[SymphonicDan] learns from the Warriors [level 13]

SymphonicDan

I'm a n00b deadlifter, but I find my back stays in neutral better if I specifically engage my glutes before pulling from the floor.

My pattern usually is: set feet, grab bar, bend knees (set neutral spine), engage glutes, pull slack from bar, pull bar. [Please note, I don't actually think all of these things. I had to think to figure out what I actually do lol.]

I think it works because my DOMS from DL day are usually hamstrings/glutes. Maybe video yourself and make sure you're keeping a neutral spine? If your glutes aren't doing work, that means your back is possibly rounding to pick up the slack?

• Like 1

Goal: Deadlift a (Female) Wookie (100 kg): 65.8%

I'm a n00b deadlifter, but I find my back stays in neutral better if I specifically engage my glutes before pulling from the floor.

My pattern usually is: set feet, grab bar, bend knees (set neutral spine), engage glutes, pull slack from bar, pull bar. [Please note, I don't actually think all of these things. I had to think to figure out what I actually do lol.]

I think it works because my DOMS from DL day are usually hamstrings/glutes. Maybe video yourself and make sure you're keeping a neutral spine? If your glutes aren't doing work, that means your back is possibly rounding to pick up the slack?

All of this is great advice.

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Thanks for the feedback :) I've done some research after reading your comment and it seems that I have my hips way too low when doing the deadlift, making it almost impractical to engage the glutes without rounding the back. Next time I deadlift (Thursday) I'll try it with much higher hips and see what feels best.

Friday: good game of football (soccer) for active recovery and fun

Sunday: felt wiped out, but took my rings out some some experiments and dips:

• football juggling in L-sit: tried this, and it's easier than in a tuck front lever but still super hard. I end up not really doing an L-sit.
  • dips: for lolz, I did an AMRAP attempt for ring dips, and got 12, to equal my record :o

Later, went slacklining, for maybe the last time this year before the weather deteriorates. Did some walking basics and then experimented with different ways to stand up from sitting on the line. All ways are hard...

Finally, went bouldering for the first time in 9 weeks. My grip strength is worse than it used to be (no surprise!) and didn't like the current routes so much, but it was fun nonetheless :)

Tommorow: more football, and I'll contemplate a core workout.

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Hahah at the juggling attempts. Sounds rough!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

love the juggling lever idea!!

Maybe enjoying it even more as it is something so plainly out of my league it doesn't even tempt me to try the new and shiny. Can totally picture doing that and YES, it would be wayyy cool

Feel very reassured how quickly you are getting back into the strengths you dropped for a short while (had quite a break myself for the last two weeks and am feeling it in not good ways already). You even on progress road again with the flips, did I get that right?

Your cheerleading always makes me smile so wide, you go, lifter :)

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Congrats on the OHP PR and the great pull ups and ring dips!  

I think you're just about the only person who can play football and call it an active recovery day and not an "OMG so much running" workout type of day.  ;)

Please take a video of the football juggling in the L-sit!  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Wednesday: super tired and bloated and busy sorting out holiday things, so skipped gymnastics and cheerleading :(

Thursday: psyched myself up for a weightlifting session - I had plans any everything! - only to find out the hard way that the gym was closed for refurbishment (for the 3rd time in 7 months) :( I'd already eaten some pre-workout fuel so I went with a friend for an impromptu gymnastics rings session in the dark. Mainly just showed my friend the basics (he's already strong enough for ring dips and archer ring rows!) and shot for an AMRAP on dips (11, just beneath my PB of 12).

Friday: core workout (more later in this post!) and lots of admin, tidying and packing before I go on holiday to the Netherlands, Spain and Morocco. For Morocco, we've booked a tour deep into the desert (almost to Algeria!) with lots of cool things on the itinerary, including sleeping in tents, joining a camel caravan, waterfalls and gorges, seeing the Milky Way, getting sand absolutely fucking everywhere, mountain hiking, etc. etc... so I'm looking forward to that :D In Spain, I'll try speaking Spanish for the first time since learning it properly (¡deséame suerto, Talvi!)

If you comment while I'm gone, I'll see the message but might not have opportunity to reply. If you never hear from me again... I'm probably inside a sand dune somewhere...

love the juggling lever idea!!

Maybe enjoying it even more as it is something so plainly out of my league it doesn't even tempt me to try the new and shiny. Can totally picture doing that and YES, it would be wayyy cool

Feel very reassured how quickly you are getting back into the strengths you dropped for a short while (had quite a break myself for the last two weeks and am feeling it in not good ways already). You even on progress road again with the flips, did I get that right?

Your cheerleading always makes me smile so wide, you go, lifter :)

I had one good session of flips, yes :) I'm hoping that this starts a trend, but with gymnastics you never can/should assume!

And yes, strength usually comes back completely if you've had less then 3-4 weeks off. Luckily, your muscles don't suddenly vanish just because you haven't done a push-up for a week :P Unfortunately, the muscles are somehow not as "ready" to show off their true strength for the first few sessions, so you have to ease back in without high expectations! Not completely sure what "ready" means here - probably some combination of water loss, muscle memory and maybe hormones but don't quote me there...

Congrats on the OHP PR and the great pull ups and ring dips!  

I think you're just about the only person who can play football and call it an active recovery day and not an "OMG so much running" workout type of day.   ;)

Please take a video of the football juggling in the L-sit!  

Haha, jogging is active recovery. Football is active recovery until I realise that when I play football I'm darting all over the place and changing direction aggressively and exhausting myself... then I wake up the next day and my legs don't want to do anything :P

Goal #1: solid weightlifting: for various reasons, this has been a bit underwhelming this challenge - only managed 2 out of 5 weightlifting sessions - I do have the opportunity for another session when I get back from holiday though!

Goal #2: study form: I would've liked to have another weightlifting session after most of my technique study, but alas that couldn't happen. I only studied OHP and deadlift - and would like to do some further study for pull-ups, squat and bench.

Goal #3: core work: 3 sessions in 4 weeks, so this is going well -grade B+ :) Today, I got my timer and dice-roller again and got the following randomly-generated workout, each item for 1 minute:

• V-sit rock (they love this at the Monday gymnastics class)
  • full-RoM Russian twists with a suitcase
  • V-sit rock
  • plank
  • Russian twists
  • Russian twists (argh!)
  • hollow body hold
  • hollow body hold
  • leg raise to overhead tap
  • leg raise to overhead tap

I'll ideally be doing another couple of sessions while on holiday.

Goal #4: gymnastics plan: 2/6 sessions attended with plan, again for various reasons :( grade D+

Goal #5: get stuff done: oops, kinda abandoned this... I'll need to find another way to motivate myself to get things done...

• Like 4

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Morocco calling! For the first time since joining NF I'm checking in from abroad. The trip so far has been fun but I have one cool thing in particular to mention here:

In Tangier we walked through a park and found some locals using gymnastics rings, so of course I stopped to watch. They were pretty good, doing muscle-ups, rolls and even ring handstands! One offered to me that I could join in, and it turned out that they spoke Spanish so I could even speak with them about "anillas de gimnasia" :)

I did a German hang and some muscle-ups, and noticed that they'd wrapped some grip around the rings like I recently bought the equipment to do, so they weren't too hard despite wearing jeans with pockets stuffed full of valuables.

Later, one of them gave me some advice on ring forward rolls, and managed one for the first time! :D

In other news, I've had lots of success at speaking Spanish in Malaga, but I can see what zenLara meant about the thick accent - sometimes I can't understand anything.

• Like 6

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

NICE! :D Rings is an international language.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I'm back! Holidays were great but its good to be in a familiar environment again. No more sporty adventures to tell you about, unless you count some hiking in the Atlas mountains, but I did speak some more in Spanish with moderate success :)

One cool story though: Last week we rode some camels out into the Sahara desert with a guide, over the sand dunes, to some remote camps they have for tourists. That was quite fun, and then when we got to the camp and the sun set it was very dark (the nearest street light would have been very far away) and the stars were so clear you could see the Milky Way and more individual stars than I knew were possible to see.

I was worried that the camp would be boring at night because it might just be my friend, the guide and I and we'd already spoken lots, but I ventured out of the camp and bumped into a couple of Moroccan girls (almost literally - it was that dark!) who were in a neighbouring camp with lots of other Moroccan tourists, and were going to have a desert rave with DJ and live traditional music, and invited us to come join them later on. So sure enough, a couple of hours later, we were all dancing together to Arabic pop music on the sand between the dunes, with thousands of stars above us. Quite surreal :)

Anyway, now my adventure is over and I need to do mundane things like laundry. Football is happening this evening (yay!) and I should be getting back to my usual fitness stuff - including the last core workout of this challenge. Oh yes, and catch up on 2 weeks of all your adventures!

• Like 5

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

That sounds so awesome. Welcome back to the mundane. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

Oooh.  I love star gazing when it's so clear you can actually see the Milky Way!  The dancing under the stars thing sounds amazing!  I'm glad you had such a great time!  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Thanks everyone :)

Welcome back! Sounds like a really cool trip! And I love parties in the desert. One thing I miss about SoCal. :)

Ooh - how soon can I move there!?

Right now I'm finishing my final core workout of the challenge. I'm tired now and busy tomorrow, so for motivation I'm writing my end-of-challenge summary while doing the workout :P

Challenge #1: solid weightlifting: this was supposed to be the main feature of the challenge, but for various reasons inside and outside of my control, I only went weightlifting twice (5 times was expected). The weightlifting sessions were good, but sadface and grade C- and +2.00 STR for this as per the rules.

Challenge #2: study form: I did get some technical insights for OHP and deadlift as a result, but I wanted to do all 5 lifts, so grade D and +0.50 WIS for this.

Challenge #3: core workouts: these were good - although I failed to do any during my holiday. 4/6 complete, so grade B- and +2.00 STA as reward.

Challenge #4: gymnastics plan: again, I didn't end up going to many gymnastics sessions this challenge :( although I did learn how ring handstands work (above my skill level at the moment though!) and how roundoffs work (reasonably easy although will need lots of practice). So grade D+ and +1.00 DEX for this.

Challenge #5: get stuff done: here I fell off the wagon very quickly - mainly because often each day I couldn't think of something to commit to doing. That's grade F and no stat points for me.

Overall: rather lame challenge, although yes there were some good parts:

• improved technique of OHP, deadlift, handsprings and frontflips
  • new OHP PR (47.5kg = 105#)
  • first ring forward roll
  • good core workouts

Next challenge: I'll be returning to the Assassins, where I think I belong even though I do some weightlifting. I have a shiny point-collecting format in mind, and will continue the "roll 10 dice" workouts that I was doing for the core this challenge - but for other bodyweight and rings exercises.

Thanks for stalking, advising and encouraging everyone :) There wouldn't be much point without you!

• Like 6

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

I was a bit sloppy about following you this time around, but next challenge I'll be around more! Especially because I'll be trying out a challenge again too. :) Nice to know you're back at the assassins <3 

• Like 1

ALL about shiny points these days for challenges. Too bad about the various extenuating circumstances around your goals this time! The Warriors are always super helpful in the form check forum, so you can take those videos next challenge even if you are busy assassinatin' again. :D

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

So glad to read about the great time you had on your trip! It's even better to enjoy coming home as that shows how happy you are where you live and that's just.... how it's really meant to be, isn't it :)

Do you think the format of this challenge was not ideal for you (I see you went back to checklist) or was it maybe part of our natural rhythm of expansion - rest/seeming stagnation - expansion...?

You also had a lot of other things going on. How are your driving lessons going btw?

• Like 1

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

So glad to read about the great time you had on your trip! It's even better to enjoy coming home as that shows how happy you are where you live and that's just.... how it's really meant to be, isn't it :)

Do you think the format of this challenge was not ideal for you (I see you went back to checklist) or was it maybe part of our natural rhythm of expansion - rest/seeming stagnation - expansion...?

You also had a lot of other things going on. How are your driving lessons going btw?

I've just come back from my last driving lesson before my exam! It's going okay but I can't be too confident. There's a 43% pass rate in the UK and I can't do gymnastics tricks to give me an advantage so I'll have to just do my best and hope it goes okay. There's a convention in Britain that no-one tells anyone when their test will be, lest they fail and be embarrassed. Well I can't be bothered to be embarrassed either way, so I've been telling everyone that it's Tuesday 3rd November.

I think the challenge just didn't have anything to motivate me. "Do some stuff sometime and maybe eventually you'll get some stat points". So I've switched it for a challenge that gives me points all the time :)

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Ooh that is real soon, cool! I'll definitely cross my fingers for you on Tuesday. Let's see you go home with a big, happy grin on your face :)

• Like 1