• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - Learning to be an Assassin, A Barbarian's Tale.

A Barbarian Assassin?  Seriously?

Barbarians tend to be a bit heavy handed, attacking challenges head on, using brute force and breaking all the things. 

Assassins are supposed to be subtle, does this look subtle?

video20games20blood20men20weapons20fanta

No, I didn't think so.

Barbarians make great mercenaries.  Have a dragon that needs killing?

a.aaa-Dragon-and-Barbarian1.jpg

Or an uprising to put down and you can’t afford an army?  

goodwp.com_238311.jpg

You hire a barbarian.

But who would ever think to hire a Barbarian to help advance their political or familial position with the subtle removal of an opponent?  That’s what makes an old barbarian such a perfect choice, who would ever suspect such thoughtful and well planned job from the old dude with the ax?

Why would an old barbarian want to be an Assassin?  Well… it pays better for one, but truth be told injuries sustained during the last Winter Campaigns have yet to heal properly.  I was basically cleaved in twain by some albino with a black sword,  I swear the sword it'self was singing for my soul.  Only the strongest magic and healing arts kept me alive, but only after my falling out of a tower window kept him from finishing me off.  The treasures of Melnibone remain well guarded by this man.

tumblr_n6366t6AgV1ttv0xdo8_12801.jpg

Assassin skills will come in handy when next I meet this Dragon Lord.

And who says that just because you are an Assassin you can't go out and create some Chaos every once in awhile?

Now for the Challenge.

Main Quest for 2015: Do a pull up all the way to my transplant scar. 

Main Quest for This Six Week Challenge: Develop Assassin Skills. An Assassin needs to have complete control over their body, so I need to continue developing my bodyweight strength and maybe even introduce myself to a new thing or two.  I also need to continue to throw around heavy things because, well… a Barbarian’s got to break things and make a big mess every once in awhile :)

SMART Quests:

1.  Carry my own Weight: An assassin never knows when he’ll have to rely upon his ability to push his own body weight around to get out of, or even better yet in to, a jam.  A basic requirement of an Assassin is to be able to pull himself up, push himself up from various positions, and hold his body in perfect stillness for extended periods of time.  To improve upon what I have accomplished during my introduction to the Assassins, I will do a bodyweight workout that focuses on pull-ups, pushups and planks three times a week..(+1 Str, +1 Con)

Grading my success by the end of the six weeks.

A = Complete a bodyweight workout three times/week, and, be able to do a full pull-up and 20 pushups in one set.

A-    = Complete a bodyweight workout less than three times/week, but still be able to do a full pull-up and 20 pushups in one set.

B = Complete a bodyweight workout three times/week, but fail to do a full pull-up or 20 pushups.

C = Complete a bodyweight workout less than three times/week, and fail to do a full pull up or 20 push-ups.

F = Not going to happen.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

A = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 5 times/week.

B = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 4 times/week.

C = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 3 times/week.

F= Anything less.

3.  Learn a New Skill: There are many things for a Barbarian to learn in order to become an accomplished Assassin.  One ability every Assassin should have is the ability to climb to great heights.  To  begin this new learning adventure I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

A = 3 visits to the climbing center.

B= 2 visits to the climbing center.

C= 1 visit to the climbing center.

F= 0 visits to the climbing center.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do: In order to keep from causing suspicion, and to have a bit of Barbarian fun, I’ll continue to toss around these heavy metal objects.  Perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  Complete the Program Minimum training session and progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes three at least one sets of the warm up exercises, 5 reps of 10 kettlebell swings with a 24kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 16kg kettlebell, and the final streatching exercises. (+1 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Sta, +1 Cha)

A = Exceeding the Program Minimum reps with listed weights.

B = Complete the Program Minimum with listed weights.

C = 90% participation with 100% effort (100% participation = once every 5 days) and completing the program minimum.

F= less than 90% participation and not being able to complete the PM.

This Barbarian is ready.

old_warrior_by_theisriber-d5l6tq31.jpg

Reward for Successful Completion of This Challenge: 

A StrongFirst “Repeat Until Strong†Tee Shirt.

Motivation: On January 1st, 2015 I received a life saving double lung transplant.  I have to honor the family that gave me the gift of these lungs.  On what is most likely the worst day of their lives they made the decision to help others.  Words cannot express just how much my family and I appreciate this gift. They gave us a future.

I need to take care of these lungs and this body to the very best of my ability.

These goals may be changed just a bit prior to the first day of the Challenge just to give them a tweak or two.

• Like 14

Team Hobbits Mini Challenges:

1.  Simply Walking to Mordor - +1 STA

I walked 11.43 extra miles to help Team Hobbits with this Challenge.

2.  Battle in the Mines - +1 STR

310 total push ups

680 total squats

3.  Relax in Rivendell - +.2 CHA

I only got in one Yoga video.

4.  Let's Hunt Some Orc - +1 CON

165 Jumping Lunges

55 Pull Up Progression Exercises

22 Dead Orcs

5.  Survive Cirith Ungol - +1 DEX

100 Bear Crawls.

200 leg raises.. 

15 Jumping Squats

50 Walking Lunges

6.  Time to Climbl - +1 WIS

555 Mountain Climbers. 

Weekly Reviews:

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

The Challenge Recap

• Like 1

Fantastic Challenge!  So well written and inspiring.  Honoring that family is going to give you all kinds of positive motivation.  Looking forward to watching you succeed!

• Like 1

Definitely an awesome challenge! I'm here for some kettlebell education! I'm just getting started with them (shhhh, don't tell the assassins ;) ) and you seem to know what you are doing! I'm going to have to research this Simple and Sinister workout.

Awesome challenge! Here's wishing you the best of luck!

It's always exciting to see a new assassin headed toward the climbing gym. Have you been there before or is this a new adventure for you?

Fantastic Challenge!  So well written and inspiring.  Honoring that family is going to give you all kinds of positive motivation.  Looking forward to watching you succeed!

Thanks LIghtning, I'm looking forward to following your successes as well.

Definitely an awesome challenge! I'm here for some kettlebell education! I'm just getting started with them (shhhh, don't tell the assassins ;) ) and you seem to know what you are doing! I'm going to have to research this Simple and Sinister workout.

Nice to see you Suzaqu, for even more KB awesomeness, look up KB Girl, Elastigirl and Tigertubagirl.  These three rebels have taught me a lot.  

Awesome challenge! Here's wishing you the best of luck!

It's always exciting to see a new assassin headed toward the climbing gym. Have you been there before or is this a new adventure for you?

Hi Tinkerer,  this will be my first time putting on a harness to go up a rock wall.  

Great challenge! I look forward to seeing how you'll like climbing. :I

I'm looking forward to climbing also.  The kids and grandkids have climbed the walls at fairs and festivals so maybe it's something we can do together once I get it figured out :)

Nice challenge. I like the concept of a barbarian tackling something that may be a bit outside his usual comfort zone. I think good things can happen when a person is willing to do this.

Thanks darylb, if nothing else I'll be using new muscles :)

• Like 3

I'll be following along again. You need to come up with a name for your Barbarian?Assassin hybrid. I consider myself an assassin with some scout mixed in, Salivanth used the name Shadowrunner for that hybrid, I like that and plan on stealing it, you need something equally badass.

Reward for Successful Completion of This Challenge: 

A StrongFirst “Repeat Until Strong†Tee Shirt.

I like the idea of having a reward to work for (other than the physical improvements we earn). I had meant to make a suggestion about a future shirt you could get a while back when you mentioned the tattoo you can never get. Draw the design you want and have it printed on a shirt or workout pants, then your commemorative design is with you every time you work to improve yourself.

• Like 1

I was just looking for a Superman 3 gif to post on Ninjakitten's thread, but instead found that Superman fits in with your challenge. I found a couple of Henry Cavill working with a kettlebell and doing pull-ups.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The results speak for themselves, he definitely looks like a barbarian

Henry-Cavill-workout1.jpg

• Like 4

Achieved a new PR in one-hand KB Swings today.  1 set of 10 each side with 20 kg :) Dropped back to 16 kg to finish off the wo, but did get that one set.  I think every muscle from fingertips down to my heals on each side felt that one.

• Like 3

Achieved a new PR in one-hand KB Swings today.  1 set of 10 each side with 20 kg :) Dropped back to 16 kg to finish off the wo, but did get that one set.  I think every muscle from fingertips down to my heals on each side felt that one.

WOOHOO!

This intro really deserves some sort of reward! What a nice and subtle way of telling your story :)

Congrats on the PR!

WOOHOO!

Thanks, I'm kinda pumped about that one.  Sticking with the 20 kg for my future swings and just do one set of 1-hand for awhile.  My 24 kg KB is sitting there on the fireplace mantel, staring at me, not so patiently waiting its turn.  Gotta own the 20 first :)

Tagging back because I don't want to lose track of you again!! :)

Sorry I missed your trip to CT last month.  I did catch up with it later after I found your last Challenge thread.  I'll keep up now that we've tagged each other early this time :)

I have to take my vitals twice/day to help catch any issues early on. One of the things I monitor is my temperature. Something I've noticed is that my temperature in the evenings of a heavy kettlebell day is almost a degree higher on average than on other days, even heavy body weight workout days. I find that a good sign smile.png  I think my body is liking these kettlebells as much as I am.  

• Like 5

I just got up the nerve to try one-handed swings this week.  I swear there is nothing more badass then swinging a KB around!  So Barbaric!!!

there is something very Primal, and yes, Barbaric about swinging a 'bell that really strikes a chord.  Ans swinging them one-handed is super badass :)

On of the most beautiful and inspiring background for a challenge ever.

Subbed for awesomeness and sending many positive thoughts you way!! 

Thank you very much, that really made me smile :)

• Like 2

I'm interested to see how you like climbing, it's something I enjoy a lot, but sadly don't have the time to really do regularly any more (maybe again one day though).