel bad that I really don't know more than the average Dora-watcher. I've been using Duolingo a bit this year, and hereby vow to earn at least 140xp per week during this challenge.

A = 790 - 840xp

B = 740 - 789xp

C = 690 - 739xp

GRADING: To pass and level up, I must get a C or better in each challenge.

REWARD: Yoga Bolster. (Must pass with A's and B's.)

Progress:

Week One

Week Two

Week Three

Mid-Challenge Summary

Week Four

Week Five

Week Six

FINAL REPORT

• Like 2

A lot of yoga… since I am just a beginner in terms of yoga, I will follow along. :)

Which kind of meditation do you practise?

I don't know if there is a name for it, but it involves shifting your focus from your body and your breath to external noises and back again. I'd originally found it in the mindfulness coursework my therapist gave me and really liked it, so I was very happy to discover that it's what is being used in the Headspace app.

*gasp*!  I just started using Duolingo too to learn Spanish!  I just got a smart phone, so it's nice to see that someone else is using that same app successfully.  I don't know what's out there and what's effective.

Good luck with the goals, accountabilibuddy!

• Like 1

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

Not off to a great start this challenge. I really like my goals, I think that they are challenging but doable... but I lack motivation entirely.

I tried to get in some yoga and Pilates yesterday, but sort of milled around on the mat for a bit, then quit. I had a short yoga session today, but my knee started hurting towards the end of my shift at work, and pretty much all the standing postures I usually do are out.

Headspace was down for maintenance this morning... but, 3:30am is actually a good time for a meditation app to be down for most human beings, so I don't fault them, really.

Ugh. Where did my ambition go?! I've been sort of self-checking for depression because my motivation in general is quickly approaching zero. I actually feel quite happy, but my desire to do anything but buy takeout and watch Netflix isn't there.

Boooo. Lack of motivation trying to boycott you sucks :(

My knees hurt today, too (my own fault, but still), and I've just done some seated poses that help a bit. I just don't know their names... NF yoga says they're called butterfly (with forward and backward bends) and firelog (with foward bend) and one similar to firelog lvl 2 but on your back and with your hands holding one leg... jeez, I need to learn some yoga vocabulary. I hope your knees feel better soon. Take care of yourself *hugs*

• Like 1

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Knee pain and lack of motivation are both no fun. I also have trouble getting motivated some days and have heard that getting some exercise done first thing in the morning without excuses and without even giving yourself time to think about why you shouldn't do it is a good way.

Not that I've necessarily taken this advice, as I sit around in my running outfit posting on NF...

Level 9 Amazon Druid
STR : 17 | DEX : 23 | STA : 22 | CON : 23 | WIS : 21 | CHA : 15
Challenges: Current, 8, 7.1, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.1, 3, 2, 1
Battle Log

Sounds like bound angle and what I usually call double pigeon and reclining pigeon... all of which I did today! :)

jep, that's the one. I loved these, especially the double pigeon. I can't say why but it just felt so good. Oh and bound angle is such a pretty name...

Knee pain and lack of motivation are both no fun. I also have trouble getting motivated some days and have heard that getting some exercise done first thing in the morning without excuses and without even giving yourself time to think about why you shouldn't do it is a good way.

Not that I've necessarily taken this advice, as I sit around in my running outfit posting on NF...

lol :D I've heard of someone who would sleep in their running gear so they could go straight to running after waking up.

How about you go running now and tell us here afterwards how great it was? Fresh air, time for yourself and good effects on your health to boot! If the knee acts up, then walk. Who says it has to be 'running'?

I like that thought :)

Yoga, meditation, Core and mindful eating. I can relate to all :)

Sorry to hear about your knee-pains, unfortunately I can relate to that as well. But as stated above, walking can be pretty great as well.

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

My knee started bothering me again at work yesterday, and I was starting to get concerned. It went away eventually and has been fine all this morning, but I think it may be a problem in the future. (I hurt my knee in high school, and my doctor didn't seem too concerned. It's been not-too-bothersome but noticeable that something's not quite right since then, but I think time/age is starting to catch up with me. And in case you were wondering... No, there is no great sports story here. I put it out dancing to The Love Shack at a freshmen dance.  :redface: )

Nearly an hour of yoga today, and I'm feeling pretty good. Hopefully I will have enough energy/motivation to get in my first core workout of the week. (Ugh.)

My meditation goals are on track with more than one session per day, but I haven't managed a mindful meal yet. I plan to make myself a full breakfast in a moment, and will use the cooking and eating mindfulness techniques I've listened to on Headspace. 

I currently have 135/140xp on Duolingo, so I imagine I will be surpassing that goal as well.

Booh knee pain. Mine isn't quite right either but I hope the twinge I feel will go away over the next few days. Hope yours will as well!

Yay for lots of yoga and meditation and duolingo wins :D

And go do that workout. You know it's good for you.

• Like 1

xxHCJAZ.jpg

My reward from the previous challenge. I don't know what it is, but I've been feeling pretty great about myself and my appearance lately. 

VqESzD0.jpg

I don't have a 'before' picture, but the last time I went to the doctor (I don't own a scale) I discovered that I've gained 25lbs since I started working out. As my pants size only briefly went up, I can only assume it's all muscle... my arms, especially.

• Like 3

Love that mug!  What are these pigeon variations being discussed?  I'm looking for ways to improve my terrible hip mobility, but the only hip opener I know is a regular pigeon pose.

My first six week challenge!

"I can't run, but I can walk much faster than this." -Paul Simon

"There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." -Leonard Cohen

Find me on Instagram, where I mostly post photos of outdoor adventures, baking projects, and books.

Butterfly or bound angle pose is when you sit up with the soles of your feet against each other and let the knees fall to side (or more precise: let your thigs fall open and rotate out wards). Double pigeon is when you sit down and place one shin over the other, so e.g. your right foot sits on your left knee and your right knee sits on your left foot. Make sure to switch side with this one. And what was the last one? Reclined pigeon? This is when you lie flat on your back, lift your legs with your knees bent and then place one ancle on top of the thigh of the other leg. You can grab the thigh or shin of that other leg and pull it towards you for a deeper stretch.

I recommend to look up some more detailed instructions or videos, though. I've recently watched some of the foundations of yoga videos of Adriene's and found that there's a lot of detailed stuff I missed out on last challenge that really makes a difference.

Also, yay for yoga and confidence and kitty in the background ;)

• Like 1

Butterfly or bound angle pose is when you sit up with the soles of your feet against each other and let the knees fall to side (or more precise: let your thigs fall open and rotate out wards). Double pigeon is when you sit down and place one shin over the other, so e.g. your right foot sits on your left knee and your right knee sits on your left foot. Make sure to switch side with this one. And what was the last one? Reclined pigeon? This is when you lie flat on your back, lift your legs with your knees bent and then place one ancle on top of the thigh of the other leg. You can grab the thigh or shin of that other leg and pull it towards you for a deeper stretch.

I recommend to look up some more detailed instructions or videos, though. I've recently watched some of the foundations of yoga videos of Adriene's and found that there's a lot of detailed stuff I missed out on last challenge that really makes a difference.

Also, yay for yoga and confidence and kitty in the background ;)

Thanks. I started to respond with pictures, but one of them wouldn't load and I got distracted for a few... days. :)

I'll make an official summary post once I succeed/fail at finishing up my goals today.

Currently, I am 100% on meditation and Duolingo. I'm just 15 minutes short on yoga, and two sessions short on Pilates.

Looking at the end of my last challenge, I think it's safe to say that my new birth control is causing me a bit of depression. I feel like I hit a brick wall three weeks ago, which was the first full week after starting the new pills. So, apparently I feel physically awful without pills and emotionally dead with these ones. I imagine there is going to be a bit of trial and error this year getting to the right ones. UGH.

• Like 1