• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - Learning to be an Assassin, A Barbarian's Tale.

I chickened out and only did 5 squats in the airport. I think my Sweetie would of sat across the waiting area if I had continued on :)

5 is good. I feel totally conspicuous doing squats in public. When I did them at rest stops on my trip, I was able to find spots where there weren't a bunch of people.

• Like 2

Didn't bring the laptop on the trip, so one finger typing tonight :)

Had a very nice bowl of Cioppano Stew this evening. The mussels were the best I've had in awhile. They were large, juicy and delicious.

I was able to sneak in a few push ups and squats to help out the Hobbits. Those Dwarves are pushing hard on this challenge, but we are still in the hunt.

• Like 5

Week: The Second/Third- Days 6, 7 and 1.  The Battle Ends, and a New Adventure Begins.

The Balrog continued it's advance and we came close to breaking.  The heat, the ferociousness of the attack, the days of battle without letup almost took their toll.  The tide began to turn early yesterday morning.  We doubled out attack and it started to have an effect.  First the Balrog began to lose ground, then the flames began to dim just a bit.  We pushed harder, emboldened by out success and soon we had the beast on the defensive.  We threw everything we had at the beast, and then it was done. A smoking carcass lay before us, no daemon, just a beast that can be defeated.  Too tired to rejoice, no dancing on this day.  We defeated the Balrog, and all survived to tell the story.

tumblr_mzjakv10pW1t9qkywo3_250.gif

The Elves invited us to Rivendell to rest, relax, and await further instruction from the Guild.

tumblr_namha5aPWP1r89388o4_500.gif

1.  Carry my own Weight:

I did my part in the battle to defeat the Balrog, supporting the Guild to the best of my ability.  The Elves at Rivendell have invited us to join them in an Elvin tradition called Yo-Ga.  They told us that this would help remove the pain and stiffness from our muscles and help us to relax.  One of the Humans made some offhand comment about how silly it would be for Dwarves to act like Elves and next thing you know Yo-Ga became another Assassin Guild challenge.  Turns out we don't need Guild Masters around to get us into a competition.

See Mini Challenge Comment

Did three 20 second hollow body dead hangs today.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

0/5.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do:

One of the Dwarves who watched me work with my iron before we entered the mines gave me some pointers on how to better position my body and work more efficiently.  In Rivendell, there are plenty of quiet places where a Barbarian can work with his iron.  I missed it over the the past couple of days. 

Prying Goblet Squat - One sets of 5 with a 16 kgkettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - Three sets of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell.  Two sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 16 kg KB.

Simple and Sinister stretches plus a Frog Stretch

5. Team Hobbit Mini Quest: Blow Away Balrog -

310 total push ups.

680 total squats.

6. Team Hobbit Mini Quest: Relax in Rivendell -

Completed the Happy Hamstrings Yoga Vid with my granddaughter.

• Like 5

Monday Macros

Weight = 160. Weight gained this week = 2 lbs. Total weight loss = 91 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 26/48/26%. Daily avg cals = 2125. 

The weight gain is not accurate, and almost didn't even weight myself this morning.  Travel over two days included too much salt and I ate an airport Chicken Ceaser Salad wrap yesterday.  Plus ate late due to being on California time.  So there is some water weight and just inflammation from the trip.  I actually expected it to be a little higher than that.  

The avg cals were low, mainly due to Saturday being a way too low day.  I did eat fries to try and bring the cals up though :)

• Like 2

Week 2 Week in Review - Better late than never.

SMART Quests:

1.  Carry my own Weight: 

...I will do a bodyweight workout that focuses on pull-ups, pushups and planks three times a week..(+1 Str, +1 Con)

I did push ups and squats 6 days in a row for the Mini Challenge.  I also did hollow body dead hangs 3 times during the week.  I'm going to count this an A even though I didn't do plank specific exercises.  Push ups do work the core as planks do.  

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

I performed 6 second box breathing 3 times this week.  C for the week.  Going to have to do more in the next weeks to increase the average to 5.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

...To  begin this new learning adventure I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

Did not accomplish this week.  Not required each week so no score.

...Perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  Complete the Program Minimum training session and progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes three at least one set of the warm up exercises, 5 reps of 10 kettlebell swings with a 24kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 16kg kettlebell, and the final streatching exercises. (+1 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Sta, +1 Cha)

I performed the S&S 4 times this week as scheduled.  I am swinging with 20 kg (both 1 and 2 handed) and doing the get ups with 16 kg.  I am resting between sets of swings until my hear rate drops to ≈ 90 BPM.  The time between sets is improving weekly.  I only got in 4 workouts due to weekend travel. B

5. Team Hobbit Mini Quest: Blow Away Balrog -

310 total push ups.

680 total squats.

It was a very good week even though I did not obtain a perfect score.  I did more push ups in the past week than I've done in the past couple of decades :)

I weighed myself this morning and I was down 2 lbs from yesterday.  That is pretty much what I expected.  My actual weight gain/loss for last week was 0 lbs.  I still need to do a better job of hitting my 2300 cal/day minimum intake so I can see how my body reacts at that level.

This is a video of Anna rocking the Simple part of S&S with a 24 kg KB.

Anna is 5' 8" and 160 lbs.  Shows that I could probably stand to start putting on some weight, so long as it is the right kind of weight :)

• Like 4

Pappa J! Sorry I'm 3 weeks late to this party, sir, but I love, love, love the beginning writeup. It's a very unique and fun way to tell your story!

We need to gather up our KB's for the next Dallas NF meet-up! It looks like we could all have a good time with our friend, the handled cannonball aka kettlebell :). I know you enjoyed grilling last time, since you're the grill master after all, but we'll definitely work in the fitness aspect next time our group meets up!

How's your sweetie doing?

Keep up the Barbassin awesomeness!!!

Wolf

Week: The Third- Day 2.  Relaxing in Rivendell.

Our stay in Rivendell is nice indeed.  The Hobbits are very happy, the Elvin kitchens are open to us for all the Hobbit meals, and we have eaten well.  

tumblr_namha5aPWP1r89388o2_500.gif

1.  Carry my own Weight:

1/3

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

Rivendell has many quiet places where a Barbarian can spend a quiet moment with his thoughts and control his breath. The ever present sounds of water flowing and falling are calming to even this Barbarian.

tumblr_n9nlxbXQcj1qk0nmto1_250.gif

Six minutes of 6 second box breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3.

Prying Goblet Squat - One set of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Halo - One set of 5, in each direction, with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - Two sets of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell, and one set of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Two sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell, and one set of alternating hand swings with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Simple and Sinister stretches plus a Frog Stretch

5. Team Hobbit Mini Quest: Relax in Rivendell -

Made it half way through the yoga vid when my legs just said "Stop it", so I did.  I'll give it a shot again tomorrow.

• Like 4

Pappa J! Sorry I'm 3 weeks late to this party, sir, but I love, love, love the beginning writeup. It's a very unique and fun way to tell your story!

We need to gather up our KB's for the next Dallas NF meet-up! It looks like we could all have a good time with our friend, the handled cannonball aka kettlebell :). I know you enjoyed grilling last time, since you're the grill master after all, but we'll definitely work in the fitness aspect next time our group meets up!

How's your sweetie doing?

Keep up the Barbassin awesomeness!!!

Wolf

Better late than never Wolf :)

V is doing very well and KB's at the next get together sound awesome.  

• Like 2

I finally swung my 24 kg 'bell today :)  It felt really good to finally start working with it.  I also did a set of alternating hand swings with 16 kg just for the heck of it.  It was a good day for kettlebells.

Not so much so for the Yoga routine. About half way through "Happy Hamstrings" my legs had enough.  Not sure if I just tried the routine too soon after my KB workout, or if I'm just not ready to add that to my daily routine.  I'll give it a shot again tomorrow and see what happens.

But... I did swing a 24 kg KB :)  I'm getting closer to an 'Average Strength Gentleman" 

• Like 5

You are doing GREAT, jrosto! I'm really impressed with all the squats and push-ups you did for the mini! Congrats on working with the new KB!

As for the yoga, try one of the other videos if that one is too much.

You are really rocking this challenge! The updates are so quick that I can't always keep up but I'm still following as best I can!

Do you have plans to visit the climbing gym anytime soon?

I finally swung my 24 kg 'bell today :)  It felt really good to finally start working with it.  I also did a set of alternating hand swings with 16 kg just for the heck of it.  It was a good day for kettlebells.

Not so much so for the Yoga routine. About half way through "Happy Hamstrings" my legs had enough.  Not sure if I just tried the routine too soon after my KB workout, or if I'm just not ready to add that to my daily routine.  I'll give it a shot again tomorrow and see what happens.

But... I did swing a 24 kg KB :)  I'm getting closer to an 'Average Strength Gentleman" 

Congrats on the 25kg! I was thinking that the yoga happy hamstrings sounded like a nice hamstring stretch until you said it was more a leg workout, and then I was nope. not going do any hamstring leg workout after kb workout/ I'll figure out another yoga to do.

Yay for the 24kg swings! Or not so yay. I don't like the 24kg at the moment ;)

It felt pretty good at a lighter weight, I was able to concentrate on form.  I might have to plan a lighter day every couple weeks or so.  I think it would do me some good.

Absolutely! We always alternate lighter and heavier bells / days etc just so we can concentrate on form or so we can do a little more / a little faster. Mixing basics up is good.

• Like 1

These days, being able to swing a 24 kg bell puts you far above average. Nice work.

Thanks, I'm getting there :)

You are doing GREAT, jrosto! I'm really impressed with all the squats and push-ups you did for the mini! Congrats on working with the new KB!

As for the yoga, try one of the other videos if that one is too much.

I think I'm going to do the 40 minute shoulders one tomorrow after my Doctor's appointment and see how that goes.  The shoulders have been feeling tight of late, but 40 mins was a bit long to include in a S&S day when I have to pick up my granddaughter from school :)

You are really rocking this challenge! The updates are so quick that I can't always keep up but I'm still following as best I can!

Do you have plans to visit the climbing gym anytime soon?

Yes, I have to get my first visit scheduled.  Maybe Friday.

Great job on the challenge so far!  Way to go! 

Congrats on the 25kg! I was thinking that the yoga happy hamstrings sounded like a nice hamstring stretch until you said it was more a leg workout, and then I was nope. not going do any hamstring leg workout after kb workout/ I'll figure out another yoga to do.

Please take any comments I make about Yoga with at least a couple grains of salt.  It could be just that I'm not used to it yet.  It seems most others who are doing it are not having problems.

Yay for the 24kg swings! Or not so yay. I don't like the 24kg at the moment ;)

Absolutely! We always alternate lighter and heavier bells / days etc just so we can concentrate on form or so we can do a little more / a little faster. Mixing basics up is good.

The 24 kg is going to be my friend, weather it likes it or not :)   I guess it's time to order the next larger one I'm going to swing.  Hmmm... 28 or just go ahead and get the 32?

• Like 1

That would be badass! I can't really swing the 32kg very well, it's a bit too hard on my grip. Maybe I should work on that, it would be a nice mission, trying to keep up with your swinging powers :D

• Like 1

Week: The Third- Day 3.  

I think it finally hit us, the enormity of what we accomplished in the Mines.  We defeated a Balrog!  We were too exhausted to celebrate at the time, but the Mead started flowing heavily today.  The Dwarves may have gotten a little too celebratory.

The-Hobbit-image-the-hobbit-36117723-400

tumblr_n2hy9pTPSy1s1ao7zo1_250.gif

It is a good thing our hosts are so understanding.

1.  Carry my own Weight:

I am sure that when we return home the Guild Masters will be wanting to check my progress in the skills of carrying my own weight.  I found a low branch that fit my hands perfectly and did the reverse pull ups.  They were nice and controlled while I held good position all the way down

Hollow Body Dead Hang - One 15 second HB Dead Hang after an untimed dead hang to stretch my back.

Reverse Pull Ups - Two 10 second reverse pull ups.

1/5

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3.

Prying Goblet Squat - One set of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Halo - One set of 5, in each direction, with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - Three sets of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell, and one set of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Two sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.

Simple and Sinister stretches.

Not today..

• Like 2

That would be badass! I can't really swing the 32kg very well, it's a bit too hard on my grip. Maybe I should work on that, it would be a nice mission, trying to keep up with your swinging powers :D

It will be pretty badass wouldn't it? :)  But it's still a ways away.  I just kind of like having my next bell sitting on the hearth, kind of a constant reminder of my next goal.

You are the true badass, being a national record holder and all :)

• Like 2

Week: The Third- Day 4.  At Home in the Healing House

The Elven leaders have learned about my wound that was delivered by the Melnibonian Dragon Lord with his Black Sword.  They asked that I come to the Rivendell Healing House to be examined by their best healers. I, of course, complied.  

They were very courteous, but thorough.  They got a little excited when they first saw the extent of my scar, a deep slash running from armpit to armpit.  They poked and they prodded, they even pricked me to remove a small quantity of blood for observation.  They then had me blow into a reed as hard as I could, several times over.  After several hours of exams, they came to the conclusion that I was one very lucky Barbarian.  By the extent of my wound they determined that the sword wielded by the Albino was one of the legendary Rune Swords, and that very few have lived to tell the tale after encountering such a blade.  After replenishing my supply of medicinal herbs, they sent me back to the Hobbits.

1.  Carry my own Weight:

2/3

3/5

Not today..

• Like 2

Today was my monthly visit to the Transplant Clinic. 

It turned out very nicely :)

Here are the results of my past 6 months worth of Pulmonary Function Tests:

CF84D091-28A2-46F1-BDF8-0AAB4BF7B86A.png

FVC = Forced Vital Capacity.  It is basically my lung capacity, and it is awesome!

The head of the team came in and talked with me about my progress.  We talked about my exercise program and a bit about diet.  He's the one that had to approve my Primal diet prior to my being listed.  

I'm a pretty happy camper.  Pretty much took a rest day today, so back at it tomorrow.

Have a great evening my Rebel friends.

• Like 7