• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - Learning to be an Assassin, A Barbarian's Tale.

Monday Macros

Weight = 158. Weight lost this week = 2 lbs. Total weight loss = 93 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 24/50/26%. Daily avg cals = 2155. 

Still running a little lower on cals that I shoot for, but the past couple of days have been better.  

I had some Julian's Pancake and Waffle Mix in the cupboard and decided to make waffles for my Sweetie Sunday morning. They turned out surprisingly good. My Sweetie even really liked them. I had some nice maple syrup, but decided to forego the sugar on mine and just used butter. Some mixed berries would have been nice, but they were good enough undressed. Not something I would often have, but will keep on hand for when we have the grandkids over.

A nice runny egg or two would help with the protein macros smile.png

I lost a couple pounds this week, and my blood pressure cuff has been feeling tight of late soI had to open it up a bit last night. Seems my arms are getting bigger while my waist is getting smaller.  That's really cool since I'm not doing any arm specific exercises :)

• Like 4

It's great when little things like that show you the progress you're making. I guess because it happens kind of slow it's hard to see the progress as it's happening but then clothes get too big and exercises that were hard become easy and you realize how far you've come.

It's great when little things like that show you the progress you're making. I guess because it happens kind of slow it's hard to see the progress as it's happening but then clothes get too big and exercises that were hard become easy and you realize how far you've come.

Yes, that helps tons.  It's great to see you making such progress, and not slowing down after a good amount of weight loss.  It's inspiring, since I'm still at the beginning of my journey.  Thank you.

• Like 2

Week: The Second- Day 2.  A New Day, a New Challenge

It seems that the the Guild Masters have plans for us that do not include heading home anytime soon.  We are now to delve deep into the earth, under the Misty Mountains, and explore the Mines of Moria.  Yes, you did read that right, we are to take a stroll along the Black Chasm.  

mines_of_moria_part_2_by_moondoodles-d32

From Mordor to Moria, from darkness to complete and total absence of light.  Even the Dwarves look a little disturbed by this new 'adventure'.  Well... by disturbed I mean grumpier than usual.

We enter the mines and try to make good time.  None of us wish to be in this hole any longer than necessary.  We are fairly quiet for such a large group, but there is the occasional misstep or rattle of gear.  This large a group is bound to draw attention, even in these seemingly abandoned mines.  

We've been traveling downwards for nearly a day when we noticed the glow rising from the Chasm.  First a hint of orange down deep, barely illuminating the caverns.  The light quickly grew as something massive approached.  No place to hide, we make ready for battle.  Yes, battle, no time for the subtleties of an Assassin.  Time for the quick action of a Barbarian, I am ready...

balrog.gif

A flaming daemon bearing whips of fire.  We have attracted a Balrog!

The battle begins. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

Doing battle against a Balrog, attacking and dodging.  Keeping an eye to help my Hobbit friends when needed, and attacking yet again.  I am hopefully proving my worth to the Guild, and to the Hobbits.

See Mini Challenge Comment

+ Three 20 second Hollow Body Dead Hangs.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

0/5

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do:

I did find a moment before we entered the Mines to spend some time with the Iron.  The Hobbits have taken to calling it my 'Worship' time.  As the Dwarves were camped near us for the night, a couple of them watched my exercises with apparent approval.  During the early exercises, they recommended that I perform three sets of each movement instead of just the one that I had planned.  As I finished the routine, one gave me a nod and a comment... "Repeat until strong" .  Affirmation of my quest.

Prying Goblet Squat - Three sets of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell.

StrongFirst Hip Bridge - Three sets of 5, 3 seconds each.

Halo - Three sets of 5 in each direction with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - Three sets of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell. Two sest of 10, for each arm one handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell. 

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 16 kg KB.

StrongFirst stretching exercises. 

5. Team Hobbit Mini Quest: Blow Away Balrog -

30 Push Ups

120 150 Squats (Goblet, Prying Goblet, Full Range and Normal)

• Like 5

Little victories that help to keep you going during low motivation days :)

Bigger arms and a smaller waist, way to go!  Keep hitting it hard Bro.

50476319.jpg

Thank you Sir!  I find it way cool that my arms are developing without any arms specific exercises.  This body weight/kettlebell stuff works :)

Hammers come Spring.

Yes, that helps tons.  It's great to see you making such progress, and not slowing down after a good amount of weight loss.  It's inspiring, since I'm still at the beginning of my journey.  Thank you.

And thank you Riverleaf.  I appreciate you stopping by :)

Wheew...  I committed to a minimum of 25 push ups and 100 squats/day to the Hobbits.  My first real push up was just over a month ago, and I figured 25/day would be a good challenge for me.  I didn't think about how they might affect my TGU's.  They were rough today.  I had to repeat one on my stronger side due to failure.  I had to bail out half way through one.  I didn't rest long enough between reps.  Longer rest and I was able to repeat the failed one and finish up the set.  

Just noticed we needed more squats.  Knocked out a set of 30.

This week is going to kick my butt :)

Friday is my next scheduled kettlebell trainer day.  Really looking forward to it.

Have a great evening all.

• Like 3

Week: The Second- Day 3.  The Battle Continues.

We fight on, attacking and dodging, covering for each other and striking when we have the opportunity.  The Dwarves seem to be doing the most damage at the moment.  They are a hardy bunch.  The hobbits are doing a surprisingly effective job of attacking this daemon, especially Trewest and Hexadamsel.  As others distract the beast, they attack, striking blow after blow.  

f627e1e791300cf0.jpg

The Balrog has shown no sign of weakness or any real damage from our efforts.  We attack in waves, giving our friends a chance to rest and catch their breath before rejoining the fray.  And of course Hobbits have to eat, even in time of battle they find time to eat.  That may be a secret to their consistent energy?

1.  Carry my own Weight:

It is surprising, and a bit embarrassing, that some of the Hobbits are striking more blows against the Balrog than I.  I am the Barbarian of the group after all.  And here I thought I was assigned the Hobbits to protect them.  I guess my injuries have taken more from me than I had thought.  I will recover, I will get strong!

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

I was able to find a moment to catch my breath during the battle when the Dwarves had caught the Balrog's attention.  My breathing exercises allowed me to regain my energy and focus on the task at hand.  

5.6 minutes of 6 second box breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3

Not sure how to write this into the story line, but want to document my S&S for the day.

Prying Goblet Squat - One set of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell.

StrongFirst Hip Bridge - One set of 5, 3 seconds each.

Halo - One set of 5 in each direction with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - Three sets of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell. One set of 10, for each arm one handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell. 

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 16 kg KB.

40 Push Ups

150 Squats (Goblet, Prying Goblet, Full Range and Normal)

• Like 2

That mini-quest stuff is looking intense! I think I would die at 60 - 70 squats.

Squats I could handle...push ups are my weak point...awesome job!

They are both kicking my rear.  I felt them during my swings today for sure. 

The Get Ups were much better than yesterday, but I did have one that turned into a bit of a flag waving session on the way down.  

I was planning on moving up to the 24 kg KB this week, but with this mini challenge, that's going to have to wait until next week.

Making a new batch of bone broth today.  The best thing about making beef and lamb bone broth is getting to marrow after you roast the bones :)

• Like 4

You're doing great, jrosto! Not just on your quests and the mini challenges, but your posts are awesome and entertaining! So far I've mostly incorporated this mini challenge into my workouts so they aren't affecting me too much right now. That won't last though because I want to do more. I don't think I'll be doing as much as you though! You are rockin' it!

• Like 1

Week: The Second- Day 4.  Galrog, Schmalrog.  This Beast is Tough.

This is the kind of battle where legends are made.  Three days of fighting one beast of a daemon.  We attack, it fights back with twice the fury.  We spend as much energy dodging the fiery whips as we do striking blows.  There is one Hobbit who will be worthy of her own song when this Balrog is defeated.  For every blow I strike, she lands 10.  Trewest, a Hobbit with obvious Barbarian blood.  We have become a well coordinated team, continuing to attack in waves and allowing each to get rest as they require.   

669280421_1164656.gif

We will defeat this monster, hopefully sooner than later.

1.  Carry my own Weight:

Doing battle with this Balrog is taking every bit of my strength and endurance.  It's fortunate that I began this journey to "Carry my own weight", this has prepared me for today, and for the future.

Three 20 second Hollow Body Dead Hangs

1/5

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3

Still Not sure how to write this into the story line, but want to document my S&S for the day.

Prying Goblet Squat - Three sets of 5 with a 25 lbkettlebell.

StrongFirst Hip Bridge - Three sets of 5, 3 seconds each.

Halo - Three sets of 5 in each direction with a 25 lb kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - Three sets of 10, two handed, with a 16 kg kettlebell. Two sets of 10, for each arm one handed, with a 16 kg kettlebell. 

Turkish Get Ups - Four sets from each side with a 25 lb KB, and one with 16 kg.

50 60 Push Ups

110 Squats (Goblet, Prying Goblet, Full Range and Normal)

• Like 3

You're doing great, jrosto! Not just on your quests and the mini challenges, but your posts are awesome and entertaining! So far I've mostly incorporated this mini challenge into my workouts so they aren't affecting me too much right now. That won't last though because I want to do more. I don't think I'll be doing as much as you though! You are rockin' it!

This is a really entertaining challenge. I'm fascinated reading! Keep the good work up!

Yep agree with everyone else, I love reading those posts. :D And week 2  seems to be going quite well again. 

(In general the mini challenge seems quite awesome, too.) 

Thanks, I've been enjoying writing them.  

Nice. I really must ask my wife to show me how to do this. She has made us some amazing broths.

Hope I didn't give away a secret ;)

Tomorrow is my monthly session with my kettlebell trainer so I dropped one weight level for my KB routine today. It felt pretty good at a lighter weight, I was able to concentrate on form.  I might have to plan a lighter day every couple weeks or so.  I think it would do me some good.

• Like 3

Another great day! I can't believe how much you're doing on the mini challenge! I'm pretty sure my legs would fall off after 110 squats! Of course I think my legs might fall off if I tried to do ANY squats today, but that's because they are very sore after the Artemis workout yesterday.

• Like 1

Week: The Second- Day 5.  Retreat For Advantage.

And still we fight.  The Barrage of the Balrog, that just might be what this battle will be called in the ballads.  One of the Dwarves found a spot we can better defend, and attack from multiple levels.  Our seeming retreat gives the behemoth renewed energy as he, well I think it's a he, pursues our weary party.

7a8d6e3b40333e373f8e3ae2422fd14c-d98pekt

Have I mentioned the heat?  Our weapons scorch our hands, armor turns into an oven.  We need to end this soon.

1.  Carry my own Weight:

I give my Hobbit friends like AthenaMM a chance to strike the beast as I draw it's attention and dodge whips, claws and even attacking wings.  I strike as I can, but being such a large target am an easy diversion.  We fight as a team, seemingly getting stronger as the days wear on.

A quick moment for a deep and calming breath, then back into battle I go.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

Six minutes of 6 second box breathing.

Still Not sure how to write this into the story line, but want to document my S&S for the day.

Prying Goblet Squat - One sets of 5 with a 16 kgkettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - Two sets of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell. One set of 10, five RH and five LH switching in air, and, one set of 20 alternating hands each swing, with a 16 kg kettlebell. 

Turkish Get Ups - One set from each side with a 16 kg KB, and lots of partials with and without weight working on form.

Three sets of 10 KB deadlifts with a 24 kg kettlebell.

And more that I just lost count of :)

70 80 Push Ups

110 Squats (Goblet, Prying Goblet, Full Range and Normal)

• Like 2

Another great day! I can't believe how much you're doing on the mini challenge! I'm pretty sure my legs would fall off after 110 squats! Of course I think my legs might fall off if I tried to do ANY squats today, but that's because they are very sore after the Artemis workout yesterday.

Thanks, my Sweetie says I'm too hard headed for my own good :)

I had my second monthly session with my kettlebell trainer today, and he worked me well.  He was very happy with the progress I have made with my swings and goblet squat.  We worked on 1 handed swings and alternating the hands used mid swing.  That was kind of fun.  I've been leery of doing that at home, didn't want to send a cannonball into our couch :)  And we did squats and deadlifts with 24 kg.  Lots of squats and deadlifts.  I lost track of how many, but my legs got a workout.  In between all the leg work, we worked on Turkish Get Ups.  My form is good, but we worked on a couple keys to make it better, especially during that first rep.  Small things but they really help with my stability.

Tomorrow we are off to San Francisco for the medical conference.  If you hear about DFW airport being shutdown because some Nerd is doing squats and push ups in the terminal, just pay it no mind.  It's probably just some Hobbit trying to help catch up with the Dwarves

• Like 4

Thanks, my Sweetie says I'm too hard headed for my own good :)

I had my second monthly session with my kettlebell trainer today, and he worked me well.  He was very happy with the progress I have made with my swings and goblet squat.  We worked on 1 handed swings and alternating the hands used mid swing.  That was kind of fun.  I've been leery of doing that at home, didn't want to send a cannonball into our couch :)  And we did squats and deadlifts with 24 kg.  Lots of squats and deadlifts.  I lost track of how many, but my legs got a workout.  In between all the leg work, we worked on Turkish Get Ups.  My form is good, but we worked on a couple keys to make it better, especially during that first rep.  Small things but they really help with my stability.

Tomorrow we are off to San Francisco for the medical conference.  If you hear about DFW airport being shutdown because some Nerd is doing squats and push ups in the terminal, just pay it no mind.  It's probably just some Hobbit trying to help catch up with the Dwarves

Have a great time at the conference.Eat some Cipionni (sp?) stew

I love alternating hands swings. I only do them outside though, for fear of throwing my KB through the TV or sliding glass door.

I did my first real push up in pretty much forever on August 2nd.  In between 8/2 and the start of this mini challenge I did a total of 224 push ups.

This morning I surpassed that number and am at 240 for the challenge so far :)

No KB  workout this morning though, I think the other passengers on the 'plane will appreciate that fact :)

The driver should be arriving soon (nice to be traveling on someone else's dime) and our SF adventure will begin.

Have an awesome weekend Rebels, Dwarves go have a beer, Hobbits while those Dwarves are enjoying a beer lets work our rears off to catch them in this mini.  We are not that far behind.

• Like 4

I chickened out and only did 5 squats in the airport. I think my Sweetie would of sat across the waiting area if I had continued on :)

Lol, I hear you. I remember during my karate-obsessed days my soon-to-be-wife would get quite irritated with me practicing techniques in inappropriate places. Granted, I never tried it at an airport.

• Like 1